Parents won't let me spend my money?

Drkrinklez
2 minutes ago, themaniac said:

so your saying you cant get through the day without lunch, and that $10 cant get you anything, i'm 15 and i most of the time skip breakfest and lunch and i'm fine, and instead of buying cards willynilly you should save up your money for more important stuff, its best to save as much money as you can

OP can just make lunch at home and that would be spending family money and they won't mind and that $10 dollars can be saved everyday ... it adds up

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, Drkrinklez said:

Important stuff like what? Clothes? I have enough

like your future

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

2 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

OP can just make lunch at home and that would be spending family money and they won't mind and that $10 dollars can be saved everyday ... it adds up

They don't give me any money, I just got a bunch of money from graduation from family and they won't let me spend it. The only things they let me buy were 2 hats for 20 bucks. The steam summer sale is coming too, and that is a limit of 10 dollars. So pretty much I have 10 dollars only to spend on food cards and steam. 

4 minutes ago, Drkrinklez said:

They don't give me any money, I just got a bunch of money from graduation from family and they won't let me spend it. The only things they let me buy were 2 hats for 20 bucks. The steam summer sale is coming too, and that is a limit of 10 dollars. So pretty much I have 10 dollars only to spend on food cards and steam. 

Well if they have money you have no control ... ripo

Magical Pineapples

2 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Well if they have money you have no control ... ripo

I don't think your under standing my situation. I have 200 bucks but they will only let me spend 10 of it on food cards and games. Not 10 dollars each, but 10 dollars for all of it. After that I can't spend it anymore. 

1 minute ago, Drkrinklez said:

I don't think your under standing my situation. I have 200 bucks but they will only let me spend 10 of it on food cards and games. Not 10 dollars each, but 10 dollars for all of it. After that I can't spend it anymore. 

Well just ask them for 10 dollar per day ... and in 20 days you have all your money. 

Magical Pineapples

3 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

I agree with @Suika. My parents are the exact same way. When I made money, my mom would only let me spend half of it.

Saving money is a fantastic lesson to learn earlier than later. Your parents may seem like a butt now, but you will thank when you get into college and you start realizing that every penny matters. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't treat yourself - it just means spend your money wisely. 

$38 isn't a lot of money, but you could have spent $15-20 and saved the rest. Save to save, because you never know when you may need extra money in your pocket. I generally use my paycheck to for the necessities first (gas next two weeks, tithes, some groceries) and spend 30% of what I made on whatever I want. Then I save the rest.

Now, I know you're 14 and all of that is paid for you by your parents, but it's good to spend a certain amount of your money monthly or bi-weekly. Your parents are instilling valuable lessons in you. Don't take it for granted!

This is the response I wanted. Thank you for the advice. It just kind of ticks me off that they won't let me bring 50 dollars even though there's no way I'll spend more than 30. I'll still have much more left but they don't trust me after I spend the 38 dollars.

I'm 13 and I've only spent most of my money twice. Once when I got a once in a lifetime opportunity to go to Greece and London, and the second for my PC which after talking to my dad, I decided to give it to my brother after 4 years so I can have a better PC in High School for CAD and engineering

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, Drkrinklez said:

How can I convince them other wise?

Start listening to them or wait until you're no longer a minor. Your choice!

There is a third option, start earning money from a source other than your parents. That way they never have a chance to withhold the funds anyway.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I think you get the general saving idea that most users here have tried to tell you, so that's good. I won't repeat it again. As for how you can get them to let you spend more money, you'll have to give it time. Show them that you can control your spending, and make notes of how much you spend when you go out. Perhaps download a budget app and use that as proof as well. If you can show that you're spending with saving in mind (say, putting the money you didn't spend into a high interest savings account) then they might give you more. Summer's here. Perhaps be proactive and try making some money. Lawns always need mowing, and even some landscaping companies would likely be happy to hire some help.

1 hour ago, thekeemo said:

Im saying you shouldnt be getting anything in my opinion. Also you know how many cookies you can get for $10?!

Pieces of fruit ;) Don't suggest junk food!

1 hour ago, Suika said:

Your parents are trying to teach you to value money. You're complaining that $10 isn't enough for good food when that's usually my weekly budget for dining out (I bring my own food to work as often as possible). I mean, how else could I afford my 5930k and GTX 1080?

