Best deal you ever got on computer parts?

GamerGuyEbby

Umm free 1.5TB drive, free 1TB drive, free 500Gb drive, free monitor (it's a 4:3 one but it has an usb hub and nice as a secondary one, it derped in the beginning but it's fine now) 32 bucks for a brand new tablet, 25 bucks for a brand new phone (both were from a cheapo brand but it's quite good).

Free blu-ray sata drive, no idea how i got it tbh, it was suddenly in my closet of pc stuff, awesome thing tho :D

And i got my i5 notebook with a 610M i use for school for 350 euros :P It wasn't new but there were like 0 marks on it, if you told me it was new i would believe it, perfect condition.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

19 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

a community garage sale is not necessarily a charity.  More likely it's just a bunch of neighbors who got together to sell their junk.  The original owner of the PC is probably pissed that the organizer let it go for $20.  

That doesn't even make sense. OP claims people donated their stuff for this garage sale, who are they donating to if not a charity? At the very least the procedes would go towards some community project or something.

More likely though, none of this happened.

3tb wd green for $80 a pop

and that, is how my dad has 12tb of storage and i have ~10. ;) 

also i went from a $200 760 to a $200 380 (4gb)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

12 hours ago, Go_On_Shadow said:

$70 for a gtx 560 ti classified

depends WHEN you bought it ... if it's recently, then it's not that good of a deal!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

7 minutes ago, ninninon said:

In the UK it sadly is... 

that's just sad, those are around $40 (CAD) locally (at least for me!)

I PC with an 3770k with an AIO liquid cooler (owner never overclocked for some reason), 16gb of ram, gtx 660ti along with a monitor and a mechanical keyboard for 600$ CAD 

This was found on Kijiji, the crazy thing was my offer was the highest!

2 years ago I got 4gb of ram, an i3 540 and an ASUS p7h55-m lx board with PSU, 500gb and case in exchange for 2 pentium 4 computers I got for free, a PC with a dual core and 2gb of ram , a couple 200gb ATA HDDS as well as 200w PSU's. Deal was all I said before and 1 hour of labour at theyre tech store as well as me picking the parts for the build and building it. So abour 40€ worth of crap and more or less 5 hours of work to get the pc's for a PC Im about to sell for 300€ (added a GTX 660, SSD and 8gb of ram)

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

18 hours ago, Xizerz said:

I got a 1tb hardbdrive for free

100% off lol

Free storage is always nice!

I got 4x 500GB Wester Digital 7200RPM for free! :D

Using 1 in my gaming rig, 2 in my NAS and the 4th one died not long after I got it.

i think my best deal was getting a 300 euro refund for a 2 year and 9 months old gtx 680 with a busted fan and buying a rx480 for it 

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

I had an interesting experience with somebody from Craigslist, and felt I should share it. And I encourage you guys to share any good stories you guys may have.

So I saw this awesome AMD chip for about 1/3 the price of new, emailed the guy and found out we only lived a mile from each other. Small world am I right?

So the following day we decide to just meetup at this fountain, a nice and open public place for obvious reasons. I see somebody matching his description, I introduce myself and so on.

When I ask "Do you have the CPU in your car or something?", he does more or less the unthinkable.

He reaches into the same pocket his phone is in, and pulls out the CPU, completely bare and not even in a package. It was just loosely floating in his jeans, and he holds it out to me, with the pins facing up.

Now, as somebody who's incredibly anal-retentive about taking care of hardware (I've been gaming on the same laptop for 8 years)... I was mortified at what I saw. A good half of the pins were either bent or broken clean off, and there was what I could only described as the result of a thermal paste BBQ on the opposite side. Either that or something's soul died there, because it looked like some sort of evil black stain on the cooler-side. So I admit I may have lost my cool and chewed him out for destroying what would sell new for $300+~, a pretty high end CPU. He walked away legitimately confused about what the problem was no matter how many times I described it to him.

I think he just ripped it out of a stolen computer or something. I mean, come on.

Any of you guys have any good stories about buying used hardware? Any other great tech stories are welcome.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

So basically every so often I scroll through gumtree (Australian used online marketplace) looking for deals and I come across this ad saying that they were selling 12 Lenovo IBM desktops, 2 Optiplex's and a few other pretty decent computers for about $150 AUD, which is an absolute bargain. Counting it up I figured that if I refurbished those desktops I would get a pretty good $500 AUD net profit off them. Well, I went to pick them up and I didn't notice at first so after I paid the guy, loaded the lot into my car and drove home, I realised that they were left in an unsealed dusty roof space, no not the attic Americans have, it's just literally the space between the ceiling insulation and roof tiles. so basically the first thing I did was pop all of them open and I swear I have never seen so much dust caked up in one spot before. It was as if the guy had used the desktops as a dustpan from sweeping the floor for a decade. Well, let's just say it took me about 5 bags full of dust before I could even get the desktops into an air compressor cleaning state. As it turns out the desktops worked fine (phew) and I managed to make around $650 net profit off the sale of them. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Paid about $150 for my 780

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I paid €1.50 for a sapphire HD 5770

and €36.50 for a Msi R6970 lightning edition (the guy who sold it thought it was broken cuz he couldn't find the drivers)

2x Zeeksys 120gb ssd €16.50 per piece from Aliexpress (the seller put it on there for the wrong price, the day after I bought it the price was €60 per)

I got a 2500k, motherboard, 16GB of RAM 600W PSU and GTX760 all for free. 90% of my current system cost less than the remaining 10%.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I got a cooler master gx450 psu from a thrift store brand new for 5 bux.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Hard to decide as I'm always scavenging :P 

But the two at least subjectively I value the most are two ebays:

- FX-9370 + H80i for €160, both new (sealed CPU box, cooler open but pre-applied TIM still there), from some guy.

- Corsair Carbide 500R for € 40 (+€5 shipping) from a retailer, due to a dent in the right panel. The dent was visible in the picture, not a big deal I thought, the case was brand new, probably transportation damage. But when I got it, I found no signs of the dent. Not even a trace that it was there but got "un-dented" from another bump or something. I won't exactly complain about it... 9_9

Honorary mentions would go to a used SeaSonic M12 SS-500HM for €16 (+7, so €23), really nice, too bad I go for global warming hardware so often :P but it's still my backup, and a used Cooler Master V10 for €25.50 (+7, so €32.5). Not the greatest cooler, but I wanted to see it in action, and it's too old and overpriced to consider getting it new.

I just bought an Intel Core i5-760 for $35 at my job.

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

I just bought an Intel Core i5-760 for $35 at my job.

You willing to ship it? its 1156 right?

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, Julian5 said:

You willing to ship it? its 1156 right?

I'm going to make a build out of it.  We have just a box of used processors, all have been tested from what I was told.

I just got a free flawless Asus Rog Swift PG278Q ......

Well, not really free cos I had to give my buggered up one back.

Linus is my fetish.

Um..Kinda got a free GTX 970 from OCUK. I originally cancelled my order and they didn't charge me for it but the card still turned up a day later ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Traded my msi 970 for a msi 390x..
Craziest part is, I got on the forums later that day and the guy I'd traded with had posted about it on here.

Not a huge steal, but it benefited both of us for our use cases.

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k