The Apple Eco system

singular apple devices arent that special in my mind, but once you get a few more you will notice how smooth everything goes into each other and how near perfect the syncing across all devices is, that is what makes apple so hard to get rid off from your house, once it's in and set up properly it works flawless and without any major hiccups.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

IMO the apple ecosystem is really good, but it's really good for people who arent good with computers.

also, some of the stuff our friend louis rossmann brings up every time he opens a macbook is... worrying to say the least.

if there's a component that made all macbooks of a specific generation die reliably after a few years, they find that out, then continue putting that component in every single new macbook they make, while having the space for a component that doesnt die prematurely, i see that as essentially putting a "death timer" in your devices.

I'll go as far as to say that I think Apple makes good products. But I honestly can't stand the price gouging on the new macbooks, and all the gimmicky features Apple adds on their products in lieu of other features already on Android or Windows or whatever that work well. The new macbooks would be ok if they had more ports and didn't have so many issues. Also, it would be great if they were the same price as last gen. Something's not really an upgrade if it costs more too. It's as if Intel started selling Pentiums for $150, dropped the $60 ones and just made the new ones have a better stock cooler or something like that. I do like the OS though, it's well organized and easy to use. I have a hackintosh for that reason, though macOS sucks for playing games. I get bad framerates.

I like the iPhone's performance but not being able to put apps wherever you want on your homescreen kinda sucks. Personally, I also would need an app drawer though I know that's on the case for others. Basically, I prefer Android for customizability, but an iPhone would be nice for its performance.

Beats headphones, I think they're kinda ugly (for headphones I like them to not be too flashy) and aren't really that comfortable (YMMV). Can't really comment on the sound quality, I'm no audiophile and I've not spent an extended time with them.

I don't really like Apple's business model and patent trolling.

In general though, I wouldn't criticize someone for owning Apple products. A lot of it comes down to personal preference.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

singular apple devices arent that special in my mind, but once you get a few more you will notice how smooth everything goes into each other and how near perfect the syncing across all devices is, that is what makes apple so hard to get rid off from your house, once it's in and set up properly it works flawless and without any major hiccups.

I think this is about as true as it gets. I've used iPhones in the past, but I never had the desire to pony up the cash for the entire eco system, and that's probably why I dumped the iPhone without any hesitation.

My friends do use the macbook / iPhone / iWatch integration and seem to love it, but I could never bring myself to buy into it.

One nice thing about them though, is that they hold their value really well. My old iPhone 5S sold for way more than my android phones from that same year. People just eat apple stuff up, no matter the cost to their wallet.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

if there's a component that made all macbooks of a specific generation die reliably after a few years, they find that out, then continue putting that component in every single new macbook they make, while having the space for a component that doesnt die prematurely, i see that as essentially putting a "death timer" in your devices.

I think that kind of stuff is considered illegal in the EU. Dell once sold a laptop(this is told from memory, roughly 5-10 years ago) that had a small bump on the inside of it, which would cause it to stop working after roughly 2 years since it put stress on an important component, making it fail, with replacement of the part it would last only a few months.
Since the warranty period by law here (netherlands) is a minimum of 2 years they nearly got away with it, but luckily we got a consumer protection law that translates to the product having to survive longer then that period. So dell nearly got away with it, but when multiple consumers had the problem a consumer protection organ jumped in, making an independent company look into it, which discovered the small bump on the inside being the cause of it, a design flaw from Dell. In the end Dell ended up replacing all affected laptops along paying the research costs if I'm not mistaken. This set a precedent for similar cases where products suffer the same problem x amount of time after purchase, something similar happened with sony's PsP that suffered of death pixels after a few months, same result in the end.

So I am personally not to worried about these things, however if something like the EU or USA doesn't accept such a law it's hard to get rid of it globally.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I do like the thought of having one ecosystem for all my devices but I honestly can't stand iPhones so my primary device would be a chore to use and as the old phrase goes, no one games on a Mac. So for me it's a no.

Apple ecosystem works great for people who value integration more than diversity imo

1 minute ago, Bsmith said:

I think that kind of stuff is considered illegal in the EU. Dell once sold a laptop(this is told from memory, roughly 5-10 years ago) that had a small bump on the inside of it, which would cause it to stop working after roughly 2 years since it put stress on an important component, making it fail, with replacement of the part it would last only a few months.
Since the warranty period by law here (netherlands) is a minimum of 2 years they nearly got away with it, but luckily we got a consumer protection law that translates to the product having to survive longer then that period. So dell nearly got away with it, but when multiple consumers had the problem a consumer protection organ jumped in, making an independent company look into it, which discovered the small bump on the inside being the cause of it, a design flaw from Dell. In the end Dell ended up replacing all affected laptops along paying the research costs if I'm not mistaken. This set a precedent for similar cases where products suffer the same problem x amount of time after purchase, something similar happened with sony's PsP that suffered of death pixels after a few months, same result in the end.

So I am personally not to worried about these things, however if something like the EU or USA doesn't accept such a law it's hard to get rid of it globally.

the thing is they dont do it "on purpose"

just one of the caps near the GPU in macbooks is a "tantalum" capacitor, which is much less reliable than others, but is smaller (quick excuse to be made right: "we didnt have room").

and the amount of "standard prodedure" louis has in scraping off a bit off the pcb in macbooks to fit a normal, slightly bigger cap in place of the tantalum ones, is worrying to say the least.

---

i guess a "death timer" is the wrong wording, rather "purposely unreliable design" is the better term.

2 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

I can personally speak that the Google ecosystem is OK. Docs is magical, Gmail is great, and Android very usable. I wish they'd drop Google + though. 

Hate Gmail, really dislike Google Drive, never used Android and I dislike Google +.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, ︻芫═── said:

Well Hello there, I'm new to the LTT Forums and when I linked my steam account I didn't realize it would not let me actually put in my name but I'm Camden but I usually go by Cam.

Basically I didn't know how to make a video suggestion but maybe they are planning something like this already but I wanted to know your opinion on the "Apple Ecosystem " ( I'm sorry pc fans ) I recently completed my apple "family" with having my mac, Ipad, watch and of course Iphone. Personally although most dislike the high price tag and " useless features " I've been quite enjoying the features that bring all of my devices together. I'd love to see a video about all of it working cohesively but for now I just thought I'd ask for your opinions.  

Being part of a device/software ecosystem is great. This is not exclusive to the Apple ecosystem.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Apple has no cost-benefice, overpriced stuff for lower end hardware, sure their iPhone as long as you do jailbreak can be decent enough, I bought an iPod Touch 2g long ago and did Jailbreak on it and it was very decent but still not worth the troubles and prices.

Their MacBook Pro (Not for Professionals) was a joke.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 hours ago, ︻芫═── said:

I've been quite enjoying the features that bring all of my devices together. I'd love to see a video about all of it working cohesively but for now I just thought I'd ask for your opinions.

Honestly the joke is on you because one can get that 'cohesiveness' between devices for a fraction of the price.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

4 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

(albeit closed) ecosystem 

Never really understood why Apple gets flak for being "closed". Windows is not an open system either, and Apple at least do maintain an open source release for the core of MacOS so I would say the desktop system is actually alot more open than Windows. 

On mobile, it's a fairer complaint, but you need to root an Android device for it to be fully open, and that is not always easy to do.

4 hours ago, ︻芫═── said:

Fair enough Fair enough, I won't sit here arguing for apple because that wasn't my intent I wanted to see how some others saw it, but I feel like if Windows had that same feeling of continuity that you experience with the apple family of products.

I think Microsoft is trying to mimic apples ecosystem at a lower price with better surface products and the awaited surface phone so lets hope they bring out some kind of system with surface products similar to apples sense of continuity 

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hate Gmail, really dislike Google Drive, never used Android and I dislike Google +.

Well, you're Mr MS, so I'm not surprised. 

- snip-

10 hours ago, vikiplayz said:

I think Microsoft is trying to mimic apples ecosystem at a lower price with better surface products and the awaited surface phone so lets hope they bring out some kind of system with surface products similar to apples sense of continuity 

If you have a Windows Phone and Windows 10 PCs then you already have a sense of continuity. It's the same OS with different shells and different UX.

I always used Iphones.

I once had a Android because everyone complained that Iphones are expensive and crappy.

Well the Android with with 10x better hardware runs slow as fck. The OS is just slow even swapping from a screen to another doesnt feel as smooth as a iphone. Even the older iphones are just simpel and fast.

Android is filled with bugs glitches etc etc.

I never ever had a problem with a iphone before (just dont buy a used one)