I really wish I had your self-discipline! I've been saying for months I should pack my own lunch, yet I still spend $30 a day on food.

Well...a better job could afford you those items pretty easily...

54 minutes ago, Drkrinklez said:

My dad is very loving and caring. But when it comes to money, he won't let me spend it on something I want. Isn't that wrong?

Not if it's a large portion of all of the money you have. There are many things in life that require a back up fund.

Perhaps show that you have one that you're not touching, and add to it whenever you get money.

That will show some forethought.

51 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

That sounds quite a bit racist.

Not me being a Tumblr feminazi, but seriously.

I don't see how that's racist at all. Sounds pretty accurate in my experience.

32 minutes ago, themaniac said:

so your saying you cant get through the day without lunch, and that $10 cant get you anything, i'm 15 and i most of the time skip breakfest and lunch and i'm fine, and instead of buying cards willynilly you should save up your money for more important stuff, its best to save as much money as you can

Skipping those meals is a horrible idea, especially at that age, and especially breakfast!

As for saving everything...I can't quite agree. At your guys age you should spend a little, there's no point in missing out on things you might enjoy because you're being too frugal.

27 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I wouldn't assume that's per day.

24 minutes ago, Drkrinklez said:

I think you have to look at how much money you had vs how much money you spent. If you only had $250 to your name, and you spent $38 in one night on food and cards, then that's 1/5 of your money on non essential items.

I do get your argument with the 'what if I was saving for cards' though. Maybe bring that up to them? It's a hobby, and it does require investment, so you should be able to spend a little more there.

As for the Steam sale, you said they only let you spend $10 when you go out? You wouldn't be going out. ;)

Also $10 can be a few games.

8 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I'm 13 and I've only spent most of my money twice. Once when I got a once in a lifetime opportunity to go to Greece and London, and the second for my PC which after talking to my dad, I decided to give it to my brother after 4 years so I can have a better PC in High School for CAD and engineering

You had enough to buy a PC when you were 9?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I'm going to give it to him in 4 years sorry

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

If only you knew how easy you have it...

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I'm going to give it to him in 4 years sorry

Haha no need to be sorry, that would have been...impressive and odd at the same time :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Haha no need to be sorry, that would have been...impressive and odd at the same time :P

I would have had a potato PC then not a semi-decent one :P

Spoiler

AXIOM

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Pieces of fruit ;) Don't suggest junk food!

How about coffee? Coffee is good for you right? (extra cream or arabic)

Speaking of having enough to buy a PC at 9 I think between the age of 9 and 14 the amount of money I had grew I want to say tenfold.

Black is good

Red is OP as is

Untitled.png

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

This thread pops up all too often on these forums, and the end response is always the same.

You live with them, and must abide by their rules. That's basically the be all, end all. They only allow you to carry $10 at a time? cheat the system. Hide that $10 you get in a shoe or something, and wait for the next $10. As for the "$10 isn't even enough for food" remark, I beg to differ. You'd be surprised how filling peanut butter is when you are on a very strict budget. Buy jar of peanut butter, buy a loaf of bread, and you can eat for days, lol. 

My parents never had to do this for me, but that was because i worked for $80 a week cleaning toilets from 12 years old, all the way until I was 16. Not exactly a glamorous job, and certainly not one that paid much. It was well below minimum wage too. However, I did not waste that money either, as I knew exactly how hard it was to come by. Even as a kid, you can turn money, into more money. Got a hobby or craft you excel at? Make money off of it. If you are good at art, buy art supplies and sell your work. Same with woodworking or metalworking. 

My advice to you (and to some extent, your parents) is to take a raw percentage of what you earn, and put it back. The rest of the percentage should be spent freely as you choose to do so. Once you stop earning, you lose the ability to spend. This will make you want to remain active in your money-making endeavors. The money that is saved, cannot be touched without permission of your parents. Both parties get what they want in a situation like that.

If your parents are anything like mine, you are in for a world of hurt once you start driving. Insurance and gas money is not cheap. Especially if you are a male ( for some reason, males cost more to insure) and especially if you drive an old 99' Chevy Suburban. 44 gallon tank is not easy to fill, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Personally, I don't think money you get from your family is technically yours. You wouldn't have it if your parent's weren't supporting you so I think it's fair if they get mad at you for spending $38 in a day. If you're saying you have $200 and you spent $38, that's 19% of your savings that you spent. My parents wouldn't let me spend much when I was young and I am very happy that they did. I am much better off now financially because of it. 

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Skipping those meals is a horrible idea, especially at that age, and especially breakfast!

As for saving everything...I can't quite agree. At your guys age you should spend a little, there's no point in missing out on things you might enjoy because you're being too frugal.

usually if i do have breakfast its just toast and for lunch its usually just a ham sandwich, if i'm hungry i'll have breakfast/lunch, as for saving, i didn't say save everything, just save up for more important stuff which could be taken many ways, as for me not buying stuff thats just down to me saving up for a system to play games decently and nothing really interests me so i tend not to bye stuff

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Wow, I've been having it way too good about money.

It tells that I could learn something from this thread, considering I'm 150 years old

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I really wish I had your self-discipline! I've been saying for months I should pack my own lunch, yet I still spend $30 a day on food.

Well...a better job could afford you those items pretty easily...

Trust me when I say I slip up often, but the general goal is $10/week. It's something to ease into.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

9 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

How about coffee? Coffee is good for you right? (extra cream or arabic)

Speaking of having enough to buy a PC at 9 I think between the age of 9 and 14 the amount of money I had grew I want to say tenfold.

Black is good

Red is OP as is

If you need a good laxative, it sure is! Or maybe that's just me... :P:(

Perhaps, but there's always ways to get a cash infusion. Summer work ftw. When I was his age I always had little summer jobs to do. I don't think I had money at 9. At least not money I could touch. There was no real reason for me to have any, either. The world sure is changing. Now I feel old.

9 minutes ago, MageTank said:

You'd be surprised how filling peanut butter is when you are on a very strict budget. Buy jar of peanut butter, buy a loaf of bread, and you can eat for days, lol. 

My parents never had to do this for me, but that was because i worked for $80 a week cleaning toilets from 12 years old, all the way until I was 16. Not exactly a glamorous job, and certainly not one that paid much. It was well below minimum wage too. However, I did not waste that money either, as I knew exactly how hard it was to come by. Even as a kid, you can turn money, into more money. Got a hobby or craft you excel at? Make money off of it. If you are good at art, buy art supplies and sell your work. Same with woodworking or metalworking. 

My advice to you (and to some extent, your parents) is to take a raw percentage of what you earn, and put it back. The rest of the percentage should be spent freely as you choose to do so. Once you stop earning, you lose the ability to spend. This will make you want to remain active in your money-making endeavors. The money that is saved, cannot be touched without permission of your parents. Both parties get what they want in a situation like that.

If your parents are anything like mine, you are in for a world of hurt once you start driving. Insurance and gas money is not cheap. Especially if you are a male ( for some reason, males cost more to insure) and especially if you drive an old 99' Chevy Suburban. 44 gallon tank is not easy to fill, lol. 

Peanut butter's also pretty high in protein for what it is, and if you get the low fat version (tastes the exact same) it's not tooo bad for you. ;)

Males cause a great deal of the accidents, so it makes sense. Testosterone and stupid decisions.
Haha, perhaps you should have made a better vehicle choice ;) I don't think there are many vehicles worse than a Suburban on gas!

11 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I would have had a potato PC then not a semi-decent one :P

Haha, yessss.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Drkrinklez said:

But 10 dollars! I can't get anything with 10 dollars!

Look, no self-respecting adult is going to side with you on this.  I promise you that you should be spending your money on better things.  If you have a deck of cards, that's all you need.  Play with them.  Then if you want more, you can trade your friends for them.

And $10 is MORE than enough to buy lunch, A meal at McDonalds cost like $6 so don't go saying you "cant even get something to eat".

You do need to save money and learn the value of money, and I'm sorry, there is no amount of cards that are worth $38.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

The fact is, if the OP earned the money then its his to spend. My parents told me if I wanted something, like when I wanted a PS2. I had to buy it myself. So I saved up all my bday and holiday money. Id take jobs watching pets while people were away. I saved. Thats how I learned to manage money. Hell I been out of Work for a year now and still have thousands of dollars to my name. Its the OP's money. All his parents can do is give good financial advice. Which is what my parents did. Which is why I have money and my sister is generally broke, because she didnt listen. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Drkrinklez said:

But 10 dollars! I can't get anything with 10 dollars!

you can get an arizona and slice of pizza, thats my daily lunch at work, only $8