this is gonna' be gud - nVidia calls out Intel for cheating in GPGPU benchmarking | updated

source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/nvidia-intel-xeon-phi-deep-learning-gpu/

intelvsnvidia.jpg

Nvidia has called out Intel for juicing its chip performance in specific benchmarks—accusing Intel of publishing some incorrect "facts" about the performance of its long-overdue Knights Landing Xeon Phi cards.

Nvidia's primary beef is with the following Intel slide, which was presented at a high performance computing conference (ISC 2016). Nvidia disputes Intel's claims that Xeon Phi provides "2.3x faster training" for neural networks and that it has "38 percent better scaling" across nodes.

intel-xeon-phi-performance-claim.jpg

sad day for Intel ... I though they were done with bullcrap like this, instead they pull shit out of the same bag AMD used to

nVidia accuses them for comparing their previous gen Maxwell cards against Intel's Xeon Phi, instead of using Pascal

furthermore, nVidia points out that Intel used an older version of the AlexNet benchmark - the updated one shows improvements for Maxwell

Intel claimed that a Xeon Phi system is 2.3 times faster at training a neural network than a comparable Maxwell GPU system; Nvidia says that if Intel used an up-to-date version of the benchmark (Caffe AlexNet), the Maxwell system is actually 30 percent faster. And of course, Maxwell is Nvidia's last-gen part; the company says a comparable Pascal-based system would be 90 percent faster.

---

nVidia made a blog post addressing Intel "skewed" benchmarking: https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/08/16/correcting-some-mistakes/

Correcting Intel’s Deep Learning Benchmark Mistakes

Benchmarks are an important tool for measuring performance, but in a rapidly evolving field it can be difficult to keep up with the state of the art. Recently Intel published some incorrect “facts” about their long promised Xeon Phi processors.

Few fields are moving faster right now than deep learning. Today’s neural networks are 6x deeper and more powerful than just a few years ago. There are new techniques in multi-GPU scaling that offer even faster training performance.

In addition, our architecture and software have improved neural network training time by over 10x in a year by moving from Kepler to Maxwell to today’s latest Pascal-based systems, like the DGX-1 with eight Tesla P100 GPUs.

For example, Intel recently published some out-of-date benchmarks to make three claims about deep learning performance with Knights Landing Xeon Phi processors:

• Xeon Phi is 2.3x faster in training than GPUs
  • Xeon Phi offers 38% better scaling that GPUs across nodes
  • Xeon Phi delivers strong scaling to 128 nodes while GPUs do not

We’d like to address these claims and correct some misperceptions that may arise.

Intel used Caffe AlexNet data that is 18 months old, comparing a system with four Maxwell GPUs to four Xeon Phi servers. With the more recent implementation of Caffe AlexNet, publicly available here, Intel would have discovered that the same system with four Maxwell GPUs delivers 30% faster training time than four Xeon Phi servers.

In fact, a system with four Pascal-based NVIDIA TITAN X GPUs trains 90% faster and a single NVIDIA DGX-1 is over 5x faster than four Xeon Phi servers.

DL-comparison-chart-1.png

Intel is comparing Caffe GoogleNet training performance on 32 Xeon Phi servers to 32 servers from Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s Titan supercomputer. Titan uses four-year-old GPUs (Tesla K20X) and an interconnect technology inherited from the prior Jaguar supercomputer. Xeon Phi results were based on recent interconnect technology.

Using more recent Maxwell GPUs and interconnect, Baidu has shown that their speech training workload scales almost linearly up to 128 GPUs.

---

Intel replied to the accusations:

It is completely understandable that Nvidia is concerned about Intel in this space. Intel routinely publishes performance claims based on publicly available solutions at the time, and we stand by our data.

in a sense, I think Intel is kinda' right

are nVidia's Pascal based Tesla accelerators widely available?

---

if there isn't a market for independent GPGPU benchmarking, there should be one

but the problem is: who's gonna afford these cards or entire ecosystems based around them - not a lot

---

related reading: Tom Forsyth on Larabee - Why didn't Larrabee fail?

Edited by zMeul

Intel probably forgot that unlike AMD, they can't just beat up Nvidia without consequences. I hope a bloody battle (or at least a legal one) ensues. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

(or at least a legal one) ensues. 

legal battle, nah ... Intel can claim that at the time of the testing, Pascal based Teslas weren't available

moreover, the new Pascal based Titan X is a GTX card when they "market" it as a deep learning card - nVidia fucked up this one really good

what nVidia could do, and probably will, is to publish a bunch of benchmarks of their Pascal based GPUs against Xeon Phi

They won't be able to do anything, look at the small text, it clearly says "Software and workloads used in peformance tests may have been optimized for performance only on intel microprocessors"

How i understand this is "this stuff might be biased and cherry picked" and nvidia can't do anything.

The note is there...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

It's "NVIDIA", not Nvidia, or nVidia, or NVdia, or nvidia or Nvidiadia. :) (from their PR stuff).

I know the company likes to change its name format, but I think their marketing team thinks that screaming the company name is best for brand recognition. lol!

Ehh, whatever either way.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It's "NVIDIA", not Nvidia, or nVidia, or NVdia, or nvidia or Nvidiadia. :)

I know the company likes to change its name format, but I think their marketing team things that screaming the company name: NVIDIA, is best for brand recognition.

MicroSoft

Top comment on Ars Technica:

Publishing biased benchmarks? Surely not. That definitely sounds like something Nvidia have *never* done

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

-snip-

There were consequences for Intel, they had to pay AMD upwards of $1bn in a single case, there have been multiple cases against them in multiple countries.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1 hour ago, Shahnewaz said:

Top comment on Ars Technica:

Publishing biased benchmarks? Surely not. That definitely sounds like

something Nvidia have *never* done

They are all at it :D.

Nvidia turning up the tesselation dial wherever they can

AMD using that one game that is optimised with vulcan

Intel trying to save CPU based supercomputers

Hell its the same in every industry, German vehicle manufacturer efficiency numbers anyone? :D

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Haha what is Nvidia going to do against Intel? Intel iGPUWorks!

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

It's "NVIDIA", not Nvidia, or nVidia, or NVdia, or nvidia or Nvidiadia. :)

I know the company likes to change its name format, but I think their marketing team things that screaming the company name: NVIDIA, is best for brand recognition.

nViDia amD inTEl

2 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

Seems rather ironic that NVIDIA is accusing someone of shady marketing techniques....

GTX 1080FASTER THAN TWO 980s in SLI

in VR

AlswkWN.jpg

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

AlswkWN.jpg

Sorry. I don't follow :( ... Are you noting that it shows a Paragon background, but none of the performance benchmarks are based on Paragon?

Just now, -BirdiE- said:

Sorry. I don't follow :( ... Are you noting that it shows a Paragon background, but none of the performance benchmarks are based on Paragon?

it's marketing .. who cares ?!

the GTX1070 material has Mirror's Edge Catalyst in background:

NVIDIA-GEForce-GTX-1070-Performance.png

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It's "NVIDIA", not Nvidia, or nVidia, or NVdia, or nvidia or Nvidiadia. :) (from their PR stuff).

I know the company likes to change its name format, but I think their marketing team thinks that screaming the company name is best for brand recognition. lol!

Their logo spells it with a lower case n and the rest upper case.

If they wanted it to be NVIDIA then maybe they should have written it that way in their logo.

slide1_mid.jpg

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

it's marketing .. who cares ?!

the GTX1070 material has Mirror's Edge Catalyst in background:

-snip-

I don't care.. I'm just saying it's ironic that NVIDIA is throwing a big stink about Intel doing this, when they employ very similar tactics...

Just now, -BirdiE- said:

I don't care.. I'm just saying it's ironic that NVIDIA is throwing a big stink about Intel doing this, when they employ very similar tactics...

you were quoting me because of the image in the background

please don't take me out of context

Just now, zMeul said:

you were quoting me because of the image in the background

please don't take me out of context

I specifically said I didn't follow the point you were trying to make with that.... I was asking for clarification..

6 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

I specifically said I didn't follow the point you were trying to make with that.... I was asking for clarification..

the image I posted should be enough to clarify what you "claimed" nVidia did

1st off, it wasn't 980Tis, it was 980

2ndly, VR is labeled appropriately and not a minuscule footnote as you make it look like

Just now, zMeul said:

the image I posted should be enough to clarify what you "claimed" nVidia did

1st off, it wasn't 980Tis, it was 980

2ndly, VR is labeled appropriately and not a minuscule footnote as you make it look like

Clearly I wasn't referencing that piece of marketing material....

It was the stuff during the announcement press conference, when they kept saying that the 1080 was twice as fast as 980s in SLI... And only after the conference did they specify that they meant in VR.

Just now, -BirdiE- said:

Clearly I wasn't referencing that piece of marketing material....

It was the stuff during the announcement press conference, when they kept saying that the 1080 was twice as fast as 980s in SLI... And only after the conference did they specify that they meant in VR.

the writing was on the wall quite literally since that slide was shown off during the event - some people are more busy with their social media bullshit rather than paying attention to what's going on