10 year old faces felony after spending $800 from his grandmother's credit card on MineCraft

TopWargamer

http://kotaku.com/10-year-old-faces-felony-after-cops-say-he-spent-800-o-1462327345?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

I have no idea how the hell this is even possible but a 10-year-old kid in Nebraska is facing felony-with-an-F charges for using his grandmother's credit card to spend $800 on a video game online. Authorities and local media say the game is Minecraft. The hell?

If there is even $800 worth of skin packs for Minecraft in the Xbox Live Marketplace, I am not aware of it, and I doubt you could rack up a bill that high in in-app purchases for the mobile edition of the game, either. But that is what cops in Lincoln, Neb. and media, including the Associated Press, are alleging.

The unnamed kid is said to have used his 74-year-old grandma's credit card to rack up the purchases. She notified the bank after seeing suspicious activity, and the bank told her to file a police report, after which it would then cancel the charges. That landed her grandson in trouble with the law.

The case has been referred to prosecutors; the boy is under suspicion of felony theft.

Now this is just overdoing it. You're charging a 10 year old...for a felony. Was it wrong what he did? Yes, but he's 10, I'm sure he didn't mean to do it maliciously to harm his grandmother. This is just absolutely outrageous. And how do you even spend $800 on MineCraft???

COMIC SANS

Really $800, I can build 2 pcs with that money

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

And how do you even spend $800 on MineCraft???

On like server donations?

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

My machine cost $800 (specs in my profile)

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

It's the principle. It's called teaching them a lesson that stealing is not okay. I think she's doing the right thing. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

She's ruining the kids life... Might as well make him do the dishes for 100 hours ($8 an hour makes up for it).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

It's the principle. It's called teaching them a lesson that stealing is not okay. I think she's doing the right thing. 

Well of course stealing isn't ok, but the kid is 10, and again, I'm sure he didn't do this to maliciously harm his grandmother. The kid is being charged with a FELONY, which means that a TEN YEAR OLD can get a year or more in jail. That's insane. There has to be a better solution to this than throwing a TEN YEAR OLD in jail for more than a year.

The kid probably doesn't even know what's going on right now.

COMIC SANS

They're gonna put all the blame on the kid, who at 10 years old is about as smart as the average dog, and none of the blame will be placed on his grandmother for leaving her purse/wallet somewhere where the kid can get his hands on it. When shit like this happens it's more the fault of the guardians than the kid because if they raised the kid properly he would have known not to touch the card in the first place.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Well of course stealing isn't ok, but the kid is 10, and again, I'm sure he didn't do this to maliciously harm his grandmother. The kid is being charged with a FELONY, which means that a TEN YEAR OLD can get a year or more in jail. That's insane. There has to be a better solution to this than throwing a TEN YEAR OLD in jail for more than a year.

The kid probably doesn't even know what's going on right now.

She's ruining the kids life... Might as well make him do the dishes for 100 hours ($8 an hour makes up for it).

Let me tell you the story of my childhood. 

As a kid i collected these things called Star Wars Miniatures. They were made by Wizards of The Coast. Every once and a while the Rare/Very Rare ones would go missing, or get stolen. We later found the culprit. My younger brother. Now we all know this just sounds harmless. However it's the principle. Stealing is stealing. No matter the age. If you want to blame anyone it's him. At 10 i knew better then to steal. So should he. Should also add i have some issues that would put me in a more than likely position to do stupid shit. Even at 10 you have enough knowledge to know that stealing is wrong.

Principle. I may sound cold but trust me it's better for the kid to learn the difference from right and wrong rather then go through life thinking he can do whatever he wants without consequence. If they don't end up charging him i guarantee he ends up in jail. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

What is happening to the World..

1. How the hell do you spend 800$ on minecraft

2. I know the grandmother wants to teach the kid a lesson but this is not the right way to do it.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

why is his grandmother not even dropping the charges

That's probably a better question...

... That's not how it works. 

Once it enters Felony charges, it ends up being the State (or wtv) vs the kid. Not his grandma. It's literally out of her hands at that point.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

As a kid i collected these things called Star Wars Miniatures. They were made by Wizards of The Coast. Every once and a while the Rare/Very Rare ones would go missing, or get stolen. We later found the culprit. My younger brother. Now we all know this just sounds harmless. However it's the principle. Stealing is stealing. No matter the age. If you want to blame anyone it's him. At 10 i knew better then to steal. So should he. Should also add i have some issues that would put me in a more than likely position to do stupid shit. Even at 10 you have enough knowledge to know that stealing is wrong.

Principle. I may sound cold but trust me it's better for the kid to learn the difference from right and wrong rather then go through life thinking he can do whatever he wants without consequence. If they don't end up charging him i guarantee he ends up in jail. 

Stealing is one thing and giving money away to somebody from a plastic card is another thing. You can't compare these to things. Obliviously the outcome is the same (800$ are gone) but i'm pretty sure that most 10 year olds won't get that.

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Maybe he used it to buy stuff on a private server.

They're gonna put all the blame on the kid, who at 10 years old is about as smart as the average dog, and none of the blame will be placed on his grandmother for leaving her purse/wallet somewhere where the kid can get his hands on it. When shit like this happens it's more the fault of the guardians than the kid because if they raised the kid properly he would have known not to touch the card in the first place.

You're blaming the grandmother for leaving her purse unattended inside the house? That's even more ridiculous.

There has to be a better solution to this than throwing a TEN YEAR OLD in jail for more than a year.

The only way for him to face jail time is to be tried as an adult, which will surely not happen. The records are usually sealed once you turn 18 or something, so it can't really ruin his life either.

Wait, I thought you couldn't be legally held responsible if you're under 12 years of age...

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

This is retarded. What is the world coming to....

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1. Thing guys in germany a felony is a Verbrechen wich is a serious crime and the criminal has to go in yail atleast one year. Is that the same thing in the US? Because they aren't going to put a kid in yail for 1 year rigth? I know that you guys are crazy but that would be full retard.

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

1. Thing guys in germany a felony is a Verbrechen wich is a serious crime and the criminal has to go in yail atleast one year. Is that the same thing in the US? Because they aren't going to put a kid in yail for 1 year rigth? I know that you guys are crazy but that would be full retard.

Minors can't face jail time, be it in Germany or the US.

As

a kid i collected these things called Star Wars Miniatures. They were

made by Wizards of The Coast. Every once and a while the Rare/Very Rare

ones would go missing, or get stolen. We later found the culprit. My

younger brother. Now we all know this just sounds harmless. However it's

the principle. Stealing is stealing. No matter the age. If you want to

blame anyone it's him. At 10 i knew better then to steal. So should he.

Should also add i have some issues that would put me in a more than

likely position to do stupid shit. Even at 10 you have enough knowledge

to know that stealing is wrong.

Principle. I may sound

cold but trust me it's better for the kid to learn the difference from

right and wrong rather then go through life thinking he can do whatever

he wants without consequence. If they don't end up charging him i

guarantee he ends up in jail. 

Getting a job as a felon is very difficult. I'd rather cut his toes off than give him a bad record.

I'm pretty sure they can.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Normally yes but why is that a thing? 

Getting a job as a felon is very difficult. I'd rather cut his toes off than give him a bad record.

I'm pretty sure they can.

Wtf? You would cut of his toes? That's only 800$ that ain't that mutch.