PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Thanks I'll look into those choices.

I like to play games.

That is all.

These tiers don't make sense and are arbitrary. There's no defining characteristic of each tier so this list is effectively useless as a ranking. While I agree that all of the units on tier 1 are good, I don't know why they're better than tier 2 or 3, or why 7 is worse than 6, etc. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

1 hour ago, MellowCream said:

These tiers don't make sense and are arbitrary. There's no defining characteristic of each tier so this list is effectively useless as a ranking. While I agree that all of the units on tier 1 are good, I don't know why they're better than tier 2 or 3, or why 7 is worse than 6, etc. 

I wonder if it would be possible to organise the PSU list by the type of designs used such as DC-DC, or even topologies, rather than just a numbered tiered system. Then maybe split those design groups up in to "Good" "Average" and "Bad" within that group based on other factors such as quality of components, build quality, protections, fan type/profiles/noise, etc.

So you might have a group for Double Forward PSUs then within that group split that group up in to segments. Units that have full range of protections, good build quality and a quality fan in the "Good" section, but other Double Forward PSUs that have sleeve bearing fans, crappy components and lack of (or failed) protections in the "Bad" section of that group...

... If that makes sense to anyone at all? :S

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

I wonder if it would be possible to organise the PSU list by the type of designs used such as DC-DC, or even topologies, rather than just a numbered tiered system. Then maybe split those design groups up in to "Good" "Average" and "Bad" within that group based on other factors such as quality of components, build quality, protections, fan type/profiles/noise, etc.

So you might have a group for Double Forward PSUs then within that group split that group up in to segments. Units that have full range of protections, good build quality and a quality fan in the "Good" section, but other Double Forward PSUs that have sleeve bearing fans, crappy components and lack of (or failed) protections in the "Bad" section of that group...

... If that makes sense to anyone at all? :S

Primary topology doesn’t make much of a difference to the consumer besides efficiency.

Knowing the secondary topology (DC-DC, double forward, etc) is only useful to assume how the PSU performs when data isn’t no available.

A better way to do a list is by describing how well the PSU is in each aspect.

For example, A psu might have “great voltage regulation” if it statistically had <1% regulation, but it may have “mediocre ripple” if > 60mV.

A system that doesn’t rely on subjection and describes to the reader why the PSU would be better.

the only issue is the effort Andy time needed to make such a thing.

1 minute ago, Rexper said:

A system that doesn’t rely on subjection and describes to the reader why the PSU would be better.

the only issue is the effort Andy time needed to make such a thing.

Yeah but that would still be subjective as you have to subjectively choose what is important and to what measure...

Personally I'm not a fan of hyping Voltage Regulation and Quality too much. A "mediocre" unit that has like 40-50mV on +12V and 1,5% Regulation is already superb.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Personally I'm not a fan of hyping Voltage Regulation and Quality too much. A "mediocre" unit that has like 40-50mV on +12V and 1,5% Regulation is already superb.

Of course.

In that system people can disregard different aspects that don’t apply to them.

I was using coolermaster b600 for atleast 5 years with fx 6300 and gtx660.

Now that supply is with 8700k and gtx 1070 ti strix. If this supply dies i think i will buy evga b1 600w. Is it good?

2 minutes ago, Lowzyyy said:

I was using coolermaster b600 for atleast 5 years with fx 6300 and gtx660.

Now that supply is with 8700k and gtx 1070 ti strix. If this supply dies i think i will buy evga b1 600w. Is it good?

No. You'd be replacing one piece of crap with another. 

Instead of getting a crappy 600W PSU, get a good 450W isntead. You can afford a $350 CPU and a $450 GPU, so spending $80 on a good PSU shouldn't be much of an issue. 

:)

Why do you think so? Its 80+ bronze. I think thats good and its 70e in Serbia. I cant strech more than that. Its really expensive down here...

3 minutes ago, Lowzyyy said:

Why do you think so? Its 80+ bronze. I think thats good and its 70e in Serbia. I cant strech more than that. Its really expensive down here...

A super low end group regulated PSU is crap. 

PSUs are expensive, but an 8700K and a 1070 Ti, that's super cheap, right?

:)

So you think 450w is enough? Which one platinum? Because i have ssd, hdd 7200rpm, and 5 fans.

Recommend me one which will be good for my PC but not extremly expensive. Maybe i will overclock in couple of years to 4.4-4.5ghz, so keep that in mind..Now its stock

thanks

1 hour ago, Lowzyyy said:

s

You don't really need a platinum rated efficiency PSU, besides looking at PCPP for US (assuming you're from there) the cheapest Platinum rated PSU that'd I'd go for right now is:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6p8H99/evga-power-supply-220p20650x1

But that's still about 150w more than you need and quite pricey, you could get away with a PSU that is almost half the price:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KmgzK8/seasonic-focus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

So you think 450w is enough?

No

A good quality 450W like Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M, be quiet Straight Power 11.

Which one platinum? Because i have ssd, hdd 7200rpm, and 5 fans.

Irrelevant, CPU and GPU are the biggest things that consume power, everything else is secondary...

Recommend me one which will be good for my PC but not extremly expensive. Maybe i will overclock in couple of years to 4.4-4.5ghz, so keep that in mind..Now its stock

thanks

Dude, you waste almost 1000 Bucks on CPU and GPU but won't get a decent PSU?!
Wanna kill your Hardware?!
Wanna have unnecessary Problems??

Just because PSU don't do FPS don't mean you can save money on it!
You have to have decent quality ones as well, if you want to keep your stuff for longer...

I said i am from Serbia. @Princess Cadence that seasonic is 100e here, lol but it looks good to me.

@Stefan Payne yes but that money is everything i saved. Believe it or not, we in Serbia consider 70e to be more than enough for power supply. Half of the population use LC Power and Raidmax PSUs haha

edit: we have focus plus

Just now, Lowzyyy said:

Sorry, this is why it's always good to make your own thread with all the information before hand, I'm not familiar with Serbia market but always think of the PSU as an worthy investment as it can last with you for years with different systems even if you don't cheap up on it.

While being pretty much the insurance against unexpected loses, bottom line is that most gold rated power supplies in most countries are hardly much more expensive than bronze ones but they usually have key features that makes much more sense owning.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

@Princess Cadence
I am from Serbia too, I paid 62e for Pure Power 11 400w, 400w Pure Power 10 was 57e from this seller, for 72e I think he can get 500w Pure Power 11, and 500w Pure Power 10 is under 70e I am sure, that's what I wanted to get at first, but I realised I won't need 500w for RX570 and an A10-7870k APU which I plan on replacing with Ryzen 5

@Lowzyyy
https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Kompjuteri-Desktop/Napajanja/BE-QUIET-napajanja-54971161-oglas.htm?filter_id=164749802
contact this guy and ask him for price on 500w Pure Power 10 and 11, and buy 11 if it's under 70e, if not get 10

In regards to re-organizing the list; I have to agree, it needs to be done. Pretty sure some of those T1 units are not really recommended, which begs the question; why are they in T1 to begin with. lol. And the reason some are in one tier vs another aren't clear. 

There are so many different ways to go about creating a list as there are so many different factors with PSUs. One thing I've learned when doing things like this is to keep it simple and concentrate on the factors that matter most to the end user. Most people don't care about the specific ripple, voltage regulation, hold-up time, etc. of each unit. All they really want to know is: which one should I buy and which ones are good value? 

Thus, I think finding some simplified way of listing or grading the units from best to worst (overall) would help provide viewers the most straight-forward answers and understanding.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

which ones are good value? 

I have to disagree on this one, as prices are different everywhere, I think you should exclude pricing and value from PSU tier list and just go with how good those PSU's are, if there was value involved in Europe Cooler Master MWE 400w would be best PSU to recommend, is rly inexpensive $30 including all the taxes in Hungary which have 27% taxes

there are other tricky stuff about tier list imo, like how do you rank those fanless units, they heavily depend on your case airflow and might get hot if you are running dual graphic cards setup or a small mATX case like i got

10 minutes ago, komi1997 said:

I have to disagree on this one, as prices are different everywhere, I think you should exclude pricing and value from PSU tier list and just go with how good those PSU's are, if there was value involved in Europe Cooler Master MWE 400w would be best PSU to recommend, is rly inexpensive $30 including all the taxes in Hungary which have 27% taxes

there are other tricky stuff about tier list imo, like how do you rank those fanless units, they heavily depend on your case airflow and might get hot if you are running dual graphic cards setup or a small mATX case like i got

That is a really good point! Noted. :) Yeah, pricing is all over the place all over the world, so value will vary. But the quality and merits of the units themselves does not change and thus, should be the main factor. Agreed. 

I know Jonny Guru has stated that he hates tier lists, especially for things like PSUs because there are so many various factors, and I have to agree to an extent. The current list we have is definitely due for a refresh.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

14 hours ago, komi1997 said:

I have to disagree on this one, as prices are different everywhere,

Yes but the classification of Manufacturers is the same everywhere.

A low end unit will always be a low end one.

And if you have to pay the same for a low end and a mid range, you get the mid range one.

Simple solution for that ;)

I think you should exclude pricing and value from PSU tier list and just go with how good those PSU's are

How good they are in its class.

Because throwing everything in a pot and categorizing them makes no sense. And that's the main Problem of this Tier List.

for 500€ you can do completely different units than for 50€, where you have to comprimize and choose what you want to do.

And it makes more sense to get a Bitfenix Formula 450W for 75€ than a Cooler Master Master Watt or EVGA B.

, if there was value involved in Europe Cooler Master MWE 400w would be best PSU to recommend, is rly inexpensive $30 including all the taxes in Hungary which have 27% taxes

I disagree.

Because under 600W (WHY 600W?!) they are the same group regulated units. And Group regulated is bad in this day and age.

So the minimal requirement is to be independently regulated.

If possible, digitally (=DC-DC)

The best theap ones are Xilence Performance A+ and be quiet System Power 9.

There aren't many options in this area that are indy regulated.

@komi1997 i already ordered Seasonic Focus Plus 550w for 85e. I was reading about it and everyone said that this is very good PSU.

Maybe it was better to buy that beQuiet you guys recommended but now its done. 

On 12/3/2018 at 7:18 AM, MEC-777 said:

In regards to re-organizing the list; I have to agree, it needs to be done. Pretty sure some of those T1 units are not really recommended, which begs the question; why are they in T1 to begin with. lol. And the reason some are in one tier vs another aren't clear. 

There are so many different ways to go about creating a list as there are so many different factors with PSUs. One thing I've learned when doing things like this is to keep it simple and concentrate on the factors that matter most to the end user. Most people don't care about the specific ripple, voltage regulation, hold-up time, etc. of each unit. All they really want to know is: which one should I buy and which ones are good value? 

Thus, I think finding some simplified way of listing or grading the units from best to worst (overall) would help provide viewers the most straight-forward answers and understanding.

I think value needs to be somewhat considered. Someone might see the Maker MiJ first and immediately buy it without looking at anything else. 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

hi

guys help me ، which psu at same prices

1- cooler master v650s

2-fsp hydro g750

my system is : i5 3570k 4.2 ~ 4.8 ghz

16gb ddr3 ram 1866 mhz cl8

gtx 1060 6gb

5 case fan

2 hdd 7200 rpm

9 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

I think value needs to be somewhat considered. Someone might see the Maker MiJ first and immediately buy it without looking at anything else. 

The problem is the value changes depending on where you live. The unit that is the best value to one person, may not be the same to someone else living in another country. 

1 hour ago, sosi93 said:

hi

guys help me ، which psu at same prices

1- cooler master v650s

2-fsp hydro g750

my system is : i5 3570k 4.2 ~ 4.8 ghz

16gb ddr3 ram 1866 mhz cl8

gtx 1060 6gb

5 case fan

2 hdd 7200 rpm

Are those your only options? For that system you would be better off with a 550w and save yourself some money.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler