Windows signature edition blocking installation of Linux

syntaxjedi

According to Phoronix.com Microsoft has been locking down newer computers with its signature edition of Windows.  According to the article:

Ryan Farmer wrote in explaining that his Yoga 900 ISK2 UltraBook hasn't been able to see Linux installed over a proprietary RAID mode that's locked by the UEFI/BIOS of this ultrabook.

The issue was first reported in this thread on Reddit via /u/BaronHK.  This is not very good for a few reasons, most notably for locking people out of the hardware that they now own.  If they keep doing this it could turn people away from Linux due to how hard it'll be to install it.  By locking down their partners computers they're taking a step in Apple's direction and getting closer to an 'our computer vs their computer' situation where the computer you buy is the computer it's gonna be until you buy a new one.

Sounds like something windows will do, watch the backlash then backtrack. They did they same with the Xbox One. Personally, I would use Linux full time and seeing as I am spending less and less time gaming on it I might do it again.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I would be running Linux at work full time if I didn't have to use stupid Access so much.  

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

4 minutes ago, ITheSpazI said:

I would be running Linux at work full time if I didn't have to use stupid Access so much.  

Can't use an open-source version such as open office? I might move back to Linux don't know if my other half will like me to change it again xD

embrace, extend, extinguish 

Screen-Shot-2014-10-20-at-1.17.53-PM.png

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

17 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Can't use an open-source version such as open office? I might move back to Linux don't know if my other half will like me to change it again xD

Sadly in most professional contexts the alternatives to Office simply aren't really good. I've tried switching to open source several times but that suite is just too good.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

microsoft feels the threat of linux, if it wasn't for office and game compatibility I probably would have switched.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Just now, Centurius said:

Sadly in most professional contexts the alternatives to Office simply aren't really good. I've tried switching to open source several times but that suite is just too good.

Have you tried getting it to execute under wine? 

Lol this is never going to happen in the EU.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Vode said:

Lol this is never going to happen in the EU.

right.

EU Commission, Assemble!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm more inclined to believe this is Lenovo's fault than Microsoft's. We've had boot issues with newer Lenovo desktops at work and their support is absolute trash with no level 2 support. All they do is ask the standard simple questions that usually have nothing to do with the problem like "did you press the power button?"

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

9 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I'm more inclined to believe this is Lenovo's fault than Microsoft's. We've had boot issues with newer Lenovo desktops at work and their support is absolute trash with no level 2 support. All they do is ask the standard simple questions that usually have nothing to do with the problem like "did you press the power button?"

when the OP put their review online, outlining all the issues they had, one of the employees replied stating it was locked "per our agreement with Microsoft."  So I'm sure it's on both their heads, but mostly Microsoft pushed it.

http://imgur.com/a/niewu

What is this signature edition? Is this your typical home and pro or something else like those single language editions and those free ones with Bing?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

What is this signature edition? Is this your typical home and pro or something else like those single language editions and those free ones with Bing?

Basically Windows without bloatware.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

Have you tried getting it to execute under wine? 

Microsoft would destroy wine compatability on purpose if they havent already

20 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Basically Windows without bloatware.

So those who buys a signature edition are too lazy to just do a clean install or remove whatever bloat or trial ware it comes with? They could have just grab the standard Home or Pro and it won't have this problem.

The signature is also faster than the standard, imo probably some tweaks.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

When you can't keep up your profits by pushing as many units as you used to, you have to squeeze the customers you have harder.

45 minutes ago, tlink said:

Microsoft would destroy wine compatability on purpose if they havent already

older versions of office work under wine.

This is some seriously old news: we know vendors and Microsoft could do this since UEFI was first implemented.

It is interesting that someone its openly doing it but actually they're not even the first ones to do so AFAIK.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

right.

EU Commission, Assemble!

I am sorry, the comission you are currently trying to reach is not available at this time. They're too busy dealing with immigration issues and Brexit, please call back later.

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

This is a Lenovo thing. There is no other computer being sold at the MS Store that doesn't allow the installation of alternative OSes; you can install Linux on the Surface Pro 4, Microsoft's flagship computer, ffs. Apparently it's related to the custom NVMe drive in the Yoga 900, which no OS natively supports and requires a custom driver to be used, even on Windows.

But let's direct our anger at Microsoft because this is clearly their fault and it can't be the fault of Lenovo at all, even though it's pretty well-known that Lenovo is no stranger to this kind of fuckery on their consumer models.

I am left speechless at the sheer size of logical holes made in the article, OP, and posts in this thread. There are so many variables involved in the measly one case, and yet you decide to attack the big guy Microsoft. I am so proud of the intelligence of the tech enthusiasts! The 'Sheeple' and 'average idiot' belittlement certainly do not point back at them!

...Just disgusting!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Can this be solved by disabling Secure Boot in a system BIOS?

23 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

I am left speechless at the sheer size of logical holes made in the article, OP, and posts in this thread. There are so many variables involved in the measly one case, and yet you decide to attack the big guy Microsoft. I am so proud of the intelligence of the tech enthusiasts! The 'Sheeple' and 'average idiot' belittlement certainly do not point back at them!

...Just disgusting!

Settle down. It's a report of an allegation.

And if that disgusts you, then just wait until you find out what Microsoft's conduct regarding Windows 10 has been like: forced installation, forced updates, forced bloatware, forced telemetry and data-collection, forced file associations... it's not as if this news allegation wouldn't be par for the course with Microsoft.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Settle down. It's a report of an allegation, and it's not as if this wouldn't be par for the course with Microsoft.

And if that disgusts you, then just wait until you see what Microsoft's conduct regarding Windows 10 has been like.

Oh no! My internet broke! Therefore I blame IBM and Cisco!

When the sample size is so small (one), and there are so many contributing and more suspect factors, that is not an allegation at all. That is called a hyperbole, and it is a half-witted one at that. As for Windows 10, we would get a much more clear picture of what has been happening (and much sooner too) if certain people were not shouting and screaming blatant misinformation from half-truths... oh wait!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

11 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Can this be solved by disabling Secure Boot in a system BIOS?

It's more up to someone making a driver for the NVMe drive in the Yoga 900 than it is Secure Boot. The drive is special, so it needs a driver to work with OSes.

Lenovo is no stranger to pulling things like this in their consumer models. This isn't the first time, and it won't be the last.