California first state to restrict energy used by computers

Okjoek

I don't see how the government has the right to do this.  While in practice, it's not a big deal, in principle it leads to overreaching government, just like lots of things nowadays. Thank you, People's Republik of Kalifornia.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

2 hours ago, Okjoek said:

Honestly I don't know why SLI and Xfire are even a thing. What kind of things can I not do with a single GPU? Is there some kind of non-industrial task out there that benefits from having more than 1 Titan XP?

Drive 4k UHD @ 60FPS on High/Ultra settings on Witcher 3. We're on the cusp of single GPU capability, but not reliably there yet. 

41 minutes ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

I don't see how the government has the right to do this.  While in practice, it's not a big deal, in principle it leads to overreaching government, just like lots of things nowadays. Thank you, People's Republik of Kalifornia.

It seems to me that some people are so paranoid of the government that they are willing to accept monopolies and corporate interest to use our government like a puppet to the point where dictators are equally preferable. I don't see a bright future when you combine automation technology, globalism and capitalism. Whatever jobs aren't automated are lost as corporations are allowed to flee whatever country doesn't let their workers be treated like garbage so everybody loses but the oligarchs.

California is a joke. They get worse and worse every year because they're controlled by morons.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

19 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

It seems to me that some people are so paranoid of the government that they are willing to accept monopolies and corporate interest to use our government like a puppet to the point where dictators are equally preferable. I don't see a bright future when you combine automation technology, globalism and capitalism. Whatever jobs aren't automated are lost as corporations are allowed to flee whatever country doesn't let their workers be treated like garbage so everybody loses but the oligarchs.

Until they merge into BnL  and we all get to live on the axiom

17 minutes ago, Albatross said:

California is a joke. They get worse and worse every year because they're controlled by morons.

They are better than china there reincarnation without permission of govt is illegal.....

3 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

40$ in savings?

Wow, now i can finally buy the Titan T Volta!

It will be called Titan X again

Titan XM

XP

XT

Somewhere

Titan XX

1 hour ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

While in practice, it's not a big deal, in principle it leads to overreaching government

I think you have that backwards.

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

While you are all raging about 'Evil Government', don't most PC's support these kinds of things already as a result of compliance with the European Union's Energy-Related Products Directive? (ErP)

Yes. which was my point in the first comment.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

You guys are missing the whole point of this... It's not limiting max wattage, it's putting a minimum efficiency rating on them, and a maximum power draw *at idle*. If you're using your computer it doesn't affect you. When your computer goes to sleep, or turns the monitor off and spins down that's when the requirements kick in. Intel and everyone are onboard, helping to set the standard in such a way that it offers sustainable growth in *IDLE* power efficiency.

47 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

snip

The reason we fear the government over companies is simple, the government can throw you in jail for not obeying them corporations cannot. They are not comparable in terms of power level, a corporation may have the power to ruin the lives of many but a large enough government can literally destroy the world.

Also this has nothing to do with corporations it is a needless regulation enforced by a laughable state government

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I don't see how requireimg new hardware to be more efficient when sleeping is a bad thing. This doesn't force people to replace hardware and it doesn't reduce the power while operating. It just lowers the power wasted when the device is doing nothing. Massive amounts of power are wasted by the small drain all devices have. Reducing that waste is a good thing.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

5 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Most workplaces replace hardware every 2-3 years anyway making savings negligible given that the majority of workforce run mobile devices anyway unless they require workstations such as Mac Pro, or equivalent. 

I just can't see the major benefits they're touting. The only person that I can see this having a significant effect on is a small home business, or likewise where the aged technology is due to capital restriction, not energy efficiency and the efficiency gain isn't worth the investment. 

That's cute...my place of employment missed that memo 6 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

You guys are missing the whole point of this... It's not limiting max wattage, it's putting a minimum efficiency rating on them, and a maximum power draw *at idle*. If you're using your computer it doesn't affect you. When your computer goes to sleep, or turns the monitor off and spins down that's when the requirements kick in. Intel and everyone are onboard, helping to set the standard in such a way that it offers sustainable growth in *IDLE* power efficiency.

We just like raging apparently.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

First, they came for the small regulations, like zoning and shit, then, they went a little bigger, like size of stuff and the like (soda sizes), and everyone agree. Later, they started regulating what is truth, and what is fake (fake news), and before everyone realized, it was  1984. 

I know a lot of people here will tell me I'm overreacting, but think about it. A little power here, a little power there, and the suddenly Kim Jong-un is ruling your country. Autocracy always comes in small steps, and believe me, I lived that in South America. 

11 minutes ago, JoseGuya said:

First, they came for the small regulations, like zoning and shit, then, they went a little bigger, like size of stuff and the like (soda sizes), and everyone agree. Later, they started regulating what is truth, and what is fake (fake news), and before everyone realized, it was  1984. 

I know a lot of people here will tell me I'm overreacting, but think about it. A little power here, a little power there, and the suddenly Kim Jong-un is ruling your country. Autocracy always comes in small steps, and believe me, I lived that in South America. 

I get where you're coming from but there's a reason why the rest of the tech industry is on board with this.

The industry needs pushes in the direction it needs to head. A truly free market is an even scarier thing than one controlled by a single individual.

California logic:

"We're going to save our residents money, by making the things they buy more expensive"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Cant wait for Jay2cents opinion on this :D

I personally think its stupid and theres is many more other areas they can cut the cost down.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Cant wait for Jay2cents opinion on this :D

I personally think its stupid and theres is many more other areas they can cut the cost down.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

everyone here is so good at overreacting about state regulations, NOTHING OF THIS INFLUENCES YOUR ACTIVE POWER CONSUMPTION!!!! NOTHING!!!!!! THIS IS ONLY FOR INACTIVE STATES!!!! if you don't like them then just make sure you'r pc isn't on idle, sleep, hibernate etc. the eu ALREADY has regulations for that in place! my power supply already is ready for the standard they are proposing here and i bought it 2 years ago!

RXi9Hn.jpg

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2016publications/CEC-400-2016-026/CEC-400-2016-026-FS.pdf

22 minutes ago, tlink said:

everyone here is so good at overreacting about state regulations, NOTHING OF THIS INFLUENCES YOUR ACTIVE POWER CONSUMPTION!!!! NOTHING!!!!!! THIS IS ONLY FOR INACTIVE STATES!!!! if you don't like them then just make sure you'r pc isn't on idle, sleep, hibernate etc. the eu ALREADY has regulations for that in place! my power supply already is ready for the standard they are proposing here and i bought it 2 years ago!

RXi9Hn.jpg

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2016publications/CEC-400-2016-026/CEC-400-2016-026-FS.pdf

Their regulations are actually a sliver heavier than the EU ones, specifically for the reason of pushing things forward, but other than that you're completely right.

7 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

The reason we fear the government over companies is simple, the government can throw you in jail for not obeying them corporations cannot. They are not comparable in terms of power level, a corporation may have the power to ruin the lives of many but a large enough government can literally destroy the world.

Also this has nothing to do with corporations it is a needless regulation enforced by a laughable state government

I'm curious what you mean by "destroy the world".

US arms dealers have lobbied the government to supply massive quantities of weapons to countries with rampant human right violations and uses support by militarized police to push through their projects that can have devastating impacts on the environment and communities of that environment as they cut corners and shrug off superficial fines.

We've propagated a proxy war for the past half decade inching us closer to WW3 because y'know war is business.

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Overbearing state govt. well overreaching their bounds again? Doesn't surprise me.

A user looking to make their own systems more efficient with new parts is, very much, their right. It's also a mentality that, while I don't practice it, applaud.

But forcing that ideology onto all users, and even companies, is not the right of government, and more often than not, sees only one result: increase of cost to the consumers.

These are just energy efficiency standards for manufacturers. Similar to those already in place in the EU, it's frankly more of a formality than anything else. It is to legally frame the requirements of electronic components in monitors and PC's to be efficient, how is that not a good thing?

I always thought the "if I want to run an unfiltered coal engine in my car I should be able to" argument ridiculously selfish and destructive. There are basic minimum standards that all manufacturers should live up to, not just in PCs and cars but in all industries. Determining what those standards are is VERY much the government's job.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.