Meet "badBIOS"

JockThatCamel

We are expected to hit 2Billion active computers in the world in 2014, of the 65 million on steam you are assuming that all will switch to steam os,  I can't see that happening because not every steam user only uses their pc for games.  My son uses his computer for school work (which requires windows) It just happens to have a steam account on it as well. 

The popularity of LoL or WoW or GTAV  or any game is irrelevant, it has no bearing on total pc sales or the size of the gaming industry next to the size of the commercial enterprise or government facilities.

We are a blip, we are nothing and even if every single gamer stopped using windows tomorrow not much would change. It's just not as big as you think it is. sorry.

It's ok and I understand what you mean. I don't think that every gamer would swap OS instantly either. I just think people will dual boot with Linux and Windows at the same time. So you can play games and be productive with the best performance on both. But after a while Linux will expand and eventually Windows will die out. This will be in 10-20 years though. We already have alternatives to Word, Excel and Powerpoint which are very good and will likely improve over time. 10-20 years is a very long time. Thats 10-20 new series of GPU's from AMD and Nvidia or many more Intel CPU's. A company can rise and fall in that time and the console market could crash again. I would be 40 years old by then. Plus in that time that 65 million will grow and those that are new probably won't stick with Windows either. Plus all the console gamers won't want to sit in front of a desk so they will also want to play in Steam OS. This will take a long time and I already knew that but SteamOS is a good change for all PC gamers as it offers even more choice and customization. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

It's ok and I understand what you mean. I don't think that every gamer would swap OS instantly either. I just think people will dual boot with Linux and Windows at the same time. So you can play games and be productive with the best performance on both. But after a while Linux will expand and eventually Windows will die out. This will be in 10-20 years though. We already have alternatives to Word, Excel and Powerpoint which are very good and will likely improve over time. 10-20 years is a very long time. Thats 10-20 new series of GPU's from AMD and Nvidia or many more Intel CPU's. A company can rise and fall in that time and the console market could crash again. I would be 40 years old by then. Plus in that time that 65 million will grow and those that are new probably won't stick with Windows either. Plus all the console gamers won't want to sit in front of a desk so they will also want to play in Steam OS. This will take a long time and I already knew that but SteamOS is a good change for all PC gamers as it offers even more choice and customization. 

I just wouldn't write windows off at all,  the old saying goes "there's no such thing as a free lunch". what that means for business is that even though there are cheaper options than office, they are not free, they cost money to implement and thus cost to use somewhere along the line. And I can't see a company like Microsoft not responding to a market change.  The classic example is that they have already noticed that a certain percentage of the market is moving to tablet based computing and so they have moved to integrate all their OSes so they are uniform for users across all platforms.  I dare say they will do the same with their enterprise software and match linux. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I just wouldn't write windows off at all,  the old saying goes "there's no such thing as a free lunch". what that means for business is that even though there are cheaper options than office, they are not free, they cost money to implement and thus cost to use somewhere along the line. And I can't see a company like Microsoft not responding to a market change.  The classic example is that they have already noticed that a certain percentage of the market is moving to tablet based computing and so they have moved to integrate all their OSes so they are uniform for users across all platforms.  I dare say they will do the same with their enterprise software and match linux. 

Windows is not responding in the proper way to an increase in PC gaming. Microsoft is trying to make the desktop experience into a tablet one and that is why SteamOS is being created. The mobile market is more valuable to Microsoft but what they are forgetting is that the desktop market makes way more money for Microsoft then mobile could as they are not having any success in that market so why don't they just stop f*ckuing around with us and start making a proper desktop OS that can compete with W7. Microsoft is competing with themselves against W7 at the moment simply because W7 is the best OS ever made so far.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Windows is not responding in the proper way to an increase in PC gaming. Microsoft is trying to make the desktop experience into a tablet one and that is why SteamOS is being created. The mobile market is more valuable to Microsoft but what they are forgetting is that the desktop market makes way more money for Microsoft then mobile could as they are not having any success in that market so why don't they just stop f*ckuing around with us and start making a proper desktop OS that can compete with W7. Microsoft is competing with themselves against W7 at the moment simply because W7 is the best OS ever made so far.

O.k we get it, you don't like windows, but everything you have said here is either wrong or a personal opinion that is not substantially reflected in majority of the IT world.

I did have a longer response but it seems pointless debating specifics if the crux of the problem is that you just hate Microsoft.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

O.k we get it, you don't like windows, but everything you have said here is either wrong or a personal opinion that is not substantially reflected in majority of the IT world.

I did have a longer response but it seems pointless debating specifics if the crux of the problem is that you just hate Microsoft.

I love Windows 7. I think it's better then what Steam OS is going to be the only problem is though is that W7 is getting old.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I love Windows 7. I think it's better then what Steam OS is going to be the only problem is though is that W7 is getting old.

then just wait until the dust settles with win 8 and see how that pans out.  It ain't over yet,  All the crap people are complaining about with win 8 they said about vista, me, 98 and ce.  Which means following track records, win8 will be ill received with teething problems, 8,1 will be usable but not much better but whatever comes after that will be kickarse.

Steam os is like a computer case,  it provides a customizable and modifiable shell for you pc gaming experience.  That is why people are excited and for steam it is a marketing ploy, it gives enthusiast something they have not really had before,  An purpose built customizable OS. to go with their (you guessed it) customizable purpose built gaming machine. But it's sole purpose for steam is that it is a direct conduit for their product. win win all around.  Unless of course you also use your computer for work or school and are already tied into a particular software ecosystem.

then just wait until the dust settles with win 8 and see how that pans out.  It ain't over yet,  All the crap people are complaining about with win 8 they said about vista, me, 98 and ce.  Which means following track records, win8 will be ill received with teething problems, 8,1 will be usable but not much better but whatever comes after that will be kickarse.

Steam os is like a computer case,  it provides a customizable and modifiable shell for you pc gaming experience.  That is why people are excited and for steam it is a marketing ploy, it gives enthusiast something they have not really had before,  An purpose built customizable OS. to go with their (you guessed it) customizable purpose built gaming machine. But it's sole purpose for steam is that it is a direct conduit for their product. win win all around.  Unless of course you also use your computer for work or school and are already tied into a particular software ecosystem.

I am pretty sure W8 is a complete failure it is about a year in I think and it has only just surpassed Vista. There are too many problems with W8 for it to take the lead away from XP and W7. Besides I think everyone can agree with me when I say W7 is better than W8.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I am pretty sure W8 is a complete failure it is about a year in I think and it has only just surpassed Vista. There are too many problems with W8 for it to take the lead away from XP and W7. Besides I think everyone can agree with me when I say W7 is better than W8.

No, but only time will tell.  You see I have used every version of windows and a few versions of dos that Microsoft released.  Before every release there is this almighty build up, there are always people saying exactly what you are saying, there are always people who don't care (they just install it and keep going no worries), then there are releases that have general feel of failure about them even long after the fact.  But there is nothing new here.  BTW Win 8 is 7.5% while vista has dwindled to 3.5% so after a year it is double, which is really quite good for an OS that was very coldly received in an environment with very poor pc sales.

It's a typical reaction to a new OS.  If Microsoft made a mistake with Win 8 it was calling it Windows, if they had of called it metro and left the start button in then I can guarantee there would be a bucket load less complaining than what there was/is. This is because people would have been in the mindset that it was a NEW OS, instead every one thought it should be like Win7 and so got their knickers in a knot when it turned out to be almost a completely new OS that you have to learn from scratch.

No, but only time will tell.  You see I have used every version of windows and a few versions of dos that Microsoft released.  Before every release there is this almighty build up, there are always people saying exactly what you are saying, there are always people who don't care (they just install it and keep going no worries), then there are releases that have general feel of failure about them even long after the fact.  But there is nothing new here.  BTW Win 8 is 7.5% while vista has dwindled to 3.5% so after a year it is double, which is really quite good for an OS that was very coldly received in an environment with very poor pc sales.

It's a typical reaction to a new OS.  If Microsoft made a mistake with Win 8 it was calling it Windows, if they had of called it metro and left the start button in then I can guarantee there would be a bucket load less complaining than what there was/is. This is because people would have been in the mindset that it was a NEW OS, instead every one thought it should be like Win7 and so got their knickers in a knot when it turned out to be almost a completely new OS that you have to learn from scratch.

Windows 8 has been out for a year already and there are still very few that actually like it. I doubt W8 will ever get any traction. If we also look at the releases of Windows every other OS that comes out is good and the ones in-between are really crap.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Windows 8 has been out for a year already and there are still very few that actually like it. I doubt W8 will ever get any traction. If we also look at the releases of Windows every other OS that comes out is good and the ones in-between are really crap.

All the crap people are complaining about with win 8 they said about vista, me, 98 and ce.  Which means following track records, win8 will be ill received with teething problems, 8,1 will be usable but not much better but whatever comes after that will be kickarse.

It's actually 65 million. Not 6 million. I took the average users on Steam at any given time for the UK which is 6.5 million. 65 million active users on Steam is a huge amount of people that all use Windows/Linux and Mac. And then add up all those that don't use Steam which is probably just as much or more even. All those people just leaving Windows and going to Linux is bad news for Windows. There are 600 million copies of W7 floating around just to put that into perspective. PC gaming is actually really big. Bigger then any console even.

Ah, in that case, yes that is a much larger percentage.

Definately could make a difference

Ah, in that case, yes that is a much larger percentage.

Definately could make a difference

the number of active pc's by next year will be 2000,000,000, the number of steam users will be maybe 70,000,000 that is 3.5% of all pc users have steam, assuming some will be light users (that is their pc is predominantly a work pc and they have steam for that one game they love) and some gamers don't have steam its fair to say the total number of pc sales that are used for games is around 4%. 

Now 4% makes for a big industry don't get me wrong, but for these companies (MS, apple, intel, asus, AMD etc etc)  it is not essential, as 96% of their market is personal/business/education. essentially if all the gamers in the world died tomorrow their would be a 4% drop in market share for windows, asus amd etc.  that's all.