AMD once again violating power specifications? (AMD RX-480)

Majestic
13 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Nope, 6 more hours. So far, so good. Also, no, I mean mathematics that prove, without testing needed, various things. Why does calculus work? It can be proved that it works. Why does physics work? Because the calculus says it will.

That's so deterministic. I agree for the macro of things.

I am truly disappointed by this stupid lame "specs" about it being the value king and finally performance per watt/dollar.

Someone who wants to build a budget gaming PC won't buy a high-end Asus  ROG Z170 with a lying like a crook RX480.

Damn it! I really wanted AMD to be finally the king an gain some marketshare and now this is fucked.

Now the question arise: what about the Vega? I simply no longer will believe their bullshit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 minute ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

This topic is HOOOTTT!!

Hotter than Hawaii and Fiji combined!

That's almost half as hot as a Fermi card!

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

58 minutes ago, Notional said:

Or close to my GTX 970 under full load (its that low in the silicon lottery that it runs near 80oC after a cleaning+MX 4 as the TIM. I'm never going with liquid metal as a solution BTW-it doesn't seem to last.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Notional said:

GTX 480

41989_grillforce.jpg

RX 480

CH-mZyBXAAAhtDK.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Fuck that was a good read. Easily one of the top 100 reads I've done. Although, to be fair, most of those reads were reading the Harry Potter series and re-reading it...

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

Any math that can predict is based off of some real world measurement.  That is all I am saying.  Life exists without math.  Math does not exist on earth without life.

...and did they give you free cashews or what?

Have a good flight.

3 free meals. Roasted chicken and vegetables, omelet, and a pasta dish.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

3 free meals. Roasted chicken and vegetables, omelet, and a pasta dish.

That doesn't sound that bad actually.

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

That doesn't sound that bad actually.

That's "free" meals, not free meals... on a flight that probably costs around ... IDK $1000?

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

That's "free" meals, not free meals... on a flight that probably costs around ... IDK $1000?

HAHAHAHA! $3100. Across the whole Pacific with a refueling stop in China. Good thing it's on company dime...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

HAHAHAHA! $3100. Across the whole Pacific with a refueling stop in China. Good thing it's on company dime...

Whoa.

Are you getting any spare time in China to peek out a window or two?

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Whoa.

Philadelphia to San Francisco, plane change, to Beijing w/refueling, to Brisbane.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

@LAwLz*snip*

So, the 75 W slot is rated at 12 volts, 5.5 amps, +/- 8%... so 12 * 5.5 * 1.08 =  71.28 W... what?

3 hours ago, Valentyn said:

*snip*

So in one game the 480 falls short of the 970 and in another it's basically at 980 ti performance?  Hm...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So, the 75 W slot is rated at 12 volts, 5.5 amps, +/- 8%... so 12 * 5.5 * 1.08 =  71.28 W... what?

So in one game the 480 falls short of the 970 and in another it's basically at 980 ti performance?  Hm...

cr7ml.jpg

21 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Whoa.

Are you getting any spare time in China to peek out a window or two?

We had 20 mins, but I'm in the air, 30 minutes to Australia's northern shore.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You forgot the 3.3V rail.

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

We had 20 mins, but I'm in the air, 30 minutes to Australia's northern shore.

The home stretch!  :D

So is a 480 going to ruin most motherboards from using too much power or something?

I'm planning to get a 480 once some non-reference versions are available but not if it'll destroy whatever I put it in.

8 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So is a 480 going to ruin most motherboards from using too much power or something?

I'm planning to get a 480 once some non-reference versions are available but not if it'll destroy whatever I put it in.

Ugh... So, did you find that list of motherboard failures?

Still waiting on those.

Note: it might take a few weeks or even a month(s).  If this is really an issue the mobo failures will start rolling in.

53 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

You forgot the 3.3V rail.

Hm I suppose I did :D 

But that brings it up to 76 W basically (not counting the +/- range this time)... did they just round it off then?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I hope they fix this by the time I buy a new graphics card. Because the performance wasnt too bad and the price is a little easier to do.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Ugh... So, did you find that list of motherboard failures?

Still waiting on those.

Note: it might take a few weeks or even a month(s).  If this is really an issue the mobo failures will start rolling in.

I have no idea what you're talking about sorry.  I was just asking if this is an actual problem or not.  I know you can ruin a CPU or GPU if you pump too much power through them so it stands to reason that a motherboard can have the same problem if a GPU draws too much doesn't it?