My Local PC Shop Stole my CPU

*EDIT* - She Vancouver Island chain known as "Nanatech" did this to me. Updating so if you look up their store, you might come across this thread and choose to avoid them because (as it turns out), they're thieves.

I had an FX-9590 that I didn't plan to use anymore, so I wanted to sell it. I live in a tiny town, so unfortunately I'm pretty much the only one buying or selling hardware.

We have a local shop though that accepts trade ins, and my hope was to offload the CPU to them, and maybe trade it for a 250gh SSD or something (which are about 125$ here in Canada).

They told me to leave my email, and they'll see what they can do with it, and contact me soon.

4 months passed, I consistently emailed them through that time, at least a dozen times, and each one they just ignored. I've emailed them in the past, they always reply within 24 hours.

So a few days ago I just decided to go in there and see what was up. I asked about my CPU, and the guy told me that it didn't work. So I then asked them for it back, and they told me

"Sorry, we can't do that". I explained to them it was working just fine the day before I brought it in and such, and the guy just kept saying "oh really? Hmm, idk" nodding along with me. I even

told them the CPU isn't theirs in the first place, I never signed a document and gave it to them. I left it with them, and they said they'd contact me when they figure out what to do with it. So it's

not their's to decide whether or not to give it back to me. The dude was shaky too when I was talking to him, and man was I steaming. Took everything I had not to smash his face into the glass

counter he was hiding behind..

Now I'm out a perfectly good CPU for literally no reason. Sure it's not obviously the CPU most people want, but it's still worth something to someone out there..

Pc stores are shady :/ And their prices are outrageous.. They were trying to sell me a GTX 950 for 375$ + tax 8 months ago.. And tried to sell my brother a 16gb single stick of ram for 120$ PLUS

he had to give them his brand new 8gb vengeance stick too. Friggen disgusting

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

3 minutes ago, Frankieanime158 said:

So I had an FX-9590 that I didn't plan to use anymore, so I wanted to sell it. I live in a tiny town, so unfortunately I'm pretty much the only one buying or selling hardware.

We have a local shop though that accepts trade ins, and my hope was to offload the CPU to them, and maybe trade it for a 250gh SSD or something (which are about 125$ here in Canada).

They told me to leave my email, and they'll see what they can do with it, and contact me soon.

4 months passed, I consistently emailed them through that time, at least a dozen times, and each one they just ignored. I've emailed them in the past, they always reply within 24 hours.

So a few days ago I just decided to go in there and see what was up. I asked about my CPU, and the guy told me that it didn't work. So I then asked them for it back, and they told me

"Sorry, we can't do that". I explained to them it was working just fine the day before I brought it in and such, and the guy just kept saying "oh really? Hmm, idk" nodding along with me. I even

told them the CPU isn't theirs in the first place, I never signed a document and gave it to them. I left it with them, and they said they'd contact me when they figure out what to do with it. So it's

not their's to decide whether or not to give it back to me. The dude was shaky too when I was talking to him, and man was I steaming. Took everything I had not to smash his face into the glass

Now I'm out a perfectly good CPU for literally no reason. Sure it's not obviously the CPU most people want, but it's still worth something to someone out there..

Pc stores are shady :/ And their prices are outrageous.. They were trying to sell me a GTX 950 for 375$ + tax 8 months ago.. And tried to sell my brother a 16gb single stick of ram for 120$ PLUS

Sue and then see who's laughing.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Sue and then see who's laughing.

I'd love to, but lawyers are expensive, I could never afford one :/ The city give you free legal defense, but only if it's defense, not prosecuting purposes :/ 

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

Just now, Frankieanime158 said:

I'd love to, but lawyers are expensive, I could never afford one :/ The city give you free legal defense, but only if it's defense, not prosecuting purposes :/ 

Damn. Plan B: Call Edgeworth.

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Damn. Plan B: Call Edgeworth.

:D That's a solid plan right there :P 

They can't just keep it from you. How did they respond to your rant? Did they say anything besides that they simply can't give it back?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Why on earth would you use some local PC stores that does 'trade ins' where you'd get poor value even in the best of situations when you could have sold it on Kijiji or eBay and made more money for yourself?

i believe the people behind the counter are probably idiots that didn't know the 9590 is a 220 watt cpu that requires a 990fx motherboard. so they shoved it into a 970 board and decided it didn't work. if i was in your shoes i would either contact the police or take them to court. even if it is just a 200 dollar part. (or more in your case)

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Why on earth would you use some local PC stores that does 'trade ins' where you'd get poor value even in the best of situations when you could have sold it on Kijiji or eBay and made more money for yourself?

I agree but let's help the dude get his 9590 back.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

11 minutes ago, Frankieanime158 said:

So I had an FX-9590 that I didn't plan to use anymore, so I wanted to sell it. I live in a tiny town, so unfortunately I'm pretty much the only one buying or selling hardware.

Please fix your formatting...  And why would you do that?  Never give anything to anyone without getting money back for it.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

2 minutes ago, J400 said:

i believe the people behind the counter are probably idiots that didn't know the 9590 is a 220 watt cpu that requires a 990fx motherboard. so they shoved it into a 970 board and decided it didn't work. if i was in your shoes i would either contact the police or take them to court. even if it is just a 200 dollar part. (or more in your case)

Its really a $800 part...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I mean it was wrong of them to take it, but it wasn't the brightest move to just leave it there. Record another confrontation and take it to law enforcement

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Just now, J400 said:

contact the police

The police would actually be unable to help in this case.  Since the OP willfully left it in their care for testing under an agreement of testing for later sale, this puts it under the umbrella of civil law rather than criminal law, because it's a breach of contract in that situation.

In short:

If you agree to loan me your lawn mower and I never return it, you have to sue me for it, the police can't do anything.

If I break into your shed and steal your lawn mower, it's theft and the police are able to act.

You could also go back. Talk to a manager. If you keep at it long enough, they'll come up with a crappy excuses that they "confused it for a different part" or something. You are correct that PC parts places are quite shady. Someone tried to sell me a SSD that looked very suspiciously like a 2.5" laptop HDD. 

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

I would go back there one more time and try to talk to the manager.Calmly tell him about the 970 and 990FX thing basically if he sticks with his tell him that you will threaten to sue.Also what is the name of the shop just curious.But i also like @Natsoup idea though try to get a friend to do it

My life

They certainly are asking for some form of anti social response. Sharpen your pitchforks and drive them out of town

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Yes, I was aware selling it to a PC shop would be a rip off. But I wasn't just going to give it to them for 50$ and be done with it. I'd see what they'd be willing to trade, and if the offer was good enough, then I would've taken them up on it. And the reason I trusted to leave it with them is they're somewhat established. It's not just some dude in his garage. They have about 4 stores here on Vancouver Island in 2 (or 3) cities, and they're called "Nanatech".

So in my eyes, they seemed legitimate enough for me to trust them. 

But yea, my guess is that they just let some amateur screw around with it, and he didn't know the 220w tdp and then chucked it.. And they they kind of responded to me after I ranted at them. After they told me 'they couldn't do that' when I asked for it back, they just kept nodding along with me while I was raging, repeating shit like 'sorry we didn't get back to you on it' :/ 

1 minute ago, Frankieanime158 said:

Yes, I was aware selling it to a PC shop would be a rip off. But I wasn't just going to give it to them for 50$ and be done with it. I'd see what they'd be willing to trade, and if the offer was good enough, then I would've taken them up on it. And the reason I trusted to leave it with them is they're somewhat established. It's not just some dude in his garage. They have about 4 stores here on Vancouver Island in 2 (or 3) cities, and they're called "Nanatech".

So in my eyes, they seemed legitimate enough for me to trust them. 

But yea, my guess is that they just let some amateur screw around with it, and he didn't know the 220w tdp and then chucked it.. And they they kind of responded to me after I ranted at them. After they told me 'they couldn't do that' when I asked for it back, they just kept nodding along with me while I was raging, repeating shit like 'sorry we didn't get back to you on it' :/ 

http://www.nanatech.ca/ ????

1 minute ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Yeaup, those guys