My Local PC Shop Stole my CPU

22 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

If I were you, I'd drive up there every single day I possibly could asking for it without loosing your cool. Just ask for it and if they say I don't know, ask for the manager and explain it to him. If he says no, leave and come back the next day.

If you do that tey to do it in a busy part of the day so all the customers will know what happend

My life

1 hour ago, DKL said:

God that's disgusting. 

I'd say put their site and email into the OP so others don't need to read through the whole thread to find it if you want to go that route.

I did, editing the OP and make it the first line of text. Thanks :) Hopefully someone comes across this post interested in their service and decides against going there

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

3 hours ago, Frankieanime158 said:

I did, editing the OP and make it the first line of text. Thanks :) Hopefully someone comes across this post interested in their service and decides against going there

Okay, good luck with everything! I hope a happy ending comes as a result of this. The current situation as you've described it is absolutely ridiculous. 

@JCBiggs If you have nothing nice to say...

Besides, there's a difference between being an idiot and being unsuspicious. 

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

and you dont have to hire a lawyer.. have them charged with theft. that will get the court case going.  I charged the city government with theft one time because i couldnt afford lawyers and i won.  it happens. 

18 minutes ago, DKL said:

Okay, good luck with everything! I hope a happy ending comes as a result of this. The current situation as you've described it is absolutely ridiculous. 

@JCBiggs If you have nothing nice to say...

Besides, there's a difference between being an idiot and being unsuspicious. 

dude...

#1)you walked into a shop that you KNEW had a reputation for ripping people off (ie, the memory situation with your brother)

#2)you left a cpu without getting any kind of receipt

#3)you waited 4 months before you went back in

cut your loses and chalk it up to paying for your knowledge. post a shitty review on google, and drop it..  you lost.  its ok man.. people do stupid shit all the time

2 hours ago, JCBiggs said:

dude...

#1)you walked into a shop that you KNEW had a reputation for ripping people off (ie, the memory situation with your brother)

#2)you left a cpu with getting any kind of receipt

cut your loses and chalk it up to paying for your knowledge. post a shitty review on google, and drop it..  you lost. 

I think you have me confused with somebody else...

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Well this is one store I'm avoiding like plauge when I visit canada in the summer.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

If you have any written evidence of them acknowledging recipe of the CPU (an invoice when you dropped it off, an e-mail from them acknowledging their possession of it, etc.) then just call the local police department and report then for theft. You might also want to sue them in civil court but that means lawyers and all of that hassle.

If you don't have any hard evidence that you turned the CPU over to them though, well then you are screwed and no one is going to do anything because it is just your word against theirs.

This is horrible. I contacted them just to tell them that they were idiotic assholes. Probably won't help, but at least they will know what they are.

1 hour ago, JCBiggs said:

dude...

#2)you left a cpu without getting any kind of receipt

cut your loses and chalk it up to paying for your knowledge. post a shitty review on google, and drop it..  you lost.  its ok man.. people do stupid shit all the time

There's a difference between selling CPU hardware over priced (which 95% of every store does), and outright stealing from people.

And yea, I couldn't go in physically, they've been int he process of moving across town to a smaller store the times I did try. I gave them a month and a half before attempting to go in physically, they only finally reopened about 2 weeks ago, and I went in a few days ago when I had the time to do so.

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

37 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

This is horrible. I contacted them just to tell them that they were idiotic assholes. Probably won't help, but at least they will know what they are.

Did you sent the link to this topic to apply some extra pressure on them? :D

@OP

This is really sucks. As written above confront them in busy hours an record it with a hidden camera. Then you can go with that to the bureau that handles the consumer protection(sorry IDK how it is called in english)...

But thanks everyone for the support.. Obviously just talking about it isn't going to change things, but it's been stressing my out for the passed while, so I just wanted to get it out and talk about it with others..

Appreciate it

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Did you sent the link to this topic to apply some extra pressure on them? :D

@OP

This is really sucks. As written above confront them in busy hours an record it with a hidden camera. Then you can go with that to the bureau that handles the consumer protection(sorry IDK how it is called in english)...

I did send them the link to the thread here, yes.

4 hours ago, J400 said:

i believe the people behind the counter are probably idiots that didn't know the 9590 is a 220 watt cpu that requires a 990fx motherboard. so they shoved it into a 970 board and decided it didn't work. if i was in your shoes i would either contact the police or take them to court. even if it is just a 200 dollar part. (or more in your case)

You would be surprised how many PC store employees don't know that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

How far/long is the trip to nearest city like Nanaimo, Victoria or Vancouver?

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

How far/long is the trip to nearest city like Nanaimo, Victoria or Vancouver?

1 hour to Nanaimo and 2h to victoria.Where are LTT

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

1 hour to Nanaimo and 2h to victoria.Where are LTT

LTT are in Surrey, next to Richmond and near Vancouver city, near New Westminster god no

22 minutes ago, LordXenu said:

That looks like it's within driving range of LTT crew. I think sending in interns for an undercover op would make a neat video. 

Well, he did go to New York to do a video with Louis Rossmann.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Frankieanime158 said:

*snip*

Like someone else said, you can always go to the small claims court. Small claims is done without lawyers but there are still fees to fill a case.

So what I would try is the following, BUT first don't forget to take notes of EVERYTHING, hours, dates and names of the people you talked to at the store, what was said, etc..

Then;

• Try again in person, if that still doesn't work, do the following
  • Print all emails that were sent and keep a timeline of everything.
  • Send them a Demand letter (send it certified to prove they got it)
  • If that doesn't work fill a small claims court case.
  • Don't forget to add all the costs when filling the small claims court (when they loose they have to pay all the fees).

How to write your own Demand letter

Information about BC small claims court

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Not Canadian, but I remember shady practices with local PC shops before I built my own. The fact nothing was signed means this is petty theft and I hope business suffers as a result. Just give the damn CPU back. 

Idk if this counts as shady or just irritating but there's a chain of local PC repair shops I went to last spring when I was looking to have them swap some parts into the prebuilt I'd bought and they wanted like $70-80 per hour at least for doing the work.  I'd already spent around $500-600 on parts so there was no chance I'd add on at least 1-3 hours at that hourly rate.  

Not to mention that they said it would take about 7 days to get to working on it after I left it there.  So not only would they have overcharged me for basic work like swapping parts but added insult to injury by leaving me without my newly purchased deaktop for a week.  

I tried to ask if they'd let me schedule dropping it off the day of or maybe day before they'd be likely to get to it but they didn't seem to want to let me do that.

Look at their pricing: https://www.milwaukeepc.com/OurServices/ComputerRepair.aspx

For example: $99 to install an OS is crazy.  It takes a few minutes and you're guided through it so it's not hard unless something might randomly go wrong and I don't know what could.  

5 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Not Canadian, but I remember shady practices with local PC shops before I built my own. The fact nothing was signed means this is petty theft and I hope business suffers as a result. Just give the damn CPU back. 

Verbal agreement still counts, even if nothing was signed they are offering a service, the OP tried using that service and so there is legally binding agreement between the OP and the PC shop.

Not saying it's going to be easy though.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Everyone!!! Nanatech just emailed me saying they have my CPU and to come pick it!! So if you guys emailed them, it must've worked :) Funny how they try to make me sounds like the bad guy, saying stuff like "your cpus been here since August, I don't know why it's still here. You need to come pick it up". Even though one guy told me they couldn't give it back to me, and some dude in the back said the same thing from a back room...