Why is broadband more expensive in the US?

I've always been amazed by the prices I've seen in the US for broadband, as Linus mentioned in last weeks WAN show the US is usually cheaper for a lot of things such as hardware due to lower taxes I find it crazy that something as everyday as broadband is so expensive.

Here's the latest BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24528383

qk47.png

In the UK you can get online from anywhere for less than £20 a month, with some paying a lot less with calls included, nowhere near the £61 like in San Francisco.

Any Americans feel slightly ripped off?

Because oligopolies and regional monopolies fix prices and use other anti competitive practices.

I feel ripped off every time I pay my telecom bills.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Wutt ??? I pay $25 for unlimited data worth 200 GB per month here in asia. I thought US is cheap especially in internet bill.

For 50€ (42.50£) a month, I could get 150mb Broadband, TV and a Home Phone Line.

Even in all in one packages you Americans get ripped off.

they need a way to pay the lobbyists 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

50mbit for $90 Sign me up for that... i currently pay $90 for anywhere between 8 and up to 24mbit best speed is 16mbit as i don't live inside the telephone exchange

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

50mbit for $90 Sign me up for that... i currently pay $90 for anywhere between 8 and up to 24mbit best speed is 16mbit as i don't live inside the telephone exchange

Damn, that's a lot. In Romania you can get(or by the end of the year anyway) 1 Gbps for 59 RON, which comes in at a bit under $20 USD :P

I pay $92 (US dollars) a month for 'up to' 20Mbit down and 1Mbit up.

Usually my speeds are around 1.2Mbit down.

You guys should not complain. ;)

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Yeah, that's not even the half of it. Try being a business - they really end up screwing you at that point. We pay $185 for 45mbps (down) / 10mbps (up) - for "superior technical support."

Edit: I can't count.

Edited by BusinessRogue

CORSAIR AIR 540 | CORSAIR AX1200i | GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 REV 3.0

AMD 8350 Vishera 5.0GHz @ 1.525V | CORSAIR H100i Push/Pull | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB  DDR3 1600Mhz

KINGSTON HYPER 3K 120GB (2) RAID 0 | SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB (4) RAID 5 | EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW ACX (SLI) | CORSAIR AX1200i

I'm not sure if this is the case everywhere, but in the UK it's next to impossible to get 60mbps. Sure, there's Virgin Media's fiber stuff or BT infinity, but the coverage is so sparse even in major cities, and you never get what you pay for anyway. Unless you're in Edinburgh or London you're gonna be stuck paying for 70mbps and getting 20. In that respect the graph may be misleading...

None of you can complain. I'm from Australia.

99 a month for 4 megabit down and 0.3megabit up.

That's not actual speeds btw that's claimed speeds.

I get 2 Mbps down and my internet can't sustain more then a single uplink. I cannot sustain gta online and ts3 at the same time

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Because of regional monopolies and ISPs are using their money to do other stuff other than upgrading infrastructure and improving prices. 

I'd love to move somewhere that has Gigabit Internet for around $50...like Japan...mmmmmmm.

COMIC SANS

STFU!!!

I am dealing with 4Mb down and .4Mb up....

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Yeah you Americans get it pretty good, try living in Australia... Our future is 25mbit down, claimed by our government, which isn't even coming soon. There are petitions which are doing well but the government doesn't understand.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Currently waiting on my fiber to be installed the start of next month, going to be paying for 60-75Down and 20Up, will check actual speeds when possible and I'll be paying around £45

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

Im in the UK using BT infinity (fiber) for £30 a month i average 60 up and 18 down, Before that on copper i was paying the same for 8 down and 0.8 up. I have a friend who live 6 miles away who can only get 1.2 down! and fiber isnt availabe to him, gues where he takes his pc when he buys a game on steam....... 

None of you can complain. I'm from Australia.

99 a month for 4 megabit down and 0.3megabit up.

That's not actual speeds btw that's claimed speeds.

I get 2 Mbps down and my internet can't sustain more then a single uplink. I cannot sustain gta online and ts3 at the same time

In Alaska mta (or largest ip) makes me pay 80$ a month for 1.5 mpbs down and .25 mbps up and only 70gigs a month. you pay 1$ for every gig over

In Alaska mta (or largest ip) makes me pay 80$ a month for 1.5 mpbs down and .25 mbps up and only 70gigs a month. you pay 1$ for every gig over

see, its people like us who know the real pains on the internet. 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."