Phil Schiller says the Macbook Pro doesn't need an SD card slot

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.....

But CF is more prevalent in professional cameras than SD cards are.

I can't say how the Prosumer and Professional camera market is now (Talking dSLR's), but back when I worked for a camera shop in College (~6-8-ish years ago), a lot of higher end cameras were starting to come with slots for both, allowing the photographer to choose his or her desired media. It wasn't a given anymore at that point that a high end dSLR would only have CompactFlash.

But, you're still right, CompactFlash has been the media of choice for professional photographers for ages.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I can't say how the Prosumer and Professional camera market is now (Talking dSLR's), but back when I worked for a camera shop in College (~6-8-ish years ago), a lot of higher end cameras were starting to come with slots for both, allowing the photographer to choose his or her desired media. It wasn't a given at anymore at that point that a high end dSLR would only have CompactFlash.

But, you're still right, CompactFlash has been the media of choice for professional photographers for ages.

AFAIK, the consumer stuff uses SD, prosumer uses SD and/or CF, and the professional stuff uses CF/XQD. (at least with Nikon)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

AFAIK, the consumer stuff uses SD, prosumer uses SD and/or CF, and the professional stuff uses CF/XQD. (at least with Nikon)

Ahh yes XQD didn't exist yet at the time. I stopped working there somewhere around 2010, which was when the XQD spec was being finalized. The first card didn't come out until like 2012.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

the macbook pro isn't for professionals imo

its for the regular consumer that knows that the air fucking sucks.

:P 

i mean sure there are 'professional' things sprinkled here and there, but really the macbook pro replaced the 'macbook' which was what was for the consumers.

then again, i have no fucking idea whats inside the macbook pro/macbook/macbook air, only know that the pro has that rehtinha display, better battery (what i assume) and a bit more performance (which is what everyone wants, right?)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, themctipers said:

the macbook pro isn't for professionals imo

its for the regular consumer that knows that the air fucking sucks.

:P 

i mean sure there are 'professional' things sprinkled here and there, but really the macbook pro replaced the 'macbook' which was what was for the consumers.

then again, i have no fucking idea whats inside the macbook pro/macbook/macbook air, only know that the pro has that rehtinha display, better battery (what i assume) and a bit more performance (which is what everyone wants, right?)

Nha...

MacBook Pro is supposed to be the MacBook Air. With the exception of the MacBook Pro 13 without the touch display, is what the MacBook should be.

Basically, the MacBook Pro is gone.

Now, it will sale very well, because if you want the fastest laptop running MacOS, you have 0 choice, and many MacBook users have been stretching out to the max their system upgrade schedule for the new MacBook Pro... now this is it... So they have no choice to buy it, basically. I am sure they are not pleased, but have no choice. This is the OS they are used to, this is where all their software works on, with many without a Windows version of it. And many web devs prefers Macs, because setting up web stuff to develop and test is MUCH easier on MacOS, because the back-end is Unix, which is what most servers runs.

So setting stuff for like programming Ruby it is easy. Windows it is a serious pain. Although, with Windows 10 now running Linux subsystem, it is changing.. but more work needs to be done on Microsoft part, and Windows IDE software needs to be updated to communicate with the Linux subsystem of Windows 10 instead, so that things can compile and run. Until then, MacOS is a great choice as an easy to use, welcoming, GUI environment over Linux based OS, not to mention Linux based OS have less software support.

12 hours ago, DatSpeed said:

Not at all. These are pro machines.

TOPKEK

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

14 hours ago, DatSpeed said:

Phil Schiller, senior VP of Apple's worldwide marketing, had an interview with the Independent regarding Apple's latest product the Macbook Pro.

The product has received criticism for the use of Thunderbolt ports as a replacement for...everything

He was asked why the SD Card slot, commonly used by photographers, was absent

The Independent then questioned Schiller as to why they kept the headphone jack 

A port that was removed from their flagship phone yet remains present in their latest Macbook Pro iteration 

It seems kind of weird to see the company that took out the headphone jack to defend why they kept it on another device

It seems "inconsistent" as The Independent stated

Apple has taken many risks lately though I'm not quite sure they're all worth taking 

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/apple-macbook-pro-new-philip-schiller-interview-phil-iphone-ios-criticism-a7393156.html

Does anyone agree or disagree with me here when I say that Apple is going down the shithole with all of these terrible design choices after Jobs' death?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

10 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Does anyone agree or disagree with me here when I say that Apple is going down the shithole with all of these terrible design choices after Jobs' death?

I don't see Jobs as some Messiah that had all the right answers. There were plenty of disasters under his leadership too. *cough*lisa*cough*

I think Apple is in a period where they don't really know their direction. Not every decision has been shit, they've made some excellent decisions and excellent products since Jobs has passed away. They've also made some dumbass ones too.

I wouldn't say they are going down the shithole just yet, since despite the dumbfounded decisions, they'll still sell millions of iPhone 7's and millions of 2016 Macbook "Pro"'s.

On 11/2/2016 at 0:05 PM, GoodBytes said:

As for the headphones plug. Professionals uses USB DAC and equipment, not headphones plug. I never saw any professional go with analogue plug solution via headphone plug, over digital signal, with it's own, way better DAC and amp setup.

"Professionals" what kind? Music producers? Video editors? Photographers? DJs? The issue with quantifying a group of vastly different people is that you end up making broad assertions that aren't necessarily correct. If you're just simply editing video on your laptop, the built-in headphone jack could be sufficient for your needs. If you're a music producer who wants to show a demo to a client, the built-in headphone jack could be sufficient for your needs. If you're a DJ who's putting a mix together on their way to work, the built-in headphone jack could be sufficient for your needs. 

The same people that use external DACs and audio interfaces are the same people that can still use them, they just - annoyingly - need a cable or an adapter.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

On 2.11.2016 at 5:37 PM, GoodBytes said:

Sooooo, you actually agree with me? Make your mind.. you agree or not?

Yes... A shit DAC and a shit amp. That is why professionals uses separate DAC/Amp setup over using the onboard crap provided by manufacture... solutions that are also not restricted in power and space as well.

lolol k macdave guetta 

REAL PROFESSIONALS !!!1 

is usually a term used before someone clueless is pitching in homeboy

"Because of a couple of things. One, it’s a bit of a cumbersome slot. You've got this thing sticking halfway out."

Well, ya know Schiller... There's kinda this:

ca7fcda8e367a3325721854a2e1f2d9c.jpg

But then there's also that:

apple_magic_mouse_2_charging_port_bottom

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 11/2/2016 at 7:37 PM, SSL said:

Let me restate: I'm not just pontificating that USB is inadequate. I'm explaining that it simply isn't used for pro applications.

Are you being misleading on purpose? Yes, AES is the interface used for a lot of audio work, but how many computers have AES connectors? Not many. The AES interfaces are located on external units such as an Apogee Symphony I/O chassi. And how do you connect your computer to those devices? With, for example, USB (or in the case of the Apogee Symphony you can also plug it into their special PCI card). 

Saying that USB isn't used and it's all AES is simply not true. 

What he actually means is

"We fully understand pro users do need an SD card slot but selling you an adapter is more important to us so we removed it"

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Are you being misleading on purpose? Yes, AES is the interface used for a lot of audio work, but how many computers have AES connectors? Not many. The AES interfaces are located on external units such as an Apogee Symphony I/O chassi. And how do you connect your computer to those devices? With, for example, USB (or in the case of the Apogee Symphony you can also plug it into their special PCI card). 

Saying that USB isn't used and it's all AES is simply not true. 

Ever heard of Lynx? There you go.

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

yes very floof cat :D 

I guess that you are talking about this http://www.lynxstudio.com/

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

16 minutes ago, SSL said:

Fair enough, but don't pretend like that is the only thing people use. Chassis like the one I mentioned are also used, and to connect them to a computer you can use a wide variety of connectors, including USB.

It's not a "one size fits all" type of deal like you want to make it seem.

Besides, not all professionals have studios for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A friend of mine was a obsessed apple fanboy, always saying that apple was the best,

now he hates apple and uses windows and he likes how windows computers have usb ports and sd card slots, unlike the macbook pro....

and when i mean this guy was obessed, i mean obsessed like people wanting half life 3 obsessed, he would only buy apple products, nothing else, he owns almost every apple product in existence!

if a fanboy like that hates what apple is doing, they might no-longer be with us... also F*ck apple.... (he said to say that here)

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

In the future Apple will sell you a $2,000 dongle to connect a computer up to. 

5 hours ago, Mooshi said:

In the future Apple will sell you a $2,000 dongle to connect a computer up to. 

I was going to joke they'll remove the ethernet port next...but apparently that's already a thing. 

They oughta make a game about it. Call it Dongle Kong.

I genuinely understand the whole "use thunderbolt for everything". It could possibly be a very hard, awkward step to a usb replacement...but for everything. but why would you choose this of all things to push when you change connectors every generation, when usb 3.1 type c is showing a lot more promise currently, and when you just released a phone that can't connect to it without a separate adapter?

2 minutes ago, lettuce head said:

I genuinely understand the whole "use thunderbolt for everything". It could possibly be a very hard, awkward step to a usb replacement...but for everything. but why would you choose this of all things to push when you change connectors every generation, when usb 3.1 type c is showing a lot more promise currently, and when you just released a phone that can't connect to it without a separate adapter?

Apple doesn't change connectors every generation. The new Macs use USB 3.1-C (TB3) ports -- they work as both and both use the same type-c connector. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

lol what a pathetic moron

studio amp?

what professionals will double amp the shit sound from the ShitBook?

well the idiots (their target audience) probably will.

Let's make it thinner and lighter so people can carry around (overpriced) accessories that should have been standard features in our Crapbook!

It's basically a cashgrab. You pay a ridiculous price for something that has the price/performance ratio of an elephant in a watch-maker's workshop, then you pay more money to buy accessories that give you the features you should've had in the first place.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

On 11/2/2016 at 11:33 AM, DatSpeed said:

It seems kind of weird to see the company that took out the headphone jack to defend why they kept it on another device

It seems "inconsistent" as The Independent stated

Apple has taken many risks lately though I'm not quite sure they're all worth taking 

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/apple-macbook-pro-new-philip-schiller-interview-phil-iphone-ios-criticism-a7393156.html

Walk into Apple buys laptop and iphone  Goes to plug iphone into laptop Wait Huh  it doesnt connect.

Takes Headphones that came with the iphone goes to plug them into the laptop Wait Huh it doesn't connect

Seems Dumb to me overall not crazy big deal but Apple everyone thinks as this awsome there stuff works perfect with there stuff then they pull this

Phil isn't wrong, most people don't use SD slots on their laptops(sry, I can't show my source). Most people use Micro SD anyways, which ironically requires an adapter for most laptops that have full size SD slots.