1080p or 1440p?

kodokuj
Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,

Absolutely jump to 1440p. You won't be able to go back - it's 77% more pixels but the UI is still "large" enough to keep everything at 100% scaling.

Genuinely envy people who are capable of being productive on a 1080p screen. I bought my first 1440p screen back in 2015 when it was still minimum like $700 for a reputable brand and not a B-grade monitor from a Chinese OEM.

All I do is game, video edit 1080p60 videos, and draw in Photoshop. I currently have a GTX 970, an old Dell 1080p that's very color inaccurate, and plan to get a 4070 later this year. Should I get 1080p or is 1440p worth the jump up?

6 minutes ago, kodokuj said:

All I do is game, video edit 1080p60 videos, and draw in Photoshop. I currently have a GTX 970, an old Dell 1080p that's very color inaccurate, and plan to get a 4070 later this year. Should I get 1080p or is 1440p worth the jump up?

For non competitive game 1440p is nice, it gives you more screen real estate in video editing & photoshop too.

I used 1080 for games and photoshop for years, now that I use 1440.... I don't think it'll be easy for me to go back to 1080

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Absolutely jump to 1440p. You won't be able to go back - it's 77% more pixels but the UI is still "large" enough to keep everything at 100% scaling.

Genuinely envy people who are capable of being productive on a 1080p screen. I bought my first 1440p screen back in 2015 when it was still minimum like $700 for a reputable brand and not a B-grade monitor from a Chinese OEM.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Just now, saintlouisbagels said:

Genuinely envy people who are capable of being productive on a 1080p screen.

1200p is doable but 1080p is just too narrow once you get used to bigger vertical space.

Just now, saintlouisbagels said:

Genuinely envy people who are capable of being productive on a 1080p screen.

It's currently just a "deal with what I got" sort of thing. I started out on a single 1366x768 screen back in 2017, which insane to think about using that nowadays.

2 minutes ago, kodokuj said:

It's currently just a "deal with what I got" sort of thing. I started out on a single 1366x768 screen back in 2017, which insane to think about using that nowadays.

Eh , I still use my ol cheap 1366x768 screen for random stuffs.

Like connecting my samsung phone to it to view a repair tutorial / reference pic when soldering / repairing stuffs 😬

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

39 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Eh , I still use my ol cheap 1366x768 screen for random stuffs.

Like connecting my samsung phone to it to view a repair tutorial / reference pic when soldering / repairing stuffs 😬

They gave us Lenovo ThinkPads during my Uni years (2011-2015) with a 1366x768 screen and it was awful trying to juggle more than 1 window for assignments. Needless to say, I would procrastinate a lot of work until I could find time to sit down at my desk with my 25" 1920x1200 monitor 🙂 

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

4 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

They gave us Lenovo ThinkPads during my Uni years (2011-2015) with a 1366x768 screen and it was awful trying to juggle more than 1 Window for assignments. Needless to say, I would procrastinate a lot of work until I could find time to sit down at my desk with my 25" 1920x1200 monitor 🙂 

Ah yea, on laptop display it's a nightmare. Bought a cheap smol laptop with that resol once, regret lasts to this day.

My 768 monitor is 18.5" or 20", forgot and cba to measure it right now, back then I couldn't care less about color, and too dumb still about resol.

Refresh before you reply

I just recently upgraded to 1440p from 1080p, and holy moly its so much better

Text is super crisp and games look phenomenal

Apprentice Software Developer

I've got a 1080p 27'' TN. Whilst programming and video editing is doable I wouldn't recommend it as there's not always a compromise but several at once. You could try getting more screens but I prefer to keep everything on one screen with just a way higher resolution. 1440p minimum. Definitely upgrade. I am myself leaving 1080p some day as well as I'm aiming for a 4k but living costs are so insane I can't ever seem to save up.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

In your case 1440p yeah.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1440p Vote, when in doubt or need more fps/performance use DLSS/FSR at Quality or Balanced or NIS in the control panel for Nvidia cards (Nvidia Image scaling if the other two are not available)

Can still look a lot better than 1080p Native with TAA Antialiasing, as FSR2 or DLSS will override TAA with their own algorithm for a cleaner image, even at 1080p upscaled (typically)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz