New GeForce GTX 1060 card

mdhofstee

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3109132/hardware/nvidias-new-200-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-challenges-the-radeon-rx-480-head-on.html

Okay well here we go, here is the biggest thing when it comes down to it,

In fact, Nvidia specifically called out the 8GB RX 480 when the company pinged us about the launch of the 3GB GTX 1060. “The GTX 1060 3GB is about 10 percent faster than the AMD RX480 8GB,” an Nvidia spokesperson said.

The other big thing is the price point is 200 dollars which matches the RX480 MSRP.  So for me this is great news as I was looking for a new graphics card but the MSRP for 1060 6GB and up just scares me.  The other thing is I am not a fan of AMD.  I just do not like the heat they put out as that tends to scare me.  Overall this is a great news that NVIDIA is actually going into the low budget options.  BTW here is one other thing is that the RAM is not the only thing changing, its also the base architecture.  Frankly it looks to me that they had some 1060 chips that did not work out completely and instead of hording them for a 1050 they are just releasing a 1060 with a touch reduction. 

My System

I5 4440, 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 500GB 850evo SSD, 500GB Green WD, 3TB Green WD, 1050Ti, and more fun fun!

Oh Nvidia can completely fuck off with that 10% claims...some benchmarks shows custom RX480s beating custom 1060s so...please...go make a claim that could actually happen ;) 

p.s. This is kinda old news by the way so...maybe a repost?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Oh Nvidia can completely fuck off with that 10% claims...some benchmarks shows custom RX480s beating custom 1060s so...please...go make a claim that could actually happen ;) 

Uhm this post was just dropped today at 8am.  NVIDIA did not say they were making a 3GB 1060 until today.  Everything was rumors until now. 

My System

I5 4440, 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 500GB 850evo SSD, 500GB Green WD, 3TB Green WD, 1050Ti, and more fun fun!

Just now, mdhofstee said:

Uhm this post was just dropped today at 8am.  NVIDIA did not say they were making a 3GB 1060 until today.  Everything was rumors until now. 

Oh, didn't realise the posts before were rumors only...ah well, still, plenty of benchmarks showing non reference RX480s being able to perform on par as the 1060 in DX11 situations :P 

Yeah Nvidia has dropped the ball on DX12 in my mind which makes me mad.  However, AMD has also not been working on heat issues with their chips either.  So frankly when it comes to my next GPU I am looking more on Nvidia as I already have a hotter house and would prefer not to deal with overheating issues.  As for the difference between the 480 8GB and the 1060 6GB it is one where Nvidia dropped the ball in pricing.  I think they found out for 1080p gaming and 1440p gaming 3GB is enough and there is no need for 6GB when most people will not be gaming on 4k with a 1060 even though it could handle it.  The price for those 4k monitors are still a little to high for the average pc gamer to buy.  They are coming down but it will take some time.  BTW a rumor I am thinking they might be doing is a 2GB and a 4GB 1050 cards as well.  I think that might be a good option for them to take on AMDs lower end graphic cards. 

My System

57 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ahah 1060 6GB  is on average 10% faster reference to reference. But the 1060 3GB has 10% less cores... so it won't perform as he said.

(Not saying you're wrong, just reminding of a corollary of what you said :) )

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

Ahah 1060 6GB  is on average 10% faster reference to reference. But the 1060 3GB has 10% less cores... so it won't perform as he said.

(Not saying you're wrong, just reminding of a corollary of what you said :) )

But that's reference...where the 1060 is a LOT MORE expensive than both a RX480 custom/reference and AIB 1060s...

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

But that's reference...where the 1060 is a LOT MORE expensive than both a RX480 custom/reference and AIB 1060s...

I know, but it seems they want to lie to people saying it's 10% faster like the 6GB version even if it will have less cores, which is veeeeeery unlikely.

Just now, laminutederire said:

I know, but it seems they want to lie to people saying it's 10% faster like the 6GB version even if it will have less cores, which is veeeeeery unlikely.

10% at least higher clock speeds? not like the RX480 and 1060 6GB can't be overclocked...

newegg already has stock on the canadian site.   289$ for a EVGA 1060 Single flower fan edition 3GB 

2 hours ago, mdhofstee said:

The other thing is I am not a fan of AMD.  I just do not like the heat they put out as that tends to scare me. 

May you elaborate on that? I don't understand how the heat scares you, and amd cards don't necessarily run hotter... The rx 470 for example has the same tdp as the 1060, and the 480 has the same tdp as the 1070. So you'd be scared to put a 480 in your system but not a 1080, even though a 1080 runs hotter?!? 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

The 3gb isn't necessarily 10% slower since it has the same number of rops as the 6gb. Plus in dx11 games the 1060 6gb is closer to 15% faster, and nvidia's saying the 3gb is 5% slower, which would make it around 10% faster than the 480.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I just never seem to get why the AMD has their chips run hotter.  I still remember seeing a video where an AMD chip without a fan will start smoking where an Intel chip just stops working and saves itself.  For me I rather have a company throttle and then shut down a chip before allowing it to damage itself.  Not sure if the video was accurate or not but it was a LONG LONG time ago.  It might have been the athlon vs a P3.  Yeah I am old school.  In any case I love ATI cards back in the day as they had the all in one vid cards but after AMD bought ATI I was not impressed.  The biggest issue is I am also not a huge fan of Nvidia as when I buy products I like for the company to make the components they are selling.  Like if it is branded Nvidia or AMD I like for those companies to actually make the card.  Right now they are only making the chip and a select number of cards most of which are way above my budget for PC components. 

In any case getting back to the topic about the 1060 3GB.  I hope JayZ will do some videos along with Luke.  I like both of their bench marking methods and they work real nice.  This is one card that I am actually looking forward to.  The only other card that I would like to see is a 1050 2 or 4GB version.  Something like a regular 1050 at 2GB and a 1050TI at 4GB. 

My System

The 1060 6GB edition (since that's the one with the full 1060 chip rather than this "lets cut down the chip to 1152 CUDA cores and still call it a 1060" card) is already beaten by an RX480, don't see how cutting CUDA cores still makes it compete with the RX480. 

Put this against an RX470.

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, mdhofstee said:

I just never seem to get why the AMD has their chips run hotter.  I still remember seeing a video where an AMD chip without a fan will start smoking where an Intel chip just stops working and saves itself.  For me I rather have a company throttle and then shut down a chip before allowing it to damage itself.  Not sure if the video was accurate or not but it was a LONG LONG time ago.  It might have been the athlon vs a P3.  Yeah I am old school.  In any case I love ATI cards back in the day as they had the all in one vid cards but after AMD bought ATI I was not impressed.  The biggest issue is I am also not a huge fan of Nvidia as when I buy products I like for the company to make the components they are selling.  Like if it is branded Nvidia or AMD I like for those companies to actually make the card.  Right now they are only making the chip and a select number of cards most of which are way above my budget for PC components. 

In any case getting back to the topic about the 1060 3GB.  I hope JayZ will do some videos along with Luke.  I like both of their bench marking methods and they work real nice.  This is one card that I am actually looking forward to.  The only other card that I would like to see is a 1050 2 or 4GB version.  Something like a regular 1050 at 2GB and a 1050TI at 4GB. 

Yeah, no modern processors will go to the point that they fail from heat, unless they have a defect of some sort (unlikely). Throttle back performance or crash, yes, but not fry like they used to. I really wouldn't be so anxious about heat, if you run things at their stock speeds and voltages you really shouldn't have problems unless you're using a poorly setup system, and in any case it will shut off before heat is a major issue.

Back on to the 1060, I really have no idea why they're calling both cards 1060s, yet having different core counts... It's quite silly, really. But despite that, it is interesting to see more competition in the budget space.

1 hour ago, Hackaloken said:

Yeah, no modern processors will go to the point that they fail from heat, unless they have a defect of some sort (unlikely). Throttle back performance or crash, yes, but not fry like they used to. I really wouldn't be so anxious about heat, if you run things at their stock speeds and voltages you really shouldn't have problems unless you're using a poorly setup system, and in any case it will shut off before heat is a major issue.

Back on to the 1060, I really have no idea why they're calling both cards 1060s, yet having different core counts... It's quite silly, really. But despite that, it is interesting to see more competition in the budget space.

Because they can sell it as a card with the same performance at 1080p, since a lot of people don't look at the reduced core count.

Nvidia can GTFO with their poopoo naming scheme. :)

First Titan X now this "1060".

They are trying to confuse people deliberately. 

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

3GB 1060s are not new. I've seen them listed for more than 3 weeks now. 

So, this puts in question those who wants to go budget, like me. RX470 vs GTX1060 3GB version.

16 hours ago, mdhofstee said:

Yeah Nvidia has dropped the ball on DX12 in my mind which makes me mad.  However, AMD has also not been working on heat issues with their chips either.

Last gen, AMD needed >250W to match the performance Nvidia got with 170W on a GTX 970. Now they're doing that with 165W (or less, with RX 480 compatibility mode). They have worked on the heat issue.

It's just that Nvidia hasn't been twiddling their thumbs waiting for AMD to catch up in power efficiency.

I guess the performance it's not that good, no reviews at all.

If it was a good buy nvidia would be sending out this card and market this card as the new budget king ahaha.

Those 3Gb on a 200$+  card is silly, you are much better off with 480 4Gb.

2 hours ago, Emzijs said:

So, this puts in question those who wants to go budget, like me. RX470 vs GTX1060 3GB version.

Why even think of the 1060 when the RX480/470 is literary as fast-faster but way lower in price? Plus, on the new APIs the AMD cards are quite a lot to a heck of a lot faster than the 1060. If you're on a budget and you want to enjoy your GPU for more than 4 years you go with the RX series. If you can afford a new GPU every year you go with the 1060, or keep your money anyway and get an RX GPU in the first place.

Ye ole' train

15 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Why even think of the 1060 when the RX480/470 is literary as fast-faster but way lower in price? Plus, on the new APIs the AMD cards are quite a lot to a heck of a lot faster than the 1060. If you're on a budget and you want to enjoy your GPU for more than 4 years you go with the RX series. If you can afford a new GPU every year you go with the 1060, or keep your money anyway and get an RX GPU in the first place.

That's why I am hesitating. RX480 4GB and RX470 is equally priced here. I guess I should switch to team Red soon enough.