Will my i5-4670K build bottleneck a GTX 1080?

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

I can't control that one experience is better than the other, for the price it better be. You're asking not to call a 750ti inferior to a RX 480, does that make sense?

That's probably the most dishonest analogy I've seen: you have 0 evidence to assume an i5 is comparably inferior to an i7 when relating it to the 750ti vs the RX480 since at the suggested resolutions, there's little to no difference at all in performance for gaming, watch the video please.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I think this is the best video to prove the difference between i5 and i7:

Frametimes + Framerates are vastly in favor of the i7.

We're talking about the 4690K and 4790K, aren't we?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Anyway...here is the video. Not fully processed so the resolution of the video looks lower but you can see my settings and my performance already:

wow, that founders cards is pretty hot

anyway, i'm getting those sorts of numbers as well. but try walking through novigrad next, as that area is a bit more cpu-heavy 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

We're talking about the 4690K and 4790K, aren't we?

Substract 8-10% of performance, and here you go.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Misanthrope said:

That's probably the worst straw man I've seen: you have 0 evidence to assume an i5 is comparably inferior to an i7 when relating it to the 750ti vs the RX480 since at the suggested resolutions, there's little to no difference at all in performance for gaming, watch the video please.

Yes, watch the professionally made video please. And please, if you're going to use fallacies make sure you have the right one.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

wow, that founders cards is pretty hot

anyway, i'm getting those sorts of numbers as well. but try walking through novigrad next, as that area is a bit more cpu-heavy 

Not really: room temp for me is sadly almost 30c >:(

And yes Novigrad sees dips into mid to high 50s but only for a few moments at worst.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yes, no one is arguing against the unlocked i5 being an excellent value. The point I've been trying to make is the i7 offer the ability to use your other investments to the fullest. If you don't want to spend the extra money (cost me 80 bucks after I sold my 4690k to buy a 4790k) then you have to accept the effect that has on your experience. If you're fine with that, you'll get no argument from me. But don't lie about the benefits of a i7 is all I ask.

Looking at these benchmarks, the difference in the i5 and i7 will hold back any card. That's kind of what a CPU bottleneck means. There's no question that a better GPU will still be a better experience than an inferior GPU with lower graphics settings.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Looking at these benchmarks, the difference in the i5 and i7 will hold back any card. That's kind of what a CPU bottleneck means. There's no question that a better GPU will still be a better experience than an inferior GPU with lower graphics settings.

Have you experienced a bottleneck? The GPU doesn't matter, you could have Titan X SLI and you're still getting hammered by fps dips that break immersion.

Just now, App4that said:

Have you experienced a bottleneck? The GPU doesn't matter, you could have Titan X SLI and you're still getting hammered by fps dips that break immersion.

That's my point. The GPU doesn't matter. You're the one going on about air conditioning and BMWs.

So, how do I bottleneck my 1070? Because I don't even have a high end i5 I have a lousy fucking 4440 and none of the cores are maxed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So, how do I bottleneck my 1070? Because I don't even have a high end i5 I have a lousy fucking 4440 and none of the cores are maxed.

4440? Damn, you're old! Just kidding.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

9 minutes ago, SSL said:

That's my point. The GPU doesn't matter. You're the one going on about air conditioning and BMWs.

Um yes, the air conditioning not being present ruining an otherwise enjoyable experience. An i5 causes a bottleneck when paired with a high end graphics card, breaking the otherwise enjoyable experience when that happens.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Um yes, the air conditioning not being present ruining an otherwise enjoyable experience. An i5 causes a bottleneck when paired with a high end graphics card, breaking the otherwise enjoyable experience when that happens.

The card is not being bottlenecked by the CPU if you're getting 10 frames less and fairly good usage.

Oh and remember to replace the blinker fluid in your Bimmer!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, App4that said:

And that experience will still be more enjoyable than a lower-tier GPU that can't even hit 60fps.

You're like those people who argue there's no point in getting high-end headphones to listen to mp3s. Sure, there's a bottleneck, and yeah, it makes sense to get the best equipment possible. Your argument falls apart when it becomes obvious that you're confusing your standards of "enjoyable experience" with the reality of relative performance.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Is the game's programming in your equation? Some are poorly programmed with calls being directed to the less effective component.

Oh and remember to replace the blinker fluid in your Bimmer!

Does it matter? If you don't mind fps dips and stuttering then by all means run a i5 and high end graphics card. I'm sure you can even convince yourself you don't have a problem, that has sold consoles for years. If you want a butter smooth experience regardless, get a i7.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

And that experience will still be more enjoyable than a lower-tier GPU that can't even hit 60fps.

You're like those people who argue there's no point in getting high-end headphones to listen to mp3s. Sure, there's a bottleneck, and yeah, it makes sense to get the best equipment possible. Your argument falls apart when it becomes obvious that you're confusing your standards of "enjoyable experience" with the reality of relative performance.

The only one stuck on being right here, is you guys. I've repeatedly said it's subjective and to do what you want. But the issue is there, and proof has been posted. The value of solving the problem is up to the Original Poster.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Does it matter? If you don't mind fps dips and stuttering then by all means run a i5 and high end graphics card. I'm sure you can even convince yourself you don't have a problem, that has sold consoles for years. If you want a butter smooth experience regardless, get a i7.

Dips are rare and stuttering is just not present. Even that is basically a myth as well unless again, you go back to the very specific usage case of 1080p at 120hz or 144hz.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hey guys sorry i didn't want to start a salt mine lol. I just wanted to see if it would be using my older CPU would have a noticeable affect when using the GTX 1080 on 1440p or 4k displays. If it is like <7% performance degradation ill probably hold off buying a new CPU. 

CPU: i5-4670k | CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | MOBO: Asus Z87 PRO | RAM: Corsair G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3-1600 MHz | GPU: Asus Direct CUII GTX 780| StorageSamsung 840 EVO 120GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM750 Case: Corsair 450D | OS: Windows 10 64 bit  | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G502 Speakers: Astro A40 w/Mixamp  | Monitor: Asus VN248H-P 23" IPS 5ms

Laptop: Lenovo Y700 i7-6700HQ, 8GB RAM, GTX 960m, 256GB M.2 SSD 

Just now, App4that said:

If you're playing at 60 fps with V Sync, so long as your minimum is well above your threshold, you're not seeing a bottleneck. What you're seeing is literally the max your components can put out collectively.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Dips are rare and stuttering is just not present. Even that is basically a myth as well unless again, you go back to the very specific usage case of 1080p at 120hz or 144hz.

Believe what you want, evidence that contradicts your beliefs has been posted.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Believe what you want, evidence that contradicts you beliefs has been posted.

Where is said evidence? Show stuttering at 1440p please. So far the videos posted here are actually NOT related to 1440p or 4k as the OP clarified I am basically the only one who took the time to upload a video so please remember that before you tell me about evidence.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Where is said evidence? Show stuttering at 1440p please. So far the videos posted here are actually NOT related to 1440p or 4k as the OP clarified I am basically the only one who took the time to upload a video so please remember that before you tell me about evidence.

Are you a professional? Do you have the manufacturer backing Digital foundry does? No.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-fallout-4-4023

Yes. Yes you can. But it won't bottleneck in all games. Only in high cpu usage games like GTA 5. 

Honestly. Those videos can't be used as a perfect comparison since those test systems are running on a perfect condition with nearly 0 background tasks. An average user will have multiple apps running in the background. This will take up CPU usage. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, App4that said:

Are you a professional? Do you have the manufacturer backing Digital foundry does? No.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-fallout-4-4023

No but I posted something related to the discussion. You just posted an article talking about 1080p something which we have CONSTANTLY MAINTAINED IS A BOTTLENECK.

Now go on and change the subject to some sort of excuse like the "experience" or whatever. The rest of us arrived at a conclusion: no significant bottleneck or degradation at 1440p or 4k which is what the OP wants, laters.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

No but I posted something related to the discussion. You just posted an article talking about 1080p something which we have CONSTANTLY MAINTAINED IS A BOTTLENECK.

Now go on and change the subject to some sort of excuse like the "experience" or whatever. The rest of us arrived at a conclusion: no significant bottleneck or degradation at 1440p or 4k which is what the OP wants, laters.

I don't think you understand how resolution works.