Backblaze releases some more flawed HDD failure statistics for Q3

Oshino Shinobu
1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

When will they learn you can't rely on a consumer drive in a datacenter...

They already have. They also learnt you can't rely on more expensive grades and they will also fail. No one makes a 100% reliable disk, and until then, this is how they decide to optimise their costs.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, Jovidah said:

You haven't even mentioned one of the biggest problems. The drives were mounted in all kinds of different storage solutions. So they weren't even given the same treatment. The major improvement the Seagate drives have suddenly seen is quite telling - you'd expect the larger disks to be less reliable, not more.

Not even going to bother with the rest of the flaws. It's garbage. If a student turned this in, they'd fail.

I mention it at the end of the second paragraph. 

"They ommit things such as the age of the drives, the proximity of the drives, the temperatures they were running at, the case/rack revision they were mounted in and so on"

That was one of the biggest issues in their older testing. Backblaze had two or three different mounting systems, some of which didn't have any vibration dampening at all. 

5 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

You haven't even mentioned one of the biggest problems. The drives were mounted in all kinds of different storage solutions. So they weren't even given the same treatment. The major improvement the Seagate drives have suddenly seen is quite telling - you'd expect the larger disks to be less reliable, not more.

Not even going to bother with the rest of the flaws. It's garbage. If a student turned this in, they'd fail.

Sorry 0/10 please try again. This isn't how hard drives work.

This is literally tantamount to claiming a 500 GB 850 Evo is less reliable than a 250 GB 840 Evo (actually a great comparison since parallelism in nand is identical). The obvious statement is "that's bullshit" because the 840 Evo had a controller that often shit the bed. Which guess what, that is also what matters the most for each NEW generation of hard drives (better designed armatures/controller/etc not the disks themselves being more or less reliable).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

This is literally tantamount to claiming a 500 GB 850 Evo is less reliable than a 250 GB 840 Evo (actually a great comparison since parallelism in nand is identical). The obvious statement is "that's bullshit" because the 840 Evo had a controller that often shit the bed. Which guess what, that is also what probably matters the most for each NEW generation of hard drives (better designed armatures/controller/etc not the disks themselves being more or less reliable).

Actually it's not bullshit. It shows in the hardware.fr numbers. The larger disks have higher RMA rates. The larger disks often have more heads / platters. Therefore, more parts that can die. Admittedly, there can be some difference between generations, but when the age-difference isn't too big it tends to hold up.

Now whether they have a higher failure rate per GB is a different matter... and an interesting one at that.

It's a bit of a different matter in SSD territory, given how these are still a relatively new and unmature product (compared to HDDs). You still see wild differences between products and RMA rates there.

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

This is literally tantamount to claiming a 500 GB 850 Evo is less reliable than a 250 GB 840 Evo (actually a great comparison since parallelism in nand is identical). The obvious statement is "that's bullshit" because the 840 Evo had a controller that often shit the bed. Which guess what, that is also what matters the most for each NEW generation of hard drives (better designed armatures/controller/etc not the disks themselves being more or less reliable).

Fun fact: I've had 1 HDD (Samsung Spinpoint 250GB) fail electrically due to it using ESM chips not Samsung like my others of the same model, and another fail mechanically since it got dropped. I switched the control boards around, and I got 1 working HDD out of it, and one that I could simply toss. And all of my other dead HDD (Maxtor, Quantum, Western Digital and Seagate only need the control board replaced-mechanically they are still good)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

18 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

Actually it's not bullshit. It shows in the hardware.fr numbers. The larger disks have higher RMA rates. The larger disks often have more heads / platters. Therefore, more parts that can die. Admittedly, there can be some difference between generations, but when the age-difference isn't too big it tends to hold up.

Now whether they have a higher failure rate per GB is a different matter... and an interesting one at that.

No they don't. http://www.hardware.fr/articles/947-6/disques-durs.html

I challenge you to sell me that within the same hardware lineup (which does not mean same generation ofc) there is any statistical correlation between drive size and failure rate.

