Solar Panel Taxes?

bcredeur97

Ok first I want to start off with a disclaimer: I only know this to be occurring where I live, I am not sure that it occurs anywhere else. But I want to encourage other's to research this for themselves.

Source: http://theind.com/article-24174-lus-quietly-clouds-solar’s-future.html

So apparently, the local electricity company in my town is going to be taxing solar panel users, making their bill high enough that it's actually higher in certain months than if they didn't have solar panels, due to these extra fees.  Perhaps, due to the abundance of houses with panels in my area, the electric company is beginning to lose money over this problem, or perhaps it's just another case of coorperate greed. Whatever it is, this really isn't funny in terms of making these systems, that people spend $1000's on in hopes to save over many years, completely and utterly useless! 

Let me know what you guys think about this. And yes, the fees specifically target homes with solar panels installed, one's without panels are unaffected. The charge itself is deemed a "wiring fee" (wha?)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

It's a Southern state. This doesn't surprise me one bit. I heard of another state a while back that did this and it was also a southern state (can't remember which one).

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

"Lets tax our resident's use of the sun"

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Local energy co-op in my area tried to do the same thing so that neighborhoods couldn't upgrade to solar panels unless they were the ones to install and supply the power.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

12 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

It's a Southern state. This doesn't surprise me one bit. I heard of another state a while back that did this and it was also a southern state (can't remember which one).

It is actually illegal in Colorado to collect the rain that falls on your home, so stupidity isn't just a southern thing

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

It is actually illegal in Colorado to collect the rain that falls on your home, so stupidity isn't a southern thing

In NJ you're not allowed to use a stream/river running through your property to create power either. So it's not just southern/western thing. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

is it an American right to breath air , soak in the sun and drink rain water. e=mc^2. everything is energy or perhaps it is not the land of the free....

Just now, jools said:

is it an American right to breath air , soak in the sun and drink rain water. e=mc^2. everything is energy or perhaps it is not the land of the free....

It's the land of the free and "no taxation without representation". There just happens to be someone representing us at the voting poll...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

"no taxation without representation". 

Unless you live in D.C. (or one of the territories).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Wow.

Liberals - continuing to ruin everything...

Glad I live in Iowa... the electric company has to pay you for any current you put back on the grid...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Unless you live in D.C. (or one of the territories).

Formerly NJ, now Florida. We can't have solar panels after Proposition #? went through due to the companies not advertising it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It's the land of the free and "no taxation without representation". There just happens to be someone representing us at the voting poll...

This is why I like my state, when they try to introduce a tax we either boycott NH liquor stores the lottery or we simply never allow anyone who tried to introduce said tax from entering office again

Edited by AresKrieger
It quoted the wrong person

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I would consider myself a red-green or a green-red depending upon ideology....... and give every man the right to buy solar panels, wind turbine or a nuclear power plant. I am really that liberal

29 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

In NJ you're not allowed to use a stream/river running through your property to create power either. So it's not just southern/western thing. 

I mean you say that, but hydro power has ludicrously large ecological damage (WHEN NOT DONE ALMOST PERFECTLY) and small scale installations are hilariously inefficient.

It honestly makes 100% sense for 99.99999% of applicable cases in a state like NJ.

The solar panel thing though is just pure greed.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Meanwhile I'm getting a home, and disconnecting from the grid with a solar roof, powerwall, few acres for farming, and my own creek.  The, "no collecting rain water" stuff is bollocks, and should be majorly disputable in court as well, and if not - Sovereign pseudo-legal system to get out of it.  Federal taxes?  Sovereign pseudo-legal system. Solar tax?  Sovereign pseudo-legal system. You can dispute and get out of nearly any and all taxes.

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

ludicrously large ecological damage

Hydro power is one of the least damaging power generation methods to the environment, the only things really affected are migrating fish and it is fairly simple to build around that issue

5 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I mean you say that, but hydro power has ludicrously large ecological damage and small scale installations are hilariously inefficient.

It honestly makes 100% sense for 99.99999% of applicable cases in a state like NJ.

The solar panel thing though is just pure greed.

The Great Falls in Paterson, NJ (I used to lived in Woodland Park) would have been a grand location for a few of those turbines thanks to the wide portions and strong currents along most of the river. F#ck, the Great Falls were the only beauty to be found in Paterson until you get to the mountains and forests of Woodland Park.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Hydro power is one of the least damaging power generation methods to the environment, the only things really affected are migrating fish and it is fairly simple to build around that issue

Or do what China does - build a near trillion dollar Dam, and also build a new coal factory every week.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Paragraph 2 http://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/?page=hydropower_environment

Not just fish. Damming waterways (for any purpose) causes massive damage to all the flora and fauna of the water basin (similar in reverse to reclaiming wetlands).

And we both know, no random consumer is going to give jack shit of a care about properly abating the negative consequences of hydro-power use.

So sure you can regulate the shit out of it (probably more expensive than just banning), or you can assume that people are dumbasses and shouldn't fuck with shit they don't understand.

For the record, Hydropower arguably creates the single largest per unit-energy LOCAL ecosystem damage. It does quite well compared to fossile fuels when looking at GLOBAL ecosystem damage (although again small installations of hydropower are highly inefficient).

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

meaning....

It's the land of the free CAVEAT no taxation without representation ERGO I give my freedom to the representative at the poll...

3 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Or do what China does - build a near trillion dollar Dam, and also build a new coal factory every week.

Speaking of which....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/chinas-three-gorges-dam-disaster/

This is why you don't let random people build dams....

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The Great Falls in Paterson, NJ (I used to lived in Woodland Park) would have been a grand location for a few of those turbines thanks to the wide portions and strong currents along most of the river. F#ck, the Great Falls were the only beauty to be found in Paterson until you get to the mountains and forests of Woodland Park.

Again, you'd really need to do some ecological surveys to see exactly what the damage might be and the potential power tradeoff you can get from it, but that is something that should be done on a community/industry scale at the least. Not by any individual homeowner.

And for the love of god. Not in a national park.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Not just fish. Damming waterways (for any purpose) causes massive damage to all the flora and fauna of the water basin (similar in reverse to reclaiming wetlands).

By that logic building any man made structure creates massive localized ecological damage, hence the argument is pointless as any power generation facility will take a large area, look just how much land mass solar arrays take as an example.

10 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

By that logic building any man made structure creates massive localized ecological damage, hence the argument is pointless as any power generation facility will take a large area, look just how much land mass solar arrays take as an example.

Image result for land use per energy source

Hydropower's energy specific land use is actually far worse than solar power, although better than Wind. Both against solar panels (voltaic) and against CSP (concentrated solar power/thermal arrays).

Furthermore, you need to consider the type of land being used for each. Solar voltaic systems for consumers use already active land (rooftops), and thus the ecological impact is less than other equivalent land-uses. Concentrated solar power is almost always proposed in deserts, where biosphere diversity and density is far far lower than normal, and thus their ecological impact is less than land-use might suggest. By it's very nature, hydropower effects mainly highly diverse and bioactive land basins and thus has a HIGHER ecological impact than even it's land use might suggest (this is a trait shared with biofuels which take up only farmable land).

(By comparison fossil fuels, and nuclear plants are land type neutral. They really don't care where they are placed and thus comparing their land use is quite easy.)

Obviously though while fossil fuel plants do quite well at land-use, they tend to have just a few bad side effects. Hahahaha.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Ok first I want to start off with a disclaimer: I only know this to be occurring where I live, I am not sure that it occurs anywhere else. But I want to encourage other's to research this for themselves.

Source: http://theind.com/article-24174-lus-quietly-clouds-solar’s-future.html

So apparently, the local electricity company in my town is going to be taxing solar panel users, making their bill high enough that it's actually higher in certain months than if they didn't have solar panels, due to these extra fees.  Perhaps, due to the abundance of houses with panels in my area, the electric company is beginning to lose money over this problem, or perhaps it's just another case of coorperate greed. Whatever it is, this really isn't funny in terms of making these systems, that people spend $1000's on in hopes to save over many years, completely and utterly useless! 

Let me know what you guys think about this. And yes, the fees specifically target homes with solar panels installed, one's without panels are unaffected. The charge itself is deemed a "wiring fee" (wha?)

we have a fee since day 1 of home solar panels and we DONT even have solar panels . im not talking about a few pennies on a bill its 1/4 or more sometimes for renewable energy charges . so 600$ bill 150 is all crap windmills solar geothermal ect   i hate pseg . also solar panels are mostly useless if no rebates are usable .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS