(Confirmed) GTX 1060 Allegedly Unveiled - 6GB for $249/299 USD

Go to solution Solved by Whiskers,

Alright, thread re-opened.

If any more insults, name-calling or crappy behaviour happens again in this thread it will be permanently locked, and those responsible will receive a good ol' barrel full o' warning points.

LTT is not the place for being a dick to one another. Discuss your differences in opinion politely or don't bother posting at all.

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Different people have different value judgements, that's fine. I don't go for any-sync so that doesn't matter to me.

Actually, if you bring in free-sync vs. g-sync to the value equation, could any nvidia card satisfy you?

When Nvidia supports freesync or cuts the money grab on the gsync module, then yes quite likely.

23 minutes ago, nosirrah123 said:

Interesting. I might just wait for the 1060 to come out before I build. Even though I was already waiting for the 480 AIB.

Then you will be waiting and waiting and waiting......there is no stop I'm getting tired of waiting for mobile pascal as well.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Can anybody tell me how better a RX 480 OR a GTX 1060 would be compared to a GTX 770?

or do I need to start a small thread for this?

Well, a 770 was similar to a 280, which is around a 960 and two 960s was a bit faster than a single 980....so my guess is that a 770 SLI would be roughly similar to an RX480 (10%~ faster?). (There are a lot of 'within 5-10% performance' comparisons....so I'm probably not particularly accurate, but it's also probably not too far off.)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Then you will be waiting and waiting and waiting......there is no stop I'm getting tired of waiting for mobile pascal as well.

You're right. I'm really sick of waiting. I've been stuck on a macbook air for years and this gonna be my first build. The waiting is killing me. Even waiting the extra 5 days for the 1060 to come out isn't really worth it to me.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

14 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Can anybody tell me how better a RX 480 OR a GTX 1060 would be compared to a GTX 770?

Calculate it from that graph, base it on the 980 or the R9 390X at the worst case scenario.

perfrel_1920_1080.png

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, nosirrah123 said:

You're right. I'm really sick of waiting. I've been stuck on a macbook air for years and this gonna be my first build. The waiting is killing me. Even waiting the extra 5 days for the 1060 to come out isn't really worth it to me.

Yeah I'm stuck on a MacBook Pro with 5100 iris,  good thing I bought fallout 3 to waste my time till then (or till I get sick enough and quit waiting).

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Different people have different value judgements, that's fine. I don't go for any-sync so that doesn't matter to me.

Actually, if you bring in free-sync vs. g-sync to the value equation, could any nvidia card satisfy you?

Adaptive sync is pretty nice to have, and your next monitor may well include Freesync at no extra cost .

Nvidia still make sense at the high end, as nothing AMD have can touch the 1080, yet. But mid and low end, it's a definite advantage for AMD.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

If we assume the GTX 1060 performs like a GTX 980 then:

RX 480 is ~70% faster.

GTX 1060 is ~90% faster.

(Based on this)

3 hours ago, lukart said:

Think, if a shop is cheaper it will run out of stock faster but since there's not many cards to restock he will be out of stock for long enough for other etailers sell the same amount of cards and earn more money.

Oh well, I didn't look at it from that perspective.
But I still don't get why you think they have problem with production. There are tons of 1080s and 1070s available here and prices are jumping up and down all the time because of so much competition.

$3oo for founders edition eh? so that means $300+ for MSI, ASUS, Galax and Gigabyte versions in my country. No thank you

54 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If we assume the GTX 1060 performs like a GTX 980 then:

RX 480 is ~70% faster.

GTX 1060 is ~90% faster.

(Based on this)

I don't see the GTX 980 more than 10% faster than the RX 480 anywhere there, let alone 20%.  But, I suppose if it's 10% at stock clocks it could gain an extra 10% on the 480 with good overclocking cards. 

edit: it's 11% in 1600x900

14 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

$3oo for founders edition eh? so that means $300+ for MSI, ASUS, Galax and Gigabyte versions in my country. No thank you

Palit Jetstream surely <$300. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Palit Jetstream surely <$300. 

Palit is the only brand that provides cheaper-than-Founders edtion cards here. 

And Asus is going all out.

trio-of-1060s.jpg

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I will be buying one of these.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

In a competitive market, you Always get what you pay for. Overall, the 390 still edges past the 480. It's a familiar comparison to the GTX 580 vs GTX 660 from years ago.

Oh and guess what? the 660 launched at 229 dollars msrp :o  while the 7850 and 7870 were $250 and $350 respectively. (also a funny tidbit, the 7870 had 1280 cores, just like the 1060).

Seems like history just keeps repeating itself, doesn't it.

Spoiler

perfrel_2560_1440.png

perfrel_1920.gif

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 hours ago, ace_cheaply said:

I don't see the GTX 980 more than 10% faster than the RX 480 anywhere there, let alone 20%.  But, I suppose if it's 10% at stock clocks it could gain an extra 10% on the 480 with good overclocking cards. 

edit: it's 11% in 1600x900

Percentage numbers can be quite confusing at times.

My numbers don't say that the 1060 is 20% faster than the RX 480, even though it might look like that's what it says. What it actually says is that the 1060 is as fast as the RX 480, plus 20% of the performance of a GTX 770.

Think of it this way.

GTX 770 gets 100 FPS.

RX 480 gets 170 FPS (170% of 100).

GTX 1060 gets 190 FPS (190% of 100).

The GTX 1060 would get the same 170 FPS as the 480, plus 20% of what the GTX 770 gets (which is 20% of 100, aka 20)

170 to 190 is a 11% increase.

That is assuming that the GTX 1060 actually performs like a GTX 980 mind you. It might be slightly slower (wouldn't surprise me if it is a few percent slower overall).

13 hours ago, Valentyn said:

$299 for the Flanders Edition? Damn, I wonder if it's going to be 2-3 weeks of Flanders only before AIBs get their cards out in small numbers :/

What does AIB mean... is it something along the lines of 3rd party board/cooler makers?

3 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

What does AIB mean... is it something along the lines of 3rd party board/cooler makers?

Add In Board "partners" would tend to be the way it's read aloud.  so yes, basically 3rd parties.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

A good point digital foundry made in their latest video was nvidia promised titan x performance for the 1070 and it was a lot better than the titan x. So if they're promising 980 performance it will be a little bit over so they don't trade blows or anything making nvidia's claims false

10 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

A good point digital foundry made in their latest video was nvidia promised titan x performance for the 1070 and it was a lot better than the titan x. So if they're promising 980 performance it will be a little bit over so they don't trade blows or anything making nvidia's claims false

I'd set my expectations below 980 performance. It's better to set the bar low and get a happy surprise, than to set the bar too high and be disappointed.

3 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

And Asus is going all out. *snip*

Sigh...

I don't get why board partners think that they need to dramatically change the looks and overall design of their cards every time there is a new generation of GPUs. We are getting to the point that board partners are just changing things for the sake of change, and it looks like garbage.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

1 hour ago, NuclearPeace said:

Sigh...

I don't get why board partners think that they need to dramatically change the looks and overall design of their cards every time there is a new generation of GPUs. We are getting to the point that board partners are just changing things for the sake of change, and it looks like garbage.

Otherwise, people will complain,"Oh, the look is so yesterday." "They cut cost by putting old cooler and PCB on the new cards."

Hopefully good versions actually cost less than the FE to compete or I bet price/performance of the AMD won't be beaten.

Even after the exchange rate equivalent+tax the price for these cards for me in Germany are always higher anyway. Cheapest GTX 1080 costs now as much as the FE should be but the FE costs even more.

Especially painful with the premium ontop of the prices of VR headsets internationally.

Rather wanna wait for an offer with less crap included for at least a bit of a cheaper price.

As I currently have a current GPU I'm not actually interested in buying the new cards but still, last time I upgraded I had to wait for a year to buy the GTX 980 Ti version that I want, first it took ages for the watercooled EVGA version to be available and then I waited for the Gigabyte waterforce version which I now use.