Windows signature edition blocking installation of Linux

syntaxjedi
2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Hence I also said:

At most I could conceive that this is somehow escaped both their notice and Microsoft's but if it's out in the news that's very unlikely. Microsoft's silence on the matter speaks very loud about things they might not even be able to disclose under NDA or to avoid disclosuing business information to other manufacturers that might hinder their ability to negotiate favorable deals in the future.

So bottom line: I really dislike when people absolutely dismiss all speculation. In some cases, as when there's verifiable precedence on similar cases, it's not unreasonable to consider speculation and conjecture.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-linux-isn-t-blocked-on-windows-10-pcs-508528.shtml?utm_content=bufferb8801&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Without the existence of a GNU/Linux driver, there is zero possibility of a Linux installation being able to boot. Intel would be the company required to make the driver.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-linux-isn-t-blocked-on-windows-10-pcs-508528.shtml?utm_content=bufferb8801&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Without the existence of a GNU/Linux driver, there is zero possibility of a Linux installation being able to boot. Intel would be the company required to make the driver.

Actually intel does not dictate all of the options available at a BIOS level for it to make it possible. That's ultimately up to Lenovo, who is claiming they might not do so due to an agreement with MS. MS has made similar agreements in the past and also implemented said features on their own hardware.

It's up to all readers to decide if this is a ridiculous proposition outside of the realm of possibility or not.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually intel does not dictate all of the options available at a BIOS level for it to make it possible. That's ultimately up to Lenovo, who is claiming they might not do so due to an agreement with MS. MS has made said agreements and also implemented said features on their own hardware.

It's up to all readers to decide if this is a ridiculous proposition outside of the realm of possibility or not.

Except that the hardware in question is made by Intel.

There also exists the possibility that Apple secretly paid Lenovo to make the claim to smear MS. See, I can speculate wildly as well.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

3 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Except that the hardware in question is made by Intel

Intel made the motherboards? Coded the UEFI/BIOS for them? Made all revisions to the motherboard AND UEFI for their specific models? I'd be an industry's first for intel to basically be Lenovo's bitch but yeah, could be.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Intel made the motherboards? Coded the UEFI/BIOS for them? Made all revisions to the motherboard AND UEFI for their specific models? I'd be an industry's first to intel to basically be Lenovo's bitch but yeah, could be.

Good to know that AMD and Nvidia aren't responsible for drivers as well even though they made the hardware. The OEM is responsible for proper implementation of its hardware.

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Except that the hardware in question is made by Intel.

This is not a hardware problem. It's purely software.

The problem is that Lenovo for some reason decided to lock the BIOS into RAID-mode only. If it was possible to change to AHCI then GNU/Linux would work just fine.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The problem is that Lenovo for some reason decided to lock the BIOS into RAID-mode only. If it was possible to change to AHCI then GNU/Linux would work just fine.

And how exactly does that relate to MS?

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Good to know that AMD and Nvidia aren't responsible for drivers as well even though they made the hardware.

They are, but they made a single device at issue: the raid controller. Lenovo decided not only to include said device but to include it as the only option when we know people manufacturing motherboards can easily include several types of controllers and such to make this generally a non-issue for many yet a major point of contention for this laptops.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

And how exactly does that relate to MS?

According to a person working for Lenovo, Microsoft told them to do it.

Microsoft's response kind of danced around that and did not deny it.

43 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You're correct in that allowing AHCI mode would bypass the problem. However there is some precedence for the reasons why they might disable that mode. The article was clear about that: Lenovo could simply have disabled AHCI mode to ensure a good user experience.

Their point was that with the existing install, if you change from RAID to AHCI mode, you'll literally bork Windows, and it won't boot. You can of course, just switch back, but many users are just smart enough to be able to Google something like "Go into BIOS and change RAID to AHCI", but they won't know enough to know the risks or to know how to fix any issues.

Now, ignorance is not an excuse, but it's a valid reason why Lenovo would want to limit how a user screws things up.

Ideally, Intel would just release a RAID driver, and then Lenovo can keep AHCI mode locked. However, given the circumstances, I would like Lenovo to provide a BIOS update that unlocks AHCI mode.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

And the Linux community needs to grow a pair and get their loaders and installers  working in RAID mode. If that means Intel and Lenovo need to provide some more documentation, then they should.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

So the fact that the Lenovo rep opened himself to Libel is no evidence at all? This is not some random guy stating nonsense on an opinion piece this is a company rep. Lenovo's own legal department would have amended or retracted said statement by now.

Don't give the "rep" too much credit. Lenovo's "product experts" are nothing more than third-party contractors that write replies from a spreadsheet. They have no clue about the legal agreements between two companies. 

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x