Smartphones beyond 1080p.

Timmyfox

So, it seems the chinese company "Vivo" is seemingly about to launch a 5,5" smartphone with a 2560x1440 resolution. Yes, 1440p.

Honestly I think this is unnecessarily high and I bet battery life will suffer as well (as it always has whenever screen resolution increases on phone).

Now rather.. where's the affordable 24" monitors with these high resolutions?! I wonder what will come first: phones with 4K screens or 24" monitors somewhere between 2K and 4K.

Source: http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/10/16/vivo-teases-xplay3s-worlds-first-2k-2560x1440px-display-smartphone/

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

There was some chinese company that made a watercooled smartphone also.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

1440p on a phone.. Holy god why... Still running a Nokia Lumia 800 with a screen resolution of 480p and it's just fine...

I can't even explain how stupid I find this idea to be... Some 27" monitors are not even 1440 and yet they wan't to do this on a 5.5" PHONE...

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

I hate this, make 2560 x 1440 24" and 4k monitors instead.

I'm honestly wondering if we'll get 4K on phones before this happens..

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

I think it's the same with displays as with cameras. Stop increasing the number of pixels and rather improve the pixels' quality. There are other aspects to consider when you look at a screen (pun) than just sheer pixel density.

who cares...

I'm honestly wondering if we'll get 4K on phones before this happens..

When 4k prices starts to get reasonable 6000> sek or 800$>

1440p on a phone.. Holy god why... Still running a Nokia Lumia 800 with a screen resolution of 480p and it's just fine...

I can't even explain how stupid I find this idea to be... Some 27" monitors are not even 1440 and yet they wan't to do this on a 5.5" PHONE...

I got my Lunia 800 as well xD But yeah Monitors FIRST then Phones D:

There was some chinese company that made a watercooled smartphone also.

Oh yeah I remember that post! I thought it looked like such a gimmick BUT still awesome D:

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I think it's the same with displays as with cameras. Stop increasing the number of pixels and rather improve the pixels' quality. There are other aspects to consider when you look at a screen (pun) than just sheer pixel density.

:D agreed

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

On a screen that small, I can't see any difference between 720p and 1080p. Anything higher seems rediculous and pointless. All it wil do is drain the battery faster.

Im quite happy with my 1080p screen and in the pixel density of 480ppi (pixels per inch) on a 5 inch device you need to have super vison to see them. 

And not only battery time is gonna get worse, the performance will dramaticly fall (we are gonna need a mobile equivalent of a 780 to run games on these things)

even though i ranted a lot id like to see that kind of resolution in person, it may very well be suprising and good :D

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't noticed the difference in the screen res of smartphones since they made the jump to 720p.  720p vs. 1080p to me looks the same on a 5-5.5" device.  What I can tell is when the display is a standard LCD or a super AMOLED display.  The difference here is night and day.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

AHAHAHAHAHA...even 1080p for a phone is overkill. Shoot, 720p seems kinda pushing it for a display that tiny. 

I remember the days when people used a phone for calling other people and not using them as pseudo computers.

AHAHAHAHAHA...even 1080p for a phone is overkill. Shoot, 720p seems kinda pushing it for a display that tiny. 

I remember the days when people used a phone for calling other people and not using them as pseudo computers.

I agree. Resolution isn't an automatic measure of quality. The screen on my Galaxy S4 is terrible compared to the HTC One, and they're the same resolution and extremely close pixel density.

Spoiler

I agree. Resolution isn't an automatic measure of quality. The screen on my Galaxy S4 is terrible compared to the HTC One, and they're the same resolution and extremely close pixel density.

For a mobile device like a phone, I would rather they improve other aspects such as the backlighting and the panel being used so it's easy to read in the daylight ect. Not this monster resolution that even few PC enthusiasts use.

To be fair, the S4 has a .3" larger screen -and- uses that horrible pentile matrix as compared to the One which uses a full RGB matrix. But indeed, both are marketed as 1080p (although the effective amount of pixels on the S4 is significantly less). The S4 also uses diamond-shaped pixels rather than regular square ones for some reason. Good for diagonals I suppose...

Im pretty sure most people could care less about a resolution on a phone that ratio. I can conceivably see this for phablets, thats about all.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having resolution beyond 1080p is useless imo as it wastes more battery life. Would want them to improve on the screen quality rather than resolution like @ said.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Totally useless in almost every way. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

While this may seem eexcessive for a smartphone, we need higher pixel density displays for VR devices like the oculus rift. I've read an article, which stated that if we were to have perfect VR, meaning that someone with perfect vision can't tell the difference between the real and the virtual world, we would need over 100k per eye. yes, one-hundred-k.

The display in the COulus rift will be around 5", so lets say we'd make a display with a res of 200k x 100k(remember: 100k PER EYE) with a 5" diagonal, we are at a pixel density of:

44721.36 PPI.

Every pixel would only be 0.0006mm².

a 5.5" 1440p display has 538.04 ppi, each pixel is 0.0476mm² big.

Just some numbers you guys might find interesting ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

so they can cram more into a phone but not a bloody monitor? ..... :(

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Don't you guys remember what linus said it's not the resolution it's the usability of the phone. How will I know the phone is laggy as hell or the phone is buttery smooth

This is the same kinda resolution that we see in 10 inch tablets like the Nexus 10 and iPad retina. Ok it's not exactly but it's close. I know you use tablets further away than phones but I'm struggling to notice pixels on my iPad even really close up, and when I do notice them it doesn't bother me because they are just too small to take any notice of. I think that this is now just becoming a massive spec war and at the end the person who loses out is the consumer because it may have a nice screen, but it's battery would be affected along with performance.