Phil Schiller says the Macbook Pro doesn't need an SD card slot

Phil Schiller, senior VP of Apple's worldwide marketing, had an interview with the Independent regarding Apple's latest product the Macbook Pro.

The product has received criticism for the use of Thunderbolt ports as a replacement for...everything

He was asked why the SD Card slot, commonly used by photographers, was absent

The new Pros have no SD card slot for a camera memory card. Why not?

Because of a couple of things. One, it’s a bit of a cumbersome slot. You've got this thing sticking halfway out. Then there are very fine and fast USB card readers, and then you can use CompactFlash as well as SD. So we could never really resolve this – we picked SD because more consumer cameras have SD but you can only pick one. So, that was a bit of a trade-off. And then more and more cameras are starting to build wireless transfer into the camera. That’s proving very useful. So we think there’s a path forward where you can use a physical adaptor if you want, or do wireless transfer. - Phil Schiller

The Independent then questioned Schiller as to why they kept the headphone jack 

A port that was removed from their flagship phone yet remains present in their latest Macbook Pro iteration 

Is it inconsistent to keep the 3.5mm headphone jack as it’s no longer on the latest iPhone?

Not at all. These are pro machines. If it was just about headphones then it doesn’t need to be there, we believe that wireless is a great solution for headphones. But many users have setups with studio monitors, amps, and other pro audio gear that do not have wireless solutions and need the 3.5mm jack. - Phil Schiller

It seems kind of weird to see the company that took out the headphone jack to defend why they kept it on another device

It seems "inconsistent" as The Independent stated

Apple has taken many risks lately though I'm not quite sure they're all worth taking 

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/apple-macbook-pro-new-philip-schiller-interview-phil-iphone-ios-criticism-a7393156.html

So instead of having a "card sticking out" you can have an octopus of things sticking out. Brilliant!

Also why bother with the 3.5mm jack if an audiophile is probably going to hook up a USB DAC to the thing anyway?

3 hours ago, DatSpeed said:

Because of a couple of things. One, it’s a bit of a cumbersome slot. You've got this thing sticking halfway out.

you mean like this, Apple? 

isd-card-reader-macbook-air.jpg

my 2013 HP Pavilion has a SD card reader and you what? it doesn't stick out

Spoiler

ja6ruEO.jpg

if you can't tell, there's a SD card in there

yea some contradiction on the headphones, why wasn't that logic used for the iPhone; some people have really expensive audiophile headphones. pretty bad decision not to include SD card IMO because i couldn't imagine its very productive transferring 100GB of media over wireless

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

yea some contradiction on the headphones, why wasn't that logic used for the iPhone; some people have really expensive audiophile headphones. pretty bad decision not to include SD card IMO because i couldn't imagine its very productive transferring 100GB of media over wireless

Wireless camera transfer is shit, but you're also not going to want to transfer 100GB of media over a USB 2.0 bus (which is what most SD card slots are on).

So most professionals will be using a USB 3.0 card reader anyway (especially since most pro cameras don't even use SD). And the typical non-pro user doesn't even know what an SD card is. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

But many users have setups with studio monitors, amps, and other pro audio gear that do not have wireless solutions and need the 3.5mm jack. - Phil Schiller

You didn't think about that on the phone, but thought about it on the laptop? Most people use the same headphones for their phone and laptops too. You'd be better off saying that Apple had a lack of confidence the second time around.

And yet, they didn't think of people that have photography equipment that still use SD cards? Also, doesn't wireless transfer take up time to do, and so an SD card would just be a faster method anyway?

Now, we can say that the game industry isn't the only one having problems with ports...

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

how much is a SD card reader on Apple Store? 50-60$ - that's why there isn't one on the MacBook PRO 2016

By that logic they could have pushed macbook pro* users to buy thunderbolt adapters for their headsets, like they did with the phones

*By pro they of course mean not-pro-at-all but just richer customers that still don't need more cores or a better GPU on their 2k+ laptop, cause fuck it we gotta get paid my as well rob "pro" out of any meaning.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Now, we can say that the game industry isn't the only one having problems with ports...

