Samsung Brand Image Not Damaged By Note 7 Recall

Lord Nicoll

Samsung Note 7 Brand Image Affect   

202 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Note 7 recall and discontinuation affect your opinion and/or loyaly of Samsung in a negative way?

• No
    • Yes
    • I'm not sure

they should have made profit by asking for 149$ to get the phone fixed and partially blame the consumer for the damaged phone

/jk

i voted no cause Sammy's brand image was already tarnished to me when they went from the great Note 4 to the Note 5

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I didn't care much about samsung phones to begin with, this didn't make it worse.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Lets face it. Samsung outsourced production of the battery and that was the most likely cause of the the issue. Worst case scenario their QC wasn't up to snuff.

But you can bet they would clamp down on any issue to avoid selling hand bombs, because a costly mass recall would be the obvious outcome.

They will do everything in their power to ensure no repeat of events. This does not mean I'm defending Samsung though. I still have a major gripe about their bandwagoning onto Apple designs, and ditching replacable betteries.

No, Samsung is one of like 3 or 4 companies that make Li-Po batteries (the main ones being Panasonic, Samsung and LG) and those batteries were indeed made by Samsung. I don't think Apple were the first to make a phone with a non removable battery. 

Yours faithfully

3 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I actually feel this was more of a design error than bad batteries, Samsung make pretty much the best batteries available, and the replacements still burned, I think the charge circuit or VRM's was to blame on the phone. 

it wasnt samsungs batteries that caught fire, but a third party's batteries. Samsung sourced batteries from several vendors, one of them turned out to be problematic. There was a press release about this earlier

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

it wasnt samsungs batteries that caught fire, but a third party's batteries. Samsung sourced batteries from several vendors, one of them turned out to be problematic. There was a press release about this earlier

Well they clearly lied or it wasn't true because 70% of the batteries came from Samsung SDI, a subsidiary of Samsung, or from Amperex, and the Amperex batteries didn't catch fire. 

Yours faithfully

The Note 7 debacle actually fortified my negative view of the Samsung brand as a whole. I'm not talking just phones, tablets or accessories. Some of them are actually good.

My negative view stands with most of their products, starting from consumer electronics all the way to small/major appliances, TVs/monitors and others, purely because I've seen first hand how they're built, what the common failure points are and their support for technicians is utter crap. It takes them THREE weeks to deliver ANYTHING requested for warranty service.

I still like their SSDs though

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

17 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

The Note 7 debacle actually fortified my negative view of the Samsung brand as a whole. I'm not talking just phones, tablets or accessories. Some of them are actually good.

My negative view stands with most of their products, starting from consumer electronics all the way to small/major appliances, TVs/monitors and others, purely because I've seen first hand how they're built, what the common failure points are and their support for technicians is utter crap. It takes them THREE weeks to deliver ANYTHING requested for warranty service.

I still like their SSDs though

What you desribed is basically any manufacturer, but as AvE or Dave Jones will tell you, companies make these things to a price point, from design to manufacturing. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

What you desribed is basically any manufacturer, but as AvE or Dave Jones will tell you, companies make these things to a price point, from design to manufacturing. 

We've worked with manufacturers that are way way way better than Samsung in many regards. We ended a 15 y.o. contract with Samsung because they were basically dicks when it came to anything.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

We've worked with manufacturers that are way way way better than Samsung in many regards. We ended a 15 y.o. contract with Samsung because they were basically dicks when it came to anything.

I've only dealt with ASUS Ireland and HP enterprise (that was for a server so the service was exceptional), but it massively varies by region. I've seen some Samsung stuff that was miles ahead of some brands, mostly in terms of PCB design and layout. 

Yours faithfully

The only things I ever buy from Samsung are SSDs, which are unrelated in every way, so no.

I think they got the wrong sub-contractor or supplier this time, but it won't affect future phones (of which I wouldn't be a potential customer anyway)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well, wouldn't affect my next purchase I mean shit happens sadly. 

You said they may not learn from this yet they don't even know what caused the Note 7 issue. So that is the problem.

Personally I like the unibody design and not having home button. Have such phone for over 3y.

Never owned Samsung smartphone but they are always on my top consideration. S8 is said to be a bigger leap and all that so we'll see.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

As complex as these machines are today I can't fathom discrediting or abandoning a brand like Samsung for the Note 7 debacle. Something is bound to happen on some products when you're selling on a massive scale like Samsung does.

Sure it sucks but they made a massive recall and people are getting their money back.

Meh. Accidents happen. 

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

My opinion of Samsung wavered a bit at the beginning of this fiasco, but after seeing them take appropriate steps using software to prevent the issue and then recalling the devices when the issue still wasn't completely fixed was a good recall in my opinion. Not like some of the auto makers like Toyota or Ford who just put a pin-up on their website for an airbag issue. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

if they had dragged it out and insisted that there was no problem like what apple is likely to do and is currently doing with the new macbook pro then they should have their brand name hurt but they reacted quickly and that actually earns respect from me and boosts my confidence in them

Well, every time you get on a plane Samsung gets free advertising as the in-flight Service Manager runs through the safety briefing.

It is all about awareness of the brand, and they have managed to get a lot of awareness on their phones and washing machines.

I am sure another phone manufacturer will learn from this marketing campaign and follow suit with exploding phones as well.

20 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah that mostly hyperbole. I have had to open my phone due to water damage to dry it out, and removing the battery massively helped stop corrosion. I sometimes have to go a days without a charge keeping my phone in my pocket and I don't want that port to be damaged while I wear big padded jackets and it's in a tiny pocket. Samsung's Fast Charge, I'll assume it's the same as qualcomms quick charge, recently caused a battery to die on me,so I went to buy a replacement (the battery was super bulging and was really quite dangerous I'd say) and while they asked to take the device in to to change the battery (I just then stuck the dead one in) and 20 minutes later voila, nice new batter, compared to my other two, a brand new one lasts about 30 minutes more. That is why I'd never sacrifice form over function. I use rack servers a lot in my house because they're just better than normal desktops for my use,same with removable battery phones. I'll NEVER use a unibody phone, I'd rather use a raspberry pi with a 4G internet dongle and a hacked device than one,

Haha, that seems like such a unique usage case.

Letting the battery drop below 10% is likely what hurt it. Possibly the quick charge as well, as the older methods aren't as good as the newer ones. They've steadily increased the performance of quick charge, the newest iteration can even detect inferior cables. How old was the battery? Most are only rated for 500 cycles.

I had a Samsung battery die on me this summer, pushed my trackpad through the top of my laptop and made a pretty big bulge in the lower cover and started to split it in half. Too many days in a near 40 degree room.

Most places can replace a battery in 30ish minutes for a sealed unit. Not too bad.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't know...I've lost confidence in Samsung after 2 of my Samsung monitors blew up way too soon (less than and slightly over a year of use). At least their smartphone hardware is pretty great nowadays, though I'm not a fan of the design.

3 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

I don't know...I've lost confidence in Samsung after 2 of my Samsung monitors blew up way too soon (less than and slightly over a year of use). At least their smartphone hardware is pretty great nowadays, though I'm not a fan of the design.

I have two Samsung monitors that are at least 10 years old that are still working flawlessly. So, our anecdotes balance out. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I have two Samsung monitors that are at least 10 years old that are still working flawlessly. So, our anecdotes balance out. 

Yeah, I'm just one of those guys in the other camp when it comes to Samsung stuff. I know they make great products, but I've been burned (no pun intended lol) twice within a short period of time, which turns me away from them.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, that seems like such a unique usage case.

Letting the battery drop below 10% is likely what hurt it. Possibly the quick charge as well, as the older methods aren't as good as the newer ones. They've steadily increased the performance of quick charge, the newest iteration can even detect inferior cables. How old was the battery? Most are only rated for 500 cycles.

I had a Samsung battery die on me this summer, pushed my trackpad through the top of my laptop and made a pretty big bulge in the lower cover and started to split it in half. Too many days in a near 40 degree room.

Most places can replace a battery in 30ish minutes for a sealed unit. Not too bad.

The battery was the one that first came with the phone, which I got in April 2015, replaced last month. As I'm 20 years old I live on my phone and never let it die willingly. The charge protection circuity found in the battery will prevent it actually going flat from use, usually cutting off around the 2.5-3v mark, depends on the device though. 

Yours faithfully

3 hours ago, Magnetorheological said:

See below.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

We call those outliers... and a sample size a hundred short of "true".

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

49 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

See below.

We call those outliers... and a sample size a hundred short of "true".

Yeah, it should be noted Samsung just buys parts from manufacturers, if those parts were "made on a Monday" (meaning they just aren't as good as others but still within spec) they might fail sooner, this is just something that happens, these products are made with dates at which they "expire", as in they've operated longer than the guaranteed rating, in MTBF (mean time between failures) and anything after that is bonus. I have a HP ancient monitor from 2004 that still works, VGA 1000 something by 700 something that I use on a server, I have no idea when it will fail but I know it will due to how components inevitably wear out. 

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The battery was the one that first came with the phone, which I got in April 2015, replaced last month. As I'm 20 years old I live on my phone and never let it die willingly. The charge protection circuity found in the battery will prevent it actually going flat from use, usually cutting off around the 2.5-3v mark, depends on the device though. 

I never let my phone go 50% if I can help it (so far, its only happened twice since I bought the phone), so the battery should last about as long as the one in my old Sony Ericson K750i (bought in 2007 for $275, battery replaced in 2015-since it was holding about 40% of its original capacity-for $30, phone replaced towards the end of 2015 due to the charging contacts being too corroded to actually charge the battery)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

I never let my phone go 50% if I can help it (so far, its only happened twice since I bought the phone), so the battery should last about as long as the one in my old Sony Ericson K750i (bought in 2007 for $275, battery replaced in 2015-since it was holding about 40% of its original capacity-for $30, phone replaced towards the end of 2015 due to the charging contacts being too corroded to actually charge the battery)

Higher capacity batteries tend to loose that capacity quicker, as they fit more it in degrades faster but cycling battery cells from 100% to 0% won't kill them and in some cases mean they stay in tip top shape, much like you should store li-po batteries around 50%, a little below sometimes, it isn't clear.

Yours faithfully