Will my i5-4670K build bottleneck a GTX 1080?

Urgh, so much misinformation everywhere!

Bottlenecking is not a system wide thing, it depends on what you're doing. Just because one game has a bottlenecking condition, doesn't mean the entire system will! That's like saying a drag race car is better car no questions asked than a Nissan GTR simply because it can beat the GTR in a drag race, neverminding that the GTR will kill said drag car if a turn is involved.

Profile what your system looks like during the games you run. That video claims an i5-4690K will bottleneck a GTX 1070 in Crysis 3? Huh, I ran Crysis 3 and managed to cap my GTX 980 with a CPU load of 65% on average using a i5-4670K.

Please note that unless your CPU is consistently high, you do not have a bottleneck.

41 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Not really: room temp for me is sadly almost 30c >:(

And yes Novigrad sees dips into mid to high 50s but only for a few moments at worst.

so i've tried it myself.. 

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Urgh, so much misinformation everywhere!

Bottlenecking is not a system wide thing, it depends on what you're doing. Just because one game has a bottlenecking condition, doesn't mean the entire system will! That's like saying a drag race car is better car no questions asked than a Nissan GTR simply because it can beat the GTR in a drag race, neverminding that the GTR will kill said drag car if a turn is involved.

Profile what your system looks like during the games you run. That video claims an i5-4690K will bottleneck a GTX 1070 in Crysis 3? Huh, I ran Crysis 3 and managed to cap my GTX 980 with a CPU load of 65% on average using a i5-4670K.

Please note that unless your CPU is consistently high, you do not have a bottleneck.

Not sure if highlight was a grim joke or not.

And agreed.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

You can see in Novigrad there's a few seconds on the entrance and near the main square where you get to 100% utilization but it's mostly not being really hammered and consistently at 60 FPS without stuttering. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, App4that said:

Have you experienced a bottleneck? The GPU doesn't matter, you could have Titan X SLI and you're still getting hammered by fps dips that break immersion.

I'm thinking about doing a comparison video with my i5 4440 at a 104-105MHz BCLK, and then my 4790K limited to the same maximum frequency. I already know that my GTX 970 G1 Gaming at 1429MHz was bottlenecked in newer games, while with my 4790K its never bottlenecked.

For everyone else BTW, my Xeon X5450 @ 4.4GHz got the same maximum and average frame rates as when I used my i5 4440 and 4790K, and that doesn't mean that I shouldn't have paid attention to the GPU usage not being 100%, the low minimums and poor frame times.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Since i was brought into this thread and coversation. ...sorry out in vacation and typing this on my phone...but i am personally upgrading from my i5 4690k to the i7 6700k due to this issue i have personally tested and experienced with cpu usage at 100%. During this, i never personally felt any type of stutter, micro or otherwise. I am upgrading only because i do not personally like a game maxxing out my cpu usage that can cause the stutter from dropped frames as a result. For 99% of games an i5 is without question fine and sufficient. We will need to see how heavy ai type games such as TW3 react if they push a d12 update to it. Only time will tell, but this is likely the beginning of the end of the i5 mainstream gaming era in my honest..and humbled..opinion.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If you're playing at 1080p yes, if you're playing at 4K no. Depends on the game as well.

On 7/22/2016 at 7:22 PM, SanjayP said:

Hey LTT community I was thinking about upgrading my Asus Direct CUII GTX 780 that i bought two years ago for either single or SLI GTX 1080's. Will my i5-4670k, Z87 PRO and RM 750 be able to handle them? Any responses would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Your monitor is going to be the bottleneck on that gpu. It's going to be an enormous bottleneck.

Yes. But it's hugely dependent on the game. League of Legends, for example, will be hugely bottlenecked by your cpu, but it doesn't matter because you get more than playable framerates. Grand Theft Auto, on the other hand, will be bottlenecked so hard by your cpu, that it's almost unplayable (if you are sensitive to low framerates like me). Who can you blame? Intel for refusing to give us big performance gains from generation to generation, and AMD for making garbage. 

Just now, Repost said:

Yes. But it's hugely dependent on the game. League of Legends, for example, will be hugely bottlenecked by your cpu, but it doesn't matter because you get more than playable framerates. Grand Theft Auto, on the other hand, will be bottlenecked so hard by your cpu, that it's almost unplayable (if you are sensitive to low framerates like me). Who can you blame? Intel for refusing to give us big performance gains from generation to generation, and AMD for making garbage. 

AMD for not holding their end of the bargain.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

GPU not being at 100% while the CPU is does not indicate a bottleneck. If the GPU is rendering every frame that it can it simply will not do more work. GTA V has a LOT of AI and your CPU is dedicating all of it's power to it as reserved.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Your i5 4670K will be perfectly fine.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

lmao. Bottleneck is one of the most misused and misunderstood terms in the PC hobby. Terms that need to go:

Bottleneck

Investment (a PC isnt an investment)

Budget (well this one just needs to be used correctly as in listing the budget. Stop using it to describe low cost items)

Sorry for the rant :)

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

1 hour ago, weez said:

lmao. Bottleneck is one of the most misused and misunderstood terms in the PC hobby. Terms that need to go:

Bottleneck

Investment (a PC isnt an investment)

Budget (well this one just needs to be used correctly as in listing the budget. Stop using it to describe low cost items)

Sorry for the rant :)

A PC is an investment if its critical for your job.

Bottleneck, quite an apt description for what happens with the correct (or wrong) combination of hardware:

bottleneck
ˈbɒt(ə)lnɛk/
noun

1. 1.
    the neck or mouth of a bottle.
  2. 2.
    a narrow section of road or a junction that impedes traffic flow.
    "the bottleneck on Talbot Road"
    synonyms: traffic jam, jam, congestion, hold-up, gridlock, queue, tailback; 
    informalsnarl-up
    "cars were advised to avoid the bottleneck on Talbot Road"

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

A PC is an investment if its critical for your job.

Bottleneck, quite an apt description for what happens with the correct (or wrong) combination of hardware:

I said misused and misunderstood terms. Bottleneck gets thrown out there way to often and is misused way too often by people that do not fully understand whats going on. And how many people on this or other forums use their PC for work? Again, investment is often misused. Most people on forums are PC hobbyist. Saying a PC is an investment is misuse of the word, most of the time. None of the electronics I have will ever get me more money then I spent on them. And this is true for most people. PC's and other electronics are not an investment, most of the time. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

On 7/22/2016 at 7:49 PM, Technicolors said:

Can I ask what you used to record your video, and which settings? Because I have a 1070, and I tried recording AC Syndicate, and FPS dropped by about 20 - 25 using Afterburner's video capture.

Btw, this is my Witcher 3 Novigrad performance on my i5 2500K @ 4.6 Ghz, with GTX 1070 SC (2113 clock / 4581 mem):

Witcher 3 Novigard.jpg

Regarding the subject of bottlenecking... I think that a bottleneck means something when it degrades performance tangibly. If an i5 might be bottlenecking by 5%, in 5% of gaming situations, I don't consider that to be significant to the decision of whether to buy a certain graphics card or not. And I think calling something bottlenecking when it isn't even impacting that much of gaming is kind of inane, because it isn't accurately communicating what the value of any performance decrease is.

For example, if a person chooses to buy a 1060 instead of a 1070 because they're told the 1070 bottlenecks their i5, when it might not even be a 3% bottleneck across their whole gaming experience... then I think that person would have been misled, and made a purchase decision based upon incomplete information. Maybe when a bottleneck is present in 40%+ of games played, and is by 10%+ performance in those 40% of games played, then that would be notable performance that was paid for and isn't being accessed. But it looks like most decent i5s, including my i5 2500K @ 4.6 Ghz, aren't experiencing any tangible kind of bottleneck with a GTX 1070 (other than in Arma 3, lol).

Also, my particular GTX 1070 is overclocked a lot, getting around 10.5% added FPS performance over its default EVGA Superclocked configuration, and if it were a stock 1070 (though, with GPU boost, is there really such thing as a stock 1070?), there would be more safe distance before I started losing GPU performance.

It looks like i5s are really starting to meet their limits in some things with high performance GPUs, but that they're generally still competent for high performance GPUs. Maybe the true line-crossing will be with the Titan X and 1080ti.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

Snip

If you're using Nvidia, Shadowplay is great.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

If you're using Nvidia, Shadowplay is great.

I'll try it out. I hope it has little impact on FPS.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Bottlenecking isn't a black and white thing. Bottlenecking all depends on the game and graphical settings and if you graphical and performance goals are met then its pointless. Even a i7 6950X is capable of bottlenecking a GTX 1080 depending on the game.

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Btw, this is my Witcher 3 Novigrad performance on my i5 2500K @ 4.6 Ghz, with GTX 1070 SC (2113 clock / 4581 mem):

Witcher 3 Novigard.jpg

that thread is FULL of bullshit...the i5-4670K EVEN AT STOCK is PLENTY for even a GTX 1080 at 1440p...of course if you're trying to lock a 144FPS at 1080p on that it ain't happening (and it's not happening on the i7 EITHER)

^^ we can see from that post that this guy has his GPU PINNED at 99% usage across the board in the most demanding portion of the witcher 3...so this is a WORST CASE SCENARIO and even then he is using a 4 generation old i5-2500K and the GPU is PINNED across the board which put this to rest...NO the modern core i5 haswell chip WILL NOT limit your gaming experience in any way shape or form... @SanjayP your CPU is fine...just get yourself the GTX 1080 and a 4K or 1440p monitor and you'll be amazed by what it can do in games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR