Ryzen at stock without turbo beats intel 6900k Goodbye intel

Go to solution Solved by Paradine Sage,
1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Lol.

If performance is anywhere NEAR 6900k levels, then you can absolutely be assured it will cost near 6900k levels.

If AMD can get away with charging only slightly less for a faster cpu, then they absolutely will. They will NOT launch a cpu that powerful for as low a price as you are hoping.

If they don't then they won't sell.

Their only potential market will be people currently not on X99 that want to move up to 8 cores, because anyone already on an X99 chipset is going to just buy the 6900K and save the cost of the motherboard change. Anyone not already on X99 is also reasonably unlikely to see value in moving up from four cores to eight and anyone who actually has a reason to be on Broadwell-E is already there.

To get those already on Broadwell to switch while having a ~$1000 price for Ryzen, Ryzen would have to crush the 6900k. Not just be somewhat better but crush it. These are people who have already probably invested three to five hundred dollars into a motherboard, if they were willing to spend another fifteen hundred bucks on their CPU/MoBo then they would probably go with the 6950k over Ryzen plus the new board. Generally if you are doing tasks that can gainfully exploit 8 cores then you gain more by going to 10 cores than you do by going to a slightly higher clock speed on those 8 cores.

If AMD wants a serious market for this then they need to price it at the point where those on 6800k's and 6850k's would purchase it plus a motherboard instead of purchasing a 6900k when they want to upgrade.

---

Yeah, it does better if you are comparing totally new systems but the problem with that is that there just aren't all that many people in the market for totally new systems in that price/performance range at any given point in time. Then you also have to account for the Broadwell-E replacement that Intel is liable to announce within the next 12 to 24 months.

Ryzen is unlikely to be into the real general market until around April to May of 2017 (assuming that the chip goes on sale February of 2017), and Intel probably starts teasing the Broadwell-E replacement in late 2017 with a Q2 or Q3 drop date in 2018. It's a near certainty that that chip will crush Ryzen so you are looking at about a year or so for Ryzen's lifespan in the market.

Priced competitive to a 6850K (about $500) Ryzen would crush (assuming that Intel doesn't price drop the 6900k to the same point) because at that point it compares (price wise) very well with a 6900k upgrade for anyone already on X99 while offering better performance (assuming that AMD's numbers are honest) while also offering enough of a core and performance gain to likely get a number of Skylake users looking to upgrade to switch.

At five hundred to six hundred USD Ryzen becomes the market defining chip for high end desktops. At eight hundred to a thousand USD it's just another chip, priced too high for the average "enthusiast" to buy and yet not offering enough to get anyone already on an X99 mobo to switch (Ryzen doesn't, even with AMD's numbers, offer one to two hundred dollars worth of better performance over a 6900k and that would be the cost difference for the mobo to switch).

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

How many samples was he running?

It defaults to 200 and the benchmark is done with 150. It's a little detail that makes a big difference...

There has been a bit of a hassle around it but AMD responded with the sample thing and it seems like that was indeed the issue.

Im not sure. This is just what I heard. That no-one could match it but him

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Im not sure. This is just what I heard. That no-one could match it but him

So the plot thickens !

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

So basically, AMD possibly lied about both the Ryzen and 6900K? Damn son

Who would've thought that the same people who used a game to compare perfs would lie about a worlkload perf comparison!

Shocking.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

1 minute ago, brokencross said:

Who would've thought that the same people who used a game to compare perfs would lie about a worlkload perf comparison!

Shocking.

It's more the fact that if AMD was lying about the performance, they're lying about the performance of the competitor's CPU as well which defeats the point :P 

@samcool55 Well that solves it

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, JCBiggs said:

They need a completely new architecture.... There needs to be a third state after  1/0....until then , I'm not that impressed by these chips.  Lol

Zen/Ryzen whatever the hell they're calling it now, is a new architecture...

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It's more the fact that if AMD was lying about the performance, they're lying about the performance of the competitor's CPU as well which defeats the point :P 

Does it, really? The comparison standards they used are shady to say the least. 

I'll wait for the retail cpus to hit the market for some unbiased perf benchmarks. Then we'll see if AMD has really done it or if we'll have to wait for the next """""big""""" thing.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Zen/Ryzen whatever the hell they're calling it now, is a new architecture...

Zen is the architecture Ryzen is the chip

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Zen is the architecture Ryzen is the chip

Ah thankyou, i was unsure on it lol.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, brokencross said:

Does it, really? The comparison standards they used are shady to say the least. 

The whole point of it is to either show how your product is just as capable if not more capable that your competitor where increasing the performance of it's competitor is stupid :P 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

The whole point of it is to either show how your product is just as capable if not more capable that your competitor where increasing the performance of it's competitor is stupid :P 

It's more like, I don't even know if they know what they're doing.

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Yup, just a small detail that they forgot to pay attention to and caused a little mess.

They said they'll update the profile with the correct amount of samples soon, maybe it's already up tbh i don't know :P

(just checked, they did update the profile, it's 150 samples now).

Also, someone took the time to compile a bunch of benchmarks into a nice sheet. It's far from complete but anyway :P

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O2Or6XOETZr3a4gLAuCuYEx8m5X_lv23LdwZiCZpBcM/edit#gid=0

And, to complete the list, full spec list of used systems! :D

So the dual-channel whatever stuff people talk about is likely irrelevant, at least that's what i think.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

53 minutes ago, brokencross said:

You gotta mask that poor single core perf with more cores. It's the AMD way, friend

That and the 220w TDP.

Yeah it isn't going to be anywhere close to 200W, and all the rumors point to a 95W tdp for the eight core cpu, compared to 140W for something like a 6900k it should make intel look like power hungry.

If you want to rip on AMD for a 220W cpu here is a 260W, 72 core intel cpu.

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/95831/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Processor-7290F-16GB-1_50-GHz-72-core

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

I'm personally not gonna believe any performance benchmarks I see until someone like LTT, Jay, or Kyle (bitwit) does benckmarks against intels CPUs....just sayin...

Main PC(no name yet): CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 1700, MOBO-ASRock AB350 K4, RAM-16gb G.Skill 3000MHz, GPU-Asus Strix GTX960 2gb, CPU Cooler-Stock Cooler rn, Storage-SanDisk 512gb SSD/OCZ Agility 4 128gb SSD/2TB Toshiba, CASE-Corsair Spec-02 Redshift Edition

Laptop: HP EliteBook Folio 9470m

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Yeah it isn't going to be anywhere close to 200W, and all the rumors point to a 95W tdp for the eight core cpu, compared to 140W for something like a 6900k it should make intel look like power hungry.

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/95831/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Processor-7290F-16GB-1_50-GHz-72-core

And to think a single consumer cpu 8 core FX 9590 is only short of 60w when compared to a 72 core intel enterprise chip.

Really makes you think.

Yeah, rumors and more rumors. That and the "wait for [insert AMD arc]" are just the bread and butter of any tech-related site. 

31 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Was it crap IPC wise? Yep

Was it a completely useless arch? No. In programs that can utilise it's 8 cores (in the FX83xx), it can go toe to toe with a 6600K so...

While eating up measurably more power doing so. Also comparing an 8-core to a 4-core seems kind off.

For the desktop consumer, sure, Bulldozer had its appeal of being cheaper while offering similar performance to Intel's offerings if the programs used it. But Intel's offerings had more to offer elsewhere.

Considering how bad Bulldozer was and how much it was hyped as the best next thing, I'm gonna be waiting instead of getting hyped for possibly no reason.

It would be great if these claims by AMD were legitimate, but I'm not holding my breath.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I will never trust benchmark results put on by the company advertising their own product. You know why? They sure as hell cherrypicked that chip. They may claim it's running at X.XX GHz, but when the chip comes out, it'll probably be stock Y.YY GHz (downclocked) so that the bulk of the chips actually work. They probably ran tests for weeks on what type of media would show off their type of chip the best. They may have even messed with the handbrake coding to make it work better with their chips. SO many things could be done to make sure their chip comes out on top.

These are all thing I expect to happen at places like this.

I'll wait for actual benchmarks by real people doing real workloads. 

And even so... it's great if AMD puts out a good chip. I mean, for years they haven't even touched Intel, that's not a lot of bragging rights. It's like the underdog team in sports finally winning a game when the favorite to win has won for the past 20 years. (and will probably continue to win for the next 20)

Just now, TetraSky said:

Remember the AMD hype train when Bulldozer was coming out?
Wait for actual third party benchmarks before getting hyped over some product that will most likely disappoint. 

Pretty much this. AMD shamelessly cherrypicked blender benchmarks with bulldozer.

Not to mention we haven't yet seen a single core benchmark from this new arc.

So my last post reminded me of a point: AMD poses a serious threat against Intel only if all markets are interested in using them.

AMD was a serious threat against Intel during 2000-2006 because AMD was being used in practically all markets, which included the laptop market (until the Pentium M came out) and the server market (which loved the Opteron until the last quarter of the 2000s).

If AMD can't win the mobile (i.e laptops), workstation, or server markets over, they're back to square one.

Wait, they used DOTA2 for gaming performance... I don't play, but quick search says it mainly depends on core speed and not number of cores? 

I mean, wtf settings were they using and where were they streaming to that they could properly max out those CPUs?

I thought 720p streaming to twitch was useless because of the bandwidth cap?

22 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

While eating up measurably more power doing so. Also comparing an 8-core to a 4-core seems kind off.

And? I'm comparing a 4-5 year older CPU to something relatively new which also basically costs double the FX...I don't see why I can't compare something that's a lot cheaper...

Also, another question.

Why was AMD's turbo boost disabled? That seems.... stupid. Almost like it wasn't working... or the chip was already running at the top of its range. 

You don't bring a half tuned racecar to the track and say "well if we tuned it all of the way it'd blow the PANTS off of the competition." No one would believe you.

And I don't believe AMD. 

There was something going on with their turbo boost functionality, that's why it was disabled. 

3 hours ago, JCBiggs said:

They need a completely new architecture.... There needs to be a third state after  1/0....until then , I'm not that impressed by these chips.  Lol

hello quantum chips

3 hours ago, maria2244 said:

if AMD can sell their 6900k RYZEN cpu

for 300 or 400 $

no one will buy i5 or i7 from intel anymore

we have 6900k AMD version

It won't be that cheap. I'd imagine it'll be around $700.

Simple fact is that AMD is a business, and they're in it to make money. It doesn't make sense to price yourself so insanely low, when you can easily price it higher and still garner sales. Especially with how poorly they've done financially over the past few years, and how much R&D likely went into producing Zen.

They'll also I imagine have lower end CPUs, to match the 6700k, 6600k, etc.

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Definitely, although I'm not too sure of the magnitude of their price hikes. I've been paying around the same price (~$300) for my desktop processors for over fifteen years whether it's intel or AMD.  Either way true competition should drive prices down regardless.

I don't think we'll see huge price wars. I think if anything AMD will price themselves slightly lower than Intel.

36 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

The TDP isn't a rumor, that's what it is.

Also you can't compare those two CPUs. That's an incredibly unfair comparison. Simple fact is AMD did a pretty poor job with the 9590.

30 minutes ago, brokencross said:

And to think a single consumer cpu 8 core FX 9590 is only short of 60w when compared to a 72 core intel enterprise chip.

Really makes you think.

Yeah, rumors and more rumors. That and the "wait for [insert AMD arc]" are just the bread and butter of any tech-related site. 

Fact, actually. 95w TDP for that chip.

I think we should all wait for reviews before saying it's amazing though. AMD tends to bend truths.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

How many topics do we have about the same AMD event?

Do you want the additive or exponential function?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers