(Confirmed) GTX 1060 Allegedly Unveiled - 6GB for $249/299 USD

Go to solution Solved by Whiskers,

Alright, thread re-opened.

If any more insults, name-calling or crappy behaviour happens again in this thread it will be permanently locked, and those responsible will receive a good ol' barrel full o' warning points.

LTT is not the place for being a dick to one another. Discuss your differences in opinion politely or don't bother posting at all.

Considering the RX480 is in the sub $250 range in the USA, but its around $400+ here in  Australia, this card will probably be around $400-600 AUD, which is kinda stupid because they may be budget cards for america but in Australia this will burn a hole in your pocket..

3 minutes ago, AppleWhizzer said:

Considering the RX480 is in the sub $250 range in the USA, but its around $400+ here in  Australia, this card will probably be around $400-600 AUD, which is kinda stupid because they may be budget cards for america but in Australia this will burn a hole in your pocket..

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

"allegedly unveiled"

allegedly: used to convey that something is claimed to be the case or have taken place, although there is no proof.

6 minutes ago, Megazero said:

Thanks so much. Guess this card is actually in the realm of me getting it now! :)

1 hour ago, AppleWhizzer said:

Thanks so much. Guess this card is actually in the realm of me getting it now! :)

And AIB cards are launching same day as reference for 1060, which should increase the selection.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

15 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Anandtech has posted about it too.

Will be available the 19th (both FE and custom designs WOHO!!).

Ryan Smith says that it will probably have 48 ROPs (no official number released yet).

The "The performance of GTX 980" slide that was leaked is an official one and Ryan guesses that it should come pretty close.

Confirmed that the FE version does not have any SLI finger(s). We don't know if they will appear on third party versions though (probably not).

Does that mean that the custom 960s are supposed to be available immediately on the 19th?

I forget where but I think I've seen at least one person on the LTT boards mention a preference to wait for a revision 2 of a new GPU.

Does it make much difference to wait for a revision 2 or later of a graphics card?

Woo. Not buying one myself, but glad to have a decent "budget" card to recommend on the nvidia side again.

18 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

The 1080 does get a bit close, but whether this is due to demand or AIBs making use of the "founders pricing" this gets me worried about the 1060 price.

Agreed. At the same time I have a feeling that due to demand, the 1060 will sell out and it'll join its bigger brothers in terms of the jacked-up prices. Nvidia has been facing that challenge for a while now.

I'll still stick with my EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW ACX 2.0+ in the meantime. I don't plan on getting any games any time soon because money is quite tight in my situation. Upgrades will definitely come for my build after the Fall semester in college B|.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I'm drowning in tears right now xD Also that CSGOLotto burn xD

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Hmm interesting similar performance to a GTX980 as they claim.

Well lets say, first see then believe. :)

4 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Does that mean that the custom 960s are supposed to be available immediately on the 19th?

I forget where but I think I've seen at least one person on the LTT boards mention a preference to wait for a revision 2 of a new GPU.

Does it make much difference to wait for a revision 2 or later of a graphics card?

This is just semi-confirmed but it seems like the Founders Edition will be a limited time thing. So once their batch is sold out, you won't be able to get it anymore. It will also only be sold on the Nvidia website (so no Newegg, Amazon, etc) and it will only be sold by Nvidia themselves (so no Asus Founders Edition for example). Custom cooler designs will most likely launch at the same time as the Founders Edition (they have already been shown off, and without them the board partners would have nothing to sell).

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This is just semi-confirmed but it seems like the Founders Edition will be a limited time thing. So once their batch is sold out, you won't be able to get it anymore. It will also only be sold on the Nvidia website (so no Newegg, Amazon, etc) and it will only be sold by Nvidia themselves (so no Asus Founders Edition for example). Custom cooler designs will most likely launch at the same time as the Founders Edition (they have already been shown off, and without them the board partners would have nothing to sell).

That's interesting... I thought the whole point was that they wanted to keep selling them for a long time?  Keep them available for life of card and all that...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's interesting... I thought the whole point was that they wanted to keep selling them for a long time?  Keep them available for life of card and all that...

<video>

Yeah I thought so too, but this time they are calling it a "special limited edition". The source is Anandtech:

However this is where the similarities end. Unlike the GTX 1080/1070 launch, the 19th is a hard launch for both the GTX 1060FE and for partner custom cards, and NVIDIA is expecting the bulk of the cards sold to be these custom cards. In this sense the GTX 1060 launch is more akin to the GTX 960 launch, as NVIDIA has more often than not opted to pass on producing reference cards for their mainstream cards.

In fact NVIDIA’s partners won’t even be selling the GTX 1060FE; the card will only be available through NVIDIA’s website. NVIDIA is calling the GTX 1060FE a “special limited edition” card, and though the company isn’t commenting on the matter, I strongly suspect that the GTX 1060FE is a limited run that NVIDIA will only be selling for a couple of months or so. NVIDIA has done similar things in the past, though ultimately when they curtail production is entirely up to them. I do wonder how NVIDIA’s partners feel about the company competing with them in the etail market, but with NVIDIA charging a significant $50/20% price premium, the partners have a lot of room to play with and improve on the NVIDIA reference design.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah I thought so too, but this time they are calling it a "special limited edition". The source is Anandtech:

Limited Millennium Falcon edition confirmed :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

At least the 1060 won't cost 350 dollars like the 7870 reference did on launch. Nvidia's 229 dollar GTX 660 matched it's performance but those were the days.... Now AMD are pinching pennies and seeing the light when it comes to fair pricing, and Nvidia are sharpening their teeth.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

At least the 1060 won't cost 350 dollars like the 7870 reference did on launch. Nvidia's 229 dollar GTX 660 matched it's performance but those were the days.... Now AMD are pinching pennies and seeing the light when it comes to fair pricing, and Nvidia are sharpening their teeth.

I'm curious on how the 660 fares against the 7870 now...

41 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

I'm curious on how the 660 fares against the 7870 now...

Luckily Techspot does GPU benchmarks on games with a wide range of cards, and luckily they still use a 660ti and 7870 in the testing. The 660ti is 18% faster on average then reference 660 and is the same architecture, so just divide 660ti scores by 1.18 to get the possible 660 performance.

Doom 1080p: 660 min 22, avg 35. 7870 26 min and 32 Avg.

Fallout 4 1080p: 660 min 32, avg 41.5. 7870 min 34, avg 43

Overwatch 1080p actually shows the 660, but the 7870 beats it 81-63 FPS, although AMD does quite well in that game throughout.

Spoiler

1920.png

1080p.png

1080p.png

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

At least the 1060 won't cost 350 dollars

If the 1070/1080 are of any indication, it most certainly will. Unless they finally rectified whatever was wrong with their supply chain.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

6 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

If the 1070/1080 are of any indication, it most certainly will. Unless they finally rectified whatever was wrong with their supply chain.

Mobile SOC silicon aren't meant to go beyond 2GHz on large dies.

Large dies on Mobile SOC silicon is really stupid because either you get shitty clockspeeds and low power efficiency or shitty clockspeeds and bad power efficiency.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Here we go, the 1060 official MSRP. These will be 6 GB models. Now we'll see what the retailers will do. 

08131249796l.jpg

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/nvidia_confirms_the_msrp_of_the_gtx_1060_outside_the_us/1

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Here we go, the NV recommended prices. These will be 3 GB models. Now we'll see what the retailers will do. 

You mean 6 GB?

gtx1060uk.png

nvidia UK confirming pricing start at £239.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Here we go, the 1060 official MSRP. These will be 3 GB models. Now we'll see what the retailers will do. 

<table>

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/nvidia_confirms_the_msrp_of_the_gtx_1060_outside_the_us/1

Those are some aggressive prices. It is the same or lower than the RX 480 from what I can tell (in some places, quite a lot lower than the RX 480).

Now let's hope those prices are accurate, and that it actually delivers 980 performance. If that's the case then AMD will have to do some serious price drops to stay competitive.

4 minutes ago, porina said:

You mean 6 GB?

nvidia UK confirming pricing start at £239.

Actually you are right, I miss read.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Those are some aggressive prices. It is the same or lower than the RX 480 from what I can tell (in some places, quite a lot lower than the RX 480).

Now let's hope those prices are accurate, and that it actually delivers 980 performance. If that's the case then AMD will have to do some serious price drops to stay competitive.

The key "word" is MSRP. I can easily see it being priced higher than the 480 in a lot of places and lower in others. Considering I'm staying at 1080p for some time and have much more important financial stuff to worry about, I'll be getting either an AIB 480 or 1060 this year. I honestly can't wait to see what they'll give us.

I'll probably wait a few months for prices to drop since all new cards are overpriced to a ridiculous extent. I can pay a proper price, but 480 for $340 is not happening. That's the lowest i could find here.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If the price is good enough I might consider getting a non-founder's 1060 instead of a RX 480 for a new build I want to do.  

I was going to use a 480 but I'm holding off at least until I know for sure the power issue has been fixed on the non-reference 480s.