No one knows how to count anymore?!

FanBlade

Windows 7         Htc one       galaxy note 4

Windiws 8          Htc one       galaxy note 5

Windows 10      Htc 10         galaxy note 7

Whats with tech companies that they have to skip a number

Why make the lives of us techies harder by making us explain to non techies that there was no windows 9 and we don't know why

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One.

Or better yet. The word 'New'. New Nintendo 3DS.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

"one" is when tech companies got into having that "one" device to rule them all such as Microsoft with the xbox one. Mostly they feel that they changed too much for it not to skip a number.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

Why make the lives of us techies harder by making us explain to non techies that there was no windows 9 and we don't know why

Well, Samsung wanted to bring their Note series in line with the S series. HTC had the M9 before, and Microsoft idek

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

it has been going on for decades windows 95 to windows 98 to windows ME to windows 2000..

not really a new thing to be all yikes! about.

9 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

Maybe the number 6 has a negative connotation in Korea?  Maybe it's like elevators not having a 13th floor in some regions, or where certain sets of items are not sold in sets of 4 or 9 in Japan.

Windows jumped from Windows 3.1 to 95 to 98 to 2000 to XP, Vista, 7...

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Im pretty sure Barnacules  stated it was due to lazy developers. Back in the days of Windows 95 and 98 they used to code thing with Win 9x. There is fear that it could break something if they added Windows 9 in to the mix. Its kinda like the Y2K bug, were they used two digit dates because of lazyness, then had to go to 4 digit dates to make sure they didnt break shit. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Made a python script to help companies out

product = "HTC"
max = 10
for i in range(1,max+1):
	print("Say hello to the new {0} {1}".format(product, i));

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

11 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

Because Seven ate Nine.

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One.

Or better yet. The word 'New'. New Nintendo 3DS.

The new razor blade made linus mad

8 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

You should have 135 posts? is this a bug?

It says 134 as I write

8 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

"one" is when tech companies got into having that "one" device to rule them all such as Microsoft with the xbox one. Mostly they feel that they changed too much for it not to skip a number.

But people will think that the "one" is the original

Screenshot_2016-08-06-21-52-24.png

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

there is already a topic about this, so I say repost/retoast

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

Microsoft's official PR statement was that the Windows after 8 would be so awesome, it'd skip a version number. But there are theories that suggest that there were some developers who were so dumb/lazy in the Windows 9x days that when checking to see which Windows you had, they'd only check for "Windows 9".

There's no Galaxy Note 6 because Samsung wanted to synchronize the numbers with the Galaxy.

I can't explain HTC.

EDIT: Actually the HTC 10 comes from the model names they used. The last one being the HTC One M9.

16 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

If I recall correctly, part of the reasoning starts like this: when a legacy program starts it runs a little bit of code that tells the program what Windows version it's running on. It goes something like "if OS name starts with Windows 9 then it's either Windows 95 or 98."

Calling it Windows 9 would ruin this system and potentially break a lot of legacy software, so they skipped it.

Plus Microsoft thought Windows 9 was too close a number to 8/8.1 which they wanted to distance themselves from for obvious reasons. Even though I like Windows 8.1

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

16 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

Htc one

Htc one

Htc 10

Way to cherry-pick. M8, M9/A9, 10.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Also Windows 7 doesn't make sense because there's nothing that adds up to 7. It's not the 7th version of Windows NT (it's the 4th or 5th if you count Windows Server 2003). It's not the 7th version of Windows for consumers (that'd be either 98 SE, Me, or XP, depending on if you count 3.0 and 3.1 the same or separate and 98 and 98 SE the same or separate). And the NT kernel was 6.1 (which... I guess if you add the digits adds up to 7 but that's weak).

At least Windows 10 uses the NT 10 kernel.

They are a number of reasons at play.

Mostly, it is marketing, For example, XBox 3, sounds like it is older than the PlayStation 4, so they went with "One", because it says "the one device you need for your entertainment need in your living room".

Windows Me was used because Windows 2000 was used already. And Windows 2000 was used over NT5, because back in the day "2000" sounded cool, futuristic and all that, and everything had "2000", "3000", "4000" in model names and so on.

Windows 10 was used instead of Windows 9, because many software, to detect if you are using Windows 95 or 98, checks to see if there is a match in the Windows version for "Windows 9", instead of actually getting the version number of the OS and processing it. Old code that was reused over the many years up to today. So, to avoid software saying "Error OS not supported", type of messages, or if it is a legacy software, not think that it is Windows 96/98 running and using old APIs and files, to only crash instead of using Windows XP and up API.

As for Titan X (2016) for the Pascal architecture. Titan P doesn't sound as good as Titan X, and Titan XP sounds like it is legacy old hardware from Windows XP days, not helped with the fact that many things had "XP" as they were capitalizing on that (including peripherals, and products that had nothing to do with computers).

XP was used as it sounded better than 2001. Also, using years in products, Microsoft realized that it after 1-2 years it sounds old (although they are advantages in pushing newer software... I mean imagine if Windows XP was called Windows 2001, I think people would have switched to Windows 7 much more easily).

And all these reasons changes over time, as perceptions of people changes, and so there is no "master rule book", hence why 80's marketing doesn't work in the 90's, and 90's marketing doesn't work in early 2000, and today.

39 minutes ago, airdeano said:

it has been going on for decades windows 95 to windows 98 to windows ME to windows 2000..

not really a new thing to be all yikes! about.

but that was different, those were named after the year they were released in

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

They are a number of reasons at play.

Mostly, it is marketing, For example, XBox 3, sounds like it is older than the PlayStation 4, so they went with "One", because it says "the one device you need for your entertainment need in your living room".

Windows Me was used because Windows 2000 was used already. And Windows 2000 was used over NT5, because back in the day "2000" sounded cool, futuristic and all that, and everything had "2000", "3000", "4000" in model names and so on.

Windows 10 was used instead of Windows 9, because many software, to detect if you are using Windows 95 or 98, checks to see if there is a match in the Windows version for "Windows 9", instead of actually getting the version number of the OS and processing it. Old code that was reused over the many years up to today. So, to avoid software saying "Error OS not supported", type of messages, or if it is a legacy software, not think that it is Windows 96/98 running and using old APIs and files, to only crash instead of using Windows XP and up API.

As for Titan X (2016) for the Pascal architecture. Titan P doesn't sound as good as Titan X, and Titan XP sounds like it is legacy old hardware from Windows XP days, not helped with the fact that many things had "XP" as they were capitalizing on that (including peripherals, and products that had nothing to do with computers).

XP was used as it sounded better than 2001, also using years in products, Microsoft realized that it after 1-2 years it sounds old (although they are advantages in pushing newer software... I mean imagine if Windows XP was called Windows 2001, I think people would have switched to Windows 7 much easily).

And all these reasons changes over time, as perceptions of people changes, and so there is no "master rule book", hence why 80's marketing doesn't work in the 90's, and 90's marketing doesn't work in early 2000, and today.

Why not call it something like Titan x ii or Titan x v2

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

3 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

Why not call it something like Titan x ii or Titan x v2

I am no marketing expert. But, to me it sounds like "this is still revision 2. Revision 1 had issues that we fixed". Also, it is long.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I am no marketing expert. But, to me it sounds like "this is still revision 2. Revision 1 had issues that we fixed"

So will Nvidia always keep calling the Titan x forever? They ran out of names 

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

7 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

So will Nvidia always keep calling the Titan x forever? They ran out of names 

Well... they did call 3 products "Nvidia Shield"... :|

Soon: "NVIDIA Shield the graphics card", " NVIDIA Shield the Physics engine", " NVIDIA Shield the parallel computing platform", "NVIDIA Shield the toilet paper", and of course: "NVIDIA Shield the flame thrower".

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well... they did call 3 products "Nvidia Shield"... :|

Soon: "NVIDIA Shield the graphics card", " NVIDIA Shield the Physics engine", " NVIDIA Shield the parallel computing platform", "NVIDIA Shield the toilet paper", and of course: "NVIDIA Shield the flame thrower".

And the "NVIDIA Shield shield." Or would it be NVIDIA Shield2?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Well, LG "Optimus" G, G2, G3, G4, V10, G5, V20... Wait what!? They know how to count!?

FIHci.jpg

Groomlake Authority