Wanting to get into the Link/Zelda games (Better late than never)

PackYourBaggins

Most people look at me sideways when I say I've never played a Zelda game. I wanna fix that. For a while, I've wanted to get into the Zelda games, but I've waited so long, now there's a like, what, 16 games of them? I wanna play them, but I'm not entirely sure I wanna play every single one. I haven't decided yet. If I decide I don't wanna play every last one that's released, what are some of the good ones that are 'must-plays'?

P.S. I've kinda gotten into my own head about not being able to call myself a "real fan" of something just because I haven't completed everything in that series, whether it be games or movies. But I figure at the very least, I should play some games in this series just so I can say that have!

if you really want to play newer nintendo games and other games from other companies (for the first time ever) you could get a nintendo switch

Play a link to the past first, it's my favourite, and it's honestly amazing. Great for beginners, amazing for vets. And if you don't have money right now, you could umm, find a website that will let you play the game (You didn't hear this from me lol).

I recommend playing them in order without using a walkthrough. It gives you an appreciation for gameplay back in the day.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Hmmm, that kind of hard considering each of Zeldas kind of bring their on style.

Think the most prominent ones that come to mind of the 3D Zeldas are Oceania of Time (first 3D Zelda), Majoria's Mask (Unique concept with time and masks), WindWaker (sailing and very nice dungeons).  Of course Twilight Princess is not bad either, but the dungeons kind of felt easy to do.

Now of the 2D Zeldas.  I only played like two or three.  I definitely say Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Time.  Down right amazing game to play, and the dungeons and bosses can be very challenging to beat.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Zelda games come in some pretty different styles. Some of the major ones are A Link to the Past (SNES), Ocarina of Time (N64), Wind Waker (Wii).

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

Zelda games come in some pretty different styles. Some of the major ones are A Link to the Past (SNES), Ocarina of Time (N64), Wind Waker (Wii).

Oracle of Seasons and Ages was a nice concept as well.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

11 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

if you really want to play newer nintendo games and other games from other companies (for the first time ever) you could get a nintendo switch

I don't understand what your point is here. The Switch isn't even out yet.

Just now, RelentlessN7 said:

I don't understand what your point is here. The Switch isn't even out yet.

i know, im just saying to not invest in a wii u or ds, wait for the switch

11 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Hmmm, that kind of hard considering each of Zeldas kind of bring their on style.

Think the most prominent ones that come to mind of the 3D Zeldas are Oceania of Time (first 3D Zelda), Majoria's Mask (Unique concept with time and masks), WindWaker (sailing and very nice dungeons).  Of course Twilight Princess is not bad either, but the dungeons kind of felt easy to do.

Now of the 2D Zeldas.  I only played like two or three.  I definitely say Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Time.  Down right amazing game to play, and the dungeons and bosses can be very challenging to beat.

Yeah, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Twighlight Princess and WindWaker seem to be recurring suggestions when I've asked elsewhere. Also kinda considering the first 2 games as well.

EDIT: Everyone has pretty much said that they're all good, but the most suggested have been those I listed above.

3 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

i know, im just saying to not invest in a wii u or ds, wait for the switch

I already have both a Wii-U and a 3DS. I figured it was kind of implied with the question. And I do plan on buying the Switch as well when it releases.

Then I definitely say try out Zelda:Oracle of Seasons/Time.  It is available through their store I believe for the 3DS.  That game is from the Game Boy Color Era, but those two have a lot of challenging bosses and dungeons.

Ocarina of Time and Majoria's Mask have been re released on the 3DS.  Only thing is finding them and of course their prices have not gone hardly down at all.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Then I definitely say try out Zelda:Oracle of Seasons/Time.  It is available through their store I believe for the 3DS.  That game is from the Game Boy Color Era, but those two have a lot of challenging bosses and dungeons.

Ocarina of Time and Majoria's Mask have been re released on the 3DS.  Only thing is finding them and of course their prices have not gone hardly down at all.

What do you mean finding them? If they're on the 3DS, wouldn't they just be on the eShop? 

1 minute ago, RelentlessN7 said:

What do you mean finding them? If they're on the 3DS, wouldn't they just be on the eShop? 

I believe so.  I hardly use the eShop so not sure.

Was talking more about their physical copies.

2 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

Definitely on the eShop. Don't expect them to download quickly though since they're about 500MB.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

I believe so.  I hardly use the eShop so not sure.

Was talking more about their physical copies.

Oh, I see. Yeah, I'd be fine with digital download. I don't have to have physical copies. There's just so many of these games, and they're all varying in length. Some are 10 hours to beat. Others are 40 hours. I have no doubt I'd enjoy these games, but I'm also not sure I wanna invest that much time into all of them. 

3 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

Oh, I see. Yeah, I'd be fine with digital download. I don't have to have physical copies. There's just so many of these games, and they're all varying in length. Some are 10 hours to beat. Others are 40 hours. I have no doubt I'd enjoy these games, but I'm also not sure I wanna invest that much time into all of them. 

It pays back? In character? And rupees? Possibly gives you a heart container for your hard work?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

It pays back? In character? And rupees? Possibly gives you a heart container for your hard work?

I'm not denying that, there's just so many other games and games series I'm trying to catch up on that I missed out on growing up, including the Link/Zelda games. Not only that, but there's a lot of other games coming out soon that I'm also gonna be spending a lot of time with. 

11 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

I'm not denying that, there's just so many other games and games series I'm trying to catch up on that I missed out on growing up, including the Link/Zelda games. Not only that, but there's a lot of other games coming out soon that I'm also gonna be spending a lot of time with. 

If you only have time to play through one, I'd suggest Wind Waker or Majora's Mask. These two are, in my opinion, the best experiences in the franchise.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

I'm in the same boat as you, OP.  My son has played and beaten all of the Zelda games, but until very recently, I haven't played any.  I borrowed his Spirit Tracks cart, and got tired of playing on my tiny DSi screen, so about three months ago I bought a nice used DSi XL. But I couldn't get into Spirit Tracks. The layout, traveling, puzzles... it all confused me.  So I abandoned that one and borrowed his Ocarina of Time 3D cart.  The 3D on his first-gen 3DS sucks ass (he has a New one now) so I even bought my own New 3DS.  I've played for several hours with the help of Game Grumps. But for some reason these games are hard for an idiot like me to figure out.  The puzzles are tricky and I repeatedly say to myself, "How would I have known that??" after I get some help from watching Game Grumps. And now, Ocarina is on hiatus, too, because I recently got caught up in Dying Light.  I need to get back to Ocarina. I want to like the series!  I feel like I'm trying hard. I just need to learn to think like a Zelda player. 

28 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

I'm in the same boat as you, OP.  My son has played and beaten all of the Zelda games, but until very recently, I haven't played any.  I borrowed his Spirit Tracks cart, and got tired of playing on my tiny DSi screen, so about three months ago I bought a nice used DSi XL. But I couldn't get into Spirit Tracks. The layout, traveling, puzzles... it all confused me.  So I abandoned that one and borrowed his Ocarina of Time 3D cart.  The 3D on his first-gen 3DS sucks ass (he has a New one now) so I even bought my own New 3DS.  I've played for several hours with the help of Game Grumps. But for some reason these games are hard for an idiot like me to figure out.  The puzzles are tricky and I repeatedly say to myself, "How would I have known that??" after I get some help from watching Game Grumps. And now, Ocarina is on hiatus, too, because I recently got caught up in Dying Light.  I need to get back to Ocarina. I want to like the series!  I feel like I'm trying hard. I just need to learn to think like a Zelda player. 

So Ocarina of Time has a lot of puzzles? I'm definitely not a fan of puzzle games. Puzzles are what killed Darksiders for me. Can anyone tell me if any other Zelda games are puzzle heavy?

50 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

So Ocarina of Time has a lot of puzzles? I'm definitely not a fan of puzzle games. Puzzles are what killed Darksiders for me. Can anyone tell me if any other Zelda games are puzzle heavy?

I wouldn't say it's puzzle heavy.  It's not a puzzle game.  But at the same time, figuring things out is surely a theme of all Zelda games. 

Watch some Let's Plays.  As I said before, Game Grumps has a series of videos for Ocarina. Watch it to get a sense of the game... and some laughs. 

6 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

I wouldn't say it's puzzle heavy.  It's not a puzzle game.  But at the same time, figuring things out is surely a theme of all Zelda games. 

Watch some Let's Plays.  As I said before, Game Grumps has a series of videos for Ocarina. Watch it to get a sense of the game... and some laughs. 

I see. I may do that. I think tomorrow I may purchase the original Legend of Zelda as it's only $5 on the 3DS eShop. After that, I'll play some more modern ones.

Just now, RelentlessN7 said:

I see. I may do that. I think tomorrow I may purchase the original Legend of Zelda as it's only $5 on the 3DS eShop. After that, I'll play some more modern ones.

I wouldn't start with the original. It doesn't give you hints on where to go or what to do. Go with A Link to the Past if you can.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler