PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

12 minutes ago, [insert name here] said:

Also outta curiosity, is it fine to replace PSU fans or is that like a big no no

It is fine as long as you don't care about your warranty and know what you're getting yourself into.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 minutes ago, [insert name here] said:

Also outta curiosity, is it fine to replace PSU fans or is that like a big no no

you can kill yourself if your not careful and you void you warranty. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

13 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It is fine as long as you don't care about your warranty and know what you're getting yourself into.

6 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

you can kill yourself if your not careful and you void you warranty. 

o alright so it's basically a no no

@[insert name here] Have to admit I laughed hahaha

It's tricky to open a PSU and fidget with it. Some PSU's have a system that completely discharges it's capacitors by running the fan, but that is very rare to see nowadays. My current OCZ Fatality 750 Watter does this, bit annoying at night, since the fan has red LEDs, but at least, the PSU is rather quiet.

@STRMfrmXMN That thing on the /better not overclock everything/ made me think a bit now.

If the readings from my motherboard and HWiNFO64 are "anywhere" near accurate, my 1700 at 3.9/1.38V draws about 200W of power. Adding my current GTX 980 that I've seen peaking into the high 190's makes me a bit worried, but at the same time, tells me I /could/ run this with a high grade 650W.

Running realbench on this for a while made my current PSU a bit toasty, whew, I can definitely feel a few degrees hotter inside my room.

At least, we're having a fairly cold day today and the little bit of heating helps. xD

3 hours ago, KuroiHane said:

@STRMfrmXMN @awesomegamer919 @Stefan Payne Thanks for the Replies!

I /really/ wouldn't mind going to the 170 or 190 range here. I was going to pay near 220 for a RM750x (That's the price of that PSU here...nothing I can do)

I just want good, reliable and stable PSU principally under hot conditions. So, more connectors, better warranty and so on should be on the plus side. (If things blows up, I can recur on sending the PSU to RMA in USA)

This should describe my entire hardware as of now and what I'm doing with it. Of course, I plan on upgrading to a new GPU, maybe Nvidia or AMD's next gen as the 1xxx series are near it's end and the Vega...well, it's a Vega.

I did look at Amazon a while ago and found the 750W Prime Titanium for 169, really pondering about it right now.

EDIT: Also, a smaller PSU would be better. As much as the RM750x is a good choice, I found out I'd need to push my HD Drive cages further in my case to fit that PSU properly (Corsair Carbide 400C).

A good 550/650W would be fine for your PC (Unless you are running SLI, not sure if that site can tell), a FOCUS PLUS Gold 550w would be fine: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bkp323/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fx

If not, get the 750 FOCUS PLUS I linked above, it's a plenty good enough units at a fairly low cost...

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

On 10/15/2017 at 5:35 PM, Stefan Payne said:

I have a 750W CWT GPS and I'm quite frankly kinda disapointed.

I doubt the manufacturer requested many changes but the Plattform isn't great at all.

The Problems I have is high electronics noise under higher load, low Capacitance on +12V.

But Fan Controller is great, though useless because (Hong Hua) Fan is shit...

And lets not talk about capacitors...

I don't have anything against CapXon, I'd also live with AsiaX and JunFu...

But I don't know what I should say about the ChengX that were inside....

The Deepcool DQ550ST has a Deepcool fan, and Elite, Aishi, and Teapo are used for caps. I'm not sure what you mean by 12V capacitance, either.

Just now, turkey3_scratch said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 12V capacitance, either.

Value of all caps on +12V combined...
That should do something against some load changes...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Value of all caps on +12V combined...
That should do something against some load changes...

You mean transient response?

9 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

You mean transient response?

Yes.

And also that can prevent the PSU from resonating with the components and doing some weird stuff. 

So having something like 10mF on +12V isn't a bad idea (and many modern PSU are in this region)...

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

Yes.

And also that can prevent the PSU from resonating with the components and doing some weird stuff. 

So having something like 10mF on +12V isn't a bad idea (and many modern PSU are in this region)...

Are these capacitors you speak of the same as the ripple filtering ones?

1 hour ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Are these capacitors you speak of the same as the ripple filtering ones?

Yes, kida

But the question is if they are for filtering or buffer caps...

5 minutes ago, adham. said:

What about Bitfeinx  BPA ?

Seems to be a "lower-end" market competitor.  Guess it just depends on what you're powering. Can't really find much info about it.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

45 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Looks like a tier 6 unit. Apparently the same platform as the Cooler Master B2, Corsair VS and Thermaltake Smart SE

http://www.orionpsudb.com/news/bitfenix-expands-into-lower-end-market-with-bpa-and-dc-dc-bfb-series

Nice find

@STRMfrmXMN @jonnyGURU @JDE Hey dudes! I have a question for you guys!

I found out there are different models of the PSU I own right now. 

The model I have is this one: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ocz-fatal1ty-750-w-power-supply-review/

And the model I can really find any other reviews is this one: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/ocz-fatal1ty-750-watt-psu-review,1.html

Do you guys think there's any major differences between those? From what I noticed (just looking quickly) the model I have is the only one with 4 different 12V rails, while the other model and the seemingly newer model reviewed by @jonnyGURU, being the FirePro one, has just 1 rail.

What tier would my PSU fall in? 6? Untiered? xD

21 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Nice find

Love how you actually updated the list and inserted the BPA into Tier 6.
Nice job dude.

@adham. Yeah, they did. But that was...well, most likely old stuff, I had a OCZ StealthXStream 500W, great little PSU, really, it was silent and not so expensive, it was also recommended by the same site (hardwaresecrets), same as that Fatality 750 one.

18 minutes ago, adham. said:

OCZ made PSUs ? 
Damn what rock did i slept under..

Yeah and they also bought those "nice guys" from PC Power and Cooling who are one of the culprits for this Single Rail bullshit.

They were made by various manufacturers like Sirfa and later they were made almost exclusively by Great Wall.

They were somewhat OKish, nothing to write home about. Some were better, some were not.

Either way, it's not a bad idea to replace them due to age.

@STRMfrmXMN say, why was the NEX bumped back down to T4?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

@STRMfrmXMN say, why was the NEX bumped back down to T4?

It's group-regulated and has poor voltage regulation

@Stefan Payne Yeah, I know that. It's the main reason I want to get another PSU.

I'll probably get myself a Seasonic 750W Focus Gold, rather cheap, fully modular and all.

This little OCZ unit has been running for a good 5 years now, that's plenty enough for me. I've ever dared to run 2 GPUs on it (HD 6870 and GTX 460), did some testing for mining back in 2013.

Looks like a tier 5, also they stopped selling the EVGA b2 and that makes me sad. Good thing the CX_50M series exists

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-438-130

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

18 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

they stopped selling the EVGA b2 and that makes me sad

But why

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128