[UPDATE 3 - Samsung stops manufacturing the phone] AT&T and T-Mobile cease sales of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7

GoodBytes
1 minute ago, Daring said:

This is easily the worst launch of any flagship-class phone since eons ago. Not even half a year old yet and sales are ending due to the phone being a fire hazard.

now i'm just hoping the galaxy s8 can make people forget about this error and hope samsung can make good phones again.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

now i'm just hoping the galaxy s8 can make people forget about this error and hope samsung can make good phones again.

Right. Samsung sure knows how to make a beautiful phone, but this disaster of a phone is eroding consumers' trust in them to make good, safe phones.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Right. Samsung sure knows how to make a beautiful phone, but this disaster of a phone is eroding consumers' trust in them to make good, safe phones.

i mean, after the first recall, when the note 7 first started getting reports of exploding batteries, over 90 percent still stuck with samsung. that was actually like very good, considering they would have to recall every single one note 7. but now i think it's diminished quite a bit. i'd be surprised if it was still over 70 percent or so for sure. but samsung's galaxy s8 better blow the note 7 out of the water so people wouldn't have to remember this crisis.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i mean, after the first recall, when the note 7 first started getting reports of exploding batteries, over 90 percent still stuck with samsung. that was actually like very good, considering they would have to recall every single one note 7. but now i think it's diminished quite a bit. i'd be surprised if it was still over 70 percent or so for sure. but samsung's galaxy s8 better blow the note 7 out of the water so people wouldn't have to remember this crisis.

I've been seeing a lot of people saying they're going to exchange their Note 7s for iPhones or other Android phones from other manufacturers, following the second wave of Note 7s exploding. Airline flight attendants calling the phone the "Samsung 7" isn't helping either, because there are a lot of Samsung phones with "7" in their name.

3 minutes ago, Daring said:

I've been seeing a lot of people saying they're going to exchange their Note 7s for iPhones or other Android phones from other manufacturers, following the second wave of Note 7s exploding. Airline flight attendants calling the phone the "Samsung 7" isn't helping either, because there are a lot of Samsung phones with "7" in their name.

well it sucks for samsung that people are trading samsungs for iphones, and it does anger me because for the price of an iphone, you can get something android that's a better value, like the new pixel phones.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

well it sucks for samsung that people are trading samsungs for iphones, and it does anger me because for the price of an iphone, you can get something android that's a better value, like the new pixel phones.

Yeah, that's true. Although, the Pixel phones are only on one carrier and most Americans don't buy their phones unlocked, while the iPhone 7 is on all carriers. Also, the iPhone has more market exposure.

9 minutes ago, Daring said:

I've been seeing a lot of people saying they're going to exchange their Note 7s for iPhones

As much as this pains me to admit, I've thought about it since reading up on this latest bit with AT&T offering exchanges AGAIN.  I'm on my second Note 7 and I don't have any concerns of fires, but I am concerned that resale value down the road will be shit.  With that said, I might as well get something that will have some value when and if the next Samsung Note releases.

I have the replacement Note 7 that Tmobile issued me. It took over three hours waiting time in the store for the incompetent rep to screw up and not properly activate my new Note 7, then she fouled up the bill. Now I learn that even this replacement might not be safe. I'm royally miffed at the way both Tmobile and Samsung has handled this whole affair. It takes countless hours to switch from one phone to another and start restoring settings and getting everything configured. I'm exhausted from dealing with this mess. The sad thing is, I like the Note 7. It is a great phone features wise. It just really annoys me that they didn't make a removable battery in this heap of glass. The whole problem could have been resolved much, much easier!

45 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I have the replacement Note 7 that Tmobile issued me. It took over three hours waiting time in the store for the incompetent rep to screw up and not properly activate my new Note 7, then she fouled up the bill. Now I learn that even this replacement might not be safe. I'm royally miffed at the way both Tmobile and Samsung has handled this whole affair. It takes countless hours to switch from one phone to another and start restoring settings and getting everything configured. I'm exhausted from dealing with this mess. The sad thing is, I like the Note 7. It is a great phone features wise. It just really annoys me that they didn't make a removable battery in this heap of glass. The whole problem could have been resolved much, much easier!

Non-removable batteries aren't that bad... if they're designed properly.  Bloomberg's sources said a while back that Samsung tried to push too far on the Note 7 design by including a larger battery than was safe.  Basically, it pushed too hard.

11 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Looks like most US carriers are going to force Samsung's hand into take both the original and replacement phones back.  Man this is really turning into a mess for them.  I hate to see it.

17 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Why , I understand the first time and they were reacting correctly with the total recall, but after this and the "fixed" units not being any different it seems they are completely rushing it. Its nobody's fault but their own at this point. Should not be feeling sorry for the guy who sets himself on fire cause it was cold for one day.

Thanks for the guidance on what my stance should be.

I think I'll swing by AT&T tomorrow just to see what I like.  I can't say that I'll go as far as switching to the iPhone until Samsung gets this sorted out, but the thought has crossed my mind.

On 10/8/2016 at 7:50 AM, dlink377 said:

I don't think there are any problem with another Samsung hardware, such the Note 7 has the pyro problem.

Samsung SSD is practically the best out there, I don't see anything wrong with it, especially on a high end M2 NVME SSD.

Lol, no.  I had an 840 Evo die out of the blue on me, and  there was also the whole firmware debacle with them where it took something like 3 firmware releases to fix performance degradation.  Sound familiar?  Needing several iterations to fix a problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place?

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Thanks for the guidance on what my stance should be.

I think I'll swing by AT&T tomorrow just to see what I like.  I can't say that I'll go as far as switching to the iPhone until Samsung gets this sorted out, but the thought has crossed my mind.

There isn't exactly much compelling on the Android side nowadays, unless you need something IOS cannot offer such as emulators. 

I do wonder what will come afterward. Will Samsung still reign at the top of Android OEM's, or is this the unfortunate critical hit that will see them to struggle for relevance? In that latter case, who will be the OEM to succeed Samsung at the top, or will Apple take the advantage and bring down Android? 

Almost feels like I'm watching the Saturday cartoons again. 

To be continued... 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

17 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

There isn't exactly much compelling on the Android side nowadays, unless you need something IOS cannot offer such as emulators. 

I do wonder what will come afterward. Will Samsung still reign at the top of Android OEM's, or is this the unfortunate critical hit that will see them to struggle for relevance? In that latter case, who will be the OEM to succeed Samsung at the top, or will Apple take the advantage and bring down Android? 

Almost feels like I'm watching the Saturday cartoons again. 

To be continued... 

I'm just not a fan of the size of the iPhone 7 Plus especially when you consider that it's noticeably bigger than the Note 7, but has a slightly smaller, less detailed screen.  I started using Samsung Pay quite a bit as well.  I'm sure that I'll be fine without the SPen and that everything else with an iPhone is great.  We'll see what happens when I check it out.

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I'm just not a fan of the size of the iPhone 7 Plus especially when you consider that it's noticeably bigger than the Note 7, but has a slightly smaller, less detailed screen.  I started using Samsung Pay quite a bit as well.  I'm sure that I'll be fine without the SPen and that everything else with an iPhone is great.  We'll see what happens when I check it out.

Well, odds are you will come across some crazy clown before having the phone spontaneously combust (in which case, a flammable phone may actually be helpful). 

Are you particularly invested in either ecosystem? 

As for the comment above, could always buy an rc Li-Po bag too. However, in the event the phone does explode due to its hard exterior, the Li-Po bad may not be able to contain it. Still, only $20 Perhaps one of those ammo boxes then from army surplus? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, odds are you will come across some crazy clown before having the phone spontaneously combust (in which case, a flammable phone may actually be helpful). 

Are you particularly invested in either ecosystem? 

As for the comment above, could always buy an rc Li-Po bag too. However, in the event the phone does explode due to its hard exterior, the Li-Po bad may not be able to contain it. Perhaps one of those ammo boxes then from army surplus? 

Bud, if I have time to put a phone in a bag, I have time to toss it out the window as if I'm throwing the final pass of the season.  I have very little concern about the phone combusting.  I'm more concerned with how little it will be worth when it's time to replace.

As far as "ecosystem," I've used Android phones exclusively for many many years, but I can't call that "invested."  

I'm sure that iOS would be a bit of an adjustment, but I have to get past the physical stuff before I can even get to that point.  We'll see tomorrow.

52 minutes ago, karn_evil said:

this shouldn't have happened to samsung. if they had taken the time and had much stricter quality control to make sure their batteries didn't catch fire, then the note 7 would have been a great sell like it's galaxy s7 brother. but nope. samsung had rushed the release and had it recalled and now it had to pull from production because of this giant battery issue. poor samsung. i mean i like how they handled the battery crisis the first time, but when a safe model caught fire on a plane, i just lost respect for them. i mean i love their products, but their quality control seems like it sucks balls to the wall.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 hours ago, Commodus said:

Non-removable batteries aren't that bad... if they're designed properly.  Bloomberg's sources said a while back that Samsung tried to push too far on the Note 7 design by including a larger battery than was safe.  Basically, it pushed too hard.

But all Lithium Ion batteries eventually wear down and need to be replaced. I don't like not having that unreplaceable factor hanging over my head. Wish phone vendors including Samsung would go back to the option to replace (especially in times like with this whole Note 7 fire madness).

15 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

But all Lithium Ion batteries eventually wear down and need to be replaced. I don't like not having that unreplaceable factor hanging over my head. Wish phone vendors including Samsung would go back to the option to replace (especially in times like with this whole Note 7 fire madness).

I suppose I'm coming at this from the point of view of an iPhone user, where I can just go into an Apple Store and get it replaced.  It's a different story when you have to either hope your carrier will help or mail the phone in to the OEM.