Microsoft officially acknowledges request for Pokemon Go on Windows 10

AlTech
Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Well I don't see a reason why it can't use Google Maps API.

AND that's really bad programming if it requires Google Maps API. it should be flexible and allow whatever is available for the platform.

Cause google does't want it's stuff on WP

Funny that that is coming from someone who supports UWP

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Windows Phone would be nice..

My friend has wanted to go out and catch pokemon when he was a kid, and now he's much older,...his WinPhone obviously won't do it.

Also..Data consumption

Not really bad...like at all, In 5 days, evening time, 1.5 hours here n there (4 last night roaming around busy as in game), I've used a total of 280Mb of Data with 4G in that 5 days.

It's not that intensive on anything but your battery.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

28 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Besides they could use Microsoft's maps API and software.

Then it would not be Pokémon Go. It would be a Pokémon Go knockoff. It takes a lot of data from Google Maps to determine a lot of different things. Change the seed used to create the world and you will also change the game world. Pokémon Go pulling data from Bing maps would not align with the Pokémon Go world pulling data from Google maps, and they would therefore be incompatible. 

Just now, LAwLz said:

Then it would not be Pokémon Go. It would be a Pokémon Go knockoff. It takes a lot of data from Google Maps to determine a lot of different things. Change the seed used to create the world and you will also change the game world. Pokémon Go pulling data from Bing maps would not align with the Pokémon Go world pulling data from Google maps, and they would therefore be incompatible. 

Well I mean it's possible that they could use Google Maps.

20 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well I don't see a reason why it can't use Google Maps API.

AND that's really bad programming if it requires Google Maps API. it should be flexible and allow whatever is available for the platform.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, ModuleLFS said:

Regardless, I'm not getting sucked in pekoman bandwagon.

Saw you on another thread claiming "not to use facebook"

I bet you don't vape either! And you don't go out on snowy days because there's only room for one snowflake!

(The Facebook one was valid though I'll give you that)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Just now, That Norwegian Guy said:

Saw you on another thread claiming "not to use facebook"

I bet you don't vape either! And you don't go out on snowy days because there's only room for one snowflake!

(The Facebook one was valid though I'll give you that)

Welcome to the "I don't use Facebook" club.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I've can't be the only person on the planet who doesn't care about Pokémon Go, can I?

High-five bro, for I've found my comrade

Also I'm having an image of some people carrying big laptops for pokemon go in the middle of the street and I can't stop laughing

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

43 minutes ago, GarnetDevil said:

High-five bro, for I've found my comrade

Also I'm having an image of some people carrying big laptops for pokemon go in the middle of the street and I can't stop laughing

I had a picture of a guy walking around a park with a shopping cart with a PC, monitor, keyboard, mouse and portable generator in it :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

4 hours ago, ModuleLFS said:

But still...I find it somewhat silly people requesting it to Microsoft rather than the game devs lmao.

That's because most Dev's won't port their apps/games to W10 Mobile unless "forced" (read: paid) to do so by Microsoft. This is the age old problem. People don't use Windows Mobile because there are no apps, and devs won't make apps because there aren't enough users.

People shit all over Microsoft for the lack of apps, but what would you do differently, if you were in charge? Microsoft already forks out tons of cash for devs, and hell, in some cases, even uses in-house Microsoft devs to create the app entirely for them, for free.

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

here what's going to happen:

niantic: sure, let me prepare google's API...

MS: we don't have access to it

niantic: well in that case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MS: 

latest?cb=20140508170204

You say that like it isn't a horribly anti-consumer, asshole, douche bag move by Google...

Google, frankly, should be ashamed of themselves for the way they treat Windows Mobile users, and the fact that they are taking every possible step they can, to block their stuff from working on Windows Mobile. Sure, there aren't a lot of Windows Mobile users. But if Microsoft is willing to put in the time and money to develop something, Google should let them use the Google Maps API (Though, Microsoft should of course follow whatever ToS there is for the API, assuming there aren't any wildly anti-competitive things in there).

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Cause google does't want it's stuff on WP

Funny that that is coming from someone who supports UWP

Google doesn't want it's stuff on WP, because they don't want more competition. If Google Apps and Services were more properly supported on Windows Mobile, the OS would be far more appealing to most people (And would thus, gain more users, and thus, devs would make more apps, etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

That's because most Dev's won't port their apps/games to W10 Mobile unless "forced" (read: paid) to do so by Microsoft. This is the age old problem. People don't use Windows Mobile because there are no apps, and devs won't make apps because there aren't enough users.

People shit all over Microsoft for the lack of apps, but what would you do differently, if you were in charge? Microsoft already forks out tons of cash for devs, and hell, in some cases, even uses in-house Microsoft devs to create the app entirely for them, for free.

It's the same issue GNU/Linux have had on the desktop for years now, and Windows users (including me) has always thrown shit at them for it. Doesn't feel so nice when you are on the receiving end now does it? If GNU/Linux is any indication, the app problem won't be solved. At least the Linux kernel was adaptable and could be used for Android and other applications. Can't say the same for Windows sadly.

You say that like it isn't a horribly anti-consumer, asshole, douche bag move by Google...

Google, frankly, should be ashamed of themselves for the way they treat Windows Mobile users, and the fact that they are taking every possible step they can, to block their stuff from working on Windows Mobile. Sure, there aren't a lot of Windows Mobile users. But if Microsoft is willing to put in the time and money to develop something, Google should let them use the Google Maps API (Though, Microsoft should of course follow whatever ToS there is for the API, assuming there aren't any wildly anti-competitive things in there).

I am actually glad that it is happening. Microsoft is finally getting a taste of their own medicine. Maybe now in the future they will think twice before using flat out illegal methods to kill their competitors.

By the way, if you followed Microsoft's YouTube app development you kind of understand why Google are not that pleased with them. Microsoft had their chance and they abused it (by implementing features like ripping videos from the site and ad blocking).

Watching Microsoft get bullied by Google is like watching the kid who used to bully you all throughout elementary school and middle school finally get beat up by a bigger guy in high school. It's something quite poetic about it. It's like karma finally caught up with them.

Google doesn't want it's stuff on WP, because they don't want more competition. If Google Apps and Services were more properly supported on Windows Mobile, the OS would be far more appealing to most people (And would thus, gain more users, and thus, devs would make more apps, etc).

Exact same thing can be said about all the Windows programs people use. The biggest example would be the Office suite on GNU/Linux.

Karma is a bitch.

If Microsoft wants more apps then they have to make the OS appealing enough to make people chance over to it. Google is willing to ignore the Windows Phone marketshare because it is so pathetically small, just like Microsoft is willing to ignore the GNU/Linux marketshare. Make it big enough to not be ignored is the only way. It is most definitely a chicken and egg problem, but it's only that way because Microsoft did (and still is doing) a horrible job with Windows phone. I still don't think they seem serious about it. They don't even have a current-gen device out. You can't half-ass your way to a significant marketshare when there are two huge players already competing in it. You have to be 2 steps ahead of your competitors at all time to win. Right now Microsoft is consistently 2 steps behind (hence their shrinking marketshare).

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It's the same issue GNU/Linux have had on the desktop for years now, and Windows users (including me) has always thrown shit at them for it. Doesn't feel so nice when you are on the receiving end now does it? If GNU/Linux is any indication, the app problem won't be solved. At least the Linux kernel was adaptable and could be used for Android and other applications. Can't say the same for Windows sadly.

I am actually glad that it is happening. Microsoft is finally getting a taste of their own medicine. Maybe now in the future they will think twice before using flat out illegal methods to kill their competitors.

By the way, if you followed Microsoft's YouTube app development you kind of understand why Google are not that pleased with them. Microsoft had their chance and they abused it (by implementing features like ripping videos from the site and ad blocking).

Watching Microsoft get bullied by Google is like watching the kid who used to bully you all throughout elementary school and middle school finally get beat up by a bigger guy in high school. It's something quite poetic about it. It's like karma finally caught up with them.

Exact same thing can be said about all the Windows programs people use. The biggest example would be the Office suite on GNU/Linux.

Karma is a bitch.

If Microsoft wants more apps then they have to make the OS appealing enough to make people chance over to it. Google is willing to ignore the Windows Phone marketshare because it is so pathetically small, just like Microsoft is willing to ignore the GNU/Linux marketshare. Make it big enough to not be ignored is the only way. It is most definitely a chicken and egg problem, but it's only that way because Microsoft did (and still is doing) a horrible job with Windows phone. I still don't think they seem serious about it. They don't even have a current-gen device out. You can't half-ass your way to a significant marketshare when there are two huge players already competing in it. You have to be 2 steps ahead of your competitors at all time to win. Right now Microsoft is consistently 2 steps behind (hence their shrinking marketshare).

I certainly understand all of your points.

And they are all 100%.

But as a consumer? I don't give a shit about Karma or about what's "fair", or about punishing Microsoft for bad practices they had in the past. They paid for those mistakes - it cost them millions upon millions of dollars, and it gave birth to the modern online ecosystem that we have, that allows Google and Firefox to be a thing (Obviously, no thanks to Microsoft).

All I care about, is that I see Google punishing me for choosing an alternative. Because I'm not mainstream enough to use Android or iOS.

Linux has that issue too, no denying it. But Linux also faces another issue: Fragmentation within the system. There are dozens of distros, with hundreds of devs all spread out working on different packages and distros and systems, often duplicating similar features dozens of times over (Of course, there's also the case where in many cases, they use the same open source code multiple times to simply "drop in" a module of some sort too).

When the average Joe looks at linux, they have no idea, because Linux isn't one thing, it's 20 different things.

Now, of course, there is some merit to that, because you've got different distros for different needs. Need a lightweight distro? Sure. Need one designed for Scientific Research, sure. Need one for mobile? No problem. But you cannot deny that there are at least a half dozen distros all trying to be the "regular desktop" distro.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Also, yes, Microsoft did abuse the API by implementing features that Google doesn't like, but so has dozens of other third party YouTube apps, many of which are still usable. I understand why Google would remove access to Microsoft's, but the fact that they for the most part, leave small independent third party apps (that have similar features) alone, kind of takes away from their nobility in the act.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I certainly understand all of your points.

And they are all 100%.

But as a consumer? I don't give a shit about Karma or about what's "fair", or about punishing Microsoft for bad practices they had in the past. They paid for those mistakes - it cost them millions upon millions of dollars, and it gave birth to the modern online ecosystem that we have, that allows Google and Firefox to be a thing (Obviously, no thanks to Microsoft).

All I care about, is that I see Google punishing me for choosing an alternative. Because I'm not mainstream enough to use Android or iOS.

Linux has that issue too, no denying it. But Linux also faces another issue: Fragmentation within the system. There are dozens of distros, with hundreds of devs all spread out working on different packages and distros and systems, often duplicating similar features dozens of times over (Of course, there's also the case where in many cases, they use the same open source code multiple times to simply "drop in" a module of some sort too).

When the average Joe looks at linux, they have no idea, because Linux isn't one thing, it's 20 different things.

Now, of course, there is some merit to that, because you've got different distros for different needs. Need a lightweight distro? Sure. Need one designed for Scientific Research, sure. Need one for mobile? No problem. But you cannot deny that there are at least a half dozen distros all trying to be the "regular desktop" distro.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Also, yes, Microsoft did abuse the API by implementing features that Google doesn't like, but so has dozens of other third party YouTube apps, many of which are still usable. I understand why Google would remove access to Microsoft's, but the fact that they for the most part, leave small independent third party apps (that have similar features) alone, kind of takes away from their nobility in the act.

well theres a difference between microsoft and some random chinese guy coding in his basement

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

see, if it were someone else other than MS on the receiving end of google's wrath, i'd care. But it's MS, so no fucks given. And as a consumer, not having google services on WP is a no problem, just means that next i have to pick a phone i'll avoid WP (which i did, went from a iPhone 4 to a Lumia 920 out of curiosity, saw crap, got the Note 2 the year after. And the rest is history). And frankly MS shouldn't complain (holding DX12 hostage to W10, holding Xbox games hostage to W10 and Windows marketplace, still no Office suit to Linux, no Visual Studio for OSX or Linux etc etc... aren't those anti consumer too? Why don't you call MS out for that too? shouldn't they be ashamed of themselves for the way they treat W7, W8, W8,1, OSX, Linux users, and the fact that they are taking every possible step to block their stuff from working on W7, W8, W8,1, OSX, Linux?)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

16 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I don't get the hype for this game. It doesn't even resemble the Pokemon I loved to play while young. It just wastes your time taking you to random places.

No trainer battles. No strategy. No challenge. No fun. 

"I don't get the hype for this game. It doesn't even resemble the Pokemon I loved to play while young."

I'm fairly certain that the goal of Pokemon Go wasn't to replicate the games exactly in a real world setting. From what I've gathered, the main selling point of this game is to be able to "see" Pokemon in the real world using augmented reality. I'm sure a good number of fans have dreamed of being able to catch wild Pokemon in real life and this get's us a lot closer to achieving that dream. Next thing you know it we'll be using AR HMD's like the Google Glass to catch and interact with them. 

"It just wastes your time taking you to random places."

How else would you catch Pokemon in AR? Sitting around sure as hell wouldn't be fun. 

"No trainer battles."

I'll have to agree that the game not having any form of pvp is kind of a downer. But as I was reminded of when the app first came out, the game just launched. We don't know what Niantic and Nintendo has in store for us. 

"No strategy. No challenge."

If Niantic implemented the same combat system Pokemon games have used in the past; it would be a big turnoff for more casual players. This game is aimed towards everyone, not just us fans who have invested a bit more time in learning the combat in the handheld games. 

Want to play Pokemon with traditional combat? The 3DS and Pokemon X/Y/ORAS has you covered. 

"No fun."

I find it fun :D

Anime Addict | Gamer | Tennis Player | Software Developer | My Outdated Beauty

17 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Surface Phone is coming. Microsoft is willing to cover cost of development for Windows 10 applications from IOS or Android.

And it's not dead. Many people use it. Not as many as IOS or Android but people still use it.

Maybe not much in North America but tons in Europe and a bit in Asia. 

If I can get a low cost phone that can run DESKTOP windows applications, that would be golden.

20 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

i'm not interested cos of Data Consumption and the fact that it's not on Windows 10 Mobile.

Actually the battery is where the problem lies, the data consumption is surprisingly low. On my phone it used 139MB in 7-8 hours of playing (I think it moght be even an hour or two more) . I can use more on this forum in half an hour or less just by browsing. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

53 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

If I can get a low cost phone that can run DESKTOP windows applications, that would be golden.

If somebody makes a phone with 3GB RAM and a Snapdragon 617 which runs Windows 10 Mobile then it should be continuum ready.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

If somebody makes a phone with 3GB RAM and a Snapdragon 617 which runs Windows 10 Mobile then it should be continuum ready.

When people say desktop applications they mean Win32 programs, not UWP or Windows Mobile apps. 

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think he meant win32 applications, which is a stupid thing to ask for in my opinion. Android doesn't run Linux desktop applications (technically it can but then it runs a virtual machine). iOS doesn't run Mac OS applications.

7 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

see, if it were someone else other than MS on the receiving end of google's wrath, i'd care. But it's MS, so no fucks given. And as a consumer, not having google services on WP is a no problem, just means that next i have to pick a phone i'll avoid WP (which i did, went from a iPhone 4 to a Lumia 920 out of curiosity, saw crap, got the Note 2 the year after. And the rest is history). And frankly MS shouldn't complain (holding DX12 hostage to W10, holding Xbox games hostage to W10 and Windows marketplace, still no Office suit to Linux, no Visual Studio for OSX or Linux etc etc... aren't those anti consumer too? Why don't you call MS out for that too? shouldn't they be ashamed of themselves for the way they treat W7, W8, W8,1, OSX, Linux users, and the fact that they are taking every possible step to block their stuff from working on W7, W8, W8,1, OSX, Linux?)

Right! Because Apple's xCode runs on Windows/Linux, right? Oh it doesn't...

But you can develop for Android on every platform! Yes, that's because Java/C++ existed on every platform before Android was even a thing...

As for holding new features hostage to new Operating Systems... Does Apple support custom keyboards on older OSes? No. 

Do Android apps support older OSes? For a while yes, but they eventually stop doing that. I doubt there's any app that still actively supports Android 2.x.

Microsoft has lately been working on porting Visual Studio features to other platforms, called Visual Studio Code.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

When people say desktop applications they mean Win32 programs, not UWP or Windows Mobile apps. 

I know. But it's unreasonable to expect that on a phone form factor.

Microsoft themselves insist that all devices under 10 inches should not run full Windows 10 Desktop and instead should run Windows 10 Mobile.

Even then, I still don't want to play Pokemon Go, although, it presents a good outlook for augmented reality and the HoloLens 

1 hour ago, ManIkWeet said:

I think he meant win32 applications, which is a stupid thing to ask for in my opinion. Android doesn't run Linux desktop applications (technically it can but then it runs a virtual machine). iOS doesn't run Mac OS applications.

Android never promised to bring the desktop to your phone, but coincidentally Canonical is making a mobile OS capable of running Liux desktop application without requiring an x86 SoC.

But you can develop for Android on every platform! Yes, that's because Java/C++ existed on every platform before Android was even a thing...

You can develop for Android an any platform, and Google even released their own IDE (Android Studio) on all three platform, and if you think all it takes to develop for Android only requires Java SDKs, then go ahead, do it, tell me how that will go.

As for holding new features hostage to new Operating Systems... Does Apple support custom keyboards on older OSes? No. 

Do Android apps support older OSes? For a while yes, but they eventually stop doing that. I doubt there's any app that still actively supports Android 2.x.

For a while, you said it yourself, yes. All of Google's own app have support all the way back to Android 4.x, MS can't even support the previous OS? laughable

Microsoft has lately been working on porting Visual Studio features to other platforms, called Visual Studio Code.

Than doesn't even count as an IDE, fucking gedit does more than it

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Android never promised to bring the desktop to your phone, but coincidentally Canonical is making a mobile OS capable of running Liux desktop application without requiring an x86 SoC.

Microsoft is doing an almost identical thing with UWP. Same apps on Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile.

You can develop for Android an any platform, and Google even released their own IDE (Android Studio) on all three platform, and if you think all it takes to develop for Android only requires Java SDKs, then go ahead, do it, tell me how that will go.

Well done. To develop IOS apps you need a Mac. To develop a Windows 10 UWP app you need Windows 10 on a laptop or desktop. 

For a while, you said it yourself, yes. All of Google's own app have support all the way back to Android 4.x, MS can't even support the previous OS? laughable

No. It just means Google doesn't change much with how Android apps work.

Microsoft re-invented the foundation for apps and programs with Windows 10.

The Universal Platform isn't like Win32 at all. They remade it from scratch.

It's the equivalent of Google forcing people to use C++ in all Android apps for the next version of Android.

Than doesn't even count as an IDE, fucking gedit does more than it

It is an IDE. It may not contain all the features in the world but it is still an IDE.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft is doing an almost identical thing with UWP. Same apps on Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile.

Well done. To develop IOS apps you need a Mac. To develop a Windows 10 UWP app you need Windows 10 on a laptop or desktop. 

No. It just means Google doesn't change much with how Android apps work.

Microsoft re-invented the foundation for apps and programs with Windows 10.

The Universal Platform isn't like Win32 at all. They remade it from scratch.

It's the equivalent of Google forcing people to use C++ in all Android apps for the next version of Android.

It is an IDE. It may not contain all the features in the world but it is still an IDE.

UWP and what Ubuntu is doing are not the same thing, Ubuntu keeps legacy, UWP breaks it

It just means Google isn't there to force people to use their newest and shiny by setting up artificial barriers 

Right they can bring all the new shiny telemetry to older OSs but they cant bring DX12 to a 1 gen older OS

An IDE is composed of a code editor, a compiler or interpreter, a builder and a debugger, tell me where are the last three in VSC

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

It's not just in the past. They are still doing it.

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

My point was that you are now experiencing the exact same thing Microsoft has, and are still doing. It's just that you are on the receiving end this time.

2 hours ago, ManIkWeet said:

There is a difference though.

OS X users aren't crying about how they get "discriminated" against when a Windows program doesn't get released on OS X. Windows users do when something comes out for Android but not Windows.

The problem here is hypocrisy. They expect everyone to bow down and hand Microsoft stuff on a silver platter, but Microsoft should not have to do anything in return.

2 hours ago, ManIkWeet said:

Visual Studio Code and Visual Studio are not the same thing. Visual Studio Code is Electron (a free and open source text editor developed by GitHub) with a few Microsoft things added to it. Visual Studio is a full blown IDE. It's like comparing paint vs Photoshop. Another analogy would be that it's like comparing notepad vs Word.

59 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I know. But it's unreasonable to expect that on a phone form factor.

Microsoft themselves insist that all devices under 10 inches should not run full Windows 10 Desktop and instead should run Windows 10 Mobile.

I don't think it is unreasonable considering the push for Continuum (which is, take a phone and plug it into a big screen). Running Win32 programs on a 5" screen would be bad. Running Win32 programs on a 24" screen, powered by a device that fits inside a 5" device would not be bad.

It would be very niche, but it would at least be some USP for Windows Phone.