They had that growing pain last generation when Sony started removing ports on the PS3 and Nintendo for some reason doesn't have an Ethernet port on their consoles.

Actually, they are SD card reader that takes in an SD card slot in full, and is flush with the system. Press on it, and the card ejects from system. The WiiU has this, my old laptop had this, all quality microSD card readers has this.

As for the headphones plug. Professionals uses USB DAC and equipment, not headphones plug. I never saw any professional go with analogue plug solution via headphone plug, over digital signal, with it's own, way better DAC and amp setup.

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

So most professionals will be using a USB 3.0 card reader anyway (especially since most pro cameras don't even use SD). And the typical non-pro user doesn't even know what an SD card is. 

I had to check if mine was usb 2 or 3. My MacBook air 2015 does use the USB 3 controller and reports its speed at the USB 3 spec. Interestingly the apple web site says the desktop macs use PCIe and the laptops use USB 2. Maybe just be the 2015 models have USB 3 and they didn't update their website. I wouldn't know if its got good speed coz i only used my SD card reader to dd raspberry pi images

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 05.01.21.png

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually, they are SD card reader that takes in an SD card slot in full, and is flush with the system. Press on it, and the card ejects from system. The WiiU has this, my old laptop had this, all quality microSD card readers has this.

As for the headphones plug. Professionals uses USB DAC and equipment, not headphones. I never saw any professional go with analogue via headphone, over digital signal, with it's own, way better DAC and amp setup.

They also use more than 2 cpu cores despite Apple's idea of naming a "pro" model that's not really pro and then the real (as in really expensive) pro models.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

As for the headphones plug. Professionals uses USB DAC and equipment, not headphones. I never saw any professional go with analogue via headphone, over digital signal, with it's own, way better DAC and amp setup.

yeah you just failed hard there. Sound is analogue. The pro's you are refering to work with making music and such, they need/want as high audio quality as they can get and they have a DAC (digital to analog converter) and then they have a amp, so they can power their headphones or speakers.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

yeah you just failed hard there. Sound is analogue. The pro's you are refering to work with making music and such, they need/want as high audio quality as they can get and they have a DAC (digital to analog converter) and then they have a amp, so they can power their headphones or speakers.

k.. enjoy your Premium(TM)(R) $1 onboard DAC chip on your MacBook Pro then. Let the real people with real jobs, use proper high-quality equipment, to deliver the best rich sound by not having to convert a signal from analogue to digital back down to analogue, not to mention to pass through a shitty amp and DAC at 'the source'.

He's right about juggling between different media. Large portion of the market is switching to CF as prices have been steadily dropping and adoption rates have been going up. Then you have the big professionals who are using SSD storage on their cameras anyway.

I'm a big proponent of the convenience of the SD card slot but I figured with those transfer speeds over TB3, it's better off to use an adapter anyway.

49 minutes ago, DatSpeed said:

Phil Schiller, senior VP of Apple's worldwide marketing, had an interview with the Independent regarding Apple's latest product the Macbook Pro.

The product has received criticism for the use of Thunderbolt ports as a replacement for...everything

He was asked why the SD Card slot, commonly used by photographers, was absent

The Independent then questioned Schiller as to why they kept the headphone jack 

A port that was removed from their flagship phone yet remains present in their latest Macbook Pro iteration 

It seems kind of weird to see the company that took out the headphone jack to defend why they kept it on another device

It seems "inconsistent" as The Independent stated

Apple has taken many risks lately though I'm not quite sure they're all worth taking 

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/apple-macbook-pro-new-philip-schiller-interview-phil-iphone-ios-criticism-a7393156.html

Lol @ 3.5mm jack being the "Pro" solution for studio monitors.

Clueless bastard.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

The missing port sound engineers would complain about in the new MBP is the USB-Type A. 

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

Just now, GoodBytes said:

k.. enjoy your Premium(TM)(R) $1 onboard DAC chip on your MacBook Pro then. Let the real people with real jobs, use proper high-quality equipment, to deliver the best rich sound by not having to convert a signal from analogue to digital back down to analogue, not to mention to pass through a shitty amp and DAC at 'the source'.

Why don't you stop talking about things you don't know anything about huh?

Audio is analogue, how are you suppesed to hear digital things? Hence a DAC, it makes the digital signal analogue. You have a audio files on your PC that is digital, how are you going to hear that without a DAC and amp? You can't. Speakers are analogue, headphones are analogue. They move air to create sound.

The analogue signal a DAC makes is not that powerful hence you need a amp to give it power.

phone has a DAC and amp, your TV has a DAC and amp, your laptop has a DAC and amp, your desktop has a DAC and amp.

So let me break this down so you understand this.

Audio file -> DAC -> amp -> Speaker/headphones

Also that response wasn't very mod like.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 11/2/2016 at 11:47 AM, zMeul said:

how much is a SD card reader on Apple Store? 50-60$ - that's why there isn't one on the MacBook PRO 2016

This is probably the most deluded comment.Not for Apple prices, but the fact that pretty much any readers from amazon can do the job necessary

On 11/2/2016 at 11:50 AM, dragosudeki said:

You didn't think about that on the phone, but thought about it on the laptop? Most people use the same headphones for their phone and laptops too. You'd be better off saying that Apple had a lack of confidence the second time around.

You did notice that he was talking about a completely different scenario, right?

And yet, they didn't think of people that have photography equipment that still use SD cards? Also, doesn't wireless transfer take up time to do, and so an SD card would just be a faster method anyway?

pretty bad decision not to include SD card IMO because i couldn't imagine its very productive transferring 100GB of media over wireless

Wireless on camera suck, at least right now. But I'd rather have a USB 3 (maybe 3.1) Card Reader especially when the industry is moving away from SD Format like UFS (with the onset of 4K). Besides many cameras already other formats like CompactFlash, so it doesn't seem to benefit many people if they actually had an SD card slot

On 11/2/2016 at 11:46 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

yea some contradiction on the headphones, why wasn't that logic used for the iPhone; some people have really expensive audiophile headphones.

Again a different scenario. Most people use earplugs on iPhones while commuting while he's specifically talking about audio professionals

12 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Audio is analogue, how are you suppesed to hear digital things? Hence a DAC, it makes the digital signal analogue. You have a audio files on your PC that is digital, how are you going to hear that without a DAC and amp? You can't. Speakers are analogue, headphones are analogue. They move air to create sound.

The analogue signal a DAC makes is not that powerful hence you need a amp to give it power.

Sooooo, you actually agree with me? Make your mind.. you agree or not?

phone has a DAC and amp, your TV has a DAC and amp, your laptop has a DAC and amp, your desktop has a DAC and amp.

Yes... A shit DAC and a shit amp. That is why professionals uses separate DAC/Amp setup over using the onboard crap provided by manufacture... solutions that are also not restricted in power and space as well.

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

to deliver the best rich sound by not having to convert a signal from analogue to digital back down to analogue, not to mention to pass through a shitty amp and DAC at 'the source'.

Well you only need to convert from digital to analogue for playback and vice verse for recording.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Also that response wasn't very mod like.

While the post you replied to isn't correct and you didn't say anything wrong, you're missing the point:

For recording music the shitty integrated DAC and 3,5mm headphone jack aren't going to cut it for most people, certainly not for an audio professional.

You would use an external DAC connected via Firewire/USB or whatever.

Aside from DAC quality you need phantom power to even use a condenser mic just to name one example.

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Sooooo, you actually agree with me? Make your mind.. you agree or not?

I said the same thing m8. if you just take your time to read it.

"Sound is analogue. The pro's (not "macbook pro" people) you are refering to work with making music and such, they need/want as high audio quality as they can get and they have a DAC (digital to analog converter) and then they have a amp, so they can power their headphones or speakers. "

When a producer is sitting there doing his job, then he records the music while turning on some things, but if you think he is doing all of the mixing live then you are a fool. They have a digital file that they are using to mix from, they go over the same audio so many times to make it sound perfect, they use speakers and they use headphones. First they make it sound good with speakers, then they test with headphones to see how sounds with them, while listning after all the small flaws

to quote you

I never saw any professional go with analogue via headphone, over digital signal

you see the problem there is that headphones are analogue, so are speakers.

Also you are not very mod like, you are very rude.