Meet "badBIOS"

JockThatCamel

New virus? Really interesting read. Saw this on OCN, thought it should be here as well.

Three years ago, security consultant Dragos Ruiu was in his lab when he noticed something highly unusual: his MacBook Air, on which he had just installed a fresh copy of OS X, spontaneously updated the firmware that helps it boot. Stranger still, when Ruiu then tried to boot the machine off a CD ROM, it refused. He also found that the machine could delete data and undo configuration changes with no prompting. He didn't know it then, but that odd firmware update would become a high-stakes malware mystery that would consume most of his waking hours.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

Yeah no viruses on a Mac... post-14387-0-56189100-1383244851.jpg

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Yeah no viruses on a Mac... attachicon.gifsnowleopardvirus.jpg

Linux doesn't get many viruses either. Plus Linux is better than OSX. The only reason why Linux isn't the most commonly used is because it doesn't run games natively. As soon as it does all the PC gamers will go to Linux and Windows will die out. Less and less support for Windows until eventually consumers will then go to Linux eventually. This will all happen in the next 10 years.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Linux doesn't get many viruses either. Plus Linux is better than OSX. The only reason why Linux isn't the most commonly used is because it doesn't run games natively. As soon as it does all the PC gamers will go to Linux and Windows will die out. Less and less support for Windows until eventually consumers will then go to Linux eventually. This will all happen in the next 10 years.

I can't wait till it is the default OS! :D 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I can't wait till it is the default OS! :D

That will never happen as Linux is a kernel not an os, but you also have another problem of which Linux based distro would become "default" Ubuntu perhaps maybe Mint, as there what I consider to be the most newb sensitive versions currently

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

No its because its UI is completely different and not user friendly.

Its taken me 2 years but I have almost all my windows games running smoother on it.

That is why everyone should be using secureboot. Or at least vendors should sign the bios images with a key (HP and Dell does this).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

And then everyone will focus on making virus to infect Linux devices as it is the most popular OS.

And then everyone will focus on making virus to infect Linux devices as it is the most popular OS.

C0rrect.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

No its because its UI is completely different and not user friendly.

Its taken me 2 years but I have almost all my windows games running smoother on it.

Which UI? Unity? Gnome? KDE? Mate? Cinnamon? ... and so on =P [Gnome FTW:D]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

The day Linux becomes popular is the day Linux gets viruses

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Just enable secure boot, and call it a day.

The article states this as it's first sentence:

Three years ago, security consultant Dragos Ruiu was in his lab when he noticed something highly unusual: his MacBook Air, on which he had just installed a fresh copy of OS X, spontaneously updated the firmware that helps it boot.

Secure boot was implemented long time back on macs. So this virus/malware/rootkit works even if secure boot is still enabled.

Just when you think there aren't anymore virus' in the world, theres another it's actually not super new, the BIOS virus. So I found this article and apparently one of the symptoms is that your disc drive will stop working, the part that really freaks me out it can survive a FULL system wipe, this virus currently exists on Linus, OS X, and Windows. This virus basically seems to have the equvelent of super user on android or linux, meaning it can delete files and roll things back without your permission, or even telling you, you'll just find your new precious word document has gone missing. As of now it seems that the only way to stop it is to prevent the BIOS from flashing itself. The only way to remove the virus seems to me from what I understand is get a new BIOS chip, wipe your drive of the file that gave you the virus, or just wipe your drive, and then get a new motherboard. These computers that are 'Infected' (It's a laptop so it ran on battery) without a power cord, bluetooth, ethernet cables, or even wireless, IPV6 was also disabled, they can only communicate small amounts of data, but it's quite creepy your computer can communicate while powered off and do things with out your knowing or confirmation. It seems these computers communicate via there microphones, and speakers using high frequencys.

Source(s)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/bios-virus-rootkit-security-backdoor,7400.html

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Well f***

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

This was covered by the Tek, however there is no real evidence that it exists yet tbh.

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

This was covered by the Tek, however there is no real evidence that it exists yet tbh.

I'm pretty sure it's real as it has happen to someone three years ago, It's defineately interesting though, can't imagine if someone put this virus in some dumb thing like 'GTA V PC!'

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I'm pretty sure it's real as it has happen to someone three years ago, It's defineately interesting though, can't imagine if someone put this virus in some dumb thing like 'GTA V PC!'

That sounds like a really stupid application for such a heinous and annoying piece of devil-craft that you described.

if you really wanted to screw with some people, you'd package it and rename it as "al qaeda bombing plan instructions" and email it to yourself. 

Error: 410

That sounds like a really stupid application for such a heinous and annoying piece of devil-craft that you described.  

I was making that example because GTA V isn't on PC, and all those people tried getting it but got a virus which I believe Linus mentioned in the last wan show. It was an example.

Just be careful with what you download, Don't be stupid with things. but TBH I don't think that the people in this forum are the people likely to be the customer of such malware.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

this is bad :( 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

the virus would have to be big enough to store bios information of a lot of motherboards spanning over a period of time. unless it can effectively analyze the motherboard and download a bios for it without the user noticing, then its gonna be huge.