[Rumour] New AMD Zen ES Base/Boost Clock Frequencies Leaked

HKZeroFive

Hi 

I really hope AMD have something "acceptable" this time . Intel haven't done something "huge" for a while because there wasn't any competition between AMD and Intel for 3~4 years . 

And CPU clock is not every thing . We should wait and hope that AMD made something good this time .

52 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Hi 

I really hope AMD have something "acceptable" this time . Intel haven't done something "huge" for a while because there wasn't any competition between AMD and Intel for 3~4 years . 

And CPU clock is not every thing . We should wait and hope that AMD made something good this time .

Clock speed isn't everything, but when there are multiple reports showing IPC between Ivy and Broadwell, it doesn't look great for AMD. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Zen doesn't looks to replace or even touch intel on high end and enthusiast levels but for ghetto rigs it might be a viable 4 core gamer rig: I'd be interesting not to keep recomending nothing but intel chips at least for gamers. Hopefully they can price the 4 core below the 6700k so it can offer performance closer to the 6500 but with hyperthreading (or whatever AMD calls their fancier scheduler)

SMT, which is bascially what IBM invented back in 1970s... yes HT is not a NEW concept at all.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Clock speed isn't everything, but when there are multiple reports showing IPC between Ivy and Broadwell, it doesn't look great for AMD. 

Hi ; I know that but the only thing that i can do is hopping ;-) . CPUs were boring in last 3~4 years . We didn't see huge innovations in CPU market because there is no reason for INTEL to spend more on R&D . Why ? Because there is no competition .

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

AMD released a benchmark a few months ago showing IPC similar to that of Broadwell-E.

Despite that, its no where near as efficient as Haswell or Broadwell if AMD's TDP values are correct, and it can't reach any where near the same clock speeds. Meaning that Zen CPU will be launched far behind the Intel equivalents again (although not behind their previous architectures luckily-Bulldozer was a massive dose of "WTF is this shit")

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Despite that, its no where near as efficient as Haswell or Broadwell if AMD's TDP values are correct, and it can't reach any where near the same clock speeds. Meaning that Zen CPU will be launched far behind the Intel equivalents again (although not behind their previous architectures luckily-Bulldozer was a massive dose of "WTF is this shit")

Perhaps, but it's premature to assume how well they'll overclock. It looks to be a bit behind or matching haswell at best but for all we know they could overclock better (and more importantly on more SKUs) than intel getting a slight edge.

-------

Current Rig

-------

36 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Hi ; I know that but the only thing that i can do is hopping ;-) . CPUs were boring in last 3~4 years . We didn't see huge innovations in CPU market because there is no reason for INTEL to spend more on R&D . Why ? Because there is no competition .

I'd love it if Zen offered serious competition, but realistically it doesn't seem to be the case. And big hopes just leads to a big let down. 

14 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Yeah, things aren't looking too good for AMD right now (at least not in the general case)....The FX CPUs weren't bad under specific conditions (certain work loads/price points) until relatively recently, so if the pricing is right it's looking like that will be the case again with Zen. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I don't think anyone was expecting AMD to come out of nowhere with CPUs capable of competing against Intel's current lineup. Just being able to compete with Haswell is great to keep AMD relevant for couple more years. There are plenty of people around rocking i5 2500k and i7 2600k CPUs and going strong with no immediate plans to upgrade, so Zen should be enough to keep AMD afloat until their next round of releases.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And big hopes just leads to a big let down. 

Yeh . 
You are right . Two things are important in Zen success :

1st :Performance per dollar 

2nd :Intel 7th generations pricing 

AMD really needs money to spend it on R&D , maybe they should ask for some help (from IBM)xD 

I cant believe that this is the AMD that made first 64bit , first dual core , first 1GHZ ...  . 

2 minutes ago, Weird Face said:

I don't think anyone was expecting AMD to come out of nowhere with CPUs capable of competing against Intel's current lineup. Just being able to compete with Haswell is great to keep AMD relevant for couple more years. There are plenty of people around rocking i5 2500k and i7 2600k CPUs and going strong with no immediate plans to upgrade, so Zen should be enough to keep AMD afloat until their next round of releases.

They really aren't competing when they can't seem to get Zen to the same clock speeds or efficiency as an architecture from 2013.

PMSL

27 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

you need to factor in that AMD has both the SB and NB intergrated into the ZEN DIE. Thus you have to add in the TDP of those modules too.

Just now, Prysin said:

you need to factor in that AMD has both the SB and NB intergrated into the ZEN DIE. Thus you have to add in the TDP of those modules too.

Haswell has the FIVR+NB integrated into the die, and the FIVR produces far more heat than the soutbridge on/in any chipset ever will.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Haswell has the FIVR+NB integrated into the die, and the FIVR produces far more heat than the soutbridge on/in any chipset ever will.

sure, but that being said, these TDP values are for the final product, which we have NO clock speeds for. All we got is these "stage one" engineering samples. It wouldnt surprise me if they end up around 3.5Ghz base/full core turbo on average with most of their SKUs once they hit release.

Just now, Prysin said:

sure, but that being said, these TDP values are for the final product, which we have NO clock speeds for. All we got is these "stage one" engineering samples. It wouldnt surprise me if they end up around 3.5Ghz base/full core turbo on average with most of their SKUs once they hit release.

They'd bloody better hit similar clock speeds to Haswell-because if not I'll be just telling my friend to replace the i5 4440 I gave him with a 4790K (which can overclock very well on the H87M Pro-4.8GHz with a golden chip).

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

They'd bloody better hit similar clock speeds to Haswell-because if not I'll be just telling my friend to replace the i5 4440 I gave him with a 4790K (which can overclock very well on the H87M Pro-4.8GHz with a golden chip).

Aslong as its DC it will always OC well. Unlike OG haswell, as certain 4770k owner i know will delusionally try to deny having any issues at all,

Also.... imagine if they hit 9590 speeds xD with final product. Just trolling everyone with super super low clock samples

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

Aslong as its DC it will always OC well. Unlike OG haswell, as certain 4770k owner i know will delusionally try to deny having any issues at all,

Also.... imagine if they hit 9590 speeds xD with final product. Just trolling everyone with super super low clock samples

I think pre-refresh Haswell has a combination of poor TIM+ bubbles in it, because my i5 4440 always idles at ambient, while my 4790K undervolted+underclocked to the same speed+HT disabled can't.

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Just trolling everyone with super super low clock samples

Alas that doesn't sound like a good way to please investors. So I wouldn't put too much faith in that :S 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Alas that doesn't sound like a good way to please investors. So I wouldn't put too much faith in that :S 

aslong as the product delivers, they are happy. Aslong as the stocks skyrocket, everyone is happy. Such a troll could happen. Likelihood is like 0.00000001% chance. but meh. Would be hillarious if they did.

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Intel 8-Core even has a 140W TDP so at least we can consider overclocking the Zen CPU to match that TDP

If the chips can even overclock stably, as I would think amd would try to clock them as high as they could out of the box (while keeping a reasonable tdp of course) to look better to consumers

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

If the chips can even overclock stably, as I would think amd would try to clock them as high as they could out of the box (while keeping a reasonable tdp of course) to look better to consumers

Well, I have yet to see a CPU that doesn't scale with voltage. GCN might not OC great but that's a very different uarch

I do think AMD wants to look good in the performance per watt department by releasing more efficient chips that can be tweaked. That is if this leak is right at all.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

11 minutes ago, Prysin said:

aslong as the product delivers, they are happy. Aslong as the stocks skyrocket, everyone is happy. Such a troll could happen. Likelihood is like 0.00000001% chance. but meh. Would be hillarious if they did.

Yes, but seeing bad performance leaks doesn't help stock prices (which isn't a good thing).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Jorgen297 said:

well we all know an intel skylake 3GHz core will beat out an AMD FX 5GHz core, even without hyperthreading, so core clock doesnt matter much. maybe now it's AMD's time to have the best architecture regardless of clock speed

nah its worse then Skylake clock for clock and this has been showed

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Sticking to my prediction from years back. Haswell performance for single thread, Ivy performance for multithread :P

6 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

To be fair though , even intel couldn't manage that . And anyone who was expecting an 8 core 4ghz chip with a 95W TDP had unrealistic expectations from the get-go

I actually don't think R&D is such a big issue. Intel has to spend most of it's R&D budget on maintaining and developing new process nodes , which AMD doesn't do ( those costs go instead to Globalfoundries ). 

They also have a lot more products  . Aside from cpu's they also spent a fuckton on developing 3D Xpoint , they design low power cores for the Atom ( which amd doesn't ) , they make MCA chips like the xeon phi lineup and have a foothold in IOT .

AMD does Jaguar and Puma for low power. There was also early work on K12 which has been shelved for now.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd