Valve Files Trademark For...

Blingy

This might be fake...

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Companies do this even if they are not going to make a game or service related to it, so that they protect their IP's if they decide to do it in the future. 

For example, if some random company made a product/service called Half-Life 3 before Valve trademarked the name, it would be fair game. 

This doesn't mean they are going to be doing it. It just means they are leaving the option open in the future to do it if they decide to.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The game will be finished eventually...but I think its awesome how deep people will go to try and find information!

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

This would be stupid. Why trademark "Half-Life" with the number 3? They already own the name "Half-Life." Obvious fake.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure their possession (and ongoing use) of the Half-Life trademark covers them for this kind of sequel. IIRC, Microsoft took down a pre-existing xbox news website named "www.xboxone.com" (after the new console was announced) on the basis that they already owned the trademark on "xbox".

Huh... Well, that is interesting.

I mean, if they already have Half Life trademarked, why bother Half Life 3 if they aren't actually making Half Life 3? 

.... Half Life 3 Confirmed.

Maybe the SteamOS and SteamBox is why it hasn't been released yet. Gabe wanted it on his own OS/Hardware, even if it is just a name on it. 

Eh. I could see him doing that.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Half-Life 3 = SteamOS exclusive maybe?

It would be a bold move but they have some experience with it.

Would any of us ever use Steam if we weren't forced by HL2? I hated it back then but now I can't see myself without it

THE LEGEND NEVER DIES

Would any of us ever use Steam if we weren't forced by HL2? I hated it back then but now I can't see myself without it

Well that's a bit different to making it exclusive to one particular operating system. Steam was just a little client side software.

Also valve has pledged to continue supporting windows/mac. Doubt they would abandon windows yet, the negative PR would be immense

I'm not sure they would develop HL3 for SteamOS only. We techies of course would install SteamOS anyways, but that would be quite a risky move with the hordes of console/casual gamers out there.

Interesting....

Well you aren't exactly going to be forced, if steamos is what it says it is, there's pretty much not many reasons to not use steamos (once it gets sorted out which will take a few iterations)

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Maybe they would launch it first for SteamOS and a couple months later to the other systems? Improved performance on SteamOS?

I can't see why they won't even announce it yet (having EP2 ending the way it ended) if it doesn't have any relation with SteamOS whatsoever.

THE LEGEND NEVER DIES

I'm probably delusional but I dont care, I'm happy :)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Huh... Well, that is interesting.

I mean, if they already have Half Life trademarked, why bother Half Life 3 if they aren't actually making Half Life 3? 

.... Half Life 3 Confirmed.

Maybe the SteamOS and SteamBox is why it hasn't been released yet. Gabe wanted it on his own OS/Hardware, even if it is just a name on it. 

Eh. I could see him doing that.

Valve is required to use the trademark within a set amount of time(usually 3 months to 3 years, depending on if you get an extension), or they'll lose the trademark.

I don't know if they lose the Half Life trademark as well(doubt it) if they don't use the Half Life 3 trademark within the alloted time, but every single trademark Valve has filed has always been used.

So yes, this is pretty much a valid indication of Half Life 3 coming to fruition, but it all depends on when they are going to release/announce it. It could be next month, next year, or in three+ years depending on the trademark.

It's just a copyright. Doesn't mean it's here.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

It's just a copyright. Doesn't mean it's here.

Not gunna happen.

And if it does it will be a complete failure, no game could ever meet up to the hype that HL3 will have

Actually, regarding that, they have to use the trademark on something within 3 years (approximately) or they lose it. It isn't a permanent thing. You either use it or lose it. 

So it is pretty much confirmed imo.

† Christian Member †