5/6 To:

• 1,70% WD Red WD60EFRX
  • 0,00% WD Red WD50EFRX
  • 0,47% WD Green WD60EZRX

4 To:

• 0,79% Seagate NAS HDD ST4000VN000
  • 1,66% WD Red WD40EFRX
  • 1,70% WD Green WD40EZRX

3 To:

• 1,55% Seagate NAS HDD ST3000VN000
  • N/A for WD RED
  • 0,93% WD Green WD30EZRX

2 To:

• 0,40% Seagate NAS HDD ST2000VN000
  • 0,97% WD Red WD20EFRX
  • 1,38% WD Green WD20EZRX

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/nas-fam/nas-hdd/en-us/docs/100724684.pdf 

The 5/6/8 TB drives all use significantly improved generational design which is why you see something like this:

5 / 6 To :

• 1,94% Toshiba PX3010E-1HQ0
  • 1,70% WD Red WD60EFRX
  • 0,00% WD Red WD50EFRX

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

11 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

No they don't. http://www.hardware.fr/articles/947-6/disques-durs.html

I challenge you to sell me that within the same hardware lineup (which does not mean same generation ofc) there is any statistical correlation between drive size and failure rate.

5/6 To:

• 1,70% WD Red WD60EFRX
  • 0,00% WD Red WD50EFRX

4 To:

• 0,79% Seagate NAS HDD ST4000VN000
  • 1,66% WD Red WD40EFRX

3 To:

• 1,55% Seagate NAS HDD ST3000VN000
  • N/A for WD

2 To:

• 0,40% Seagate NAS HDD ST2000VN000
  • 0,97% WD Red WD20EFRX

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/nas-fam/nas-hdd/en-us/docs/100724684.pdf 

The 5/6/8 TB drives all use significantly improved generational design which is why you see something like this:

5 / 6 To :

• 1,94% Toshiba PX3010E-1HQ0
  • 1,70% WD Red WD60EFRX
  • 0,00% WD Red WD50EFRX

The point is that seagate/WD/HGST/Toshiba RARELY if ever update their lower capacity drives for consumer use (within recent times), and generally speaking you go straight up in generational improvements by increasing capacity.

So in the numbers you showed:

Seagate NAS:

2 TB: 0,4% failure

3 TB: 1,55% failure

4 TB: 0,79% failure

WD Red:

2 TB: 0,79% failure

4 TB: 1,55% failure

6 TB: 1,70% failure

(the 5 is mentioned in Italics because it has a low sales volume, so it's statistically useless).

If you exclude the 3 TB as an outlier - it is a known 'lemon' after all, it adds up pretty damn well.

Admittedly, all things being equal it might be feasible for the larger ones to be on the same level. But 8 TB as more reliable than the 2 and 4 TB? Inconceivable. ;)

Feel free to click back to older versions. It's a pretty consistent pattern. Within the same line you see RMA rates rising - slightly - as capacities increase. Even the 3 TB 'lemon' doesn't always show up in the data. If anything the 3TB versions tend to be 'weird'. They often perform worse than both the 2 and 4 TB (not just for Seagate, also for WD). 

27 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

snip

I have 3 data points, if I exclude one of my 3 data points I can make a line. CON-FUCKING-GRATULATIONS. Statistical significance is a thing.

Also see the edit that included the WD-Green lineup.

1,38/1,93/1,70/0,47 Yea tell me how statistically significant that relationship is as well. 

Also almost ever non-SMR 8TB drive is helium sealed, and yea that does make a huge difference (literally the HGST drive used for "consumers" and sold under the WD brand as well is the EXACT same physical drive as the enterprise one.)

Oh random thing, but based on the way the smaller (and older) WD-green drives are built (which is NOT used for the larger ones) you 100% would expect them to fail MUCH more rapidly under the type of workloads NAS/Server/Blackblaze puts on them. Which is why Blackblaze has a 8% annual failure rate for the 2TB model. This is not a big deal for consumer desktop workloads though.

Image result for intellipark

EDIT: Oh, WD actually fixed the IntelliPark stupidity about two years ago, but since the blackblaze 2TB drives are generally older than that that improvement doesn't show up.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Why not? As long as all data has some form of redundancy or another, constantly replacing cheap drives may or may not be cheaper than infrequently replacing expensive drives. As long as no catastrophic failure takes place, It's all the same to the end user, so whatever brings the lowest cost to them is fine.

@Oshino Shinobu It's meaningless, and I have no issue recommending or buying a Seagate drive. Although with that said, if two drives are the same price/capacity and both offer the performs/noise levels/etc... that I need, then I'd still get the WD drive (not a 6tb though) based on these results. If a drive has a lower failure rate in an enterprise environment, then I'd be willing to take the "risk" that it would also hold up better in its intended workflow (of course, that may very likely not be the case, but I'd still a "non-risk" that I'd be willing to take). So while the results are meaningless, they're not entirely meaningless (I wouldn't use it to bash/criticize Seagate or even to promote WD, but for my own personal use, I'd find the data somewhat useful....if that makes sense).

Now, of course there are other issues with the data which would make all of the above irrelevant (like a lack of information regarding the age of the drives and/or the environment they were in).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Over half of their drives are seagate st4000dm000... how can you make a fair statistic when the sample sizes differ so heavily?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Over half of their drives are seagate st4000dm000... how can you make a fair statistic when the sample sizes differ so heavily?

In fact, the difference in sample sizes doesn't matter at all. All that matters is for each of the samples to be sufficiently large. If all are at least of size N* (where N* depends on the statistic you intend to compute), one being N* and the other 1000xN* is irrelevant (you'll just have a different confidence interval for them - something the don't report).

I have 3 data points, if I exclude one of my 3 data points I can make a line. CON-FUCKING-GRATULATIONS. Statistical significance is a thing.

Actually... yes, it's pretty valid. It's only one out of 6 by the way. And as I said I based my statement not just on that one one comparison.

But even if you don't exclude it, it will still be statistically significant (and give a decent correlation). In fact, in this dataset, given the large numbers, pretty much any difference, regardless of how tiny or meaningless, is likely to be statistically significant. :) 

And as I said... the 3 TBs are (and I don't know exactly why) a returning issue, falling behind the 2 and 4's in a lot of tests. The Seagate 3 TB is a known outlier. 

If you're serious about arguing this point, you should throw all the disks in there from the last few years, taking all datapoints into account. But to be honest I'm too lazy to throw all that crap into SPSS just to calculate what I can see with my own eyes; generally, within the same type / line of product, larger capacity means higher RMA rate.

Also see the edit that included the WD-Green lineup.

1,38/1,93/1,70/0,47 Yea tell me how statistically significant that relationship is as well. 

Are you aware of how statistical significance is calculated? Either you use the raw numbers per drive - which we don't have; and it'll always be significant even if there was no actual difference (due to sample size). Or you use just the 4-5 numbers... and it'll never be significant (because a sample so low never will be). 

Besides. Arguing p is pussies. R² / eta² is where it's at. :)

Also almost ever non-SMR 8TB drive is helium sealed, and yea that does make a huge difference (literally the HGST drive used for "consumers" and sold under the WD brand as well is the EXACT same physical drive as the enterprise one.)

Oh random thing, but based on the way the smaller (and older) WD-green drives are built (which is NOT used for the larger ones) you 100% would expect them to fail MUCH more rapidly under the type of workloads NAS/Server/Blackblaze puts on them. Which is why Blackblaze has a 8% annual failure rate for the 2TB model. This is not a big deal for consumer desktop workloads though.

Image result for intellipark

So your point is that ' totally different drives can be more reliable' . Yes... I already admitted that much. Still doesn't mean an 8 GB version would suddenly be several times more reliable than the 4 TB versions. 

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

In fact, the difference in sample sizes doesn't matter at all. All that matters is for each of the samples to be sufficiently large. If all are at least of size N* (where N* depends on the statistic you intend to compute), one being N* and the other 1000xN* is irrelevant (you'll just have a different confidence interval for them - something the don't report).

Yes and no. Even when disregarding the inequality of the conditions, there's still the problem that a lot of the samples are far too small (given the small incidence rate of a failure). A lot of the drives are also tested far too short to really give an honest picture of how they perform.

Deriving AFR from a bunch of drives averaging just 90 days of drive times (in the case of the WD60EFRX) - even if it's in line with industry standards - is just a complete load of bollocks. And that's just one example. 

Admittedly, the hardware.fr numbers have their problems too. But at least there you have some degree of randomization - at least within product categories.

41 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Why not? As long as all data has some form of redundancy or another, constantly replacing cheap drives may or may not be cheaper than infrequently replacing expensive drives. As long as no catastrophic failure takes place, It's all the same to the end user, so whatever brings the lowest cost to them is fine.

Actually you're right from an economic point of view. I'm pretty sure it was their calculation as well; it's cheaper to just have some guy in there full-time swapping all the drives than to buy more expensive drives (as the cost premium is pretty big). As long as you have your redundancy worked out properly this can make decent sense. But you have to factor in above-average numbers of dead drives in your planning.

It also makes the data derived from such non-intended usecases pretty pointless to generalize. 

8 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

Yes and no.

You mention a lot of things I didn't talk about. There is no ambiguity in what I said, though: you either have a large enough sample to say something meaningful, or you don't. And if you have it, differences in sample size don't matter, it's just a matter of computing the relevant "sigma squared" and assess the reliability of your statistics.

Whether the sample mean they are measuring is a relevant measure of HDD reliability is something i didn't enter in.

31 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Sure, but they can't use a 34k unit sample size and then a 200 unit one and call the comparison fair... especially since the statistics have double decimal figures. They should all have at least 10000 units for it to work as you said.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

i wouldn't necessarily compare it to the EVO series. 

Failure rates on hard drives largely depend on the number of platters and much less on controllers.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Still wouldn't own Seagate if you paid me.  Nor would I own an HDD beyond cold-storage.  SSD train all the way.  Corsair, Intel, Kingston, and Samsung.

13 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

It also makes the data derived from such non-intended usecases pretty pointless to generalize. 

Not necessarily. We do not know how they were treated, but we do know its the worst case scenario for a consumer HDD. If a specific model has a unusually higher failure rate than the comparable products from other companies then it could be useful to avoid bad surprises...

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You mention a lot of things I didn't talk about. There is no ambiguity in what I said, though: you either have a large enough sample to say something meaningful, or you don't. And if you have it, differences in sample size don't matter, it's just a matter of computing the relevant "sigma squared" and assess the reliability of your statistics.

Whether the sample mean they are measuring is a relevant measure of HDD reliability is something i didn't enter in.

Again yes and no.

:)

I agree that, pure statistics-wise there is indeed no problem to have wildly different group sizes, as long as they hall hit a certain minimum level. So that's a yes.

But in this case some of the groups are simply too small (too few drives / too few drive hours) to give a representative measurement, given the low incidence of drive failures. IIRC that's an internal validity issue.

If all the numbers were multiplied by a 100, and all the drives had at least a few years under their belt I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. Right now there's a lot of capitalization on chance going on.

3 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

You do realize the point of them using consumer drives in a datacenter is to test for failure rates and such on consumer drives, in order to inform the consumer.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Not necessarily. We do not know how they were treated, but we do know its the worst case scenario for a consumer HDD. If a specific model has a unusually higher failure rate than the comparable products from other companies then it could be useful to avoid bad surprises...

Several articles already mentioned how the different drives were given different treatment (for example mounted in different cases). So even the numbers within the table cannot be compared to eachother.

The center theme of the last 2 pages was "these numbers are completely unreliable and utter nonsense". Utter nonsense is rather lacking in predictive value. ;)

But imagining for a moment that the numbers are reliable and valid. Then there's the problem that their test constitutes a test beyond what any of these drives were designed for, or will be used for. It's like taking a regular consumer Sedan, using them to try Paris-Dakar. How useful are those results when you buy a car to buy groceries, or just drive on highways? Unless you're planning to actually take it on a long drive through endless deserts and other off-road terrain, it's pretty useless. 

Predictive validity is nada. You might as well throw them off a building, see which one bounces up the highest, and rank them as such. 

12 minutes ago, 1823alex said:

You do realize the point of them using consumer drives in a datacenter is to test for failure rates and such on consumer drives, in order to inform the consumer.

Err no. The whole point of using consumer drives was because they were cheap and they were actually available (there was a drive shortage at the time).

The main purpose of the publication is in my opinion nothing but free publicity. In which they were quite succesful.

If they truly wanted to inform the consumer public, they wouldn't have made this garbage. All it does is misinform. This... 'thing' contains almost every mistake you could possibly commit in a research design. My statistics teacher would have flogged them. 

For all intends and purposes, although it's not without its own flaws, the hardware.fr numbers are far more useful.

I get the rational behind you guys arguing that larger HDDs must have statistically meaningfully larger failure rates, but when your base metric for that is like 1TB-4TB drives being 'more reliable', doesn't this mean that puny HDDs from the 90's that were only hundreds of megabytes or maybe a few gigabytes must have had a negative failure rate? :P  As drives get larger, the technology also advances the construction quality, and this is why we've seen overall HDD failure rates to stay within a nominal statistical range.