Backups

Go to solution Solved by Bersella AI,

TrueNAS did not have this built in. You may require a Kubernetes app like Nextcloud or Urbackup to manage file synchronization between clients, or, like aforementioned, some client-only apps packaging the whole system and uploading via Samba periodically.

I built a nas with truenas scale, is there a way to automate system backups to it from my windows computers and my MacBooks?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

What would ylou like to backup? The files and personal data or do you want images of your whole system?

The Mac is the easiest, as you can map the network share and set up the built in "time machine" system.

TrueNAS did not have this built in. You may require a Kubernetes app like Nextcloud or Urbackup to manage file synchronization between clients, or, like aforementioned, some client-only apps packaging the whole system and uploading via Samba periodically.

You can also use Free File Sync and Task Scheduler in Windows to automate back ups from your client PC to the NAS if you are just syncing files.

6 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

I built a nas with truenas scale, is there a way to automate system backups to it from my windows computers and my MacBooks?

For MacBooks, I’d just use Mac’s built in Time Machine. It works fantastic. It doesn’t make an image of the machine, but you can set up a new Mac from a Time Machine backup easily, so really “an image” isn’t needed. It also has file history etc all nicely built in. 

For Windows, as others suggested, you’d need some third party app. Windows does have options similar to Time Machine, but in my experience they don’t work nearly as well. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

On 5/17/2024 at 2:44 PM, Bersella AI said:

I saw urbackup mentioned in a video by raidowl, but there wasn’t any follow up video on how to set it up, I’ll look into figuring it out 

On 5/17/2024 at 7:33 PM, TheDarkCanuck said:

Borg or Restic are good options for cross platform backup. It's possible to install docker and portainer alongside truenas scale, I think level1techs has a walk-through. Then you could install one of those options into a docker container. 

Will definitely look into it 

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

I use SyncBack to sync folders/files over to my NAS - this program is only for Windows though.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch