Do you use Caps Lock or Shift for day to day typing?

Joshyy

I've always wondered, I use Caps lock all the time for capitalising single words and I thought it was the norm until a friend called me out on it today.

I use the Caps Lock because I find it's more strenuous to move one of my fingers down from the middle row to the bottom row than to just move a finger over to the Caps Lock key. 

I've also noticed that Keyboards in the US have a long shift below the caps whereas in the UK it's much smaller. 

What do you use?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

My caps lock key is remapped to control, so I have no choice other than to use shift, other than that pressing caps lock is very inefficient.

I was taught to use Caps Lock as little as possible, so I use shift most of the time

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

i use shift most of the time

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

I used to double tap caps lock for any capitalization when i was still on my membrane.

Now that i'm on MX Reds i have changed to using shift since it's less straining on my pinky :)

I never use caps lock in a normal day to day conversation, but whenever I feel threatened, I bring out the big boy.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I ALWAYS FORGET TURN TURN CAPS LOCK OFF, SO I USE SHIFT

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

rarely use caps lock. in some games its used for a game function but even that is pretty rare in the games I play. Off the top of my head I cant remember using it intentionally for every day typing but I have hit it by accident on many occasions.

I use caps for long sentences in capitals or when shouting at someone over the internetz, but mostly i just use shift as it easier for simple capital letters.

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

i use shift more then caps lock, unless im writing a wall of caps text in rage or something :P

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

In the days that I was playing Age of Mythology my caps lock was always on, because the cheats had to be in all caps xD

In normal typing I use the shift, I can't imagine using the caps lock for one single letter and turning it off again.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

What I don't get, is people using Cap lock to capitalize only 1 letter... every.. single... time....

My cap lock is disabled. Because I am annoyed to accidentally hit it.

I use the Shift key to type. I've just learnt to type like this. I only ever use the Caps Lock IF I WANT TO TALK LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Why would you use caps when typing?

You would have to keep flipping it on and off...

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Shift because once you release the key it disables caps so I wouldn't have to tap on the caps lock key to disable it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Nothing but left shift button. In middle school, in computer class, the teacher asked me if I knew there was a shift key on the right side of the board. My response was, uhh duh, I'm not stupid. I just use the left one. Only.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

i use caps lock all the time... but i never want to use caps lock lol its my mic button in most games i can also change it to any other key if i feel like it but it just seems odd to have it something other then caps. i use a diy keyboard with mx cherry black switches 

Im used to using capslock but using shift key is a lot more efficient

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock (@910-970mhz, @2100mhz), CPU: Intel core i5 760 (@3.3-4.2ghz) (4 cores), HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 160gb, 500GB (DEAD)RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz, MOTHERBOARD: Asus P7H55/USB3  PSU: Antec Truepower 550 80+bronze