[Rumour] New AMD Zen ES Base/Boost Clock Frequencies Leaked

HKZeroFive
3 minutes ago, 226477_1454181668 said:

Will people stop just stating things as fact, SHOW evidence. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

41 minutes ago, SamStrecker said:

Well I am 100% sure they improved some. 

I think you mistook "bulldozer level of disappointment" for "Bulldozer level of performance".

Point is: we are not going to get Broadwell-E or slightly worse 8-core performance at 4770K prices, from no brand. So, the only way for the 8-core to be $300-400 is to disappoint a lot by being very far from Broadwell.

We are more likely to see i7-ish quad cores at near i5 prices, because the price difference between mainstream i5s and i7s is hardly justified on costs. Decent Zen quad cores could be the end of the market niche for i5s a.k.a. "crippled i7s" :P 

1 hour ago, HKZeroFive said:

-snip-

Do you honestly think Intel has their extreme CPUs at such high prices because it costs extreme amounts to make them? No, it's because there's no competing product.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Called it! 4GHz 8-cores in a 95W TDP with Intel-like performance per clock was laughable from the word go.

To be fair though , even intel couldn't manage that . And anyone who was expecting an 8 core 4ghz chip with a 95W TDP had unrealistic expectations from the get-go

Just now, Citadelen said:

No, AMD will still have an inferior architecture, Intel has been in the lead for too long and plows much MUCH more money into R&D; AMD hasn't had a superior product since 2006. Zen looks to be around Broadwell/Haswell levels, which is still very commendable considering their R&D.

I actually don't think R&D is such a big issue. Intel has to spend most of it's R&D budget on maintaining and developing new process nodes , which AMD doesn't do ( those costs go instead to Globalfoundries ). 

They also have a lot more products  . Aside from cpu's they also spent a fuckton on developing 3D Xpoint , they design low power cores for the Atom ( which amd doesn't ) , they make MCA chips like the xeon phi lineup and have a foothold in IOT .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Not looking too good for Zen.

Early reports/leaks show Zen being around haswell/broadwell for single core performance, meaning it will be 2 - 3 gens behind Intel, and now it is looking like Zen will also be running at a slower clock speed.

It is looking like AMD will be once again relegated to low end systems with some crossover with Intel in the mid range while Intel remains dominant in the high and enthusiast range computers.

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

If only Apple made a 16 core scaled up A10 :D. Would Google then use Apple?

ARM is inferior to x86, an A10 with 8 times as many cores would still significantly underperform compared to intel's offerings.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

Not looking too good for Zen.

Early reports/leaks show Zen being around haswell/broadwell for single core performance, meaning it will be 2 - 3 gens behind Intel, and now it is looking like Zen will also be running at a slower clock speed.

It is looking like AMD will be once again relegated to low end systems with some crossover with Intel in the mid range while Intel remains dominant in the high and enthusiast range computers.

Was there really people thinking that Zen would out-perform Intel's top offerings? I thought their new product keeping them relevant and competitive in the mid-range market would be enough at release. Maybe improve upon that later to get closer to Intel's high end but still at lower performance and cost obviously.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

5 hours ago, imreloadin said:

At least AMD purists will finally be able to get off the god-awful Bulldozer platform...

God awful? Not really. If you don't have insanely high expectations, even my meh FX-4100 is pretty okay.

Antiquated? Definitely. It was never meant to be a consumer chip. Hell, it wasn't even good as a server chip, but it's not shite.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

they call it clusters/module.

Basically, all AMDs products are MODULAR, thus they can mix and match any of their IP into a single product. Thus 4 cores is a "cluster" or package or whatever.

They got GPU modules (contains 1 ACE, 64 shaders, X ROPs, X TMUs each), memory modules, IO modules and now, much like bulldozer, they are looking to expand this system so that the minimum package is 4 ZEN cores.

They were called clusters/modules because of the FX series which used CMT (Cluster-based Multithreading). Zen uses SMT (Simultaneous Multithreading) which uses actual cores and not modules meaning each core isn't sharing FPU and the other horrible designs of CMT.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

i beg your pardon? 800$? you know what a 6700k is right? 

Is the 6700k an 8-core?

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Was there really people thinking that Zen would out-perform Intel's top offerings? I thought their new product keeping them relevant and competitive in the mid-range market would be enough at release. Maybe improve upon that later to get closer to Intel's high end but still at lower performance and cost obviously.

I don't think anyone was expecting Zen to outperform Intel but I think people were looking at Zen to be reasonably close to Intel.

Even if Zen was a couple generations behind in single core performance vs Intel that wouldn't have been too big a deal as the difference wouldn't have been that big and would still look fairly attractive should Zen be a little cheaper than Intel's offerings.

To be a couple gens behind AND have slower clock speeds means AMD is going to have to price their CPUs very aggressively to get meaningful sales and that basically leaves them exactly where they have been sitting for several years now.

Should these rumors/leaks hold true then the only thing left to see is how well Zen overclocks (something only a fraction of people do) and I'm not going to hold my breath that Zen will turn out to be an overclocker's dream.

25 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

-snip-

It looks bad, being 2-3 gens behind, but then you have to understand that Intel typically sees 5% gains each generation, Kabylake is just a refresh as well.

The clock speeds, however, are concerning.

38 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

-snip-

R&D IS, a major concern, until this year it has been constantly decreasing while competition stiffens.

Just now, Citadelen said:

It looks bad, being 2-3 gens behind, but then you have to understand that Intel typically sees 5% gains each generation, Kabylake is just a refresh as well.

R&D IS, a major concern, until this year it has been constantly decreasing while competition stiffens.

R&D is a concern ,, but it's not that important considering that while intel DOES have more money and DOES spend more , most of it is going in areas OTHER than architecture development 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I mean on higher clocks the 4-core SKU steps into the 95W TDP envelope

Yet everybody is cool with the likes of the 6700K sitting at 91W TDP

BUT FOR AMD IT IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!1!!!11!!!!1111!

lol. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

10 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

-snip-

Hmm, I'm not convinced, you can bet if AMD had more money then Zen would turn out better.

4 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

I wasn't concerned about Zen being a couple generations behind as that really isn't that large a gap.

It is the combination of being a couple gens behind AND slower clock speeds.

I was hoping for Zen to be a reasonably competitive and slightly cheaper option to Intel but now...

I'm concerned Zen is going to be far enough behind Intel that AMD will have to very aggressively price Zen, making them less money and leaving them with no money for future R&D and thus putting them right back where they started.

3 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Hmm, I'm not convinced, you can bet if AMD had more money then Zen would turn out better.

AMD does have a lot of debt and they desperately need money , that is a fact , and it won't change for some time .  

We also need to remember that while plausible , this is still a rumor

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

-snip-

True, but they recently cut their debt in half...

3 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

-snip-

Zen won't be that far behind, it'll make AMD money, you can relatively safe in that assumption.

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Called it! 4GHz 8-cores in a 95W TDP with Intel-like performance per clock was laughable from the word go.

But bare mhz is meaningless, I mean most motorbikes rev upto more than most ferraris, doesn't make them faster. 

We need to know the Ipc numbers to get the real measure. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

But bare mhz is meaningless, I mean most motorbikes rev upto more than most ferraris, doesn't make them faster. 

We need to know the Ipc numbers to get the real measure. 

There are multiple rumors/leaks indicating IPC somewhere between ivy and broadwell. Of course they're just rumors, but that's still what I would expect at this point.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

i beg your pardon? 800$? you know what a 6700k is right? 

the 6700k is a quad core cpu with HT, so when you open task manager you see 8 cores, but you can also read.

Cores: 4

logical processors: 8

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Zen doesn't looks to replace or even touch intel on high end and enthusiast levels but for ghetto rigs it might be a viable 4 core gamer rig: I'd be interesting not to keep recomending nothing but intel chips at least for gamers. Hopefully they can price the 4 core below the 6700k so it can offer performance closer to the 6500 but with hyperthreading (or whatever AMD calls their fancier scheduler)

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Intel 8-Core even has a 140W TDP so at least we can consider overclocking the Zen CPU to match that TDP

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Even though it's ES it's odd that both 8-core and quad core chips are so very closely clocked. Also it may be that quad core part is yet to be a certain tier of quads, who knows, it's still early to tell. Just odd to me a bit about clock speeds, how much does it have to do with node they're build on.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |