Radeon Pro Duo drops down to $800 MSRP

goodtofufriday
1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

1200w psu from when i ran 2 6990s. I fully intend to go 2x duo pros. 

Dope

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

1200w psu from when i ran 2 6990s. I fully intend to go 2x duo pros. 

They even cost less than 2 6990s did back in the day xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

This can kinda be a Titan x pee alternative for those Korean 4k freesync screens. 

But I'd wait for even lower prices with Vega close to follow they could get even cheaper: the 295x2 did but this one might actually run on a sub 700watt psu.

The 295x2 + rest of the system can be ran on a good quality 650w psu,  like a EVGA G2 or RMx650

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

They even cost less than 2 6990s did back in the day xD

I try not to think about what i spent back then lol. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

14 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

There are a couple of reasons why you don't wanna do that..... 

1. Size
  2. Power consumption
  3. Heat
  4. Liquid cooled

For an HTPC the RX 480/GTX 1060 are perfect choices IMO....

1) Is it quite big but it looks amazing.

2)Power draw is lower than two 980 Ti's.

3)TDP is only 350W

4)Could be inconvenient but I think it's more of a plus than a negative.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

4 hours ago, Citadelen said:

1) Is it quite big but it looks amazing.

2)Power draw is lower than two 980 Ti's.

3)TDP is only 350W

4)Could be inconvenient but I think it's more of a plus than a negative.

Aren't HTPCs meant to be small and efficient? 

How can you fit it in something like a Node 202, let alone power it.....

For a normal desktop, it's a steal for the price!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Still 4GB only for GPU... makes no sense

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Aren't HTPCs meant to be small and efficient? 

How can you fit it in something like a Node 202, let alone power it.....

For a normal desktop, it's a steal for the price!

HTPC's are supposed to be small, yes, but efficient? Well in theory, everything should be efficient, even the largest full ATX gaming beast. But I would say that's not an inherent requirement of an HTPC, no.

Granted, fitting one or two of these into an HTPC sized case (ITX or smaller mATX) would be quite the challenge, no doubt.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

22 minutes ago, Agost said:

This isn't new...

Also, because of the increased VRAM bandwidth, some benchmarks have shown that it doesn't get held back as much by the 4GB HBM1, because it can load things on the fly much faster. Obviously you're still limited to a total dataset size, but that isn't as big of an issue as some may think.

Furthermore, these were never designed as a primary gaming card. They're a hybrid dev/gaming/workstation card.

And anyway, they can't add more RAM. It's a limitation of the Fiji XT HBM1 architecture. It'll be fixed with Vega, which is still potentially months away.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

HTPC's are supposed to be small, yes, but efficient?

Yes, in the sense that you can't *properly* cool a GPU that draws more than 200W in an SFF/ITX case.... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes, in the sense that you can't *properly* cool a GPU that draws more than 200W in an SFF/ITX case.... 

Sure you can. Depends on the setup. A GPU cooled with an AIO waterblock? Actually easier to cool in an ITX case, assuming there's room to mount the Radiator.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Sure you can. Depends on the setup. A GPU cooled with an AIO waterblock? Actually easier to cool in an ITX case, assuming there's room to mount the Radiator.

Yes, but there is no room in something like the Node 202 or the A4 SFX for a radiator..... If there was, cooling wouldn't be a problem...

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes, but there is no room in something like the Node 202 or the A4 SFX for a radiator..... If there was, cooling wouldn't be a problem...

Sure but those aren't your only options. If you want something that compact and small, then yes, you're limited to ITX and a really slim/short GPU. But an HTPC can be larger. Hell the original "HTPC's" that came out were Mid-tower ATX computers lol. Obviously it's good that they've shrunk in size, but there's a lot of variation to choose from. I have an mATX HTPC case that can take full height GPU's (though only short-ish ones) and could definitely take at least one 120mm rad, possibly two.

14 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You can always mount it on the outside =P That was an extremely common practice until recently. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

This isn't new...

Also, because of the increased VRAM bandwidth, some benchmarks have shown that it doesn't get held back as much by the 4GB HBM1, because it can load things on the fly much faster. Obviously you're still limited to a total dataset size, but that isn't as big of an issue as some may think.

Furthermore, these were never designed as a primary gaming card. They're a hybrid dev/gaming/workstation card.

And anyway, they can't add more RAM. It's a limitation of the Fiji XT HBM1 architecture. It'll be fixed with Vega, which is still potentially months away.

AFAIK that test was for a single Fiji chip, the use case for crossfire Fiji should be 4k thus, more vram switching cause of the added power could change things drastically. 

So I need to see Fiji crossfire doing 4k and pushing far above the 4gb vram limit. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

AFAIK that test was for a single Fiji chip, the use case for crossfire Fiji should be 4k thus, more vram switching cause of the added power could change things drastically. 

So I need to see Fiji crossfire doing 4k and pushing far above the 4gb vram limit. 

Agreed - but I would like to see benchmarks to confirm either way before just randomly decrying "4GB ISN'T ENOUGH ON FIJI!" with zero proof :P

While Vega is not here yet I wonder what a dual one would end up being.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

This isn't new...

I know, I know. But 4GB is still not enough for UHD, even if it's fast RAM 

8 hours ago, Agost said:

They technically couldn't make it any more.

4GB was the maximum limit for HBM1.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

43 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Again

I KNOW

It still makes no sense for consumers which want to use it for gaming at high resolution, since it will be seriously vram limited.

On January 19, 2017 at 0:52 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

Me want...agh, can't decide whether I want a dual GPU beast again in my life or a efficient single GPU :/ (to be honest, my RX470 is serving me perfectly fine so...I'm actually tempted to not upgrade to Vega anymore and just get a 500 quid more expensive car :P)

Is 500 that much difference?

Is a dual GPU thing like this different from SLI/Crossfire?  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

When you have like a budget from anywhere of £1000-4500~, yes :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

its 2x Fury Nano + a AIO... a Nano still costs like 350-400$ each...

Technically not a difference between SLI or Crossfire. BUT, they have onboard PLX chips to have a physical PCIe interconnect between the PCIe connector on the board and the cores and between the cores themselves.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well they could have made the memory interface on the GPU larger and doubled the number of HBM stacks to get 8GB of vRAM. It wasn't a technical limit it was a sanity limit as to accommodate the use of more HBM stacks at the time would have made the total card price so insanely high none would have been sold.

A technical limit is something like the maximum addressable memory space in a 32bit application. AMD imposed a design limit which is self chosen rather than a technical limit which is an impossibility to exceed due to factors outside of your control.

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed - but I would like to see benchmarks to confirm either way before just randomly decrying "4GB ISN'T ENOUGH ON FIJI!" with zero proof :P

there was tests like that when Fiji came out... Fiji, due to the insane bandwidth of HBM and the extremely wide GPU pipeline, doesnt crap out before you hit 5K resolution....