PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

Why do you call them piece of shit? Super Flower Golden Green is a very good platform, I'd place it somewhere below Corsair TX.

Yeah and Leadex isn't more than a rearrangement of that with fully modular in mind. 

They both have the same components.

And at the time the Golden Green were considered high(er) end, something between a be quiet Straight and a Dark Power Pro.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Hi, I'm still on my quite old 500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power E9 Non-Modular 80+ Gold. Given that it's non-modular, old (out of warranty) and that I am experiencing some weird issues as of late (randomly needs some more "clicks" on the Start Button to power on, randomly turns itself on again right after turning it off,..) I'd like to buy a new power supply. Current Setup:

- Ryzen 5 1600 (4.05GHz @1.35V)

- 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz

- GTX 1060 6GB OCd (don't know exact values right now)

- 1x 500GB Sata SSD, 1x 500GB M.2 Sata SSD, 1x 4TB 5400RPM HDD

- 4x 120mm Case Fan

- Noctua NH-D15 (-> 2x 140mm Fan)

- PCIe USB Extension Card, lots of USB Devices connected at once (Mouse, Keyboard, AMP-DAC, Graphics-Tablet, Oculus Rift + 3 Sensors, often PS4 Controller,..)

Now I think my current 500W Power Supply is a bit on the lower end in terms of amount of Wattage - so I was thinking of going with a 650W one (leaving me the option to upgrade to Zen2 and possibly a new GPU - maybe a 1080 or 1080Ti - in the future).. Is this reasonable, or what would you recommend to me?

I was thinking of the be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER11 CM 650 W, as it is fully modular, I could get it quite cheap (~85€) and it's in the Tier 1 bracket (I believe so? It doesn't list it with the CM , but it has the same article number as listed on the be quiet! site).

What do you think, any recommendations? Is my line of thought fine, or did I miss something?

Cheers!

edit: budget up to ~130€ I'd say, unless there are some way better ones for a bit more or something like that.

49 minutes ago, thecoon324 said:

What do you think, any recommendations? Is my line of thought fine, or did I miss something?

Get the 550W, the 650W is crap because it has the same modular panel as the 550W...

So save the money and get the 550W as the 650W don't offer you an advantage.

Your PSU isn't on the low end, just a bit old and sadly group regulated (didn't understand why they wanted the E9 as the E8 was better)...

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Get the 550W, the 650W is crap because it has the same modular panel as the 550W...

So save the money and get the 550W as the 650W don't offer you an advantage.

Your PSU isn't on the low end, just a bit old and sadly group regulated (didn't understand why they wanted the E9 as the E8 was better)...

I said "in terms of Wattage" - I thought 500W was close to be maxed out..

Will the 550W Unit then be future proof enough for me? If I upgrade to a 1080Ti and an overclocked Zen3 CPU? Or rather, will it be close at all or is everything fine when I go with the 550W unit?

8 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Why do you call them piece of shit? Super Flower Golden Green is a very good platform, I'd place it somewhere below Corsair TX.

I've seen them fail more thab once, killing some components in the process

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI B450M Mortan Titanium | Corsair H100i RGB | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16gb 3000Mhz | PNY RTX 2080 XLR8 | EVGA 850W B3 | Crucial MX500 500gb x 2 | NZXT H400 

5 minutes ago, PabloSL said:

I've seen them fail more thab once, killing some components in the process

PSUs branded Sentey, or the specific models?

:)

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

PSUs branded Sentey, or the specific models?

Branded Sentey, no not this particular ones, I know those are decent, i just hate the brand

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI B450M Mortan Titanium | Corsair H100i RGB | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16gb 3000Mhz | PNY RTX 2080 XLR8 | EVGA 850W B3 | Crucial MX500 500gb x 2 | NZXT H400 

1 minute ago, PabloSL said:

Branded Sentey, no not this particular ones, I know those are decent, i just hate the brand

You'll find PSUs from any brand that have failed. Generalising by brand doesn't work. 

Just now, seon123 said:

You'll find PSUs from any brand that have failed. Generalising by brand doesn't work. 

Except for Raidmax, Hercules, etc.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I'm fairly sure I can find Raidmax and Hercules PSUs that have failed :P

(Yes, I did understand what you meant)

I know Raidmax has at least one somewhat decent PSU. And you never know, some day, they might decide that they want to sell a rebranded Seasonic Prime. 

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

I'm fairly sure I can find Raidmax and Hercules PSUs that have failed :P

(Yes, I did understand what you meant)

I know Raidmax has at least one somewhat decent PSU. And you never know, some day, they might decide that they want to sell a rebranded Seasonic Prime. 

Yeah well get back to me when someone is willing to risk their expensive testing equipment to find out. Also, what PSU?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Yeah well get back to me when someone is willing to risk their expensive testing equipment to find out. Also, what PSU?

Think it was this one? Probably among the worst performing Titanium units, but it uses good components, and it's DC-DC (making instantly better than the S12/M12 II, and other group regulated stuffs)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=470

Just now, seon123 said:

Think it was this one? Probably among the worst performing Titanium units, but it uses good components, and it's DC-DC (making instantly better than the S12/M12 II, and other group regulated stuffs)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=470

Just gonna leave this $50 RM550x here

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bqVD4D/corsair-rmx-2018-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020177-na

She/they 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Didn't say it makes sense to buy it. Just that they at least sell something that's not a fire hazard. 

Still. $50 RM550x

She/they 

11 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Why can't Europe get nice deals like this? 
I've been on a lookout for a better PSU, but the only viable optios are either Pure Power 11 500W for around €76 or  a ~€100 Straight Power 11/RMx

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, Quadriplegic said:

Why can't Europe get nice deals like this? 

Because its illegal to sell things under manufacturing cost and you are required to make a profit on the stuff you do.

But what people also tend to forget:

US Prices are without VAT/Mehrwertsteuer!

I've been on a lookout for a better PSU, but the only viable optios are either Pure Power 11 500W for around €76 or  a ~€100 Straight Power 11/RMx

You can't have good quality and good price, you can either have good quality or a cheap price.

A really cheap but decent unit is the Xilence Performance X -> low rpm fan without much Motor/Bearing noise, though its made to be chapish...

Price: 58€ right now for the 550W

And if you want it fully modular, Cougar GX-F that's also fairly cheap and pretty nice as well.

And its 76€...

The Pure Power 11/500W should be 62€ but IMO there isn't really a reason to prefer the 11 over the 10...

We're only talking abou 2 Years Warranty and 1% Efficiency or so....

14 hours ago, seon123 said:

Yes sure, but I've seen this ones fail more than any other, well maybe not more than noganet

14 minutes ago, PabloSL said:

Yes sure, but I've seen this ones fail more than any other, well maybe not more than noganet

As I have already said, you can't generalise by brand. 

47 minutes ago, PabloSL said:

maybe because they are more common in your area??

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

-snip-

A really cheap but decent unit is the Xilence Performance X -> low rpm fan without much Motor/Bearing noise, though its made to be chapish...

Price: 58€ right now for the 550W

And if you want it fully modular, Cougar GX-F that's also fairly cheap and pretty nice as well.

And its 76€...

The Pure Power 11/500W should be 62€ but IMO there isn't really a reason to prefer the 11 over the 10...

We're only talking abou 2 Years Warranty and 1% Efficiency or so....

I know, but all I want is being able to find deals on items worth purchasing, not 10% discount on €40 garbage PSUs (talking from my local experience)

I'm trying to stick with local market (Lithuania), as I do not have balls big enough to risk a shipping from another country. I know, stock has to be shipped somehow in the first place, but with my luck, I'd end up with DOA PSU. 

Cougar GX-F is at around €86 at local store, same as 450W Whisper M. In theory, Whisper is more than enough for my current system, but I have no idea what I will do next year, when new CPUs are released (then again, new CPUs will be more efficient...)

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

17 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

My home used to have a communication system that sent signals through the AC lines (very convenient for talking from upstairs to the basement before we all had texting).  Then a Raidmax PSU was plugged into the wall, and the power spikes and feedback it created blew out the whole communication system.  It was also as loud as a small vacuum.  Haven't used a super cheap PSU since.

2 hours ago, VIVO-US said:

My home used to have a communication system that sent signals through the AC lines (very convenient for talking from upstairs to the basement before we all had texting).  Then a Raidmax PSU was plugged into the wall, and the power spikes and feedback it created blew out the whole communication system.  It was also as loud as a small vacuum.  Haven't used a super cheap PSU since.

Should try potato power next time. Heard it's spudtacular.

Hi guys, I was reading some comments and I wanted to know your thoughts about my current PSU since I intend to use it in my next build. 

I want to put together a GTX 1080 and a Ryzen 5 2600X with X470 MoBo. So will my Corsair TX750 V2 be enough for my next build or do I need to consider a newer PSU? 

Greetings fellas! 

2 hours ago, RATX1S said:

Hi guys, I was reading some comments and I wanted to know your thoughts about my current PSU since I intend to use it in my next build. 

I want to put together a GTX 1080 and a Ryzen 5 2600X with X470 MoBo. So will my Corsair TX750 V2 be enough for my next build or do I need to consider a newer PSU? 

Greetings fellas! 

You should replace the PSU as its almost 10 years old and there were some big changes in the last 6 Years or so.

So do not use it and get a modern one.

For example Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M. 550W is more than enough. And as you've seen, moar watt don't give you more future...