Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

Im leaning towards the hypothesis that this is caused by rf/electrical interference with the MONITOR(not the pc itself). After switching pcs that can cause a change in configuration for a general area which can maybe lead to electrical interference. Im going to try to unplug everything near my monitor and see if that fixes it. If it does then ill try ot reconfigure my area.

On 8/1/2021 at 7:00 AM, Colonizor48 said:

Im leaning towards the hypothesis that this is caused by rf/electrical interference with the MONITOR(not the pc itself). After switching pcs that can cause a change in configuration for a general area which can maybe lead to electrical interference. Im going to try to unplug everything near my monitor and see if that fixes it. If it does then ill try ot reconfigure my area.

If you suspect RF interference then there is a cleaner way of testing it than unplugging device: a Faraday cage. Figure out which frequencies you think are the issue and make a cage out of mesh/fencing with the appropriate hole size, ground it, and put the monitor inside. The cage should block most or all of the RF radiation.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I think it could be that you are running a lower resolution than native, so using vrs or dsr makes it look better. The problem would be that there is a bad calculation, configuration or communication between the pc and the monitor. So it gives us a wrong resolution.

I feel that the solution when we find it will be too simple and then we will be laughing

18 hours ago, luaR zepoL said:

I feel that the solution when we find it will be too simple and then we will be laughing

Honestly i have a feeling that will be the case as well. Just something that someone overlooked or somthing. But the issue is finding out what that is.

On 8/6/2021 at 6:50 AM, tikker said:

If you suspect RF interference then there is a cleaner way of testing it than unplugging device: a Faraday cage. Figure out which frequencies you think are the issue and make a cage out of mesh/fencing with the appropriate hole size, ground it, and put the monitor inside. The cage should block most or all of the RF radiation.

Is there a way to just block everything? Like everything accept visible light of corse.

2 hours ago, Colonizor48 said:

Is there a way to just block everything? Like everything accept visible light of corse.

A wall. There aren't really any other sources of strong interference besides radio waves or our creation.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

To give you all an idea of what I tried so far to resolve the issue (not resolved yet😞)

1. Changed monitor

2. Change display cable from DVI to HDMI to DP

3. Changed power supply

4. Changed UPS

5. Changed Graphics Card

6. Changed CPU

7. Changed Motherboard

8. Added an SSD

9. Reinstalled windows

10. Formatted hard drive

What I did not try so far:

1. Changing RAM

2. Changing HDD

3. Moving to a different location

I change the ram and the hdd and nothing. But I also had the problem with my laptop and cell phone.
Also when I went to my cousins' house in another state and we played on the xbox 360, all the problems were also seen, but later in my uncle's house the same xbox looked normal.

Hey! I am from Russia, unfortunately, no one here also knows what the reason is. I already have ladders on my computer, phone and TV. Moreover, they also appear on new equipment. I tried all the PC components for me, and also moved to another apartment, but this did not give any results. Hope the problem can be solved.

On 8/11/2021 at 4:17 PM, tikker said:

A wall. There aren't really any other sources of strong interference besides radio waves or our creation.

I ment everything from radio waves to microwaves basicly. A fariday cage would prove or disprove this. Ill look into it.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, luaR zepoL said:

I change the ram and the hdd and nothing. But I also had the problem with my laptop and cell phone.
Also when I went to my cousins' house in another state and we played on the xbox 360, all the problems were also seen, but later in my uncle's house the same xbox looked normal.

Interesting. I moving to a new place next month. I hope to see interesting results.

15 hours ago, Colonizor48 said:

I ment everything from radio waves to microwaves basicly. A fariday cage would prove or disprove this. Ill look into it.

Anything higher energy than that you can basically block with a normal wall, except for x-ray or gamma radiation, but you don't find that in sufficient quantity on Earth's surface anyway or we'd all be dead in no time. As for radio and microwaves, those waves will be reflected by meshes with holes smaller than approximately half the wavelength of the incoming radiation (this is why microwaves have mesh in the door, to confine the radiation to the inside). In other words, blocking 5 GHz (6 cm) radio waves requires holes smaller than 3 cm to start blocking those.

(see e.g. https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/149607/what-is-the-relationship-between-faraday-cage-mesh-size-and-attenuation-of-cell)

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly this might not be electircal interference with the monitor itself. This is due to the fact that the shimmering seems to create somewhat uniform paterns instead of random noise. Also mipmapping looks corrupted and noisy but the pattern is uniform. I suspect some sort of mipmaping issue be it on the hardware or software side, and this doesnt rule out electircal interference.

This issue is completly resolved for me after changing my room....I live in Dubai UAE my new apartment is around 10 miles away from my old apartment...i used to face this issue in my case  No antialiasing whatsover across all my devices (PS4,Gaming PC,Mobile devices etc) ,shimmering,Low LOD.Distortion in shadows to name a few....now all my devices are running perfectly fine no issues observed till date.... resently bought PS5 and enjoying it....

I have some solid evidence this issue exists and it isnt mental now. Like 100% and will share it soon.

I am moving to a new apartment too in a few days. Will also be able to confirm if locality makes a difference.

I have been having this issue ever since I built a new rig.

I can ascertain from my own experience that it is not related to power.

I did not have these issues on my GTX 1050 rig (which I sadly no longer have) nor any games consoles I have owned during the time I’ve lived at my residence.

I have performed multiple system/drive wipes.

I’m also really surprised at the lack of video comparisons, so I’ll be doing some tomorrow and posting here.

My current specs are:

Windows 10 
16GB RAM

RX 5700 XT

Ryzen 7 3800x

Samsung Evo 1TB SSD

Baracuda 2TB HDD

MAYBE IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING THE ISSUE:

From what I’ve gathered, there seems to be a specific radius that meshes are loaded at if you have this issue. 
This was most obvious to me in Battlefield V, Hell Let Loose, and Planetside 2 whilst in air vehicles.

More specifically, the radius seems to be a circular bubble around the player position.

The radius remains the same on ALL games.

On games with engine’s that support larger draw distances (modern titles for example), objects are loaded but with the lowest possible LOD.

As the player moves, the objects which enter into the radius are given their actual/intended LOD.

Strangely it’s very deceptive, in the sense that it seems like it’s done in a way to trick you. This is what led me to believe it was a virus; such as a cryptominer of some kind, but after many system wipes, I’m pretty sure it’s not that. 
(That being said, I did hear a theory ages ago online about this issue. Some guy said that it’s a crypto miner embedded in the GPU somehow, but honestly I don’t know if that’s worth chasing up).

Anyway, if this LOD radius is the same as everyone else’s, and we can get comparisons to confirm, we’ll be able to be certain that the issue people are experiencing boils down to the same thing, which may make it easier to find the culprit.

I encourage all of you having this issue to provide good video comparisons to show what the games SHOULD look like, and what the games look like on our rigs.

5 hours ago, China Frog said:

I have been having this issue ever since I built a new rig.

I can ascertain from my own experience that it is not related to power.

I did not have these issues on my GTX 1050 rig (which I sadly no longer have) nor any games consoles I have owned during the time I’ve lived at my residence.

I have performed multiple system/drive wipes.

I’m also really surprised at the lack of video comparisons, so I’ll be doing some tomorrow and posting here.

My current specs are:

Windows 10 
16GB RAM

RX 5700 XT

Ryzen 7 3800x

Samsung Evo 1TB SSD

Baracuda 2TB HDD

MAYBE IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING THE ISSUE:

From what I’ve gathered, there seems to be a specific radius that meshes are loaded at if you have this issue. 
This was most obvious to me in Battlefield V, Hell Let Loose, and Planetside 2 whilst in air vehicles.

More specifically, the radius seems to be a circular bubble around the player position.

The radius remains the same on ALL games.

On games with engine’s that support larger draw distances (modern titles for example), objects are loaded but with the lowest possible LOD.

As the player moves, the objects which enter into the radius are given their actual/intended LOD.

Strangely it’s very deceptive, in the sense that it seems like it’s done in a way to trick you. This is what led me to believe it was a virus; such as a cryptominer of some kind, but after many system wipes, I’m pretty sure it’s not that. 
(That being said, I did hear a theory ages ago online about this issue. Some guy said that it’s a crypto miner embedded in the GPU somehow, but honestly I don’t know if that’s worth chasing up).

Anyway, if this LOD radius is the same as everyone else’s, and we can get comparisons to confirm, we’ll be able to be certain that the issue people are experiencing boils down to the same thing, which may make it easier to find the culprit.

I encourage all of you having this issue to provide good video comparisons to show what the games SHOULD look like, and what the games look like on our rigs.

Your right. i jus thavent found the motivation to work ont his project as ive been preocupied with other things.

Friends, I just flashed and modified the bios of my gpu and it did not solve the problem. I warn you not to try it because it may render your gpu unusable.

Here is my 100% proof that the issue is NOT psycological. This is a simmilar issue to the edge shimmering. And also effects all games where lines will "break" like this depending on your camera angle and distance. Including no mans sky. its 100% related. If not the issue itself. Look closly at the lines in the ocean. While were at it this most likely rules out a monitor issue. Im not 100% sure but im pretty sure that if it were just a monitor issue the effect would not apply in the screenshot. not 100% sure tho.  The lines also fluctuate for lack of a better word. as you zoom in and out. If needed i can post video.1341880192_Screenshot(263).thumb.png.344753b2fc633e6505624c0b440dfcaa.png

551960068_Screenshot(264).png

I've done some recordings showing the issue on Planetside 2 and Hell Let Loose.

https://streamable.com/2ewyuc

I've also tried to do some more digging about this problem on other websites, but I'm hitting brick walls on every post I visit.

Has anybody tried using a different GPU in the same rig, and seeing if the problem persists?

This would really help to narrow down the problem. Sadly, this troubleshooting option is not available to me, so hopefully somebody here can try it and let us know the results.

4 hours ago, Colonizor48 said:

Here is my 100% proof that the issue is NOT psycological. This is a simmilar issue to the edge shimmering. And also effects all games where lines will "break" like this depending on your camera angle and distance. Including no mans sky. its 100% related. If not the issue itself. Look closly at the lines in the ocean. While were at it this most likely rules out a monitor issue. Im not 100% sure but im pretty sure that if it were just a monitor issue the effect would not apply in the screenshot. not 100% sure tho.  The lines also fluctuate for lack of a better word. as you zoom in and out. If needed i can post video.1341880192_Screenshot(263).thumb.png.344753b2fc633e6505624c0b440dfcaa.png

551960068_Screenshot(264).png

Thanks for posting back.

I cannot tell the difference between those two screenshots whatsoever (is there supposed to be a difference?)

I must say, screenshots don't convey the issue properly whatsoever. I found this out myself when I took screenshots of ganeplay, and I couldn't really tell the difference when I looked at them afterwards.

Videos convey the issue fully.

As I mentioned in my last response, I'll be posting my videos as soon as I get my editing software working again, but if you could do the same thing, that would probably be really helpful as well.

You can upload the videos to something like streamable, and post the links here so we can view them.