PSN may have been hacked again, at least in the UK.

DELTAprime

YouTube channel "The Know" posted a video explaining that there's an abnormally large number of UK PSN users that have had their accounts compromised in the last week or so. People are getting unauthorised charges on their credit cards from PSN for around 120 to 150 GBP and PlayStation UK support is getting overwhelmed by this.

PSN users in the UK have noted a dramatic uptick in hacked accounts over the last few days, with the PSN UK Twitter account being inundated with requests for support. Reportedly, users are also suffering unauthorized wallet deposits from their Paypal accounts and, in some cases, unauthorized purchases of games... specifically, FIFA. Footy!

Since Australian PSN is managed by PlayStation UK I have taken the precaution of removing my credit card as a payment option from my PSN account. I am concerned that no comment has been forthcoming from Sony.

Here are some followup articles, nothing much more added to the story tho.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/54863/playstation-network-hacking-spree-hits-uk-gamers/index.html

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/rash-of-playstation-hacks-hits-uk/

First news post here so I hope this meets the posting guidelines, if it doesn't let me know and I'll edit.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Well, get rekt i guess :P

Worst thing is that a lot of people pay Sony money to use it...

Oh well, i'm happy i don't have a PS3 or PS4 :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

22 minutes ago, Ben_Kyd said:

Poor poor console peasants, should have joined the glorious pc master race

and gotten horribly optimized and poor player userbases after the initial 2-3 months of "interest". Oh how great it would be to play the games at 60 FPS, 1080p with 12x MSAA and 32x Antistrophic Filtering. What glory it must be.

If only the game would get past the first mission without crashing.

PCMR really have everything. The up's n down's and everything inbetween. Too bad it rarely is consistent.

7 minutes ago, Prysin said:

and gotten horribly optimized and poor player userbases after the initial 2-3 months of "interest". Oh how great it would be to play the games at 60 FPS, 1080p with 12x MSAA and 32x Antistrophic Filtering. What glory it must be.

If only the game would get past the first mission without crashing.

But they get the desired 'cinematic' frame rate of a whoping 24fps

Main rig: Intel Core i7 7700k GeForce GTX 1880 |

Spoiler

hey, that's pretty good

8 minutes ago, Ben_Kyd said:

But they get the desired 'cinematic' frame rate of a whoping 24fps

So does PC, even more so as they pay for the premium cinema tickets while getting economy level quality *cough* batman *cough*

Wish both console networks would get hacked forever so the platform would have to be same as PC and there would be no need for ports and everything would be amazing for gaming :(

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

8 minutes ago, Prysin said:

So does PC, even more so as they pay for the premium cinema tickets while getting economy level quality *cough* batman *cough*

hehehe batman

Main rig: Intel Core i7 7700k GeForce GTX 1880 |

Spoiler

hey, that's pretty good

I was effected by this and I am in the UK. Had £120 taken out of my bank account and two sub accounts attached to my master account which used my debit card to purchase FIFA points. 

Called Sony they refunded me (said it was my fault in the process, my ass it is). But to top it all off they banned my account until I complained and they unbanned my account and apologised. They then invalidated the two sub accounts and requested them to be banned. Got a call of them today to tell me that they've banned the two sub accounts.

What a nightmare.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

holy lord. I had a PSN acc back in the days when it was first compromised, and I only had it for my PSP. Strange that this is happening again, and I'm thanking myself I didn't buy anything on there tbh

idk

Know someone who was affected by a previous hack, sounds like nothing has changed in their "guilty until proven innocent" approach. From memory they have recently enabled two factor authentication so maybe that'll help provide an extra layer of security.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Steam hasn't lost my information yet Touch wood.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

I'd rather true 1080p 60fps than 1080p with only foreground objects at 60 fps, and frequent frame dips....even if it meant going back to my GTX 650ti OC 2GB and lowering settings. And that game was a console port done by a studio that had never done a console-to-PC port before.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

48 minutes ago, porina said:

Know someone who was affected by a previous hack, sounds like nothing has changed in their "guilty until proven innocent" approach. From memory they have recently enabled two factor authentication so maybe that'll help provide an extra layer of security.

nah, as linus proved. Two factor isnt a damn fucking security measure. it's a joke

those 60$ put to good use. For "more secure and stable servers" they said

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

32 minutes ago, Prysin said:

nah, as linus proved. Two factor isnt a damn fucking security measure. it's a joke

2 factor authorization is going to do fuck all if SS7 is so fucking broken as it is now. and that only protects the end users side of entry. i mean its better to enable it but its not really going to stop big hacks like these.

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

2 factor authorization is going to do fuck all if SS7 is so fucking broken as it is now. and that only protects the end users side of entry. i mean its better to enable it but its not really going to stop big hacks like these.

nor is it going to stop MiM attacks snapping up your PV

43 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'd rather true 1080p 60fps than 1080p with only foreground objects at 60 fps, and frequent frame dips....even if it meant going back to my GTX 650ti OC 2GB and lowering settings. And that game was a console port done by a studio that had never done a console-to-PC port before.

no? that studio had done more then one port before. That was the whole core of the outcry about it.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

nor is it going to stop MiM attacks snapping up your PV

yea but a MiM attack is a lot harder to use on multiple people like this unless you have control over a major node. (i think atleast). crossreferencing leaked passwords and doing ss7 exploits seems way easier to me. doesn't the playstation use end to end encryption with the server? i dunno never looked into it but if i designed a system like that it would be one of the first things i would implement.

1 hour ago, alexyy said:

Steam hasn't lost my information yet Touch wood.

At least Steam doesn't require us to pay to use certain services. Nothing more shitty than a service you pay for having security problems. 

39 minutes ago, Prysin said:

You referring to the time someone managed to steal his phone identity and thus compromised whatever was secured by it? I don't think anyone thinks 2FA is a universal cure-all, but if it helps prevents password hacking that is one less avenue of attack.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

At least Steam doesn't require us to pay to use certain services. Nothing more shitty than a service you pay for having security problems. 

Yeah it's disgusting I remember in the previous hack they had Staff records saved in plain text, for any company that is ridiculous. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

32 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

well technically you still pay for it with a small fee over every purchase.

3 minutes ago, tlink said:

well technically you still pay for it with a small fee over every purchase.

Don't forget the amount of money they milk out of CSGO & TF2.

4 hours ago, Prysin said:

Credit where credit's due, that Batman game is actually pretty well optimized now.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.