Samsung Brand Image Not Damaged By Note 7 Recall

Lord Nicoll

Samsung Note 7 Brand Image Affect   

202 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Note 7 recall and discontinuation affect your opinion and/or loyaly of Samsung in a negative way?

• No
    • Yes
    • I'm not sure

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Default android is not really my thing, it does a lot of things asinine in my mind, I like have more OS options and things like the easily changeable font, I have actually paid for fonts from the Samsung app store because they're awesome fonts.

Heck, I'd stick to a Nokia 3310. Legendary phone.

Jokes aside, BlackBerry phones do have a great deal of security. I've had 3 over the last 5 years and I still use one (BlackBerry Classic) as a business phone.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

Just now, FRN said:

Heck, I'd stick to a Nokia 3310. Legendary phone.

Jokes aside, BlackBerry phones do have a great deal of security. I've had 3 over the last 5 years and I still use one (BlackBerry Classic) as a business phone.

Yeah my Mother loved them and indeed my first real smartphone was the first Blackberry Storm, an amazing phone but it lacked wifi that meant it got an early death, 

Yours faithfully

The incident didn't change my opinion of them, because they were a damn sight faster than HP and Dell at starting the recall, and put a shitload more effort into it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

While I'd still buy a Samsung phone, I'd no longer buy them right away. I'd wait for a couple of months to see what happens.

Design processes will change for the phone, but chances are high it'll still use the same parts suppliers.

To think Samsung needs even more financial strain to learn it's lesson is ridiculous. They've already lost billions of dollars because of this.

When you only produce a couple of models a year, it's easy. My friend has a 2, maybe 3 year old iPhone and it's next to unusable with the updates. Some of his apps don't even work anymore. It's not exactly flawless.

Reliable sales data won't really be available until the next Note or large Samsung release.

It isn't as reliable as one things, I'm still kinda loyal to Samsung, every manufacture makes mistakes, but I simply don't a locked down phone I can't open. I like being able to change my battery on the fly, so if the S8 was not unibody, I'd probably buy it, but since it probably is, I won't. This is where a poll is more accurate of my opinion and sales data wouldn't be, but I;m still in two minds about it. Samsung is probably the biggest conglomerate in the world, a few billion to them is nothing, a damaged reputaiopn takes time to repair, profits recover a lot faster. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

It isn't as reliable as one things, I'm still kinda loyal to Samsung, every manufacture makes mistakes, but I simply don't a locked down phone I can't open. I like being able to change my battery on the fly, so if the S8 was not unibody, I'd probably buy it, but since it probably is, I won't. This is where a poll is more accurate of my opinion and sales data wouldn't be, but I;m still in two minds about it. Samsung is probably the biggest conglomerate in the world, a few billion to them is nothing, a damaged reputaiopn takes time to repair, profits recover a lot faster. 

So few people actually swap batteries that it makes sense to eliminate the feature.

In regards to your poll, it's similar to the elimination of the feature. So few people use it, I doubt it'd make much of an impact in the results. I don't think there's that many people holding out for a removable battery.

As a whole, yes. However they're all separate branches and technically separate companies, so they do feel it more.

I'm guessing you're not in business. ANY loss is felt, and any loss is taken seriously. Profits and reputation go hand in hand.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

So few people actually swap batteries that it makes sense to eliminate the feature.

In regards to your poll, it's similar to the elimination of the feature. So few people use it, I doubt it'd make much of an impact in the results. I don't think there's that many people holding out for a removable battery.

As a whole, yes. However they're all separate branches and technically separate companies, so they do feel it more.

I'm guessing you're not in business. ANY loss is felt, and any loss is taken seriously. Profits and reputation go hand in hand.

Well those people have so many other options it's a pain to see these heretics corrupting a good brand, but I guess I better go make my own phone, something I would rather do than use a unibody phone. I wonder how hard it is to flash TouchWiz onto another phone, but I'll probably have to move to Tizen, something I was considering anyway. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well those people have so many other options it's a pain to see these heretics corrupting a good brand, but I guess I better go make my own phone, something I would rather do than use a unibody phone. I wonder how hard it is to flash TouchWiz onto another phone, but I'll probably have to move to Tizen, something I was considering anyway. 

Haha, I'd say that's going a little far. Clearly you're in the minority. The brand is still perfectly fine, as are their phones. They consistently get better battery life than the competition, often by a substantial margin. I once thought removable was the only way, now I'm fine with sealed. I used to hate the thought of quick charging as an answer to sheer size, but as devices get more refined they're going 5, sometimes 6 hours of screen on time. I'd still like to see 4000mah+ packs in flagships instead of thinness, but I think being able to fully charge a phone within 20ish minutes (should be next year, maybe the year after) is a very good middle ground, especially since you can get battery banks with quick charge.

If you have a current phone, it should last a whole day.

If you need more juice, a battery bank should be a more than acceptable option seeing as you do need to sleep ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

43 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, I'd say that's going a little far. Clearly you're in the minority. The brand is still perfectly fine, as are their phones. They consistently get better battery life than the competition, often by a substantial margin. I once thought removable was the only way, now I'm fine with sealed. I used to hate the thought of quick charging as an answer to sheer size, but as devices get more refined they're going 5, sometimes 6 hours of screen on time. I'd still like to see 4000mah+ packs in flagships instead of thinness, but I think being able to fully charge a phone within 20ish minutes (should be next year, maybe the year after) is a very good middle ground, especially since you can get battery banks with quick charge.

If you have a current phone, it should last a whole day.

If you need more juice, a battery bank should be a more than acceptable option seeing as you do need to sleep ;)

Yeah that mostly hyperbole. I have had to open my phone due to water damage to dry it out, and removing the battery massively helped stop corrosion. I sometimes have to go a days without a charge keeping my phone in my pocket and I don't want that port to be damaged while I wear big padded jackets and it's in a tiny pocket. Samsung's Fast Charge, I'll assume it's the same as qualcomms quick charge, recently caused a battery to die on me,so I went to buy a replacement (the battery was super bulging and was really quite dangerous I'd say) and while they asked to take the device in to to change the battery (I just then stuck the dead one in) and 20 minutes later voila, nice new batter, compared to my other two, a brand new one lasts about 30 minutes more. That is why I'd never sacrifice form over function. I use rack servers a lot in my house because they're just better than normal desktops for my use,same with removable battery phones. I'll NEVER use a unibody phone, I'd rather use a raspberry pi with a 4G internet dongle and a hacked device than one,

Yours faithfully

34 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah that mostly hyperbole. I have had to open my phone due to water damage to dry it out, and removing the battery massively helped stop corrosion. I sometimes have to go a days without a charge keeping my phone in my pocket and I don't want that port to be damaged while I wear big padded jackets and it's in a tiny pocket. Samsung's Fast Charge, I'll assume it's the same as qualcomms quick charge, recently caused a battery to die on me,so I went to buy a replacement (the better was super bulging and was really quite dangerous I'd say, and while they asked to take the device in to to change the battery (I just then stuck the dead one in) and 20 minutes later voila, nice new batter, compared to my other two, a brand new one lasts about 30 minutes more. That is why I'd never sacrifice form over function. I use rack servers a lot in my house because they're just better than normal desktops for my use,same with removable battery phones. I'll NEVER use a unibody phone, I'd rather use a raspberry pi with a 4G internet dongle and a hacked device than one,

I'm lucky in regards to batteries, I can manually repack the one inside my laptop (and make it a higher capacity one at the same time), and my phone has its batteries still being sold by ZTE as well.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

I'm lucky in regards to batteries, I can manually repack the one inside my laptop (and make it a higher capacity one at the same time), and my phone has its batteries still being sold by ZTE as well.

My laptop is currently down awaiting repairs but I know the pack uses normal 18650 protected cells so changing that isn't hard but my laptop has a swappable battery so it doesn't matter. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

My laptop is currently down awaiting repairs but I know the pack uses normal 18650 protected cells so changing that isn't hard but my laptop has a swappable battery so it doesn't matter. 

When it ends up only having questionable replacement batteries from China available, you'll understand why I manually repack-the damn things on most occasions are of a lower actual capacity than the original, or only last a few months before starting to die.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

When it ends up only having questionable replacement batteries from China available, you'll understand why I manually repack-the damn things on most occasions are of a lower actual capacity than the original, or only last a few months before starting to die.

Being an ROG G750, I don't think there are many cheap ones from china, 8 cells is a lot to pack into a pack for a laptop that customers paid +€1369 for and has to power at least 88 watts. 

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Being an ROG G750, I don't think there are many cheap ones from china, 8 cells is a lot to pack into a pack for a laptop that customers paid +€1369 for and has to power at least 88 watts. 

Mine is just an old HP Pavilion DV6 3010AX (upgraded to a Phenom II N970)-replacement parts even when it was new were pretty much non-existent. And I'm only using it still because I spent a lot on upgrading it, poor build quality be damned (its really flimsy for a thick 15.5" laptop).

PMSL

15 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Not only did the Note 7 fiasco not hurt my image of Samsung, it improved it.

Because of how admirably they performed the recall and compensation? 

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

At least Apple owned up to their mistakes that were unintentional, unlike Samsung who designed their product to shaft customers and then later dodge the backlash with excuses.

Courage.

Samsung very quickly issued a recall and then not only refunded Note 7 users but compensated them. It shouldn't have happened but they at least dealt it. 

You mean like how the GPU's in Macbooks would die from overheating while under Apples warranties, then deny the warranty and blame the user for using their machine for GPU tasks then charge them around $750 to replace the whole motherboard and then a few years later admit they where wrong and launch an extended warranty programme AFTER they charged them to fix their mistake? Yeah real courageous. 

Yours faithfully

12 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Samsung very quickly issued a recall and then not only refunded Note 7 users but compensated them. It shouldn't have happened but they at least dealt it. 

You mean like how the GPU's in Macbooks would die from overheating while under Apples warranties, then deny the warranty and blame the user for using their machine for GPU tasks then charge them around $750 to replace the whole motherboard and then a few years later admit they where wrong and launch an extended warranty programme AFTER they charged them to fix their mistake? Yeah real courageous. 

They also blame the iPhone 6 touch IC issue on people (mainly, it not working after the phone was dropped and its screen replaced, due to lack of underfill found on previous iPhones and all other smartphones), despite the same people, the majority of them having owned 1 or more previous model, going through the same process with them and having the touchscreen work after the repair. Apple is terrible when it comes to doing anything about manufacturing defects.

PMSL

39 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Because of how admirably they performed the recall and compensation? 

Exactly. In my opinion they did this spectacularly, and dealt with this better than any company has ever dealt with a problem (that I know of)

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

53 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

At least Apple owned up to their mistakes that were unintentional, unlike Samsung who designed their product to shaft customers and then later dodge the backlash with excuses.

Courage.

You forgot to end your post with /s

Point out the last time apple acknowledged a hardware fault without first shafting its user base for an extended period of time, I'll wait.

I got a Note 7 launch week, and had it replaced before moving to a Pixel XL after the final recall, it was a solid phone but keeping it essentially voided my house and car insurance.

Edit: will add I came really close to getting myself and iPhone 7 Plus, in the end it was a 2 month wait vs getting it that day. brand loyalty is for idiots.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I'm not sure. I think it's made me want to hold off from anything Samsung sells until there is enough time to know that it won't cause me a headache once I get it. 

Yeah, sure they did do a recall and compensation but that's just business inorder to keep people's hearts. If they didn't have to, they wouldn't have. 

Also.. the fact that it made out of testing.. TWICE, is. Interesting to me and tells me how unorganized the quality control team is for the Note 

49 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Voted not sure. 

Obviously it is. Positive to see that the company took such swift and decisive action. 

But at the same time,  this issue did make it through quality control 

I actually feel this was more of a design error than bad batteries, Samsung make pretty much the best batteries available, and the replacements still burned, I think the charge circuit or VRM's was to blame on the phone. 

Yours faithfully

3 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I like Samsung phones but I hate unibody, which was why I used to love them so much, also not liking Androids default UI kinda made me love them by not liking the competition, but now I'm kinda in limbo for when my Note 4 can no longer keep up. 

I kinda like the current Samsung design, before we got our Galaxy S6s, I had a Moto G2 (The 2014 model) in white, which I think was likely the high point of the Moto G line. The 3rd and 4th gen of the Moto G didn't really seem to be very good.

I like vanilla Android so naturally I use the Google Now launcher with my S6 and use as many Google apps as possible. Though I'm not sure I like the direction Google is taking the UI for Android or at least where they seem to want to take it with the Pixel.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, wcreek said:

I kinda like the current Samsung design, before we got our Galaxy S6s, I had a Moto G2 (The 2014 model) in white, which I think was likely the high point of the Moto G line. The 3rd and 4th gen of the Moto G didn't really seem to be very good.

I like vanilla Android so naturally I use the Google Now launcher with my S6 and use as many Google apps as possible. Though I'm not sure I like the direction Google is taking the UI for Android or at least where they seem to want to take it with the Pixel.

Yeah, I might just buy some good phone with basic Android that has removable batteries and flash Tizen onto it, or just "make" the Galaxy Note 8 (they better not kill of my favourite phone like) not have a such in battery. 

Yours faithfully