Ryzen at stock without turbo beats intel 6900k Goodbye intel

Go to solution Solved by Paradine Sage,
1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Lol.

If performance is anywhere NEAR 6900k levels, then you can absolutely be assured it will cost near 6900k levels.

If AMD can get away with charging only slightly less for a faster cpu, then they absolutely will. They will NOT launch a cpu that powerful for as low a price as you are hoping.

If they don't then they won't sell.

Their only potential market will be people currently not on X99 that want to move up to 8 cores, because anyone already on an X99 chipset is going to just buy the 6900K and save the cost of the motherboard change. Anyone not already on X99 is also reasonably unlikely to see value in moving up from four cores to eight and anyone who actually has a reason to be on Broadwell-E is already there.

To get those already on Broadwell to switch while having a ~$1000 price for Ryzen, Ryzen would have to crush the 6900k. Not just be somewhat better but crush it. These are people who have already probably invested three to five hundred dollars into a motherboard, if they were willing to spend another fifteen hundred bucks on their CPU/MoBo then they would probably go with the 6950k over Ryzen plus the new board. Generally if you are doing tasks that can gainfully exploit 8 cores then you gain more by going to 10 cores than you do by going to a slightly higher clock speed on those 8 cores.

If AMD wants a serious market for this then they need to price it at the point where those on 6800k's and 6850k's would purchase it plus a motherboard instead of purchasing a 6900k when they want to upgrade.

---

Yeah, it does better if you are comparing totally new systems but the problem with that is that there just aren't all that many people in the market for totally new systems in that price/performance range at any given point in time. Then you also have to account for the Broadwell-E replacement that Intel is liable to announce within the next 12 to 24 months.

Ryzen is unlikely to be into the real general market until around April to May of 2017 (assuming that the chip goes on sale February of 2017), and Intel probably starts teasing the Broadwell-E replacement in late 2017 with a Q2 or Q3 drop date in 2018. It's a near certainty that that chip will crush Ryzen so you are looking at about a year or so for Ryzen's lifespan in the market.

Priced competitive to a 6850K (about $500) Ryzen would crush (assuming that Intel doesn't price drop the 6900k to the same point) because at that point it compares (price wise) very well with a 6900k upgrade for anyone already on X99 while offering better performance (assuming that AMD's numbers are honest) while also offering enough of a core and performance gain to likely get a number of Skylake users looking to upgrade to switch.

At five hundred to six hundred USD Ryzen becomes the market defining chip for high end desktops. At eight hundred to a thousand USD it's just another chip, priced too high for the average "enthusiast" to buy and yet not offering enough to get anyone already on an X99 mobo to switch (Ryzen doesn't, even with AMD's numbers, offer one to two hundred dollars worth of better performance over a 6900k and that would be the cost difference for the mobo to switch).

RYZEN without the turbo beats intel 6900k

Goodbye intel with your 1000$ weak CPU

-

the moment Ryzen beating intel

-

6700k vs RYSEN

no way

-

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

Personally I don't know if I'm going to get Ryzen but if I makes CPU prices cheaper that's good for everyone.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

Well considering we have no idea how much zen will cost...

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Intel hasn't had to drop anything huge in years since AMD hasn't really forced their hand to do so. "Goodbye Intel" is a little strong. I'm excited to see what Intel comes out with now that AMD is actually bringing something worthwhile to market.

When in doubt, re-format.

Say hello to 6950x lol

3 minutes ago, maria2244 said:

Meh, we will see that the future holds.

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

6 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Intel hasn't had to drop anything huge in years since AMD hasn't really forced their hand to do so. "Goodbye Intel" is a little strong. I'm excited to see what Intel comes out with now that AMD is actually bringing something worthwhile to market.

Kaby Lake - E?

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Kaby Lake - E?

I'm talking about whatevers gonna be coming after Kaby Lake.

When in doubt, re-format.

A company sourcing themselves that they are better than their competition--you don't say! 

*cough*Bulldozer*cough* I'll wait to see real products tested by someone not contracted by Intel or AMD. 

11 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

I'm talking about whatevers gonna be coming after Kaby Lake.

Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake are the next ones. Coffee Lake is a 14nm process that comes after Kaby Lake and is still on LGA 1151. Cannon Lake will be a new socket after Coffee Lake. I'm assuming by the time they get to Cannon Lake-E, they will have a 12-core as the highest end Extreme Edition processor.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

On the real, I'm glad AMD is improving--it's their timing/delays that's the upsetting bit. Was 100% down for going ZEN....EARLY 2016...back when I needed a new PC. Now that I've already have my Skylake build for several months now and considering my last platform was Sandy Bridge...AMD HAS to have something around 2020 RELEASED for me to care at this point for a personal upgrade lol.

Good thing I've put off making my new build for about 18 months

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

My money is on Intel skipping the 7x00-series and putting out their 8X00-series as a return volley. 

Also, don't listen to hype trains and AMD benchmarks. You should wait for independent testing.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I had a discussion with pricing with another person, but I'm inclined to go with what they were saying than what I was originally holding onto.

Even if AMD can sell Ryzen for half the cost of Intel, Intel can just cut their processor's prices accordingly. Will it piss people off? Sure. But Intel still has most of the cards in the x86 world.

Also we don't even know how Ryzen will fare in the real world. For all we know, there could be a hardware bug waiting to be triggered by an edge case.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

My money is on Intel skipping the 7x00-series and putting out their 8X00-series as a return volley. 

Also, don't listen to hype trains and AMD benchmarks. You should wait for independent testing.

Well, Kaby Lake is part of the 7x00 series which is definitely coming out early-middle next year. And soon after that, Coffee Lake will come out early 2018 and Cannon Lake on the new socket comes late 2018.

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Gosh, I hope not. If something goes wrong, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot! Kinda like how Samsung should have released the Note 6 instead of skipping to 7 to have a generation be the saving grace instead of a firey meme. 

2 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

Well, Kaby Lake is part of the 7x00 series which is definitely coming out early-middle next year. And soon after that, Coffee Lake will come out early 2018 and Cannon Lake on the new socket comes late 2018.

if AMD can sell their 6900k RYZEN cpu

for 300 or 400 $

no one will buy i5 or i7 from intel anymore

we have 6900k AMD version

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

The only reason Intel has bean getting away with charging silly money for the CPU's is because AMD has had NOTHING to compete with. 

The only thing that will happen is that Intel will drop there prices (which is great)

Hell they might spite AMD and sell them just under to price per performance is a wee better 

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Exactly after all this was literally an advertise/propaganda from AMD, haven't we seen enough in the glorious world of PC companies promising more than what they deliver? take Ubisoft and its E3 trailers for example... I still think Zen will struggle against Skylake, I do like to see competition even though I just recently bought my 6700 and won't bother with a new CPU till 2020 most likely, I mean 2600k is still enough for nowadays games therefore trying to sell the idea that Zen will destroy Intel's Skylake is at best a fanaticism.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Exactly after all this was literally an advertise/propaganda from AMD, haven't we seen enough in the glorious world of PC companies promising more than what they deliver? take Ubisoft and its E3 trailers like always... I still think Zen will struggle against Skylake, I do like to see competition even though I just recently bought my 6700 and won't bother with a new CPU till 2020 most likely, I mean 2600k is still enough for nowadays games therefore trying to sell the idea that Zen will destroy Intel's Skylake is at best a fanaticism.

I'm also having this feeling that AMD fanboys think because Zen is such a performance leap from the Bulldozer family that AMD will do this again. But the Bulldozer family was such a crap architecture to begin with.

Even Intel hasn't had a performance leap in the likes of going from Presler to Conroe since that time. And that's pretty much what AMD is doing now.