[Update: Unbox Therapy] Meet Eye: Android phone in a case for iPhones

randomhkkid

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boboseye/eye-take-your-phone-to-the-next-level

So this is pretty insane, basically a full android phone built into a case for the iPhone. Interesting to note that it seems to use the iPhone hardware for certain things, i.e. Camera, microphone, speaker.

Helio P20 octa-core

5" FHD AMOLED Screen

Nougat

2800mAh

NFC

IR blaster

$189 for a model that doesn't feature cellular connectivity

Hopes to ship August September

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boboseye/eye-take-your-phone-to-the-next-level

Can't wait for the Kickfarted episode.

Full specs

Spoiler
  • Display 

5" FHD (1920x1080) 
    AMOLED Technology
    AOD supported

• Memory  

3GB LPDDR3 

• Storage  

16GB onboard 
    Expandable by up to 256GB with a microSD card 
    Data transfer speeds of up to 130 MB/ps between the phone and Eye. 

• Battery 

2800mAh 
    Qi wireless charging

• Operating System 

Android Nougat 7.1 with Google Play services
    2 years of OS updates

• Wireless 

GSM: 850(B5)/900(B8)/1800(B3)/1900(B2) 
    WCDMA: 850(B5)/900(B8)/1900(B2)/2100(B1) 
    LTE FDD: 2100(B1)/1800(B3)/2600(B7)/800(B20) 
    Up to 300 Mbps 
    Dual SIM standby or 1 Micro SIM Card and 1 microSD Card 
    Both SIM slots are compatible with 4G
    When working simultaneously, only one slot can receive LTE service and the other GSM

IR blaster and receiver
    NFC 
    a/b/g/n/ac WiFi 
    Bluetooth 4.2
    FM radio 
    GPS 

• Sensors 

Gyro 
    Accelerometer 
    Proximity sensor 
    Ambient light sensor

• Chipset 

MediaTek Helio P20 (MT6757) 

CPU 
    2.3 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 
    1.6 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A53  

GPU 
    Mali-T880 MP2 900MHz

• Physical Connectors  

Lightning socket and plug 
    3.5 mm headphone jack

• Size and Weight  

For iPhone 6, 6s, and 7 
    3.5 ounces (90 grams) 
    5.22 x 2.75 x 0.51 in (142.8 x 69.8 x 13.1 mm)  

For iPhone 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and 7 Plus 
    3.25 ounces (98 grams) 
    6.4 x 3.17 x 0.52 in (162.5 x 80.5 x 13.3 mm) 

Editorial piece:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/13/14908218/eye-esti-inc-iphone-case-android-why-kickstarter

Unbox Therapy Video

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Lol I kinda wanna buy an iphone just to use that xD

4 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

...but why?

why not 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

It is a good idea if you are using an iphone and want all the listed features, but if you want the listed features then why not just buy an android..?

LOL that case is much better then iphone 7/iphone 7 plus itself :D

It’s got two SIM card slots, is expandable by microSD cards, has a 3.5mm headphone jack and IR blaster, and contains its own separate battery 2800 mah (much bigger then i7 and i'm sure it charges much faster then i7 plus, which needs 3:30 hours to charge shitty 2900 mah battery LOL ) and NFC chip. Oh, and it’s got its own screen, a 5-inch AMOLED display. Price/performance is much better too. With one iphone price you can buy several of these

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I'm just going to buy an S8+ to go along with my 7 Plus.  At the price point they have it's going to be a piece of shit device.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I heard you like phones so I got you a phone that goes on your phone so you can phone while you phone.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Why would you want an inferior phone to be paired with your iPhone anyway?  /s

So its a case that goes over an iphone to add those features?

Why not just buy an android with the features it has and save a lot of money? 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

This actually looks ridiculous. I don't know anyone who owns an iPhone that also wants an android phone on the back. Like, wtf?!? What's the advantages? Just get a battery case. Or just get an android phone.

40 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

It’s got two SIM card slots, is expandable by microSD cards, has a 3.5mm headphone jack and IR blaster, and contains its own separate battery 2800 mah (much bigger then i7 and i'm sure it charges much faster then i7 plus, which needs 3:30 hours to charge shitty 2900 mah battery LOL ) and NFC chip. Oh, and it’s got its own screen, a 5-inch AMOLED display. Price/performance is much better too. With one iphone price you can buy several of these

iOS is much less taxing on the battery so for the same capacity it has much longer battery life so just comparing capacities doesn't do it justice. And the A10 is WAY better than the p20 in here, and just because it's AMOLED doesn't mean it's better. The LCD panels Apple uses are some of the best, even compared to AMOLED displays. Black levels are pretty good and display accuracy is outstanding, I don't think any other smartphone manufacturer has as accurate a display as the iPhone 7. I'd much rather have the display on the iPhone 7 than something like the OP3's display. And it also has a much wider color gamut (DCI-P3) compared to sRGB on android (granted not that many apps support it but in the ones that do it looks amazing). And the iPhone 7 also has NFC.

Granted, for the price it's probably better price/perf, but then again compare it to something like an s7 and you'll see the same thing. If you only compare price/perf, then there's no point to any flagship things, smartphones or GPUs.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

A simple way to have the best of both worlds all on one device. I mean its pretty cool especially that you can run both at the same time for quick switching. 

RIP battery though

49 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

brace yourself, trigger party is coming 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

"Yo dawg, I heard you like phones, so I put a phone in your phone so you can call while you call".

It looks like worse of both worlds...

A: I have never heard of anyone complaining about the iPhone display (IRL)

B: you literally have 2 screens to break (which is a big problem IRL)

Also, why would you want to cellotape a phone... on the back of your phone?

Honestly, I have no idea who is it for. My sister/brother would hate it, as someone who has both and makes app, it just does not appeal to me at all ( why not buy a separate phone just for the same money?)..... am I missing the target audience here?

inb4 lawsuit

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

iphone doesn't like it when another hardware thing tries to piggy back off of iphone.

theres no way in hell you're going to be able to use the iphone speakers for a phone, unless they are using some kind of app, which the standby is going to be fucking terrible and unreliable.

theres going to be some sort of connectivity issues, i can foresee that. two phones that close, with nfc, with wireless charging, competing lte bands and bluetooth, yeah no.

lightning port (female) on the case/phone itself? fuck no. apple: goto hell, and rot.

gonna wait for production issues, backers not recieving it, barely coming to market, 

kickstarter crap

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

This actually looks ridiculous. I don't know anyone who owns an iPhone that also wants an android phone on the back. Like, wtf?!? What's the advantages? Just get a battery case. Or just get an android phone.

iOS is much less taxing on the battery so for the same capacity it has much longer battery life so just comparing capacities doesn't do it justice. And the A10 is WAY better than the p20 in here, and just because it's AMOLED doesn't mean it's better. The LCD panels Apple uses are some of the best, even compared to AMOLED displays. Black levels are pretty good and display accuracy is outstanding, I don't think any other smartphone manufacturer has as accurate a display as the iPhone 7. I'd much rather have the display on the iPhone 7 than something like the OP3's display. And it also has a much wider color gamut (DCI-P3) compared to sRGB on android (granted not that many apps support it but in the ones that do it looks amazing). And the iPhone 7 also has NFC.

Granted, for the price it's probably better price/perf, but then again compare it to something like an s7 and you'll see the same thing. If you only compare price/perf, then there's no point to any flagship things, smartphones or GPUs.

anyone who doesn't have ios 10.2 or lower on 64bit devices excluding A10 devices

:P 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 minutes ago, themctipers said:

anyone who doesn't have ios 10.2 or lower on 64bit devices excluding A10 devices

:P 

? Not sure I understand...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Useless

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |