PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

At least it adds another LetterNumber to their already convoluted product stack!!

still waiting for EVGA BS(80+ bronze seasonic) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Seriously? Third unit that failed OPP test.

That's why I say that overload tests and protections of a PSU are the most important ones, everything else is secondary.

Only when the protections are working you can look at voltage regulation and noise.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

EVGA won't give an official response but if they do it'll probably be something generic like:

"Our engineers pride themselves in developing EVGA power supplies to meet the needs and standards of the consumer. If the product fails to meet the expectations of the consumer it is backed by EVGA's proud 5-year warranty. The power supplies go through intensive screening processes that ensures their proper operation before they reach the consumer. As the industry leader, we uphold a level of customer service that exceeds the expectations of the customer. Our determination to prepare a dependable finalized product and unwavering service ensures that the consumer and power supply are both within maximally safe bounds.

Sincerely, EVGA PSU Department"

How good are the Cooler Master MWE PSUs? My friend wants to buy a 650w one, and it's apparently $20 cheaper than a CX650M.

i7-12700k | MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 | 2x16GB Team Group DDR4-3200CL14 | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | EVGA FTW3 2070 SUPER | 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM | Fractal Design Meshify C

19 minutes ago, idiot42 said:

How good are the Cooler Master MWE PSUs? My friend wants to buy a 650w one, and it's apparently $20 cheaper than a CX650M.

http://www.expreview.com/56771-all.html

Google Translate is rough but it seems a decent CXM competitor. Three year warranty and a better fan with apparently similar electrical performance.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Since when S12II is Tier 4?
Should go to Tier 2.. ( Basically the same performance as EVGA G2/G3 just usually not modular ).

1 minute ago, Exaco said:

Should go to Tier 2.. ( Basically the same performance as EVGA G2/G3 just usually not modular ).

No, it's an old, group regulated design, far ways off from the G2/G3. And it lacks protections on 12V (afaik?)

:)

1 hour ago, Exaco said:

Lol what? You got any evidence to back that up? The S12 is a very old group-regulated unit. It literally cannot be anywhere near as good as a G3 by design.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 11/7/2017 at 10:40 PM, turkey3_scratch said:

EVGA won't give an official response but if they do it'll probably be something generic like:

"Our engineers pride themselves in developing EVGA power supplies to meet the needs and standards of the consumer. If the product fails to meet the expectations of the consumer it is backed by EVGA's proud 5-year warranty. The power supplies go through intensive screening processes that ensures their proper operation before they reach the consumer. As the industry leader, we uphold a level of customer service that exceeds the expectations of the customer. Our determination to prepare a dependable finalized product and unwavering service ensures that the consumer and power supply are both within maximally safe bounds.

Sincerely, EVGA PSU Department"

In sincerely wonder what the world would be like if companies were completely upfront about everything..... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, Exaco said:

That's not true, modularity IS NOT considered in this list. The Corsair Vengence (de exclusive) comes in non-modular flavours, yet is tier 1. The EVGA GS is fully modular, and yet is still a tier 2.

5 hours ago, Exaco said:

No, just no.

S12II is an old, group regulated unit without working protection on the secondary side wich makes it a bad unit. Even if voltage regulation might seem OK in tests, it is not. 

You can force the voltages to go outside the spec, if you load the PSU inside the spec.

Also you can kill it potentially with load due to lack of protection. And in worst case scenarios more than the PSU.

And also the unit tends to get really realy loud quite early...

But that's not the worst part. That's the price!
Because for the same amount of money you can get better protected units that are independently regulated and thus not dependently like the S12II is. And also less noisy under load conditions.

In short:
There is just no reason to buy it anymore in this day and age!
There are either better options available from the Competition or similar things that are cheaper (and better protected)...

Why bother with an ~8 Year old unit?!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, just no.

S12II is an old, group regulated unit without working protection on the secondary side wich makes it a bad unit. Even if voltage regulation might seem OK in tests, it is not. 

You can force the voltages to go outside the spec, if you load the PSU inside the spec.

Also you can kill it potentially with load due to lack of protection. And in worst case scenarios more than the PSU.

And also the unit tends to get really realy loud quite early...

But that's not the worst part. That's the price!
Because for the same amount of money you can get better protected units that are independently regulated and thus not dependently like the S12II is. And also less noisy under load conditions.

In short:
There is just no reason to buy it anymore in this day and age!
There are either better options available from the Competition or similar things that are cheaper (and better protected)...

Why bother with an ~8 Year old unit?!

Make a copypasta of this please :P

Seriously though, a new thread should be created for this. It's gotten old explaining that standards have changed.

Seriously though, a new thread should be created for this. It's gotten old explaining that standards have changed.

+1, we need a PSA for this, lots of guys still think it's great :S

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

On 11/8/2017 at 10:39 AM, ZM Fong said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-750-b3-power-supply,5229.html

Seriously? Third unit that failed OPP test.

Ok. That shouldn't be happening-when overloading the "500W" (400W sustained) PSU that came with my Thermaltake case it would shut off, and allow me to turn the computer back on after a short while, with no damage at all.

Edit: My aunt has an older version of that PSU, rated at 420W peak (again 400W actual), and its been going for 6-7 years at least without any problems.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

How is the Fractal Integra SFX 450W? The one that comes with the Node 202

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

How is the Fractal Integra SFX 450W? The one that comes with the Node 202

Bad

I think I've noted like three or four different instances of that PSU causing people issues, one of them being AMD Paul's (iAmApropos). 

Bad

I think I've noted like three or four different instances of that PSU causing people issues, one of them being AMD Paul's (iAmApropos). 

Thanks. Are there no proper reviews of the PSU?

Just now, seon123 said:

Thanks. Are there no proper reviews of the PSU?

Not that I can find.

Lol I Google reviews for it and found a forum thread someone made in March of last year where I pointed out basically verbatim what I said in the comment I made above xD

16 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Maybe create a disclaimer on the front? Probably would be pretty simple to do.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, merlain10 said:

is XFX 650W XTR Full Modular 80+ Gold 

tier 1 o 2?

t2. don't use such a big text 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

11 minutes ago, merlain10 said:

is XFX 650W XTR Full Modular 80+ Gold 

tier 1 o 2?

THat PSu happENs to be A TieR 2 UnIt

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

THat PSu happENs to be A TieR 2 UnIt

stop it don't be that person

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs