California first state to restrict energy used by computers

Okjoek

https://www.rt.com/usa/370319-california-computers-monitors-energy/

"The California Energy Commission has voted to enforce regulations on the energy use of computers and monitors, an effort to save state residents $373 million per year. The measure may increase retail costs, but cut energy bills."

"Much of the savings that come from the new standards will be a result of change to the amount of energy a device uses while in sleep mode" I don't use sleep mode very often. I usually only shut it off when I leave home and if I plan to not use it for a while I just turn the monitor off.

"The rules will go into effect for workstations and small-scale servers in January 2018, and for certain desktop and notebook computers in January 2019, with subsequent phases for other devices." So it looks like all of our desktops are further down the road in 2019.

"The commission has estimated that the new rules will add around $14 of retail cost for a desktop computer, but that energy savings for those computers will reach more than $40 over five years." So there's definitely an economic logic to buying newer hardware. This is personally why I never recommend that people buy older hardware unless they absolutely have to simply because they're more power hungry on the long run.

Personally I'm more of a collectivist person in general and I meet stories like this with optimism. I've already made my PC more power efficient within my budget and plan to continue doing so. Most of the people around where I live would disagree slamming any sort of government regulations.

I remember doing out the math on the monitor requirements being proposed, but the jist of it was that the EU already has similar low power sleep requirements, so realistically the impact to manufacturers isn't going to be much. How much bs they try to put on consumers, that I can't predict.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

-snip-

"The commission has estimated that the new rules will add around $14 of retail cost for a desktop computer, but that energy savings for those computers will reach more than $40 over five years."

Most workplaces replace hardware every 2-3 years anyway making savings negligible given that the majority of workforce run mobile devices anyway unless they require workstations such as Mac Pro, or equivalent. 

I just can't see the major benefits they're touting. The only person that I can see this having a significant effect on is a small home business, or likewise where the aged technology is due to capital restriction, not energy efficiency and the efficiency gain isn't worth the investment. 

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I remember doing out the math on the monitor requirements being proposed, but the jist of it was that the EU already has similar low power sleep requirements, so realistically the impact to manufacturers isn't going to be much. How much bs they try to put on consumers, that I can't predict.

Yeah I hadn't thought of that. Companies could use it as an excuse to jack up PC prices.

Good luck on enforcement. 

What are they gonna do, do an office to office / home to home check to make sure you have the new up to spec pc gear to meet the standard? riiiiiight. /s

California Motto: What can we do to screw over our citizens today?

Unfortunately this will translate to the rest of the US just like every thing else, remember those plastic water restrictors in your faucet and shower head? yeah I remove those. :| 

Spoiler

Related image

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Overbearing state govt. well overreaching their bounds again? Doesn't surprise me.

A user looking to make their own systems more efficient with new parts is, very much, their right. It's also a mentality that, while I don't practice it, applaud.

But forcing that ideology onto all users, and even companies, is not the right of government, and more often than not, sees only one result: increase of cost to the consumers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

*california SLI/XFire enthusiasts plan move to texas*

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, Shiv78 said:

*california SLI/XFire enthusiasts plan move to texas*

Honestly I don't know why SLI and Xfire are even a thing. What kind of things can I not do with a single GPU? Is there some kind of non-industrial task out there that benefits from having more than 1 Titan XP?

Does anyone know the wattage that there enforcing?

At least for servers, my old dual 1366 server seems to work just fine with energy star today, so it might not be strict enough to even make a real difference as most people are buying laptops now, and almost every laptop sleeps at under a watt. 

I will run 4 Titan Z's in protest with an FX 8350.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

Just now, Joe_MacDougall said:

with an FX 8350.

why not 2 20+ core xeons or dual 6950X even though it won't work

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

Honestly I don't know why SLI and Xfire are even a thing. What kind of things can I not do with a single GPU? Is there some kind of non-industrial task out there that benefits from having more than 1 Titan XP?

SLI and Crossfire are decent upgrade paths once cards become outdated, and drop in price.

SLI and NVidia Surround also work fairly well.

There's also the bragging rights.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

I will run 4 Titan Z's in protest with an FX 8350.

I suppose some people want to watch the solar system burn.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

20 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Snip

My only comment is: This from the state that is regulating cow flatulence. Think about it....

California restricts pollutants from cow flatulence to diesel emissions ...

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

99.9% why I went with dual 290X at the time :P. Plus my monitor is 2560x1600 so it's not like I don't make use of the power.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

SLI and Crossfire are decent upgrade paths once cards become outdated, and drop in price.

SLI and NVidia Surround also work fairly well.

For the first one I'm not that optimistic. Even though it's cheaper by that later point, it's still older hardware that probably will have scaling problems for certain tasks I've seen others complain about.

Yeah I guess I left out  multi monitor setups, and I would also add that some people use advanced resolutions like 4K or 5K that me the little 1920x 1080p peasant forgot.

Bragging over PC hardware is stupid. It just shows you've got money and it doesn't even take more skill unless perhaps you're getting into the realm of custom cooling/ other mods then I retract.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

99.9% why I went with dual 290X at the time :P. Plus my monitor is 2560x1600 so it's not like I don't make use of the power.

It would appear that there are two pyromaniacs with ambitious goals on this forum.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Damn I think that card uses even more power than my younger brother's R9 390. And you use two of them?!

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

Bragging over PC hardware is stupid. It just shows you've got money and it doesn't even take more skill unless perhaps you're getting into the realm of custom cooling/ other mods then I retract.

Most custom cooling is done for bragging rights also so your point actually still stands. My whole system is water cooled but does it need to be, nope but it's certainly quieter because of it.

I mean when you water cool your ram that can only ever be for bragging rights :P.

For some things I'm proud to be stupid and freely accept that label.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It would appear that there are two pyromaniacs with ambitious goals on this forum.

Just now, Okjoek said:

Damn I think that card uses even more power than my younger brother's R9 390. And you use two of them?!

Makes a good heater in winter, I have actually used it for heating. Just run up furmark and turn the fans up a little bit.

3 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Bragging over PC hardware is stupid.

People pay $100 for a gold plane in GTA V. It's just the exec jet, but gold.

Bragging over something that can actually be beneficial makes more sense.

4 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

For the first one I'm not that optimistic. Even though it's cheaper by that later point, it's still older hardware that probably will have scaling problems for certain tasks I've seen others complain about.

Though those problems occur often with 3way and 4 way, 2 way configs (at least with Crossfire) can be very reliable with a little tweaking. Before my X99 system, I ran crossfired cards with some tweaks, and I've never had an issue in games where other people had.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, leadeater said:

Makes a good heater in winter, I have actually used it for heating. Just run up furmark and turn the fans up a little bit.

That actually brings up a good point. Here in central NY it gets fairly cold. maybe not "Canada eh" cold, but still pretty cold and for that I actually leave my PC on all night. I'm not sure if there's a program I can use to actually make it give off more heat lol. (Polar vortex incoming)

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Most custom cooling is done for bragging rights also so your point actually still stands. My whole system is water cooled but does it need to be, nope but it's certainly quieter because of it.

I mean when you water cool your ram that can only ever be for bragging rights :P.

For some things I'm proud to be stupid and freely accept that label.

I mean not just for bragging rights, also for vanity of self. I love my pc as a showpiece and 99% of the time, I'm the one looking at it.

1 hour ago, Okjoek said:

That actually brings up a good point. Here in central NY it gets fairly cold. maybe not "Canada eh" cold, but still pretty cold and for that I actually leave my PC on all night. I'm not sure if there's a program I can use to actually make it give off more heat lol. (Polar vortex incoming)

My house has room by room central heating. My computer room has the heating turned off because between all my hardware, the 200W min power 1500W max power is a perfectly sufficient winter heater once natural circulation is taken into account (cold winters here haha). It is far more bang for your buck than even a perfectly efficient space heater (electricity/heating bill that is, not cost of components haha).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

While you are all raging about 'Evil Government', don't most PC's support these kinds of things already as a result of compliance with the European Union's Energy-Related Products Directive? (ErP)