Samsung Brand Image Not Damaged By Note 7 Recall

Lord Nicoll

Samsung Note 7 Brand Image Affect   

202 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Note 7 recall and discontinuation affect your opinion and/or loyaly of Samsung in a negative way?

• No
    • Yes
    • I'm not sure

On 21/11/2016 at 1:09 AM, Lord Nicoll said:

Samsung have longer software support where I live, They still provide updates for my Note 4, recently got one, somewhere in the region of two years, while Apple just release majorly new OSes with super large hardware hang over which makes the device slower, I prefer Samsung's approach, at least the device is still usable at end of life. 

As someone who owned a S3, I can assure you that their updates were late, screwed up with performance and support didn't last for long.

Not to mention that the iPhone 5 seems fine with iOS 10...

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Its not the Note7 that concerns me, but the low quality products they sell at the low budget end when it comes to TVs. 

We had people bringing back 850€ curved Samsung TVs because the screen would free itself from the frame and Samsung's service assistents were glueing them back to the frame with double sided tape. 

On some 300€ 40'' TVs screws were missing or frames were scratched or bent.

41 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

As someone who owned a S3, I can assure you that their updates were late, screwed up with performance and support didn't last for long.

Not to mention that the iPhone 5 seems fine with iOS 10...

I owned one an SIII too (I still have mine) I did not have any of those problems, but I always closed my apps from memory because any android phone becomes clogged and it takes time for the system to close the least recently used app. If you ensure your device is free of bloat it works pretty well, but Samsung phones often come with the Samsung version of an app and the google version, I use a mixture of both, and always have a back up in case one or the other fucks it up with updates. 

Yours faithfully

They made a mistake, they cut a corner. It seems they admitted their mistake and had enough decency to make refunds so if it's just a one off mistake then I'd answer the poll with no.

It's when companies make periodic mistakes to the point where you expect them that it damages the image of the producer.

3 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I owned one an SIII too (I still have mine) I did not have any of those problems, but I always closed my apps from memory because any android phone becomes clogged and it takes time for the system to close the least recently used app. If you ensure your device is free of bloat it works pretty well, but Samsung phones often come with the Samsung version of an app and the google version, I use a mixture of both, and always have a back up in case one or the other fucks it up with updates. 

Which version? The international version didn't get 4.2 and only got up to 4.3...

Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Which version? The international version didn't get 4.2 and only got up to 4.3...

What ever version was sold by O2 Ireland. Given that is probably when official support ended, what would you expect. I wouldn't put any newer on it even the option was there (idk, I haven't even turned it on in like 2 years, the battery is probably knackered) I don't know. I had two actually, one was sold locally and I think one was a US import, I'm not sure what was what.

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

What ever version was sold by O2 Ireland. Given that is probably when official support ended, what would you expect. I wouldn't put any newer on it even the option was there (idk, I haven't even turned it on in like 2 years, the battery is probably knackered) I don't know. I had two actually, one was sold locally and I think one was a US import, I'm not sure what was what.

Support ended within 2 years, and the iPhone 5 is running iOS 10 after what, 5 years?

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Support ended within 2 years, and the iPhone 5 is running iOS 10 after what, 5 years?

That is because putting a heavier OS on an older phone makes it somewhat more sluggish but if you want, and here's what is great about android and android based phone, you can flash the newer OS on super easy, both of my phones were rooted for the added benefits but I mostly use Linux so having a phone with a similar OS was quite handy. Also the iPhone 5 was released in September 21, 2012, 4 years. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

That is because putting a heavier OS on an older phone makes it somewhat more sluggish but if you want

http://arstechnica.co.uk/apple/2016/09/ios-10-iphone-5-iphone-5c/

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That is because putting a heavier OS on an older phone makes it somewhat more sluggish but if you want, and here's what is great about android and android based phone, you can flash the newer OS on super easy, both of my phones were rooted for the added benefits but I mostly use Linux so having a phone with a similar OS was quite handy. 

Flashing a custom OS means diminished camera quality with the loss of Manufacturer specific optimisations, and let's not forget the fact that stable releases take time.

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Also the iPhone 5 was released in September 21, 2012, 4 years. 

Still gets twice as long support.

Pascal laptops guide

18 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/apple/2016/09/ios-10-iphone-5-iphone-5c/

Flashing a custom OS means diminished camera quality with the loss of Manufacturer specific optimisations, and let's not forget the fact that stable releases take time.

Still gets twice as long support.

Flashing an OS doesn't mean diminished camera quality, I used many weird OSes in my time (including Tizen and bada, both interesting but not really my style) neither of them affected the camera quality. Given how many devices Samsung make, and how many Apple make, it's easy to why. I don't think iOS 11 will be as kind though to either phone. Not to mention this a thread about the Note 7 recall, Apple vs Samsung can go to another one from here. 

Yours faithfully

It didnt directly affect my opinions of the company smartphone division, which i can add im definetly not a fan off due to past issues and alike, but certainly im not gonna take this brand as anything other home appliances choice, but even so...

Millions of top lid washing machines, Note 7's and the high riser of problems thats usually comes with theyr devices be it on the opening of the box (faulty home buttons/displays right away) or the prolonged usage of the same, is pretty darn sad and definetly impacts a user future opinions more than the booms, but it always stacks up infinitely.

Groomlake Authority

On 11/20/2016 at 6:57 PM, MilkJugg24 said:

As someone who has owned a Note 7, it was an amazing phone. And I desperately wish I could have it back.

This cannot be said enough. I loved my Note 7 more than any phone before, and now I have a iPhone 7 Plus (I figured if I don't have a choice and have to exchange my Note 7 I might as well finally try an iPhone, US Cellular has shit for phone options right now). There are a few things that I do like about the iPhone, but I do not like it even half as much as I liked the Note 7. Although the lack of a fish-eye lens on the front-facing camera is nice..... 

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

On 11/20/2016 at 8:06 PM, SCHISCHKA said:

The recall was done appropriately. What i don't like is how they drop software support for their devices. Apple keeps their hardware supported for years; which is why i would consider using a iPhone or an ubuntu phone when my phone becomes old.

Software is my biggest problem with Samsung there so late to the party The Note always ships out of box outdated and my s7 edge is still outdated. That and Touchwiz wich has gotten less SHIT over the  years still Just looks childish and a little clunky here and there but overall its a Massive improvement over like back then with the S4/S5

9 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Higher capacity batteries tend to loose that capacity quicker, as they fit more it in degrades faster but cycling battery cells from 100% to 0% won't kill them and in some cases mean they stay in tip top shape, much like you should store li-po batteries around 50%, a little below sometimes, it isn't clear.

11 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I never let my phone go 50% if I can help it (so far, its only happened twice since I bought the phone), so the battery should last about as long as the one in my old Sony Ericson K750i (bought in 2007 for $275, battery replaced in 2015-since it was holding about 40% of its original capacity-for $30, phone replaced towards the end of 2015 due to the charging contacts being too corroded to actually charge the battery)

i Believe every battery has there own specific range but its more something ideal like Charging to 85% depleting to 20% theirs some sweet spots  for each battery.  and quick charging doesnt help the batterys longevity either 

3 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

i Believe every battery has there own specific range but its more something ideal like Charging to 85% depleting to 20% theirs some sweet spots  for each battery.  and quick charging doesnt help the batterys longevity either 

Its kind of bizzare that after well over 20 years of Litium Ion batteries existing, we still don't know how the hell we are supposed to treat them (except for the rules don't put them under pressure, or let them get hot).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I just don't understand the logic behind a company whose had a terrific track record screws up once should be burned at the stake and stomped into the ground, never to be trusted again.

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its kind of bizzare that after well over 20 years of Litium Ion batteries existing, we still don't know how the hell we are supposed to treat them (except for the rules don't put them under pressure, or let them get hot).

Well lithium is a pretty scary element. It's highly reactive under normal atmospheric conditions. You know all those things those science shows do with sodium? Same thing happens with lithium, more or less. That's just lithium's problem.

You know what's also fun? Lead-acid batteries emit hydrogen, also a highly explosive gas. :3

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I just don't understand the logic behind a company whose had a terrific track record screws up once should be burned at the stake and stomped into the ground, never to be trusted again.

Well lithium is a pretty scary element. It's highly reactive under normal atmospheric conditions. You know all those things those science shows do with sodium? Same thing happens with lithium, more or less. That's just lithium's problem.

You know what's also fun? Lead-acid batteries emit hydrogen, also a highly explosive gas. :3

Lead acid batteries are my friend when I want to do some electrolysis.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL