ASUS announce their ROG Swift PG27UQ 4K 144Hz G-Sync HDR monitor

Joe_Easy

edit OP to make it easier for night theme users by removing the formatting, apologies for the delay

You can't ask for more than 1000 USD for a consumer monitor, nobody will buy it.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

6 minutes ago, Terodius said:

You can't ask for more than 1000 USD for a consumer monitor, nobody will buy it.

The intent is to start it at $1200US and I'll bet they'll be sold out almost immediately.  Like it or not, there is a chunk of folks who are considered consumers who will purchase these panels (I'm including the Acer 27" as well).

I'll also bet Asus will stick to their normal scheduling.  If they say "availability in the US by Q3 2017", it means sometime next year.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

I'd be surprised if this was less than $2000CAN

F me I'm so bitter about rip off pricing in Canada, I bet this is how misanthrope feels about his sjws

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

This makes me wonder. Consoles have upscaling to 4k ( which is not true 4k but it does look prettier) will PC's get same stuff? Because even if you have sli 1080 you wont run 4k 144fps triple A game on ultra settings...But maybe 4k upscaled?

With a high resolution, high refresh rate, and phenomenal picture, the ROG Swift PG27UQ is versatile enough for gaming, entertainment, and content creation. It’s scheduled to arrive in North America in Q3 for $1199.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/04/rog-pg27uq-intro/

I payed ~430$ for a LG UHD HDR10 TV right in the morning of The New Year's Eve

1200$ for a UHD HDR monitor with G-Sync ..... they're not in their right minds, but I can see people buying it

if that thing was a professional monitor with DCI certified color accuracy, I would understand

but since it's ASUS, I'm totally expecting to see them with light bleed and weird ass color uniformity

That looks great! Nice to see them really adding some new stuff to monitors all at once, and not stretching it out over a long period of time. I would have liked to see a 30" model, but I get it. A lot of people are probably still in the "that'd be too big!" mind set.

Now where's my 38" 4k ultrawide...

22 hours ago, Energycore said:

So $1000 at the very least then. How many does ASUS expect to sell, 500?

Edit: fix fer night theme plz :(

They'll sell way more than that. $1,199 isn't really a whole lot when you think about it in terms of a high end build.

22 hours ago, arnavvr said:

I think it will cheaper than $1,300 because that is the price of the X34 and this is (IMO) is worse.

There are a lot of people that will want the 144hz, and will pay for it. Plus I know quite a few people that'd rather have a 16:9 monitor instead of a 21:9. And, lastly, 4k.

22 hours ago, JohnT said:

The ASUS 34" curved "3.5k" retails for $1,200. Surely this can't compete too much in terms of price

It has a lot of features that this one doesn't. Higher refresh rate, quantum dot (if that actually makes a difference, probably not, but it's in there), G Sync, and 4k.

22 hours ago, eLucid said:

I'm not really feeling the hype on this. Where's the thin bezel? This panel should be at least 30" as well.

Also, gl finding anything on the market to drive this thing.

Titan X SLI. Or even a 1080TI likely, if you drop the settings to High instead of Ultra (and maybe tweak a couple other settings).

22 hours ago, Energycore said:

By loads of people you mean how many?

I know at least 5, so it's not that hard to believe. Also look at the ones that have already expressed interest.

It's a niche monitor. They're not looking to sell millions of them. Even if they only sell 50,000 of them, that's still $60mil in sales.

22 hours ago, JohnT said:

Money to burn or credit to burn?

Is it really so hard for you to believe that there are a huge number of people that can easily afford a $1,200 monitor, without using a credit card?

21 hours ago, JohnT said:

I have an iPhone 5c. 1440p resolution in a 6" display? JEZUZ CHRIZT! And then people turn to their trashy Vizio 65" televisions with 720p MPEGs programming........... such a disconnect

To be fair, you sit a whole lot farther from your TV than you do from your phone. Something that you hold up to your face can use the extra pixels a little better than those you're sitting around 10 feet from.

21 hours ago, JohnT said:

Yeah I'm probably older than you and stuff. I ended up upgrading to the PG348Q around last Thanksgiving and it's much easier on my eyes. 3440x1440 at 100% scaling no problem

Age doesn't really have anything to do with it :P

Odd, seeing as their the same size except a little wider.

21 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

Well a 980ti will certainly not cut it for 4K 144FPS. I don't think a 1080ti would either. I guess I have to wait for Volta but by then 8K is all the rage.

Lower the settings and it will. No need for Ultra...plus..you can always add a second ;)

12 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

ASUS buys their panel stock from the A- and B+ bins of LG's production lines.

Have any proof to back that up?

2 hours ago, Terodius said:

Entirely untrue. There's already many monitors over that price, and they do quite well.

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/04/rog-pg27uq-intro/

I payed ~430$ for a LG UHD HDR10 TV

1200$ for a UHD HDR monitor with G-Sync ..... they're not in their right minds, but I can see people buying it

Where did you find a TV with those features that cheap? Was it on sale?

I don't think the price is that bad, I think it's right in line with what else they have in their line up.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They'll sell way more than that. $1,199 isn't really a whole lot when you think about it in terms of a high end build.

It's not a whole lot when you make millions per month I guess xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It's not a whole lot when you make millions per month I guess xD

Err...it's not like it's a monthly fee :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

22 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Where did you find a TV with those features that cheap? Was it on sale?

at the local grocery store that also sells Hi-Fi equipment xD

Awesome, some serious high end monitor. We'll need new DisplayPort soon :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

I'd be surprised if this was less than $2000CAN

F me I'm so bitter about rip off pricing in Canada, I bet this is how misanthrope feels about his sjws

Blame your government for making your currency so dependant upon oil prices. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

On January 4, 2017 at 4:49 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

Welp. Time to take out a loan.

On the flip side, anyone interested in some monitors? :D

Is this going to be an IPS monitor or is this some different type that's better for color accuracy?

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

It has a lot of features that this one doesn't. Higher refresh rate, quantum dot (if that actually makes a difference, probably not, but it's in there), G Sync, and 4k.

The 34" panel has g-sync also plus it is curved. This new panel is flat. Not that there is a significant difference between curved and flat, but generally curved screens cost more. I don't know between screen real estate, features, etc., I think their "older" 34 inch and this panel are "close." If this panel costs more than $1,200 (which it probably will), it's all for greed.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Age doesn't really have anything to do with it :P

Odd, seeing as their the same size except a little wider.

Haha age has nothing to do with eye sight?? You must be a super youngen xD You're right though. I just double checked and they are the same DPI (3440x1440@34 vs 2560x1440@27). I wonder why I have less trouble seeing 100% scaled text on my 34 compared to 27... maybe I sit closer?? Hmm

Oh and both the 34" and this panel have the same FUGLY and over sized base -_-

Pretty damn impressive. Certainly the first of its kind.

I'd still prefer my X34 Predator though...

14 minutes ago, JohnT said:

The 34" panel has g-sync also plus it is curved. This new panel is flat. Not that there is a significant difference between curved and flat, but generally curved screens cost more. I don't know between screen real estate, features, etc., I think their "older" 34 inch and this panel are "close." If this panel costs more than $1,200 (which it probably will), it's all for greed.

Haha age has nothing to do with eye sight?? You must be a super youngen xD You're right though. I just double checked and they are the same DPI (3440x1440@34 vs 2560x1440@27). I wonder why I have less trouble seeing 100% scaled text on my 34 compared to 27... maybe I sit closer?? Hmm

Ah yes, my mistake. The curve is nice, but on a 27" panel it's unnecessary and could even be detrimental.

There was another member that showed a link stating a $1,199 price tag, which I think is pretty much where it should be.

Greed, or priced to market? It's a high end panel, with first in class features. That doesn't come for budget pricing.

Couldn't say! I can't use 1080p at that size, so..

Haha, no. I'm likely the same age as you, if not older. Unlike a huge majority of this forum.

I'm starting to feel like I'm walking into a Chuck E. Cheese every time I come on. :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

On 1/4/2017 at 5:36 PM, tmcclelland455 said:

$9,999.99 + a kidney or testicle.

I really like how you included "or testicle" in there. Lol. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

5 hours ago, Terodius said:

Blame your government for making your currency so dependant upon oil prices. 

It's not that.  Its when it's exchange and an additional 15 to 40% on top of exchange is the cost.  For no other reason than "screw Canada because we can".

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I'm gonna be that guy and say that it looks horrible, as most ROG monitors do. If only Asus was to make a new line of monitors that were not called ROG but had all their bells and whistles. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Ah yes, my mistake. The curve is nice, but on a 27" panel it's unnecessary and could even be detrimental.

There was another member that showed a link stating a $1,199 price tag, which I think is pretty much where it should be.

Greed, or priced to market? It's a high end panel, with first in class features. That doesn't come for budget pricing.

Couldn't say! I can't use 1080p at that size, so..

Haha, no. I'm likely the same age as you, if not older. Unlike a huge majority of this forum.

I'm starting to feel like I'm walking into a Chuck E. Cheese every time I come on. :P

You saw $1,200 for the new 27 panel? That would be delicious. I call it greed... they call it profit margins. 

Uh yeah I know exactly what you mean about the cheesy rat place. I'm kind of curious what will happen around here when Linus turns 40+. Uncool age status haha I'd still watch him though

3 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I'm gonna be that guy and say that it looks horrible, as most ROG monitors do. If only Asus was to make a new line of monitors that were not called ROG but had all their bells and whistles. 

The front of panel is GORGEOUS. I have an ROG monitor and it looks very classy. There is nothing "ROG" about it. Unfortunately the rear and the base... -_-

For all the potential haters... just for the record I use a third party stand. The ROG base that came with my monitor is still in the box

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

The front of panel is GORGEOUS. I have an ROG monitor and it looks very classy. There is nothing "ROG" about it. Unfortunately the rear and the base... -_-

For all the potential haters... just for the record I use a third party stand. The ROG base that came with my monitor is still in the box

Oh I'm not talking about the panel, I'm talking about everything else except the panel. I'm not sure the panel qualifies to be considered in "the looks of a monitor".

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

11 hours ago, Orangeator said:

I really like how you included "or testicle" in there. Lol. 

Hey, you can sell one of your balls for like 35K so why not include it? :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I would love this, if it had a Dell Stand, Infinity bezels, and wasn't made by Asus, because of their awful QC.  Hopefully BenQ catches on.