AMD once again violating power specifications? (AMD RX-480)

Majestic
1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well that was a lot of reading to catch up... did everyone actually reach a conclusion about everything or did we just give up and move on? :P

yes the conclusion is: Ryan, get on skype more often. It is fun to be had and we miss you?

WHO CARES ????? Just buy an aftermarket one. These reference samples are completely nonsense from the beginning. A company lied to us. as if it's the first time to happen...

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well that was a lot of reading to catch up... did everyone actually reach a conclusion about everything or did we just give up and move on? :P

I think people finally got too tired from fighting and decided to wait for some official reports about what is going on. So now I think everyone has switched to trashing Asus for adding gaudy LEDs to an already overly power hungry card. Kek

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

1 minute ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

WHO CARES ????? Just buy an aftermarket one. These reference samples are completely nonsense from the beginning. A company lied to us. as if it's the first time to happen...

Those aftermarket 8-pin, 1500mhz cards will probably pull 250 watts, just watch.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 minute ago, DevilishBooster said:

I think people finally got too tired from fighting and decided to wait for some official reports on what is going on. So now I think everyone has switched to trashing Asus for adding gaudy LEDs to an already overly power hungry card. Kek

overly power hungry.

top kek

R9 295x2 says hello

10 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

After firing all their human labour and replacing with robots on the assembly line, Asus can probably afford to decorate their cards like Time Square christmas trees.

Those automated production line PCB solder points looks so neat.  :)

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

overly power hungry.

top kek

R9 295x2 says hello

Well, to be fair, if you invite a world class heavy weight MMA fighter to your diner table, you plan for it and aren't surprised when he eats just about everything, leaving just a couple pickles and some chips for you. But when you little shit-head cousin that weighs 120 lbs soaking wet shows up for the weekend and then proceeds to eat every scrap of food in the house and then orders several pizzas on your credit card, you tend to get a little upset... xD

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

overly power hungry.

top kek

R9 295x2 says hello

Let's not forget the GTX 480, rated at 250W, was seen pushing over 300W during max load back in the day; using more power than the dual gpu 5970.

Got a pal in my WoW guild that's only now looking to upgrade his Asus ARES I graphics card as well, thing also exceeded power draw ratings and he's been gaming on it in the same system since it's release week.

Hell, I recently replaced my old man's GTX 470 with a second hand reference 580 in his little Silvertone Sugo 05 chassis that he uses for Solidworks. Kinda surprised that little PSU is still chugging along, and that cheap Asrock m-ITX mobo

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Let's not forget the GTX 480, rated at 250W, was seen pushing over 300W during max load back in the day; using more power than the dual gpu 5970.

It is rather ironic you mentioned that card in particular. AMD, you and your brilliant naming schemes...

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 minute ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

It is rather ironic you mentioned that card in particular. AMD, you and your brilliant naming schemes...

it's everyone - intel, nvidia, amd - I even made a thread about how name overlaps have gotten out of control xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Got a pal in my WoW guild that's only now looking to upgrade his Asus ARES I graphics card as well, thing also exceeded power draw ratings and he's been gaming on it in the same system since it's release week.

Hell, I recently replaced my old man's GTX 470 with a second hand reference 580 in his little Silvertone Sugo 05 chassis that he uses for Solidworks. Kinda surprised that little PSU is still chugging along, and that cheap Asrock m-ITX mobo

sadly the 295x2s official TDP IS 450w.. and it doesnt draw much more either.

16 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

None of this cases are over-drawing power from PEG a.k.a. the mobo itself instead of the PSU.

I feel we should have this as an automated response since everyone fails to even causally read the OP.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

None of this cases are over-drawing power from PEG a.k.a. the mobo itself instead of the PSU.

I feel we should have this as an automated response since everyone fails to even causally read the OP.

true, but the 960, 980Ti and 750Ti does. Although i bet you wont actually believe that even if i supplied evidence.

true, but the 960, 980Ti and 750Ti does. Although i bet you wont actually believe that even if i supplied evidence.

If it's a known source I would actually, might even put me at ease to get a 480 myself since it's available locally to me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If it's a known source I would actually, might even put me at ease to get a 480 myself since it's available locally to me.

Don't you dare waste your money on the ref. card.

What about the ribbon theory?  The ribbon lessens voltage (leaking voltage) to the GPU resulting in a higher power draw requirement from the PCI-E slot.

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

its a compilation from skype, dun have the articles. Not me that dug it up.

1467278576107.jpg

As for the 750Ti

here is the article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-20.html

Here is picture of the card tested (better angle then the one at Tom's)

gtx750ti-1-rs.jpg

Notice: NO 6-PIN. There is space for it on the PCB. But it is not actually there.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

1467278576107.jpg

As for the 750Ti

here is the article:

gtx750ti-1-rs.jpg

Notice: NO 6-PIN. There is space for it on the PCB. But it is not actually there.

Is not as consistently above 75 but it is fairly above. I guess the only precaution should be running 480 crossfire, unless you want actual fires to break.

-------

Current Rig

-------

29 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

it's everyone - intel, nvidia, amd - I even made a thread about how name overlaps have gotten out of control xD 

Yup, they're running out of numbers for names haha. Won't belong before the next AMD Fury card is called the FURY RAGE  and we're back the 90's :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Is not as consistently above 75 but it is fairly above. I guess the only precaution should be running 480 crossfire, unless you want actual fires to break.

nah, youll just break the PCIe port.

traces should be fine according to PCperspectives article.

Also, 6 pin can handle like 150w on its own if you want to push it to its limit. A single 8-pin maxes out at 296w load before it hits its theoretical maximum.

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

1467278576107.jpg

As for the 750Ti

here is the article:

gtx750ti-1-rs.jpg

I'd call that going near full retard. Even my GTX 650ti has a 6 pin connector (as it happens-still uses no where near 150W with maximum core and memory clocks).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Yup, they're running out of numbers for names haha. Won't belong before the next AMD Fury card is called the FURY RAGE  and we're back the 90's :P

RAGE FURY MAXX.

playing at MAXX details

with MAXX resolution

and RAGING overclocking

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

After Watt man, the RX FuryMan!

7 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Don't you dare waste your money on the ref. card.

Good point so let me play devil's advocate for the sake of argument: Most cases this will stay at 160 to 160 watts. The reference card is junky but I understand they ran tests with fairly standard fan curve to be kind of quiet. Wouldn't just bumping to 75% fan speed on the curve basically means it's ok?

Besides whichever I end up getting (480 or 1070) I plan on eventually putting on water so I actually want a reference or founders.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Good point so let me play devil's advocate for the sake of argument: Most cases this will stay at 160 to 160 watts. The reference card is junky but I understand they ran tests with fairly standard fan curve to be kind of quiet. Wouldn't just bumping to 75% fan speed on the curve basically means it's ok?

Besides whichever I end up getting (480 or 1070) I plan on eventually putting on water so I actually want a reference or founders.

on water?

like linus put a mac on water?

also, top kek

160 to 160

atleast AMD is consistent aye?

If your PC is in another room, sure.  :D